Is it botnet?

Is it botnet?

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8595335
seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q4/592
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658#206
freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-journal-gatewayd.service.html
pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/6wij3k/wwwarchlinuxorg_being_accessed_by_something_every/
git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/20-connectivity.conf?h=packages/networkmanager
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nah, it's just a bag of obfuscated exploits force fed to every mainstream distro to the extend that they had to suicide a dev.

Its botnet

It's a rootkit.

>shitstaind

Arguably, but it's more a pile of shit than anything. Stay away from garbage Poettering-ware.

Maybe, but the code is so convoluted and obfuscated we'll never really know.

Literally Linux cancer.

>Systemd-resolved DNS cache poisoning
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8595335
seclists.org/oss-sec/2014/q4/592
>DNS server INCLUDED IN SYSTEMD default to using Google nameservers
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658#206

Yes, yes it is.

I don't care. I rather use it than fuck around with alsa.

t. redhat

No one really knows. There's too many lines of code to properly audit.

You don't need SystemD to run PulseAudio.

Right now you don't. But how long do you expect that to last? you know pulseD or audioD is coming.

why not kickstart an audit?

Include a bad practices audit.

really why has nobody done a fork of systemd but without all the bloat?

just runit

Regardless of whether it is or I hate how it's bloating up and taking over more and more of the operating system.

Just fucking fork off to systemOS already and leave us in peace.

Lennart wants to free linux from POSIX oppression

it's a privilege escalation mechanism

>Is it botnet?
No, comrade, is virus.

because the people who hate systemd the most also like the unix™ way of doing things, and openrc/runit/sysvinit is already here

It's not ppl.
It's unix.
Unix does things the unix way and that's why unix has been alive for over than3 decades.
Pöttering-ware does things the wrong way, so not only it is destined to die because it doesn't follow the unix way, the right way, of doing things, but also during its agonizing moments till death comes, it is making everybody's life difficult.
Pötterening is a good code monkey. He understands how stuff works, he does a nice job on understanding the documentation, but he lacks every skill any person has over code monkeys...and that's building quality software.
>he has to have the ability to build s/w the right way, it's veen picked up by most distros.
No, he just works at redhat and every piece of crap they test in fedora takes momentum even if it's crap. Same situation happens with google "projects".

There was an effort to called uselessd but they quickly figured out that systemd is entirely shit and not really worth forking. OpenRC works great and even supports cgroups.

Very botnet, there's little surprise that the author works for Redhat.

I use Devuan now thanks to this shitheap.

I tried devuan but it's not ready yet. It still pulls in systemd packages and it doesn't use eudev.

You can run it without udev and pulse can be removed, you can have a Poettering-free experience, but by default it has some considerations for Gnome / KDE.

No.

I know but for now it's much easier to get a Poettering free experience on Gentoo.

Most likely no. Is it a heap of trash, with plenty of vulnerabilities and generally a pain in the ass to use? Yes. Runit works much better for me.

I'm a long time Debian user and just don't like to change. For me Devuan is a great choice.

Why hasn't this been done?

After countering the chance for corruption or """suicides""", this would work.

By the time it finished 90% of the code will have changed.

Systemd was Redhat's plan to make Ian off himself.

>but by default it has some considerations for Gnome / KDE.

thats RETARDED

fuck gnome
fuck kde
i use debian with fucking openbox, fluxbox, or icewm
FUCK

what distro should i switch to? the answer is clearly not devuan. actually it seems obvious, its gentoo

gentoo here i come!

this

It's not evil by design. It is lacking of design

Isn't systemd the default on Gentoo as well?

>"""suicides"""
(((suicides)))

looking for devs, devuan-buntu, new distro, this time we'll get it right! lllooolll

don't forget the web server!
> freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-journal-gatewayd.service.html

F

I've recently switched from Arch to Void to avoid systemdick. Should I get rid of pulseaudio too and settle for just alsa or will I run into compatibility issues? I want to get this faggot's shit out of my system.

it is not

>itt a bunch of fags that still don't know what a botnet is after all these years

but alsa is even worse

No, and it's unlikely it ever will be. You have the option to switch to systemd if for some reason you want to but the default is OpenRC.

>tripfags defend systemd
What a shocking development.

Stay systemd free user.

The only compatibility issue I've encountered is that firefox uses pulse by default. I just used the -pulseaudio use flag to compile it for alsa in Gentoo but I don't know if void can do that. There's a wrapper called apulse that acts as a pulse receiver and forwards audio to alsa that one of the Gentoo devs made.

>Implying
Systemd is cancer. But that doesn't change the fact that you faggots don't know what a botnet is

Im closing this thread down.

Botnet is Sup Forums slang for anything that spies on you.

Just installed void on my Beaglebone pocket
Feels good man

Just so you know, there is a mini-fork of arch called artix with openrc.

That doesn't make it any less incorrect. I can call shit a cheeseburger, but would you eat it?

ALSA is the sane option if you want to avoid crazy scenarios like no sound in one place and sound in another. Seriously, poetteringware is broken. Only remember to unmute all channels and use this guide pastebin.com/EsR0mgLv
And if by any chance you want more channels get either dmix or "apulse".

why are you shilling for literal botnets? seriously, quit defending botnets, youre standing in the way of progress towards a botnet free society

Does this work with multiple sounds at once?

If you mean dmix/apulse, yes, that is what is for. The creator specifically developed apulse to solve a problem he had with skype iirc.

Shit, I might try this then. Pulseaudio used to just werk for me, but I've actually had a few issues lately.

Is this your first week here?
Drop the stupid name and trip, and stop posting for a while until you understand enough to not make a fool of yourself.

Linux itself is a botnet.

I mean the whole kernel development thing depends on the whims of one guy, Torvalds. If he says no, then no it is.

I don't what clearer example of a one man-controlled botnet you want than this.

i love systemd
my favorite thing is systemd-nspawn.

it's fucking easy as shit to get a container up and running with isolated networking.

i also like systemd-timers and systemctl in general because you can script a ton of shit much easier than using line editors to manage crontabs or start scripts.

just my opinion man

I agree Systemd does look bad based on the arguments I hear from both sides. I'm not knowledgeable enough to be able to check for myself though, and I've used Linux for a long time but only Mint, the noob distro.

I want to find a distro that
- doesn't use systemd
- uses apt
- uses .deb packages
Does that even exist?

systemd alone, no. But the whole packages in your Linux are sniffing you out. Linux is not secure as dumb stupid fucks thinks. NSA have all your arses.

THere is no "default" in gentoo

Source?

t. poettering shills

FUCKING KILL YOURSELVES

>I'm not knowledgable enough
Say no more
This is an extended autistic shit fit over stuff that does not matter to anybody at all
Don't fall for the trap of repping pointless software ideologies just to fit in on an anonymous imageboard

Devuan. It's Debian sans SystemD.

>getting rid of one huge attack surface does nothing to contribute to security

Systemd comes from Red Hat. Red Hat, in the Linux world, is the company with the largest ties to the US government and the various state security organizations around the world--including NSA. The US government (DoD) is Red Hat's number one customer. Red Hat also happens to be Lennart Poettering's employer.

The Linux kernel, I believe, is clean. As long as Linus lives, you're not going to subvert the kernel. Let's just assume that is true for the sake of argument. If you can't get into the kernel, what is your next option? You need something low level (PID 1?), ubiquitous, and vast in scope and complexity.

This describes systemd perfectly. It was almost like it was designed to touch as much of a Linux system as possible. It has hooks into some many different subsystems and APIs that it's almost impossible to build a modern distro with current software without pulling in systemd as a dependency. This happened almost overnight, and I think there are malicious forces at work here.

We must remember Heart Bleed. Heart Bleed appeared to be an innocent mistake, and it was a tiny typo in one line of a C program. If it's possible to do that much damage with a tiny little error, imagine when you have an attack surface as wide as systemd, written in a language like C that is almost designed to produce security holes when not written absolutely perfectly--and humans are not absolutely perfect programmers.

Systemd is dangerous. It's too big to be audited as quickly as its developed. It's complexity adds as much attack surface to a Linux system as the kernel itself. We can't get away from these facts. Shitfighting about init systems is a waste of our time. Sytemd is horrible because of where it comes from and how complex it is. Backdoors will be hidden in it.

F (checked)

Haven't there *already* a couple vulns found it it? I think I remember one big one just a few months ago. I'm so glad Hyperbola and Trisquel do not use it.

No, it is required for UEFI in the modern age of computing to get the bootstrapping process to work correctly.

I think the frogposters here tend to forget that Microsoft pushed 8 second boot times and the answer to doing that was changing the core hardware to always hibernate the system (UEFI) in Windows 8.

How can you continue to shill Linux if the shit doesn't work correctly with most consumer grade laptops, lol?

I have this crazy feeling like maintaining Debian and being confined to your computer may be very depressing...no?

>As long as Linus lives, you're not going to subvert the kernel.
AHEM
That subverted PRNG stayed in the kernel for over a whole fucking decade. Linus doesn't have any idea what 99% of the shit does any more, he can't audit all the drivers even if they are nominally open source.

Or maybe the last non-subverted distro was simply subverted the hard way. People know, no sense in over-shilling, you'll give it all away, nanny-chan.

Yeah. Sure.

It certainly is a different age in Linux. You can feel the Microsoft influence.

Why are you namefagging? Gotta get a shekel somehow I guess...

Originally made a post as OP for digitaloceans hacktober thing, namefagged so I could identify myself properly as OP.
Besides unless your knee deep in VPNs, proxies, and routerse that don't do DPI-SSL, you're 'user' status is fucked.

Slackware.

>tfw Arch Linux is a botnet
>inb4 reddit
reddit.com/r/archlinux/comments/6wij3k/wwwarchlinuxorg_being_accessed_by_something_every/
git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/20-connectivity.conf?h=packages/networkmanager

daamn, Michael Shannon is so underrated!

systemd made me switch to FreeBSD