Is kvm a viable option for vidya on GNU/Linux yet?

Is kvm a viable option for vidya on GNU/Linux yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vZqgekoL_J4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes

no, use esxi with pci passthrough. way more reliable than the hand full of chipsets that kvm supports. if you don't have intel or nvidia you are fucked though, in both cases

Do you have a guide, user-kun?

>use esxi with pci passthrough

That's like the "Install Gentoo" of virtual machines...

no, all i remember is that there is that you have to do in the vmx config to get the esxi to register the card as a TI or some shit otherwise it won't load the necessary drivers. google, see for yourself if it's worth getting into and if the hardware requirements are met

it's actually no, it's not.

if you have a desktop, yes
if you have a laptop no, but soon

I want to touch that big fluffy turd

pls don't hurt seal ;_;

Use a dedicated machine.
GPU passthrough on Linux to play Windows games is one of the most autistic and retarded things ever done by autists.

It's like buying a brand new car and using the shittiest gasoline available.

what the fuck do I do with the shitty nvidia card in my laptop then, since the linux drivers are utter garbage?
>the intel card performs better with free drivers
>proprietary drivers shit up my fonts and tty resolution and are probably broken in various other unexpected ways, not to mention they may or may not include botnet

pls no

cute fluffer

more like kys

I have a windows pc and a libreboot thinkpad.
I just want to have a GNU/Linux desktop and play windows games

KVM supports plenty of chipsets both amd and intel. It's also plenty reliable and it's free.

It really isn't like that at all. GPU passthrough lets you get the full performance of the card you passthrough and you don't have to reboot or move to another machine.

What hardware do you have in the desktop?

i5 cpu, gtx 1080, 16gb RAM
Would it be better to just use something like synergy to use both systems at once?

I use synergy and dual monitors and its super slick. What's the specific model of your i5? If it has vt-d support gpu passthrough should work well on your system.

DEMAND A NATIVE PORT
DEMAND A NATIVE PORT
DEMAND A NATIVE PORT

it has been for nearly 5+ years.

I've only had games/windows crash a few times.

it's even easy to do it with libvirtd now.

I hate humans.

KVM works if you can do PCI passthrough.

It does, I was just wondering about stability and such

Do you have guide?

Is Nvidia really so bad on Linux? I need a new GPU and AMD is fucking awful for price/perfoance...

what? AMD's always been ahead of nvidia on price/performance, they just suck at being top performance

I swear some of you people live in bubbles completely separated from real life

Yes, I use it. It works great for games that utilize the GPU, not so great for CPU-heavy games (Like PoE).

Nvidia cards are a bit of a cunt to get working though.

I use 3 monitors, 2 linux, 1 for windows. I use Synergy to move across them and it works perfectly in terms of mouse movements/keyboard commands

Could someone give quick rundown about the differences and advantages between ESXi vs. vmware workstation/virtualbox?

How does synergy work between two computers?

you install the server on the computer that has the physical keyboard and mouse plugged in, install the client on everything you want to control, and organize the monitors on the server to dictate where they are on your desk.

ESXI is a headless virtualization environment

go figure

Neat!

I have pretty much the same setup but with dedicated m+kb.

synergy is botnet and should be addressed on this board

>synergy is botnet and should be addressed on this board
botnets should be addressed only to be marked for avoidance

>synergy is botnet
pretty sure it has a GPL version

last time i checked proper pci passthrough requires 3 specific chipsets from intel and 2 from amd. that's not exactly plenty. and if you don't have the proper cpu with the right commandsets and the right graphics card you are wasting your time.

pci vga passhthrough that is

>caring about life

I've successfully passed through my intel integrated GPU to a VM on my shitty laptop
surely it's not that hard

It is GPL. They just charge for the compilation.

I am waiting for Ryzen APU which I will use for Linux, then fire up windaids with an nvidyaids passthrough on kvm. I suppose I could go for that now with a current APU and upgrade later because AM4 should be supported with the new APU.

why is that bad?
I know compiling stuff on windows is hard, but who cares?

It's not. was mistaken

please gib quick rundown

i actually don't know anything about intel graphics on that regard. try your nvidia or amd card and see if that works.

within a year directx games will have at least 75% windows performnance, i might change or get a dual boot ubuntu.

youtube.com/watch?v=vZqgekoL_J4

as you can see here overwatch is prefectly playable, if your ok with 30-70fps. Right now the performance is somewhat like 10-25% compared to windows. With the same specs, on windows you can get like 200-300fps on the same settings

soon for laptops? that let me hope. have more informations, user?

no

It works on much more than that. It will work on anything that has intel vt-d support or amd-vi support. Although Ryzen/Threadripper has some bugs. Also it works with any modern graphics card (as in came out after 2010).

i think you live in a bubble, buddy, AMD GPUs are still overinflated in price thanks to miners, so it's just not worth it.

All GPU's are at inflated prices right now, genius

Nvidia is way cheaper where I live. AMD is out of stock except for Vega and old, old, passive cooled cards. That leaves second hand, or old stock, which costs $400 for reference R9 290. Nvidia is close to MSRP on most models.

>t. Seal

Qemu + kvm do pass-through and work well

Trying to get esxi to work on my Dell workstation (xps 8700) was an exercise in patience. Using weird sketchy 3rd party hobby projects to inject drivers just to have it still not have drivers on the installed system and thus be useless since I couldn't access it over network was my main problem