/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
&& /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
pastebin.com/HKBAEZcL
pastebin.com/fs1ihsbc
pastebin.com/72fNZYBZ
lmi.linuxfoundation.org/programs/legal/trademark/faq#I_am_a_commercial_entity_a_company
internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3529246/Trademarking Linux Some Pay License Fee Some Dont.htm
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#long
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux (and I mean advanced), remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution, and (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:
Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Use clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can heal broken installs.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portage (or ports-like) package manager? With SMGL's "sorcery" you get all that. Making new spells (packages) not found in the grimoire (repository) is easy sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Basic Source Mage GNU/Linux installation pastebin.com/HKBAEZcL
Improvised Source Mage GNU/Linux guide pastebin.com/fs1ihsbc

reminder that there is literally nothing wrong with wayland and in 2 years virtually everyone is going to be running it instead of x

FUGG I posted this question in the old thread just before it was being abandoned.

I want to clone my double booting disk (a 500 GB WD5000LPVX-80V0TT0 HDD) into a new 1TB one (a Seagate Firecuda ST1000LX015 SSHD). I have both Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 16.04 on it. What's the best software to use for it? I want to be able to use it on my Asus laptop booting from it immediately after the copy. I'm absolutely fine with just "free as free beer" software for Windows right now, I just want the safest way to do it, because I have some work I need to be able to do those days and I don't want to miss anything during the copy. Also something that's not too difficult to use, 'cause I'm a fucking noob.

Boot into a livecd and clone/extend with gparted.

Lennart Poettering did nothing wrong

This looks crap with custom Sup Forums CSS.
Make it transparent, faggot.

Got a few questions about pyWal, Rofi, and Polybar.

>Windows Manager: i3
>Bar: Polybar
>pyWal for colors

I have an issue where polybar cannot pull the pywal colors at startup and thus never loads.

according to pywal, you should use {xrgb:color2} and {xrgb:color7} as the foreground and background, and if I launch polybar by terminal, it'll have the specified colors without any issue.

This leads me to believe there's a problem with my i3 config trying to launch polybar before it pulls the pywal colors

Here is my i3.conf: pastebin.com/72fNZYBZ

Also, is there anyway I can view my log at startup? I log in just fine, but my cursor is endlessly a loading icon whenever sitting on the desktop.

Can I work a single .deb file that will work on:

2.1 Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog)
2.2 Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog)
2.3 Ubuntu 5.10 (Breezy Badger)
2.4 Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake)
2.5 Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
2.6 Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
2.7 Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon)
2.8 Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron)
2.9 Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)
2.10 Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)
2.11 Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)
2.12 Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)
2.13 Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
2.14 Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal)
2.15 Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot)
2.16 Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise Pangolin)
2.17 Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal Quetzal)
2.18 Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)
2.19 Ubuntu 13.10 (Saucy Salamander)
2.20 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Trusty Tahr)
2.21 Ubuntu 14.10 (Utopic Unicorn)
2.22 Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet)
2.23 Ubuntu 15.10 (Wily Werewolf)
2.24 Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)
2.25 Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety Yak)
2.26 Ubuntu 17.04 (Zesty Zapus)
2.27 Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark)

and will link to OpenGL ES 2.0 and GLFW 3.2 and libc and libsoundio?

Thanks

for what purpose

achieving the maximum linux audience
that means including normies

GNU/Linux*

ye whatever

>This leads me to believe there's a problem with my i3 config trying to launch polybar before it pulls the pywal colors

Well, yeah. The simple fix would be moving the "exec wal" line above the "exec polybar" line in your i3.conf. Adding a small sleep value (for instance, sleep 1s) in front of the polybar line will ensure that when it starts, the wal colors have been fully loaded.

So, instead of having
exec polybar -r default
exec wal -i ...
you could have
exec wal -i "/path/to/image.jpg"
sleep 1s && exec polybar -r default

>i3
>not bspwm
absolutely disgusting

Install GuixSD

install source mage

install minix

install CRUX

Help would be appreciated.
>use Debian for years
>try new Ubuntu
>like it but battery life cut in hald
>install Debian (format disk)
>ubantoo grub rescue
>fuck, did I format the disk?
>install Debian (format disk)
>ubantoo grub rescue
Doesn't Ubuntu want me to use Debian?

Thank you. Is clonezilla any different?

Are there any alternatives to KDE connect?
Google turns up some options for installing it on non-kde environments, but this is ugly, convoluted, and has a shitload of dependencies I would prefer to avoid.

Is KDE Connect really the only program in its class for linux?

Can we just stop this GNU and Linux nonsense already?
If we go by the LoC metric, GNU probably has like 1% and Linux like .5%.
We should just call the OS by what it is. Systemd.

And the thread should be called fsdt, accordingly.

I know this is bait but historically all the GNU operating system lacked was a kernel, hence GNU/Linux

Not sure what Ubuntu grub rescue is but did you update the grub list?

And historically I would call the Operating System GNU, because that's what it was. But we can't fool ourselves anymore. Systemd has taken over the whole thing by now. It really is the OS and both GNU and Linux are just small parts of it.

That's not the reason why the gnu project wants you to call it that, you can tell by the fact that it is a fairly arbitrary name given the many factors you could use to excuse in a name. Rather you should look at what they gain by having their project name alongside popular distribution names. Brand name recognition. Because they are finding it harder to stay relevant in technical merit so need to rely on in-your-face marketing.

I don't know what the typical procedure is for installing Debian, but you need to do something equivalent to:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
grub-install /dev/sda

>Rather you should look at what they gain by having their project name alongside popular distribution names
Rather you should look at what Linus Torvalds gains by having "Linux" alongside popular distribution names.
Money. There is an actual fee you have to pay to use "Linux" in a product.

how many LoC in shitstaind?

-1/12

Is this a safe way to clear all junk unregistered and otherwise on the system partition?

dd if=/dev/zero of=asdf.txt

Fake and Gay

lmi.linuxfoundation.org/programs/legal/trademark/faq#I_am_a_commercial_entity_a_company
internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3529246/Trademarking Linux Some Pay License Fee Some Dont.htm

Thanks. Booting a live USB and removing Ubuntu via efibootmgr was enough.

I gave your recommendation a shot and instead, I get an i3 configuration error. However, I looked up the syntax and this worked like a charm.

exec --no-startup-id "sh -c 'sleep 5; exec polybar -r default'"

Hey user! Thanks for the recommendation! Any reason I should use i3 over bspwm?

im young self learning coder with depression,
for last 1 year i was defacto NEET.
Im currently writing shitty Python script to get some experience and have better start while lookin for job.
Give me tips /fglt/

I completely agree with this, except for the punchline at the end of course.

Obviously degree/size of contribution is really a non-factor in the debate over what to call it. So as far as I can tell the only logical things to do are:
1) Just stick with the historical name of who/whatever initiated the development of the system. (Which means it would just be "GNU")
OR
2) Just call it something else entirely that is neither GNU or Linux or any combination thereof.

Personally I'm good with either. But the more you actually think about it the less sense it makes to ever call the entire system "Linux" at all

why not LiGNUx?

That's actually not bad

What is the best vi keybindings extension for firefox?

VimFx

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#long

What about vimperator? What is that like?

I will never run wayland, its garbage

I don't know, I just said vimfx because it's The One I Useā„¢. Which obviously means it's the best

You will when they stop supporting xorg and nobody uses it

Can't seem to update the kernel on Solus
I updated everything, but I'm still on 4.12.7-11, instead of 4.13.something
Anyone mind helping a brainlet like me?

Not him, but, I'm fairly certain Wangdows is gonna throw a fit when you move it to different hardware. In regards to clonezilla, it's basically the same thing, a live environment dedicated to cloning discs.Really simple to use, just be prepared to set aside a couple of hours for the process to complete.

I wont. They wont stop developing xorg, wayland drops so many features ON PURPOSE that they refuse to support.
Xorg has decades of support for hardware

But what if it becomes good in the future? Is there an actual reason I see so many posts in /fglt/ lately that are not just unenthusiastic about wayland but seem almost seem to actually be _angry_ at wayland for some reason?
Can someone share the reason, I love to hate things too just as much as the next user

Oh, you're being retarded on purpose. Anything that was dropped by xorg was because the kernel can do it, but you already knew that.

>Any reason I should use i3 over bspwm?
no

What does wayland offer other then a headache getting your setup to work? You're already using xorg-wayland to run all of those xorg programs you're using, which is the majority.

go to college
and stay the fuck away from CS

KDE already supports wayland and so does gtk3, I don't remember if gtk2 does, but its on its deathbed for support anyways. Transition from X11 to wayland will be a bit shaky, but soon enough everything will be written for wayland by default.

I don't dislike Wayland, itself. How could I form an opinion on it? It's incomplete! That's what I dislike. I dislike this whole deal with putting half-assed software out there for numerous reasons, The main being, there's already a bunch of less than perfect crap like Pulse audio, out there, and I get tired of hearing the screeching about it. If it's not ready, just fucking wait until it is.

>written for wayland by default.
They said that about OSS but look where we are
They said that about pulseaudio and look where we are
They said that about nouveau and look where we are

I think you are conflating two different motives here.

I meant the other way around. How is bspwm better?

That's a really dumb reason though. By your reasoning we can NEVER get rid of outdated functionality on anything.

* One guys decides to add a piece of junk to something before pushing it out
* You like the product, and don't even use that piece of junk
* He then decides to stream line and get rid of it
* You complain that the next version is now "incomplete"

I have set of ips in a ipset filter but when i go to add it to iptables it says "No chain/target/match by that name" when attempting to add that filter to iptables.The ips exist in ipset and its the correct name but iptables refuses to use it

>He decides to stream line
That isn't relevant to this discussion since it isn't what is happening. You can't focus on one aspect of development and ignore all the others.

Whatever it is that you have on your mind right now, is what I suggest you make your primary argument and actually SAY what it is you think is wrong with it.

Because all I ever see from you is "lol something isn't in wayland that was in xorg therefore it is inkumplete and it sux"

LINUX!!!

GNU/LINUX!!!*

been looking at a black screen for 5 minutes after performing do-release-upgrade and the files finished downloading

what I do?

SYSTEMD!!!

So the Linux foundation using litigation to stop people from abusing their organically popular trademark is somehow the same is the gnu project using guilt and misinformation to try to force a meme?
Your argument seems a little backwards.

GNU/SYSTEMD!!!

GENTOO!!!

I'm not the user who doesn't like Wayland, I was just pointing out your use of the shifting the goalposts fallacy. You can streamline and stop supporting legacy cruft without starting a new codebase and you can even have feature parity on a new codebase. Such popular memers s Joel in software gave written extensive articles on it, probably with lots of citations if peopleware.

>README: The file INSTALL contains generic installation instructions
>there is no "INSTALL" file in the entire repo, not in master, and not in a release tag
Open sores

The only forced meme is renaming a movement incl their operating system because companies dislike freedom" terminology.

>free software? isn't that communism? i want to make money!
-> but it's called "open source"
>oh, thats nice
>GNU? isn't that this freedoms stuff?
-> nah, it's "linux"
>oh, thats nice

>github
you're lucky when you find a LICENSE file

Whats a good terminal font with chinese cartoon character support?

>posting an RMS image in the same post that you mention Open source

he would be mad at you

Is there a way to fix the fucking ridiculous 1 pixel window resize handle in xubuntu?

Also, why does *buntu disable all my third party ppas after upgrade?

REDDIT!!!

Where did I mention github, you illiterate? I'm pulling from the Xfce git repo, nothing to do with github.

Who mentioned Github you idiot?

Don't reply to my posts ever again you twats.

You do know that Wayland's design effectively destroys any choice and customization right? Wayland's protocol is basically an isolation prison that requires "big DE's" and destroys choice. The protocol moves everything into one central place called the "compositor".
This machinery must provide:
>the window manager
>the hotkey daemon
>the compositing effects
>the windowing server
>screen reading tools
>screenshots
>screen casting
>magnifying glass tools
>global dictionary tools
>etc etc etc everything.
Wayland's design makes it impossible to write a portable hotkey daemon for instance. Supposedly for "security reasons". Wayland is a GNOME dev's wet dream, it kills the ability of people to control their own system. If you're actually excited for Wayland you either thoroughly misunderstand what it brings and just like it because it's new or you're a drooling GNOME-lover who hates customization.

@62983369
>this retard thinks git == github

But it's a totally different concept.

It's not called "xorg-server" for no reason. That's the major difference between xorg and wayland. Wayland is just a library, xorg is a server. So you don't actually "run wayland" in the same way you "run xorg", because running wayland just means you're directly running your WM which includes the wayland library, rather than running xorg first and then telling xorg to call your WM

That's a huge improvement and kind of calls for a new codebase inevitably.
I don't mean to offend anyone but all the anti-wayland stuff I've heard lately seems like it's just built in random non-general pieces of wisdom that people are trying to apply to xorg vs. wayland to justify some war between them. There is no actual justification for hating wayland that I can see

He thinks that git is Github and that Github invented repositories or something.

Linux foundation doesn't own the Linux trademark, that's the Linux mark institute

There's something called extensions, which you can use to extend a protocol and which is already happening to Wayland.

>regurgitating superficial knowledge, memes and myths to feel smart
You've already been disproved countless times. Stop posting. Find new edgy opinions to parrot, idiot.

I know he doesn't like the term "Closed source", but what's wrong with "open source"?

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

faggot

:'(

Dumb question incoming:

What is the advantage of not having a display manager installed (like lightdm or gdm)? I don't really see it

My laptop is slow as shit at compiling. Is there a way to do this in gentoo?
>laptop requests a package
>desktop downloads and cross-compiles it
>sends package to laptop
>laptop installs package

distcc

less useless bloat shitting up your system

what if your gf uses windows?

set her straight or dump her

Why is a display manager 'useless bloat'?