/certs/ - Certifications General

Evening Sup Forums
I didn't see a thread about anything certification related and thought it might help some people on here out, including myself.

I'm looking to get a job in IT and have no idea where to begin with certifications.
What would you guys recommend to get an entry-level IT job? I'm assuming CompTIA A+ is a must.

Other urls found in this thread:

gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=B3F09E02CE3A5DC2EF8AF4A85945D146
certification.comptia.org/certifications/cybersecurity-analyst
youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

comptia certs are absolutely worthless. enjoy studying worthless shit that has been deprecated for over 15 years now.

Helpdesk jobs require either a CCNA or a MS cert.

Not op but my workplace just offered to pay for training and testing for a sec+. I figured what the hell, 5 days of time off and a plane ride to a new city sounds fun. Might brush up on a thing or two.

yea, if someone else pays for these, why not.

but never, never ever, waste your own money on these useless comptia ones.

The A+ is such a waste of time. I spent like $50 on vouchers I bought on ebay just before the 801 and 802 expired. The test was so easy.

Learn more useful stuff. Get your CCNA. Work on MCSA Office 365. Anything Server 2016. Just don't bother with CompTIA A+/S+/N+

I just failed the 901 a second time today. 902 is in 3 hours. Then a 6 hour drive home in shame. Hopefully I pass the 902 I studied harder for it cause I thought I had 901 in the bag after last time failing it only cause I was a retard.

Are there any study guides/videos you would suggest for the CCNA?

Good lord I can't imagine a simple helpdesk position needing anything near the CCNA

CCNA is required for most in my area for a bigger company.

how do you land the most entry level shit like geeksquad then

the people that ask for the certificates don't understand the scope of the certificate

even HR knows comptia certs are toddler level knowledge though

HR doesn't handle resumes anymore, it's done automatically.

If comptia is worthless, I wasted my time then. Is server 2016 worth anything?

It's not worthless, but it's not going to get you that far. Don't buy into the Sup Forums memes. US government jobs require Security+ to start out.

Is CCNA really useless? Working on my way to CCIE at college. Did I fuck up?

I work with people who only have a ccna and are smarter tech wize then ccies, CCIE is not a golden ticket, more or less just get a solid all around foundation

by showing them you can learn it while you have the job. Most places like Best Buy offer a 90-day "probation" period when you start, and they give you 90 days to get your A+ and ACMT (apple care) certs.

you can just cheat and study the answers at the end of the day the shit is just a piece of paper or card you carry around like a faggot.

A+ is essential if you really don't know shit, but IT knows when you have certs and don't know shit.

Geeksquad repair tech here - getting in as a consultation agent (essentially a person that does initial diagnosis and checks things in for repairs and sells service plans) is easy if you're not retarded and can learn/sell shit well. Becoming a repair agent you actually need to know some shit to not completely suck at what you do. I've done harder work for less money but being a repair tech for them is a good intro to the IT industry and they pretty commonly get hired on at corporate to work bigger jobs. You don't need certs at all unless you literally just know nothing about repairing windows and mac computers without having to google every little thing.

Some precincts have absolutely shit tier agents who just have our remote pajeet guys do all of the work and just do post-op work in house, but some have pretty high standards. Depends on the store.

Basically it's entry level and doesn't really need certs but they definitely put your resume at the top and gets you to the top of the pay grade. I went in with my CCNA and A+ (slept through it desu).

Oh and the uniforms are shit but having a badge is kind of hilariously fun in a way.

Which certs do I need to do industrial networking and stuff? Like maintaining servers and stuff.

CCNA and MS certs like Server 2012 install and configure are always a good place to start.

Im working on my Comp TIA Network +
>Fill my knowledge gaps
>My job pays for it

I bet you have a tech job that barely pays 30K with little to no benefits

keep us updated, good luck user. Failure isn't the end of it, there's always a second time

I just got home. The drive to the nearest test centre is over 6 hours on the northern Canadian highways.
I passed the 902 by a considerable margin, so I just gotta redo the 901. I’m not happy, but I’m not depressed or angry at myself now since I at least passed the 902.
It’s my fault for not studying the 901 more out of ignorance for thinking I had it in the bag

This

ccie is like an instant hire

>Be IT in the Navy
>Have Sec+ and a TS clearence
>Military will pay for literally any cert you can imagine
>To much of a self-hating depressed loser to pursue anything else
>Plan to kill myself when I can't re-enlist anymore so I don't have to deal with the civilian world

Thanks for reading and remember to subscribe.

*liked*
*subbed*

>tfw sec+ test tomorrow
I'm so fucked

No they don't
-t. Helpdesk fag

Inb4 pajeet

Good luck user.
I’m torn between net+ or sec+ after I finish A+, or going the fixit route and getting a side business set up and refurbishing shit, getting that all set up is a process

I got mine early this year.
Good foundation for CCNA and allowed me to get my feet into our Network Engineering Department.

Definitely not worthless but don't overstate it's value either. Its comparable to CCENT.

Thanks user
Family friend wants me to get sec+ then he'll cover my security clearance and CCNA training, I'll finally have a job after college
Good luck user, I kind of skipped the Net+ but I might get it at some point

Comptia certs are worth it just to get your foot in the door. MCSA is good as well. Little talked about is ITIL which is good to get the foundation cert as it's lifetime and looks really great for ITIL shops and departments that use it.

do net+ first

sec+ assumes a lot of things are understood from net+

you can't secure a network if you don't know how it works.

any good study guides out for CSA+ yet? I'm on a time crunch to renew all my compTIA stuff and maintain DoD compliance and I'd rather take that than just retake sec+ or something like CCNAS and just lose my compTIA certs.

Is there any certs that don't expire?
I like embedded/security/networking/sysadmin type stuff

gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=B3F09E02CE3A5DC2EF8AF4A85945D146

>inb4 phoneposter
I screenshotted from my phone and uploaded from PC

also if you give me a throwaway email I will send you more stuff, I got practice exams and shit

Do contracting bro. clearancejobs.com or something

I fucking love library genesis.

this, do data retention for the same goons you're already working for, you'll feel right at home and they'll appreciate your military history and attitude.
And if you get fed up with them, Saudi Arabia is always willing to hire you and relocate you. They're aggressively looking for data retention guys lol

looking for CSA+ as in the new cybersecurity analyst certification. It's essentially a stepping stone between Sec+ and CASP they added because Sec+ is really high level and super basic compared to the CASP exam.

certification.comptia.org/certifications/cybersecurity-analyst

A+ isn't DoD compliant

>Want certs to get a better job.
>Can't afford even simple 300-400 for the test
>Need better job to get certs
>Need certs to get better job.
Also
>Unable to afford anything beyond Community College

Should I just kill myself? Seriously I have a glock ready for the rainy day.

>not becoming a mercenary earning up to 3k per day in dangerous areas

Are you a retard?

>certification.comptia.org/certifications/cybersecurity-analyst
ohhh I see. Well try the library genesis anyways, just look up CSA+ and sort by year, it's all I would do.

Live in a van or storage unit, that will help you save money even with minimum wage jobs.

Should I just do Net+ and ignore A+ all together

Sorry to say I've actually lived in a camper for 2 years. No thanks, the hassle of finding a place to loiter is huge, driving to and from work and also truck stops to shower chewed up alot of gas in that thing. My meals were often shit because propane for the portable grill was expensive per canister and I often got sick.

I've finally found a somewhat cheap place to rent with some dude from craigslst, and saving a tiny bit more than I did previously.

How do I get OSCP?

Your experience will vary depending on how stoic you are and how crafty.

>the hassle of finding a place to loiter is huge
Not really, as long as your van has no back windows, nobody even has to notice you are there.
>driving to and from work
obviously
>and also truck stops to shower chewed up alot of gas in that thing
Not needed.
>My meals were often shit because propane for the portable grill was expensive per canister
There are other methods of cooking in a less expensive manner
>I often got sick.
I don't see how that is related to living in a van.

Not trying to be rude, just saying. I've seen pretty comfy as fuck vans.

And for the storage unit thing, look at this guy.
youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo

Literally a comfy battlestation.

buy vouchers on ebay near expiry for cheaper.

I don't think he had a nice van user, don't be mean, he's really poor and cant afford certification

Certs are for brainless
When I see cissp on a resume I throw it out

This thread is still going on?
I have my A+, Net+, Sec+, CCENT, got them all under two years, and have an interview for a disaster recovery tech position at a web hosting company soon. I currently make a little over 30k at a help desk job. I'm a community college dropout too lol. Planning on getting my RHCSA and CCNA soon too. I have an internal reference at the company I'm interviewing at and stand a pretty good chance.

>Not really, as long as your van has no back windows, nobody even has to notice you are there.

I live in a city, my job is in the city and I can't find one outside the city. So yea they notice and call the cops alot.

>Not needed.
I've tried, washing from a bucket isn't the same, doesn't get you clean. People do notice.

>There are other methods of cooking in a less expensive manner
Such as? Plug a fuckin microwave into all those wall outlets?

>I don't see how that is related to living in a van.
I have to work, I can't do that if I'm incapacitated or throwing up all the time.

I don't think you've had to live in a van for longer than a year. Let me say it's not easy and it's a life no one wants to live.

Maybe, can they get them down to 200 or lower?

>I live in a city, my job is in the city and I can't find one outside the city. So yea they notice and call the cops alot.

Did you try parkings inside buildings? Such as malls?

I agree that the preferred way of living the van life is in a semirural area, big cities can be hell.

>I've tried, washing from a bucket isn't the same, doesn't get you clean. People do notice.

Well, since you were in a city, I assume you didn't have access to a river or a lake or similar?

Also, did you try a plant watering canister above head leven and showering like that with free water out of some fountain?

>Such as? Plug a fuckin microwave into all those wall outlets?

In semi rural areas, you could just make a small fire, you can also use alcohol stoves to cook, which are exponentially cheaper, there are tuts on youtube.

I agree that you can't pull out master chef shit living in a van. But you don't need to live out of prepackaged food either.

>I have to work, I can't do that if I'm incapacitated or throwing up all the time.

I mean that I don't see how living in a van makes you sick, do magic flu viruses develop or something?

>I don't think you've had to live in a van for longer than a year. Let me say it's not easy and it's a life no one wants to live.

Mate, it's all about perspective, there are people who have money but actively pursue the van/caravan life because they enjoy the freedom it provides.

As with most things in life, you can either obsess over the bad stuff or over the good stuff.

Good, you have discovered the main contradiction of capitalism all by yourself.

studying for LPIC-1 right now

>As with most things in life, you can either obsess over the bad stuff or over the good stuff.

I don't think I have enough time to tell you just how poor I am and honestly the way you talk I can just tell you've never hit rock bottom. It's painfully obvious.

Cool, maybe someone can dig up my skeleton when it fails.

I think it's just time to bite the bullet. Literally. Peace.

>I don't think I have enough time to tell you just how poor I am and honestly the way you talk I can just tell you've never hit rock bottom. It's painfully obvious.

You mean that poor people must spend their entire day crying about it, obsessing over the bad stuff, instead of enjoying being alive and the little things about life, and focusing on improving their situation?

Good mental health advice.

certificates don't mean shit, there are so many people in the industry with certificates that don't know shit about shit.

certificates are just a byproduct of people who leech of a a successful product, nothing more.

Stop making shit up and lying.

was it more printer and network heavy? I took the 801 a few years ago and don't know the new content from the update module