Retro autistic communities

nekochan.net -- for the SGI and UNIX autists

vogons.org -- retro PC autists

amiga.org -- obscure computer autists

There's probably more, list them if you know any. And discuss what you hate about them. Nekochan is the worst offender imho.

>amiga
>obscure
back to school kiddo

Sup Forums -- general autists

lemon64.com
people who like 8-bits unironically autists

>kiddo
Not an argument.

This is neo-Sup Forums, everyone.

I have never understood luddites, seems like a dumb and niche hipster shit to me
Cant imagine there being that many communities about it, probably mostly in reddit

Why do people hate /retro/?

>why do people hate autistic fucks?
Gee I wonder.

what does that even mean?

What is the benefit of new hardware to people who aren't interested new media?

Yeah, have fun browsing the web on your commodore 64

Why does it matter to you how people spend their money. I don't understand people who buy 4K screens to "code better" but here we are.

Discordfags need to fucking leave.

I hate that they skyrocketed model M prices

/thread
This was /mkg/, there's much less /retro/ fags around

thats cuz youre an underage cunt

you have proven you are 100x more annoying than the people you *think* youre better than

kys

>kys
what an amazing argument

This thread is a total shitflinging disaster.

Get off my website normalfag scum

>that reading comprehension

My nigga Steve. Whats up.

I'm a total /retro/ fag, I rarely see any hostility against people with this hobby though, mostly as shitposts but generally nobody gives a shit to them in a thread about a retro related topic.
It's a fascinating thing if you love technology, hardware and software in general, it does not matter what year it was produced.

>"something not doing well in burgerville means its obscure"
t.amerifag

>k has infiltrated the thread
secure the building

Vintage Computer Forums

68K Mac Liberation Army

>It's a fascinating thing if you love technology, hardware and software in general, it does not matter what year it was produced.

The attraction it has to me is that it is a way to experience the living history of our field. I love history in general. Digital computers have been around for less than 70 years. There have been incredible improvements in that time, and you can own and operate machines that were important milestones in that history.

My IBM XT is more than 30 years old. It still works, with some repairs. It tells an incredible story, in its own voice.

If I was into medieval history there's not really an equivalent hobby. You could get into armor and larping but that's reconstructing stuff which might have existed. Classic computers are, still, the real things that existed back when they were new.

I wouldn't mind Nekochan if they weren't so fucking easily triggered about commercial software, i.e. the shit you get a SysV workstation to run in the first place. There are plenty of smug twats and nostalgia-goggled lobotomites in there too.
>But that Nehalem PeeCee is only THREE times faster than my Tezro, guys!
>VPro just looks better!
(I won't lie that I like to silently join in their anti-GNUshit jerks though even if they are fundamentally retarded)

But they're the only meaningful place anymore for *nix autists and they shat out Nekoware, so whatever. I think a couple of the software hoarders might be persuaded to get their shit on the web archive too if they ever get around to it.

do you hate people who like old cars? old buildings?

The National Weather Service still uses XTs to drive their automated weather broadcast systems. If you're wondering why they're getting more expensive, the collectors are competing with a large company contracted to provide spares to the NWS. Same reason why older Vax and PDP computers are expensive - it's not just autists with high electric bills who are interested in this older tech.

Thank God I live in a place where that's not a thing.
Snatching things from people who just found some "junk" in their basement and are giving it away for pennies is still a thing here.

Pretty much my shit right here. It's practical history, and over-engineered high end equipment is fucking man jewelry.
>Same reason why older Vax and PDP computers are expensive
It makes sense now. I see cheap MicroVAXen now and again though, the only thing holding me off of them is finding software to run on them beyond just basic utilities and an operating system.

are we talking about the Sup Forums generals? because they're dead as fuck and mostly full of autistic retrogamer babies and hipsters reposting their shitty battlestations while whining about how the normies ruined computing
or are we talking about the actual hobby? it's bait you dip, but lots of people are just retarded or autistic and can't accept that people like computing for reasons other than wasting away in front of YouTube or writing javascript fart apps

>are we talking about the Sup Forums generals?
/retro/ is containment thread and not a general!!11
the old /retro/ generals with rules where shit

it's still shit either way though, just nothing but basic bitches who won't shut the fuck up about their no-name shitbox pentium minitowers and stock consumer 8-bits they barely do anything interesting with, maybe the occasional europoor amiga evangelist mixed in on the side getting triggered when people express interest in other 68k platforms

at this point I just sound like a bitter projecting faggot but it infuriates me how boring and insufferably smug neo-/retro/ is sometimes

>It makes sense now. I see cheap MicroVAXen now and again though, the only thing holding me off of them is finding software to run on them beyond just basic utilities and an operating system.
I'd like to get one that isn't too large but you have to be a bit of an autist to figure out which configuration makes sense even for light tinkering. I know that the majority of cheap Vaxen (say

>implying you're outside the reach of (((general contractors))) and their buying power
do you live on mars or in north korea or cuba or iran? they will come

>no-name shitbox pentium minitowers
yes, the occasional dual pentium system is okay though

>stock consumer 8-bits barely do anything interesting with
yes, but it's okay when they actually post doing interesting sith with them

>maybe the occasional europoor amiga evangelist mixed in on the side getting triggered when people express interest in other 68k platforms
never seen that though, the only amiga faggots I've seen on /retro/ have also 68k macintoshes

also don't forget all the UNIX fags with Sun, SGI and HP machines

Nah, but usually people barely bid on things like XT and their clones or even with it's with a cheap buy now price it can stay up for days without anyone giving a shit
I wouldn't think professional resellers give a fuck about shit here, mostly because we don't have such infrastructure locally that runs on those old machines and posting to anywhere relevant outside the country would cost them shitloads, not to mention, people don't bother posting whole systems

There's nothing wrong with any community the problem is that the vast majority of retro shits aren't actually into it or into technology, they are just the mlp of this board and have to ironically post it for attention and of course ironically drop thousands on working retro shit so they can fit into the made up online club. We have our own retro board they can fuck off to which is /vr/ the problem is that by definition of fucking off you can't ironically bother everyone with it. Again when the mlp board was created nobody really migrated to it since the point of it was to post it everywhere else and bother everyone with it.

Go into any retro forum (including /vr/) and you'll find that it's also geared relatively towards eating itself. For example you can pretend to be cool here by owning this garbage but go to any of these shit sites and you'd have to be posting from the computer in order to "fit in". Then among all of those who fit in to that, it would be something else, like you can't use homebrew software and have to find legit copies of a browser from 1995 or else you're yet again out of the cool kids club. Reason why this is all happening is because nobody is really into any of this bullshit in the first place they just never got over the high of being contrarians and cannot grow out of it so they end up fighting each other whenever they happen to actually agree. Everyone on every retro pc forum actually wants everyone else to fuck off.

we don't really disagree here
but I'm not gonna lie, I love me some unix shit and have a bias towards it but I can see eye to eye with you, even that stuff is getting old since it's mostly just contrarian faggots jerking off to them because they use a different off the shelf CPU and that's all they know about it
>We have our own retro board they can fuck off to which is /vr/
fuck off Justin I'd gingerly suck on your unwashed foreskin before I go to that shithole, retrogamers are fucking fags and retro games are shit

Discussion: OP, you're a nigger.

Retro is a term used by kids who didn't know the thing.

My Amiga is still functional, I've had it since 1989. Why should it be called "retro" if I have been continuously using it since that time ?

>amigatard
>'kid'posting
checks out
'retro' implies renewed interest, even if we go by its dictionary definition in imitation of previous trends and ideas your shit is all fucked up, makes no sense and you're gay

>never seen that though, the only amiga faggots I've seen on /retro/ have also 68k macintoshes
when I think of it it's probably just two guys in the end, there's that one furfag that constantly reposts the same pictures of his quadra 650 and breadbox amiga over and over again and then that other twat who always says "the fastest 68k macintosh is an amiga" in every thread he posts in like anyone gives a shit which 25 year old consumer personal computer is the least slow of the bunch

polite sage because I had a stroke and forgot to include this in my previous rambling bullshit post

Well then let's get this shit on a tray.

I saw a later 3100 for like $150 a while back, almost wanted to do it but... yeah, what the fuck am I actually going to do on it? With that money I could get it up on my SGI game. Sun shit is too expensive right now, all of the nice $200 Ultra 60s I used to see all over the fucking place are gone now and retards want $500 for a dual 360 with the plastics chipped to shit, like just fucking kill yourself already. And don't get me started on Blade 1000s.

I don't really know if you have to limit yourself to a single platform like that, but Solaris or IRIX are good platform choices due to software availability. AIX might be okay, HP-UX is shit unless you're running 11i v3.