Do any Linux developers here use Vagrant...

Do any Linux developers here use Vagrant? Why are most of the box images for VirtualBox instead of the incredibly superior libvirt. Using KVM (with libvirt) is _so_ much faster than VirtualBox. It's so frustrating.

the virtualbox dependency was a good indication this a poorly made solution looking for a problem hipster shit and what do you know ADD webdevs forgot about it within a year

>Using KVM (with libvirt) is _so_ much faster than VirtualBox.
Do you mean the configuration or the virtualization itself?
Nonetheless I agree with the other user, vagrant isn't very useful compared to other stuff

People moved on to Docker and Kubernetes.

It supports like 3 different hypervisors you ignorant slut.

doing iterative development in containers is a pain in the ass

because vagrant was built for winfags, pre widespread hyper-v

I don't know anyone bothering with that shit anymore. just docker or some other meme container bullshit.

even when people distribute vm's they usually use sime vmware bullshit appliance instead.

>It supports like 3 different hypervisors you ignorant slut.

last time I tried using vagrant with libvirtd i had to build some bullshit module that never worked and it was fucking bunk

>doing iterative development in containers is a pain in the ass

lmao, what?

Yeah, good point for normal development. But for infrastructure related deployments it's still popular. Problem is I do Docker and Kubernetes development, so I need a legit machine to run them in at the base level. Then I do the fun stuff with Docker in Docker and Kub on Kub.

isn't moby trying to shove their own orchestration tool on people now?
or did they finally cave and take the kubes up their ass?

also what about rkt? me personally I've moved to systemd-nspawn/machinectl containers since it integrates with btrfs for CoW containers and obviously, systemd.

Vagrant is mostly for Winbabbies that don't have chroot or docker (or didn't until WSL lel).

Yeah Docker is betting on Kub officially now. I think they spoke about this week at Dockercon EU.

I think Rkt is promising, mostly because Docker is a buggy piece of shit, but I am biased because I don't like CoreOS, the folks behind Rkt. I know I suck.

Systemd is OK (and that's a positive). I don't think it's _near_ as bad as people make it out to be. But Lennart should get some actual UNIX/Linux experience because he sounds fucking clueless sometimes -- that's probably the only detractor for me.

Makes sense, I didn't realize that since it's very useful for deployment/infra related development.

I manage a large Linux environment, thousands of servers. We're not doing much with containers yet as most of our stuff is not stateless. I provide vagrant builds that match our production builds. We have developers and admins on windows Mac and Linux so vagrant is a no brainer.

kvm is not open source

nothing wrong with state as long as the container FS shared storage is set up correctly.

sorry you're too dumb to vm bro

The fuck it isn't. Did you fall out of a time warp from the year 2006?

too dumb to vm? why? because I know how to use libguestfs, qemu tools and libvirtd and not use some weird jap shit virtbox designed garbage?

Put your data on volumes

You guys act like it's no big deal to move a thousand brownfield snowflake servers to containers. I can't even get the majority of people to adopt proper config management at the app layer, not even operations folks, so yeah containers not happening. Sadly this is how it is in massive companies, especially with internal IT. Hell we're a major tech/software company too.

>not just hiring more "project managers" to manage more contractors to do it

some massive corp you are

Virtualbox is a cross platform solution, libvirt is not.

nothing beats virtualbox's ability to kernel panic almost any platform

So support the least common denominator? I understand.

this is too close to the truth

killll meeeee

>more nonsense from Sup Forums

Except windows 7 I guess, because I never have any issues.

i've been using it for years on solaris, linux, and the mac and have never ever had this happen

if you have shit management and no money to send people to trainings and develop applications to be supported on multiple platforms then you are fucked.

might as well outsource the entire IT. if you hire externals to do this kind of stuff and just write documentation for the admins to read whenever shit's on fire, that's not gonna work in most cases.

Only use it on OSX but you're right.
Must be a driver issue for Windows. That's their all-purpose excuse these days.

Vagrant a shit. There is no reason to use this abomination when I can use delicious docker. Suck me cock Vagrantshill.

>Making your projects entirely dependent on a third party
When Docker has you locked into their ecosystem, suddenly you're going to have to pay monthly to keep running. It's already starting (see Moby).