You may only post in this thread if a chess player representing your country has ever achieved a live rating in excess...

You may only post in this thread if a chess player representing your country has ever achieved a live rating in excess of 2800.

Invited: Norway, Russia, Italy, Armenia, Bulgaria, India, France, USA and the Netherlands.

Definitely not invited: Azerbaijan.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwmIrxsOFX0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding_Liren
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei_Yi
youtube.com/watch?v=naKsGK6dvMU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruy_López_de_Segura
en.lichess.org/pDR9JSWW
youtube.com/user/MatoJelic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

hobbyist chess player reporting in

How do you feel about Fabiano Caruana switching federations from Italy to USA?

Thank you, Topalov.

>American

>Nakamura
>So

it's literally what the US does best: taking foreigners and making them American when it suits them

Caruana, So, and even arguably Nakamura

It's what the USA has pretty much always done come to think about it

His peak live rating was recorded after the start of last year's Sinquefield Cup, when he beat Magnus Carlsen in the first round, but collapsed further into the tournament. This year's edition of the tournament begins later this week, and most of the world elite will be playing.

we have a long tradition in the "switching flags" game, sadly. It's anyway a rare true Italian-american, so it's his right and he'll do what it suits best for him I guess.

Caruana was born in Miami, and Nakamura is half-American and has lived in USA for most of his life. So, on the other hand, has no such excuse.
He does get the advantage of playing on one of the world's strongest national teams, instead of being the only good player on the Italian NT. USA has one of the three strongest national teams in the world, along with Russia and China, in no particular order.

>along with Russia and China, in no particular order.
what about Armenia? They've done pretty good at the Olympiads in recent years

Why are Indians so fucking smart?

>the French man is named ''Vachier''

well, there's 1.3 billion of them (or whatever the exact number is), and chess is relatively popular there (IIRC they're the 2nd most numerous users on mainstream chess sites, after Americans), so if anything it'd be weird if there weren't any good Indian players

They arent

Vachier-Lagrave, actually

I'm suprised he made a comeback. He was a big thing around 2005. I also like it how his entire early life was pretty much completely dedicated to chess.

Are there any pro chess players without autism

They are the most-winning Olympiad team after 2000, but they have only one player in the world elite. The rest of the team (most notably Sargissian) have been overperforming at team events, for unknown reasons. However, looking at results compared to population, Armenia is clearly the strongest chess nation in the world.
He was a monster in 2005, winning the World Championship tournament in San Luis with six wins and ten draws. It's the strongest result I can remember from an 8-player double round robin. Don't mention Kramnik around him, though.

>Don't mention Kramnik around him, though.
Haha. That was such a big scandal here. It was on the news for days. I still don't know whether Kramnik actually cheated or not.

are you talking about actual clinical autism, or "autism" in the general non-clinical sense?

If it's the former, then very few players are clinically autistic. If it's the latter, then there are some relatively normie players, for example Anish Giri who's married to a qt3.14 (granted she's also a chess player), or Kasparov who's also married.

>va chier, la tombe !

There is only one player in the world elite I suspect might be autistic, and that is David Navara.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZwmIrxsOFX0

That is the equivalent of "cowboy", because he takes care of the cows.

Do chinks not play chess?

Seems like an autistic thing they'd be good at

They play Go.

Chink parents would probably force their kids to play chess because of muh elitism (like they do with piano) but withhold their kids from becoming a chess player because unless you're T10, you're not gonna make much money and it's not prestigious at all as compared to being a surgeon

>the only US chess player with a rating above 2800 is a Jap

traditionally it's never been popular in China (I think they traditionally only play Go), however now that China is modernizing and trying to compete in every single competition that exists on Earth, there are some young Chinese talents starting to arise.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ding_Liren
This guy is pretty good, top 10 currently, and still relatively young, but I doubt he'll ever have a crack at the top 5.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wei_Yi
This guy is very young and already quite good, he definitely has potential to become one of the best in the world, say 10 years from now. It's still too early to tell for sure, and the next few years will be highly critical, but the potential is definitely there. A year ago, he played a game which is currently the leading candidate for "game of the century": youtube.com/watch?v=naKsGK6dvMU

>Hou Yifan
She's currently the best woman chess player on Earth, and given her young age she'll probably dominate the women's chess scene for quite some time to come, but I doubt she'll ever reach a point similar to what Judit Polgar reached.

Also, their national team does quite well already. So basically wait 10-20 years, and China will be a powerhouse of chess, similar to the USSR back in the day.

Wang Yue, Ding Liren, Yu Yangyi, Ni Hua and Wei Yi are the reigning Olympic champions. Li Chao, Wang Hao and Bu Xiangxi are also very strong.

Came to post this.

His game against Bruzon was not even one of the top three games of 2015, much less the game of the century.

>chess
>childs play
Grown men play go

t. Ching Pang Long
I bet you live in Vancouver

well, I don't know, I just remember last summer when the game was over everybody was going completely nuts and calling it "game of the century". In hindsight it was probably overhyping though, especially since after the Rxf7, the rest is more or less forced (although those quiet moves are still very nice). So I guess you're right, but still, it was a beautiful game regardless.

You just arennt smart enough for that and jealous.

Posting because this thread makes me feel good

>stating facts makes me a Chink
I dislike Russia/USSR, but it would be retarded for me to not recognize that the USSR was a complete powerhouse back in the day.

india confirmed for first world

has Karjakin (Кapякин) gotten more attention in Russia recently, now that he's going to contest the World Championship?

It was a good game of course, but my three favourites from last year are Navara - Wojtaszek (Biel Chess Festival), So - Aronian (Sinquefield Cup) and Carlsen - Li Chao (Qatar Masters).

Lets be honest, if it wasn't for the Italian player that would be the lamest group of countries you could have.

Ukranians, Russians, Americans, Armenians, poo in the loo, Norwergians??

Kill me now so I don't have to leave in that world.

the Italian is actually American now :^)

Anyway, the good news for you is that Spaniards and Italians completely owned the game of chess prior to the 19th century. For example: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruy_López_de_Segura

So even if there are no top-level Spanish or Italian players right now, you can at least be proud of your contributions to the game.

>tfw two of my countries on the list

feels good

oi, wanker: some of those countries have read & translated spanish writers' books even you don't know anything about.

To be fair, Go is fucking awesome.

Iktf (well half of it)

ahper djan

>mfw I see another Hye

do you play chess at all guys ? and if you do what is your current rating

Why are slavs so good at chess?

>LE 60%% MAYMAY LE AMERICA NOT WHITE
>LE AMERICA IS WHITE LE AZNS DO NOT COUNT AS AMERICA

they are all secretly armenians, that's why

Thank you Giri

I'm an average club player around 1800.

Where do I play chess? How do I get better?

en.lichess.org/pDR9JSWW

nice job mate! i recently started playing chess and i am learning the basics.openings tactics etc. i found a youtuber who has famous matches and he explains the theory behind every move the strategies and all that. mato jelic if you dont know him check him youtube.com/user/MatoJelic

MatoJelic has a lot of content, but I don't really like him. Try youtube.com/stlchessclub, look for the lectures by Finegold, Akobian and Seirawan.

reminder that the greatest chess player of all time Bobby Fischer was Icelandic

oh they have whole lectures . nice

True story, Magnus Carlsen came to my party last year

>living in San Diego, going to UCSD
>jhosting party to get to know everyone
>everyone mingling, getting to know eachother
>suddenly one of the norwegians going to UCSD shows up with Magnus Carlsen
>he just finished a tournament in San Jose and is shitfaced already
>doesnt bother introducing himself when people say their names
>instantly mixes a huge glass of 50/50 vodka and sprite
>only interested in talking to the girls, they laugh at everything he says
>talk to him in the kitchen
>"what do you think about Nakamura?"
>Carlsen's like: desu Nakamura fucking sucks
>"what do you think about Anand?"
>Anand fucking sucks and is an idiot!
>proceeds to get beligerently drunk
>he says he doesn't drink at all and keeps the women to a minimum while he's playing tournaments
>expects us to pay for his entrance to nightclub
>leaves after 20 minutes with 5/10 girl and bangs all night

God bless you Magnus

pic for proof

sounds like a pretty based guy desu

Fug

>2799.6

kind of a dick, but I dont blame him

i don't care about chess tbqh, just came here because Azerbaijan was mentioned

Anish Giri is married to this

if he weren't world famous, filthy rich and the best chess player of our time I would have used another word

You should take a look at the Chess Olympiad in Baku in September. Jokes aside, Azerbaijan has one of the teams that could very well get on the podium.

My friend is a chess player, i promissed him that i will go there with him, but i have played chess like 10 times in my life, not shure if i will enjoy watching it

We don't force them to come here, you dumbfuck leaf.

There is only one thing to do: spend the month of August to reach a decent playing strength.

America is a nation of immigrants, anyway. Anyone's American as long as you're born there.

Different leaf btw