Where were u when jpeg died

where were u when jpeg died

Other urls found in this thread:

flif.info/lossy.html
aomedia.org/about-us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

does anyone actually willingly save as jpeg anymore.
png bby

You are aware that the image you just uploaded is a .jpg, right?

webp has been a thing for a while now and has $0 in fees

Also
>mac
What are you, gay?

iphones still don't natively support webm right?

why would they support a garbage format?

There have been more efficient compression formats than jpg for over a decade, they just haven't taken off.

whats the browser support for this??

About 17.45

nvm, I always forget that you fucks are useless brainlets

also, not even safari supports it lol.. good luck then

That's a funny way of saying you suck cocks.

>73% browsers are chromium based

Gotta love Apple pushing HEIF on people and not even supporting it in their own proprietary web browser, that's just fucking hilarious.

>a photo editing software supports another format
>this means some other much more widely used format is somehow "dead"

>using PNG to save photos
Do you have brain damage?
Webp is a shitty and unnecessary format. APNG and JPEG2000 are better, and they don't come from an evil company.

Just use BPG

PNG is great because it eats up mobilefag data plans up

You don't know what jpeg is or does

>Literally the first time I have ever heard about this new format
Hory sheet guise jpg was fucking obliterated

> Adobetrash
> Appletrash
Not interested. FLIF / BPG / WebP or some such should win.

This, also shits on Australians with 56K speeds and North Americans with data caps

Because sour grapes kiddo

RAW is the superior format for digital cameras.

gif died too, you know
and here we are, still

>he doesn't save all his pictures as uncompressed png
spacelet cuck.

RAW is not standardized

>uncompressed png
literally why?
if you're gonna use png, you might as well use the compression it offers since it's lossless. It's trivial for modern systems to decompress them anyways.

>hiroshima drops webm support in favor of glorious HEIF since they can also behave like webms but better

are you niggers ready?

it takes time to compress tho.

Literally only a problem for people making the images. You compress once and you're pretty much done for the rest of that particular image's existance.

>Depth-of-field effect
>Lens blur filter

Just kill me now

>webp
>heif
I can't hold all these meme formats

.flif
free lossless image format

>j-moot
>giving the slightest of fucks about his users
I see nothing to prepare for.

>meme format
apple is using HEIF as the default image format for their new iphones so it's gonna turn from meme to standard quite quickly.

slingin .flif like a sultan

Who cares, surely you can’t be so lazy so as not to be bothered with watching webms in Infuse? I find it convenient that all of them automatically save anyway.

>since they can also behave like webms but better
It's not a video format. And nobody sane wants to deal with HEVC anything.

>And nobody sane wants to deal with HEVC anything.

Netflix uses HEVC.

Korean TV broadcasters use HEVC.

Apple uses HEVC.

GoPro uses HEVC.

HEVC also has a ton of hardware support. Pretty much any GPU within the last 2 years.

>tfw still using a Core 2 Duo rig with GIMP for image modification required by writing gig
WELP, TIME TO UPGRADE
THERE WENT MA FUCKIN SAVINGS

And probably most of them only support 8-bit profile because fragmentation is the best thing ever.
For video beyond 1080p HEVC is a must. I don't see AVC dying for lower resolutions anytime soon considering how retarded is HEVC licensing.

Fuck that, when's flif taking off?

it won't be taken seriously with that shitty ass logo.

sounds like someone has never been in any actual industry related to photography or the manipulation of such.

>Webp is a shitty and unnecessary format

>BPG
As far as I can tell HEIF and BPG are basically the same thing. The problem is they are patented. You should use JPEG 2000 or arithmetically encoded JPEGs, which have had their patents expire by now and are nearly as good.

Webp or single frame webms are also a decent alternative. Lossy PNGs are a thing too.

So both BPG and HEIF are based on intra frame coding from H265? What's the point to having both of these, how do they even compare?

jpeg2000 is trash, arithmetic coded jpeg is barely better than normal one with all the downsides and has no support.
Lossy webp is based on an obsolete codec with forced chroma subsampling, single frame webm is pure cancer. Lossy PNG is a hack.

HEIF is standardized, BPG is not.

Please come soon.

By the time 4k gets any spread AV1 will rule the landscape.

>Netflix uses HEVC.
Proprietary and their approach doesn't scale.
>Korean TV broadcasters use HEVC.
Broadcast is not the same as online video. No single corporation does both on a large scale.
>Apple uses HEVC.
Cause they own patents to it and have invested in the development.
>GoPro uses HEVC.
Irrelevant.
>HEVC also has a ton of hardware support. Pretty much any GPU within the last 2 years.
Hardware support is a major factor, but GPU support these days isn't that important.

JPEG 2000 is a ton better pic related.
Arithmetic encoding get 5-10% more compression. Which is not orders of magnitude better, but isn't a trivial gain either.
And if we are talking about new formats, lack of current support is not an argument. It's in the standard and very old anyway.
Chroma subsampling is a given for any lossy format. You shave a ton of bytes for very little perceptible difference.
Lossy PNG isn't really a hack. PNG compression is completely different from everything else and kind of elegant. Maybe lossy FLIF will replace it.

The only image format anyone should care about is FLIF
Not only does it compress the best out of all the image formet, but also animates, has transparency, generation loss is nonexistant and it's responsive by design. This should be the wet dream of all those autistic webdevs who have to generate a bazingallion different resolutions for their responsive websites, yet I'm not seeing much traction here

I can play them in-app on the Sup Forums app I use.

FLIF is a lossless format. Most people want lossy formats. Losing a few pixels you can't visually notice anyway is less important than saving a ton of bytes in bandwidth or storage.

>JPEG 2000 is a ton better pic related.
Better in which way? All I can see is a lot of blurring, characteristic for wavelet encoding. It may be superior in very low filesize scenarios, but if I recall correctly it is hardly better than JPEG if you want more transparent compression. It's dead and buried anyway.
>if we are talking about new formats, lack of current support is not an argument
It is though. JPEG is a very old format waiting for retirement. Adding breaking (for most current implementations) changes for relatively small improvement incurring huge decoding performance penalty is no good.
>Chroma subsampling is a given for any lossy format
Sure, but you can't turn it off at all in WebP's lossy mode. It's unsuitable for high quality encodings of stuff like lineart where subsampling artifacts can be very obvious. Not to mention it's pretty much obsolete and abandoned.
>Lossy PNG isn't really a hack
It's a hack in that it goes full GIF with colors, butchering them indiscriminately to fit in 8-bit index. It forces PNG to act as something it isn't, a lossy codec. FLIF handles lossy compression with elegance and granularity.

FLIF works pretty well as a lossy codec.

Webp does all of this and also has a lossy mode. And it's widely supported. Not universally, but widely.

Holy shit thanks for letting me know such thing exists

Not that user, but that's like 95% of the world.

Also gratz on the trip-dubz.

Yeah, sooner or later, we’ll receive an update to iOS and macOS to support HEIF and its done.

Of course google is not going to support it, but Microsoft will, and Microsoft is not going to support stupid WebP.

BluRay will support HEVC.

Samsung TVs, LG, SONY, HiSense, Panasonic, etc... every TV supports HEVC.

You must be an idiot to think WebM bs will have any luck...

In the future, all images will be stored in raw bmp format as filesize and bandwidth become less and less meaningful.

Every megabyte of data you move over the internet burns a lump of coal. Think of the polar bears. Always use compression.

LOL flif.info/lossy.html

It's a single frame video format, literally. It's using VP8/9. Generation loss, worse compression, worse artifacts, NOT responsive. It's Chrome only anyway

>BluRay will support HEVC.
>Samsung TVs, LG, SONY, HiSense, Panasonic, etc... every TV supports HEVC.
What do these companies have to do with online video? Nothing, these companies have their hands only in broadcast and cinema. Online video is dictated by a totally different set of companies, pic related. aomedia.org/about-us

FLIF's lossy mode is a hack that doesn't even compare to regular JPEGs, let alone a modern lossy format. All it does is basically upscale a lower resolution image.

Firefox has announced they will support it a year ago. Not that it matters much, Chrome has dominant market share.

Shave your ass.

>posts text image as jpg

You should die, babe.

>heif
>he

extremely problematic

>aplel
>standard

I primary lossless when I create or make something and output jpeg most of the time as png is to large for the task.

that is an issue only when you share images.

Driving my chevy to the levee.

sheif works surprisingly well: sheath

from what I can tell, flif would be able to re encode most of what I have and save a fuckton of space

even lossy I could pass through it and it would come out lower file size for non appreciable difference in quality.

Lol imagine when fruitposters can't upload their images here anymore.

Honest question: Why do we need webm? Isn't mp4 sufficient?

Freedumbs.

Try it because I doubt it will work.

Patents.

Which one?

But how do you pronounce it?

And it doesn't even matter that much because the support at the OS level is really high now.

Hey fergh

jay peg

Why do you people even care? You're still all fucking losers anyway.

Rymes with queef

considering the image viewer I uses for my mass collection is open source and its next to impossible to look at with a normal browser, all the dev would have to do is implement the image format and make a small conversion thing for it too.

Neither easy to do, but something for future consideration.

and at that point, its only a problem when sharing.

bout time...

.png is superior in every aspect

Those TVs are most likely going to be using HEVC to stream from companies like Amazon,
Netflix and hulu because most of them now are smart TVs that stream online video.

TVs can support multiple codecs. Some TVs probably already support vp9 just for youtube 4k. Youtube is already a big enough platform on its own.

heifer but without the -er

I did it!

>The problem is they are patented.
That, no offense, is a problem mainly in the USA. Most other nations don't have software patents.

Frankly, software patents are such a blight that I'm going to be happy enough (even though it's really not my preference) to accept a codec that is legal to use everywhere but in the USA.

topkek user

RAW aren't meant to be actuality displayed
They are 50% green

APNG is heavy as fuck

>current year
>not having unlimited or at least 50GB cap
lmao @ you

evil number
APNG is a half assed format. It was just a hack mozilla threw together and the creators of png opposed (recommending their own MNG format which no one uses.) APNG has no delta compression. It's just a series of independent image frames forced into the same file. Even gif has a crude form of that with unchanged pixels.

>developed by the Moving Picture Experts Group
Dropped.

Is FLIF the opus of images?

/thread