In the last Mr robot episode, the FBI as a spying malware on Hackerman computer

In the last Mr robot episode, the FBI as a spying malware on Hackerman computer.
By his 6th sense he decides to run a rootkit check with a live USB.
But FBI can monitor him even though he's not booting his compromised hard drive.

How is that possible?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide/Disabling_the_Intel_Management_Engine
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Eck_phreaking
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

All CPUs from '11 or so have dedicated hardware to provide a backdoor. The die of you CPU houses an extra SPARC CPU with access to networking (useful for wake on LAN), RAM and pretty much all resources. It's firmware is encrypted and signed and it pretty much temper free. If you wipe its firmware your main CPU (i.e. the i5 you thought you were buying in the first place) will cease to work because of a kill switch mechanism.

If your PC is connected to a power source and a network it's accessible from the web. Your PC doesn't even have to be turned on because there's always power supplied to your mobo anyway (enough for this SPARC CPU).

Source?

I remember reading somewhere that they have bugged vga/hdmi connectors. Can't confirm though.

You're talking about the Intel ME?

If so how does this shows on rkhunter?

You'd have to plug a physical device connected to a network on the port like those devices that spy on keyboard strokes.

>first 2 seasons: FUCK SOCIETY IMMA REBEL NOW

>Season 3: FUCK THIS, I WANT MY CORPORATION BACK *showing pictures of Trump*

I have never in my life dropped the show but this was the one

It more like:
>FUCK BIG CORPORATION
>OH SHIT EVERYTHING IS TERRIBLE NOW,BETTER SAVE THEM

> SPARC
Actually ARM. But SPARC would be nicer.

> Source
For common knowledge?

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki's_EFI_Install_Guide/Disabling_the_Intel_Management_Engine

Cmon, if someone's elite haxxor you would expect he will do 2+2 and realize if the biggest company in the world is down it would bring chaos

Fuck, I know this and i'm a neet from balkan shithole

They literally went this route because of Trump winning

His sister was doing just that in the last episode.

This
is probably most plausible.

FBI spying malware cooperates with the hardware backdoor to (a) run in background at all times or (b) force its way into being executed in live USB environment.

His sister installed a display tap on his monitor which wirelessly transmits the video signal. All the FBI personnel are doing is seeing what he sees on the monitor - there's no rootkit involved.

this

I wonder what's going to happen next episode.
Is he going to fist fight the feds?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Eck_phreaking

This shit is real and amazing. My boss did this for a project once. It's unreal to see the image slowly appear out of noise.

Having equipment capable of doing this is usually considered illegal, though (well not by law but they will fuck you up because muh national security).

(Note: I dropped this after the first few episodes, this is less of a critique of your aguement. but more the show) But if l33t hackerman is such 13 1337 h4x0r wouldn't you think he would install something on his case to prevent tampering and use the previously supplied guide to disable the Intel Management Engine?

There's no know way of completely disabling it while having a usable computer for more then 30 seconds (or 300 whatever the watchdog timer is set on). He's an idiot though, for not running VIA or other CPU brand.

>Actually ARM. But SPARC would be nicer.

Actually ARC, not ARM.

I thought of the CPU thing to, plus he would notice either the perfomance increase, or decrease, plus again he would tamper protect his case in the first place if he has half a brain

I haven't watched this season yet, but it seemed obvious that's where they were going with the show after everything went to shit after ecorp was taken down.

Yeah, he's about to get online and shitpost, pauses at the keyboard, then starts booting Kali.
But if there has been a physical device on the port, it would have been obvious enough to notice it at first sight.

All new Intel and new AMD has secondary CPU inside their main CPU. Its main design is to spy.

Cmon, it should be obvious if loopholes in system are not patched and corruption not chased after that corporations will abuse them, the point of corporations is to make money, its not a human with feeling and empathy

What im trying to say is that the real bad guy they should have been chasing from the start are the government, for sitting on their asses and not bothering with strenghtening the law, patching up loopholes, cutting down on corruption
Just imagine how different the world would become by simply treating corruption worse than murder in the court

I thought the pause was him thinking of strategies how to get to the fbi.
I mean it was pretty obvious that his sister tampered with the monitor, so he must've known immediately.

So that's how FBI was still getting screenshots even on the live USB.
Then it would mean Hackerman notices the device off camera, uses the computer only to send the phishing email knowing he was being monitored.

Yeah, but Elliot don't know this, Mr Robot was awake at that time.

Elliot spectated the situation the same way he did before.
Mr Robot went away as soon as the sister fucked off, then Elliot asked the audience "You saw that too? How is she compromised?"
I think that's what happened anyway, don't remember exactly.

In addition to IME and infected CPU microcode updates, they could also have compromised the SSD, HDD, GPU, HDMI, mouse, keyboard, or USB hub firmware. The most obvious would be the USB stick itself though.

The attack surface for hardware is wide but it gets even crazier when you consider the side channels available: secret keys can be extracted from power draw analysis, acoustics, timing attacks... An infected air gapped machine can quietly transmit data through concrete to a nearby receiver by modulating its EM radiation just by repeatedly reading and writing to memory.

Do you remember this scene?

She was doing something behind his monitor, probably she used hardware backdoor pluged to hdmi that is streaming monitor screen to them.

Thats why he there was 0 rootkits.

Yet he uses the monitored computer only for the phishing email

what the fuck, before he sent this phising email he was talking with his doc and his alter ego said "we are compromised" after meeting with doc he was on the metro he said "we were compromised, what does this mean", then he went home, checked his pc for rootkits and the send this phishing bait email.

what the fuck

Should have used libreboot