Can someone explain the Thinkpad meme to me...

Can someone explain the Thinkpad meme to me? I know literally nothing about laptops and I always see it posted around here. What's so good about it?

God created the universe on a Thinkpad.

they're dirt poor and used thinkpads are cheap. and their autistic hands can't use a normal touchpad

they're durable, upgradeable, repairable and affordable thanks to a large used market. most other laptops are glued and soldered together and when one minor part breaks after warranty you're expected to buy a new one.

>good build quality
>designed for efficient working instead of looking pretty
>cheap when bought used since companies dump old models to the used laptop market
The first 2 points are less and less true with every Lenovo model though

Visit the Thinkpad thread for these kinds of questions, that thread is there for a reason. Briefly it's a good laptop for people that want a reliable USED laptop at a decent price. For anyone that wants a new laptop, they should be avoided at any cost.

They're good and cheap because they're usually bought in bulk by large businesses then liquidated for pennies.

Good cheap second hand computers. Loads of them on ebay and on other sites. Solid, more than quick enough for day to day use, and much cheaper and better than similarly priced new options.

Also have a look at elitebook and latitude computers.

Not as popular, but six core xeon desktop workstations are also cheaply available.

Can confirm, older elitebooks are dope

it has a meme resolution that is not suitable to be considered for use in 2017, and everyone that tells you to buy one is trolling you because they were trolled and too weak to make their own decision.

Next you'll tell me that IBM Model M keyboards are shit

> Visit the Thinkpad thread for these kinds of questions, that thread is there for a reason. Briefly it's a good laptop for people that want a reliable USED laptop at a decent price. For anyone that wants a new laptop, they should be avoided at any cost.

Lmao at the buy used adage. If you are employed with a respectable job then buying new should not be a problem and they are great devices new. If you find yourself constantly playing eBay bargain hunt/repair someone else's trash, reassess your life and work on improving your financial footing first.

I was replying to OP. I'm not interested into bulky pieces of hardware. Buying a new Thinkpad isn't really convenient, at least in Europe.

If you already have a desktop computer and just need a secondary computer for when you're at school or whatever, then a used business laptop makes a lot of sense. Why spend 1000 dollars on a laptop when a 100 dollar one can cover all your needs well enough.

Cheap new laptops are absolute turds compared to a well kept used business laptop.

>Buying a new Thinkpad isn't really convenient, at least in Europe.
The fuck are you talking about?

No shitty touchpad.

Think on all the positives and negatives of a macbook.
Then flip em around and oyu get a Thinkpad.

no buckling spring is what I grew up on so that's alright.

>Durability
>Linux compatability
>Abundant
>Cheap
The list goes on

Its the perfect laptop for college students eapecially in STEM.

>Cheap new laptops are absolute turds compared to a well kept used business laptop.
This is the important part. A used $400 chinkpad is a perfectly serviceable machine and will serve for a long time, the same amount of money at the electronics store gets you one of those Atom-powered turds that are frustrating to use right from the get go.

great laptop if you're on a budget
a meme otherwise

LMAO your bring your T420 to an Engineering class and try to install a CAD on it

Why would you ever do CAD on a fucking laptop?

I bought a i7 you class power laptop $550 at a big-box store 2 years ago and I regret it. The processor is decent but the overall build is just bad. It also has the worst monitor I've used in my life. When I started poking around eBay for used thinkpads I was shocked to see that I could get a w series ThinkPad with a quad-core processor for about the same money I paid often with a 1080p display. They are three or five years old by now but they still greatly outperform any u class chip. W series usually have dedicated gpus installed although I'm pretty sure there meant for AutoCAD work and not sure if gaming with them would be a good idea. Thinking of getting myself one. Although I would replace the storage with a fresh SSD and the optical drive with another hard drive.

I wonder if it would be Overkill since it's not going to run anything more demanding then Dwarf Fortress or maybe Minecraft.

Because you obviously can't bring your desktop to class. Fucking basement dweller.

>it has a meme resolution
The W500 and 510 has 1920 x 1200, and the w520 and w530 have 1920 x 1080. Those don't sound like meme resolutions to me.

>No shitty touchpad.
No, the touchpad sucks on most thinkpads. The trackpoint is good, but the touchpad is utter shit.

Libreboot

>not sure if gaming with them would be a good idea
It isn't great on my W520. I can run most recent 3D games on low graphics and 720p, higher resolutions / graphics don't always work. But graphics aren't a big deal to me so it doesn't matter. It runs minecraft without hiccups. I couldn't imagine that dwarf fortress would be more demanding.

>Thinking of getting myself one. Although I would replace the storage with a fresh SSD and the optical drive with another hard drive.
They also have an mSATA port below the keyboard, so you could have your OS drive be on mSATA, and bulk storage be in the normal drive bay. Then you could use a battery in the ultrabay or keep the optical disc drive.
It's kind of annoying to me to not be able to rip DVDs or CDs since I can't use my ultrabay HDD at the same time as my ultrabay ODD. My w520 is fairly snappy with an SSD. I have no issues using it, but it is a really heavy laptop and the power brick weighs a ton.
Also look for one for a w5x0 series with a fingerprint reader. It's such a nice feature to have.

Not him, but every school or college I've been inside of has had a CAD Lab for the students to do class in.

I'm doing windows updates atm so i can create a restore image, and then install manjaro XFCE for dual boot.

£120 for a machine that will get me through the next 3 years of uni that gets 6 hours of battery life is a pretty good deal user.

Damn that's actually pretty accurate. Shit screen but great build quality.

This.

If the gpu can handle Minecarft without graphics mods, then great. I love the idea of syncing my Minecarft and Dwarf Fortress worlds without fear of FPS death. The farthest I usually take my laptop is a 15 to 30 minute walk to a coffee shop. Is just that I want a laptop to work as a "home away form home" when I travel to visit family about once a year. I'm so considering a 2 in 1 touchscreen laptop to use as a tablet or a netbook for when a W series ThinkPad would be to big heavy.

I have little to no use for an optical drive. So I'd rather replace it with more storage.

> Shit screen
> Not the prettiest
> Maximalism > Minimalism
> GOAT keyboard (classic, not new one)
> Modular and easy to repair
> Modded to death (Libreboot, coreboot, keyboard swaps, 1080p mod for x220, T60/T61 frankenpad, Broadwell motherboard on X61 and Kaby Lake on T60)
> Thicc and all of the ports needed
You are actually spot on

Well, that's nice. Here we don't really have cad machines.

Quality laptop for dirt cheap + easily upgradable.
I've had 2 thinkpad T61p's

First one I bought for ~$70
> 1920x1200 screen
> nvidia quatro fx 570m (256mb vram)
> intel core 2 duo at 2.4ghz
> came with 1gb ram .. upgraded to 4gb
> 64gb ssd + 500gb hard drive (ultrabay)
It died when the 570m shit out so I just bought another (lasted me 3 year)

Second one ($50 - came without hdd and ram)
Same specs except 1600x1050 screen and my Chinese knockoff ultrabay shit the bed (it's still kicking after be owning it for about 3 years)

I'll do a panel swap to get my sweet 1920x1200 back but I'm too lazy for that right now

Basically it's a good laptop, easily to upgrade and can be bought for pennies on the dollar and does exactly what I need it for (programming, word processing, web browsing and watching tv / movies) while at school

what shit school you go to where they don't have computers with CAD on them in the lab? Any laptop you put CAD on is gonna absolutely rekt the battery on even for making some shit tier fidget spinner.

>here
What 3rd world place you live in? Brazil? Sudan? London?

Modern business laptops are good.
This will shock most people but spending $1500 on a laptop instead of $300 means you can have a much nicer machine.

The old Thinkpads Sup Forums praises are mostly just a meme.
Sure, if you only have $300 to spend it's better than a new $300 laptop but it's still shit compared to a modern business laptop.

>watching tv / movies
nigga what

tv shows or movies
dunno how else I would have said it other than that

Yea but Jamal will still steal it. I rather lose $300 on a machine that Jamal prob won't have interest in because it looks archaic compared to a $1500 one.

I only shitpost on Sup Forums because it's Sup Forums lite. Last movie I saw was months ago.

I'm just surprised a T61 can handle that

Don't be silly, Jamal only steals Macbooks.

Plus they have a lock hole if you're that worried.

I don't usually watch movies either but figured I'd include it because it has happened
It does. I can even play 2d games like hotline miami, FTL and risk of rain no problem on it, however I have a desktop for gaming.
(I'm running debian if anyone gave a shit)

1. usually sold as surplus on ebay or gotten for free by IT workers
2. partially modular, easy to take apart, easy to repair, and easy to upgrade
3. libreboot, easy linux support
4. keyboards are better than about any other laptop
5. durable as fuck
6. not gaudy, although overly bulky

its the first laptop on the moon
im a thinkpad owner and a omega watch onwer
perfect combo

No Hasselblad camera owner?