Y-you don't have more than 700 packages on you're system, do you, user?

>y-you don't have more than 700 packages on you're system, do you, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nilesr/dotfiles/blob/master/.shell_prompt.sh#L94-L168
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>muh package count
I don't see the problem as long as you use all of them but if you really care then just create your own distro and don't use a package manager then you'll have 0 packages installed

I have 3056 packages installed

How many is too many?

pacman -Q | wc -l

Damn, I failed to fit within your arbitrary metrics. And Arch even combines a lot of packages that on other distributions would be split. Time to commit sudoku.

>877
damn

comf > minimalism

But minimalism is top comf..?

>implying package count means anything

No it's not
Minimalism is cold, sterile, soulless, and uncomfortable

pacman -Q | wc -l

nah man, more the merrier

>tfw over 3000 packages

guy who only has a computer to post in screenfetch and riced de threads detected

literally why would i need more

Fuck off Twirl, I have a hard drive made this millennium.

dpkg -l | grep '^ii' | wc -l
looks like i dont

I didn't, until I installed KDE for whatever reason.
Now that KDE finally broke after an update I might as well just reinstall the whole OS because that shit is impossible to get rid of entirely.

sorry user im not an autist so i dont use linux :(

tfw 100 packages. bsd tho

>never tried anything other than M$ window$
>not an autist

It's impossible to keep a system non-bloated when you are working with cuda
Fucking nvidia retards

pacman -Q | wc -l

You need 700 packages before you have a base system that's viable for doing anything productive.

How do you all do it? I come across an interesting package, try it and forget to remove.

same
occasionally i go through dpkg -l to see if i have anything to purge

I have 2000, but fuck tex alone needs a 100

How many packages are in KDE?

Several.

I've got about 1300 because I do shit
what does having more packages even matter anyway? I've got exactly what I need

That's obvious. I wanted an actual number, ideally including every single dependency.

I see. I have no idea. Gambatte on your research.

rip

Minimalism is one of the most harmful memes on here.

>on you are system

depends. how much packages does windows 10 fall creators update have?

how did ya get these arrows?

>vim-airline
>download powerscript fonts (collection on github)
>change non-ascii fonts to a powerscript font(iterm2)
>adjust fontsize till clean

2/2
that aint vim though but same principle

Packages installed: 595
Packages in world: 77
Packages in system: 44
Required packages: 595
Number to remove: 0

bite me

People who care about package count are the same people who eat gluten free organic Certified Vegan soy. Faggot.

this

i love how ganooo loonax freetards are all about trying to use absolutely no resources for anything when literally the most "demanding" thing they do on their 80 year old thinkpad

>NOT turning your computer into a digital swiss army knife
someone has never been out of a connection...

>[root@akame ~]# pacman -Q|wc -l

Oops. And that's just my home server.

I installed a build environments for building a specific Android rom and that alone are more than 100 packages.
As addition to that i need one specific emacs package for the build env and it pulls 40 emacs packages as a dependency packages.

Its disgusting

You installed them all? You madman!

Packages: 2781

newfriend

>I don't know how to use traditional Unix toolsets.
>I just download an "app" to do trivial shit that could be done with sed/awk/perl/bash...

This is the mindset of nu-Sup Forums

holy shit lol

Looks like you're missing a sentence in the end, niggerfaggot.

22 hundred packages

I have over 9000

pacman -Q | wc -l

I failed you user

-Qe is the only count that matters

pacman -Q | wc -l

It's quite easy to go over that limit

dpkg -l | awk '$2 ~ /^mono/ || /libmono/ {print $0}' | wc -l

2237 packages i have

>1522
botnet

I eat gluten free organic Certified Vegan soy, use Arch Linux and I do care about my package count (at least a bit). Imagine how hard it is to start a conversation, each time I have to decide which I'm going to bring up first, the fact that I use Arch or the fact that I'm vegan. Should probably start wearing a badge or something.

Is that your face when you're having a stroke?

Let's compare then, shall we!
pacman -Qe | wc -l

also
pacman -Qem | wc -l

>Should probably start wearing a badge or something.

I've got 1.9757 times as many packages. But 15 or so of them are virtual packages, so it's fine.

This is on a VPS running Ubuntu Server

nah

Why not? Are you one of those who think that "more things stored on your harddrive makes your computer slower"?
$ dpkg -l | grep ^ii | wc
3019 30710 440462

Certainly, a lot of that is stuff that I might have tried something with five years ago and simply not uninstalled, because why would I?

Some reasons to uninstall packages you don't use:
- Makes the system easier to maintain
- Might make the possible attack surface smaller
- More space for storing other stuff
- Bragging rights on Sup Forums

>makes a mistake
>b-but it's a meme!

I have over 650,000 files in my node_modules.

>- Makes the system easier to maintain
This particular system has been installed and running for 5+ years and I have noticed no such problems, so I think you are talking shit, user.
>- Might make the possible attack surface smaller
Having packages installed are not the same thing as having daemons in those programs running. I do take notice of such things, and also of SUID programs being installed.
>- More space for storing other stuff
I've got /home over NFS.
>- Bragging rights on Sup Forums
One would think having a system installed and maintained for a long time is worth more bragging rights than just using it for screenfetches and ricing (((in a VM))).

I've only had this installation () for 3 years. As such I'm clearly in no position to tell you what to do when it comes to maintaining a GNU/Linux system. You seem to know what you're doing and if it works for you then continue doing it. I still think the first point holds true even if the benefits are minor (easier to check which packages are about to be updated, less time spent downloading and installing, less config files cluttering your home directory etc.).

Having /home on a remote computer is something I've been meaning to try for a long time, but never got around to it. Can you set it up so that you can mount and use it simultaneously on multiple computers without conflicts?

Do additional packages slow the system down like Windows' bloat over time?
t. windows user

>less config files cluttering your home directory
The package manager doesn't maintain your home directory for you.
>easier to check which packages are about to be updated
How so? There's no difference to how apt-get upgrade depending on how many packages are installed. Is this an Arch thing?
>less time spent downloading and installing
Valid point in theory, perhaps, but I've never been bothered by it. Apt is more than well fest enough for my needs.

>Can you set it up so that you can mount and use it simultaneously on multiple computers without conflicts?
Certainly, that's half the point of using it. Modifying the same file from multiple computers is no stranger than having multiple processes on the same computer modify it simultaneously.

>I have free time to make everything into a shell script
This is the NEET mindset.

>The package manager doesn't maintain your home directory for you.
I guess you could delete just the config file while keeping the related package installed, sure. It probably isn't regenerated unless you use the package anyway (assuming it is something that can be run and needs a config file).
>How so? There's no difference to how apt-get upgrade depending on how many packages are installed. Is this an Arch thing?
Probably more of a "me" thing than an Arch thing. I just like to check what will be updated (usually only a few packages since I update pretty much daily on this system) and then restart programs if needed or check out a changelog if the version number indicates a major change. I guess this is less relevant for packages you have installed in the past but don't use anymore.

Less packages installed also means that it's easier to see the relevant information at a glance. I also take this as an opportunity to cull my package count further, so if I see something I don't recognize I search around and see if I really need it. All about preference I guess. I haven't really tried to come up with any reasons for or against keeping the package count low, it's just something that felt right to me. Perhaps partly due to my first Arch system (this one) only having a 16GB SSD installed.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ dpkg --list | wc --lines

it is a pubkey secured server, so remain chill about my host and username

root@mansion:~# ls -d /var/db/pkg/*/* | wc -l

I need to remove some one package, dang it

I have thousands of packages on my system because I try out all different kinds of software and combinations for development.I have all my important files mounted on a seperate disk so if things get out of hand, I just wipe it out and start out fresh.

I can see the point for a server, buy why limit yourself on your workstation or personal computer?

$ dpkg -l |grep '^ii' |wc -l
This system has been initially installed approximately in 2010. Debian unstable.
There are about 100 text files in my ~ and everything else is a huge mess too. But I know where stuff is.

>ITT it's archfags comparing package count when arch packs bloated packages with build dependencies included

but goy, I'm running gentoo

>Debian unstable
is that like ubuntu stable?

did you just assume my distro?

github.com/nilesr/dotfiles/blob/master/.shell_prompt.sh#L94-L168

newfriend, lurk moar