Same tabs open

>same tabs open
>more than 3 times the memory

do i... do i stop using the new firefox? this makes me sad i wanted to stop being a chrome slave.

Firefox Quantum is just a meme. Mozilla tries to keep up with Google but simply they just can't.

Just stop being poor

guess we're all stuck as botnet slaves :(

computers also running much quieter since i went back to chrome. fans used to go every 30 secs with firefox. dont even hear them turn on with chrome. oh well, was fun while it lasted i guess.

POO

>firefox: ~200 tabs, ~70 active
>chrome: 3 tabs

I totally believe you, OP.

Chrome is still using 200MB per tab, so it's not exactly good software.

Consider getting off a toaster.

My desktop fans never go above 1k rpm (slowest speed).

Edge takes half as much as Chrome or less.

you clearly only have (7) processes running in either one. not 200 tabs.

why dont more people use edge then?

>lol buy a new computer so idiots can make their software even shitter

Stop encouraging this bullshit.

So you admit to being on a toaster? Dust closet? Or are your fan curves just shit?

Chrome probably just unloaded the tabs. I sure love when I click a Youtube or Twitch tab I was watching earlier and it reloads the page and starts from the beginning of the video again.

i said theyre shit on firefox. on chrome they never even go on.

>chrome
>main process
>tab
>tab
>tab
>ublock
>gpu process
>something else that doesn't show up in chrome's task manager

>firefox
>main process
>content process
>content process
>content process
>content process
>webextensions
>gpu

Firefox doesn't create one process per tab.

They probably don't know.

>he's a RAMlet
le smug anime girl

just tested Edge. same tabs open, used more than Chrome, not 3x as much like Firefox, but still more.

OK then, what is the acceptable cost to the user, in order to have a good experience with software that has gotten significantly worse over the last few years?

Should they spend $300? $500?

What is the amount a user should spend to use bad software?

RAMS like $100 lol

Dunno, but he didn't refute one of my three points.

There's also external factors that could influence performance, especially for ramlets. Out of RAM (easy mode)? Enjoy Windows slamming the drive constantly, generating heat and noise.

But a "toaster" would probably need a new motherboard and processor to get extra RAM, would they not? If we're saying you'd need over 4GB then an old toaster with a 32bit processor would need to be totally replaced.

It's the opposite for me.

>32bit
>4gb ram
if you're that poor, you deserve to be filtered out from the internet.

Given 64-bit has been available since 2000, they reap what they sow.

Why doesn't my rock play back youtube videos in firefox at 4k?

Laptop?

I think you're missing the point. That computer is more than enough for any home software besides web browsers, and they've increased insultingly in size over the last few years. So come on, what is the price someone should pay to encourage poorly made software?

If someone has a computer that could play top of the range games only a decade ago, but is now struggling rendering text on the screen, then the issue is not the computer. Crysis recommends 2GB of memory. A web browser should not require 75% of that memory.

You imply it's the web browsers changing more than the content they serve up.

Everybody and their mom needs flashy effects and 50 frontend libraries and font glyphs loaded or it's a shit design. And who knows what the frontend code itself is doing.

nope

i5 6500
8gb RAM

anyways i really wanted to use ff57 just because i generally like the underdog in things, but the shit fucking sucks compared to chrome lol

I have several hundred tabs open. Chrome will throw it's hands up in the air and refuse to work. Startup time is abysmal. The computer runs out of memory and slows to a crawl or starts killing things. you can't even select different tabs. It's simply unusuable.

Firefox handles this fine. Tabs that aren't in use go to disk saving tons of memory. I only use 2 GB and my computer runs fine. I wish I switched to Firefox much sooner.

well thats good for you i guess. i only have around 10 tabs open at any time.

How many are you guys using?

You too

How many cores/threads does your CPU have?

4 cores. no hyperthreading.

>Chrome: wears out the SSD
>Firefox: doesn't wear out the SSD.

Interesting.

>wearing out the ssd meme

that was when they first came out. they have like 10 years straight worth of writing rewriting constantly before they wear out.

Firefox : 0.8 Mbps
Crome : 13.3 Mbps
Hard to guess which browser is a botnet.

lol those numbers fluctuate wildly often. sometimes ff will be using that much, sometimes chrome. i had 2 streams going, 1 in each browser.

I just checked my task manager.

Firefox
>3,548MB used
Chrome
>0MB used

Well, I suppose Chrome wins again.

It takes up 0MB on my hard drive too. Amazing.

Honestly, I fucking hate firefox now. I used to use it exclusively for many years, but I just can't use it anymore because it is so shit. I have like 13 tabs open and it uses close to 1.7gb, while doing the same thing in chromium uses close to 1gb. Plus firefox doesn't run tabs as separate processes so if one tab crashes or needs to load something the whole browser freezes. Not to mention chromium loads content like web pages and videos much faster than firefox.

Which is a mistake.

One process per tab is a damage control mechanism that Google decided to use because they were afraid of crashes and security issues.
Once Servo is finished there will be no reason to use multiple content processes, we already have threads.
However, a separate process for talking to the gpu is still a good idea because you can't guarantee that a driver problem won't crash your program.