Fairphone : Dare I say, /ourphone/?

So what that it looks like shit?
>removable battery
>literally every component is modular and can be replaced with a phillips screwdriver
>2 sim card slots for 2 numbers
>built to last over 5 years
Watch the "UR JUST POOR" status-device shills post here in the next 5 minutes.

Other urls found in this thread:

fairphone.com/en/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

But is it a real thing or more modular phone vaporware?

Link?

Device stats?

I'd buy one for 350€

Here'a s link lads.
It's 500 Canadian Dollars which is about 250 Euro I believe.
fairphone.com/en/
Real modular. Their first model was god-tier from a repairability standpoint.

funny thing is the fairphone 1 is not any longer supported because they cant get parts. so no 5 years for you kek

my best friend has it and it's pretty dissapointing. the microphone broke twice, had to change the plastic shell and it's super slow. 500 eurodollars for a mid range phone that constantly brakes

lol

The original components are built to last 5 years. With purchased parts it should just last as long as you repair it.

Non-free baseband with full access to the RAM.
Thumbs down.

>still no standardized mainboards
no way this will be a trend, you cant just make upgrades if there's no standard no one would invest development resources to just make it fit on every itineration.

;) calling me out beforehand doesn't negate ;) the fact that you ARE a poorfag ;)

Why the fuck would you include canadian monoply money prices and euro prices without giving the price in real money (AKA USD), the currency used by most people on this site?

>It can be yours today for €525 (around £395/US$570/AU$805.
don't give a shit about it unless they intend to offer android support for YEARS beyond what anybody else is doing

>built to last 5 years
>OS is already 2 Android versions behind

Long term app compatibility and exploit patching is important desu.

¥45000

More like whiteguiltphone

does it run without some replaceable modules? Like no microphone/camera? At least that would be a step in the right direction

yes because free baseband grow on trees

>that anemic battery
>marshmallow
>conflict free (i'm not paying more for a pointless meme that won't actually help some 3rd world shithole's economy)

but does it accept the bigger sim cards that most dumb phones used? i will keep using my 5 year old lg phone until someone makes a modern phone with the old sim card slot and not these retarded nanominimicro shits.

the camera module is usually removable on normal phones too. its connected with a removable cable.

It looks like it will be junk other than being modular.

i want to have the best phone even if it means millions of people suffered in agony to made it.

It's not going to get any more Android version updates because they're using the Snapdragon 801 SoC which Snapdragon isn't making new drivers for due to lack of demand.

*especially* if it means that.

For all the people saying I'm a moralfag, I didn't mean that buying the phone means helping (((someone))), I meant that it's good because parts are repalceable.

>yes because free baseband grow on trees
The non-free baseband should be isolated and not have root privileges in the system. See:
Openmoko & Librem phones.

Just ask your carrier for a new SIM you idiot

The modular part is really appealing: I may have to toss an otherwise perfectly good iPhone SE because there's an unfixable battery drain somewhere (not sure if I can get a replacement board or not, will cross that bridge after I try one other thing).

...but the 'ethnical' shit sounds like pure wank.

>android
I'll pass.

Clone your sim dipshit.

Hardware lasts fucking forever unless you're actively breaking it so it doesn't fucking matter. Having up to date Android is way more important.

What the fuck is a fair phone, what a stupid name. A phone is worth what ever you're willing to pay.

Way too expensive for how slow it is, plus the availability of spare parts over here is way too low.

Never mind the spare parts don't really seem to be standardized properly like computer parts.

So not only doesn't it seem like there are no parts available near me - there never will be 'cause other vendors won't be building the same standard parts.

Fuck me, this company organized a hike like this to "raise awareness" for some combination of being "green" with eneloops and fairphones and such.

Some march of inefficiency for 5 months through civilized Europe. They "prove" to me that they have a long holiday, yea.

>device costs $625
>performs worse than $150 Xiaomi
>spare parts are frequently out of stock, making the whole "user-replaceable" thing moot
>no North American LTE bands, just like the cheapest chink phones