Something just feels off about Gnome, and I can't really say what it is

Something just feels off about Gnome, and I can't really say what it is.

Perhaps you could help me /gee/.

It exists.

shitty global alt-tab

no windowlist/dock by default so you can't see your programs at a glance, even though the top bar easily takes up as much space as the taskbar in KDE

stuttering animations on both X and Wayland

Almost EVERYTHING Gnome does for it's UI and work flow is done poorly in varying degrees.
There isn't really one thing, using Gnome3 is a death by a thousand paper cuts.

>unironically using anything else than Xfce or just a WM
>inb4 muh screen tearing
install a compositor faggot

>Perhaps you could help me /gee/
Use a different DE.
You're welcome.

I've been using GNOME 3 for a couple years now, my complaints are as follows:

1) Fucking titlebars, no they don't need to be 100px tall
2) Fuck that whole hot spot thing over the activities button, you used to be able to turn it off but I haven't figured out how in the newest versions
3) Trying to edit icons in the program menu or in the favorites bar (e.g. to point the Files icon to nemo instead of nautilus) usually doesn't work
4) which brings me to my fourth point, Nautilus is complete and total garbage and I don't know how anyone approved it to be shipped as the default file manager. I always install Nemo and change it to default

Other than that nothing really comes to mind

Try gnome tweak tools to remove the hot spot in the corner

A
FUCKING
FEET

Designed for tablets

Nobody ever used it on a tablet.

You used to be able to do that, and then it was a shell extension, and at one point I did it by editing some config file or something but I haven't found the configuration to remove it yet and at least the last time I tried it the shell extension didn't work.

Actually, I just found an extension that works. Still kinda sucks that you need a shell extension to have that option.

>Designed for tablets
>First two major releases required you hold a key to see the button that turns off the computer
Really greps my /var/log/almonds

Sounds like Windows 10 desu.

Works on, and designed for aren't the same thing, which was exactly my point. The fucking thing has never worked on any tablet, but it was designed as if tablets would be the next master race and we'd all abandon keyboards. GNOME wanted to jump on the bandwagon and have their own "app store", but they were so obsessed with bullshit aesthetics that they never really progressed beyond a basic desktop which still offers less than Gnome2 did.

Let me tell you why, THE FUCKING TITLEBAR IS T H I C C AS FUCK.

except that Windows is actually running on tablets

Gnome is trash because their dev team are fucking arrogant pieces of shit that pus their non workflows to their user base.
Also striping a program of features is not a feature fucking stop promoting lacy faggots that cant even innovate

This is the problem with Linux development over the last 10 or so years: fucking around for the sake of it, for no benefit for the user, because it's fun to play with.

There was nothing functionally wrong with KDE3 and GNOME2, but they couldn't just leave it alone. No one had any problem with it. no one was saying "I like GNOME, but I wish it was more like Windows 8."

>except that Windows is actually running on tablets
Yes, I'm sure there are token products that Microsoft can point to in order to make that claim.

there is also a shitton of convertibles and laptops with touchscreens

and there are actually people buying and using them

>Gnome doesn't feel like native software. It feels like a web page interface or Java applet.

>Most people want a traditional desktop interface, not a tablet or mobile. Windows 8 went with the tablet meme and failed. Ubuntu went with the mobile meme and failed. Gnome went with the tablet interface meme, it'll fail too.

>Gnome routinely removes useful features, they totally neutered Gnome Files / Nautilus. We now have to use file managers from other projects like Nemo or Caja to actually have some functionality with a fucking basic file manager.

>Gnome treats its users like retards, even more so than Apple.

>Huge fucking title bars that take up most of your laptop screen space.

>You can't move the fucking clock which is stuck right smack dab in the center of the top bar.

>They made Gnome dependent on systemd. Making a DE dependent on an init system is just insane.

Xfce > KDE > Cinnamon > Mate > Unity > LXDE > dog turd > Gnome

I dislike what gnome became. Their moto is "from devs to devs" except that GNOME is fucking tablet focused for some goddamn reason.
The fuck they wanted to do with it is beyond me. I hate GNOME now, I loved GNOME2 but this is fucking shit.
t. i3wm user

> Their moto is "from devs to devs"
All this is evidence is that developers shouldn't be allowed to call the shots when it comes to software.

So was KDE, they say so on their site. Can you imagine using that clusterfuck on a tablet? At least Gnome could potentially work as a tablet environment. KDE is an unfocused mess even as a DE.

>laptops with touchscreens
I bought a laptop with a touchscreen simply because the specs were amazing for the price. I just don't use the screen as a touchscreen. I got all the bells and whistles for just over $600 and couldn't be happier.

It's the way the developers' saying:
>Why aren't you fitting into the way we think you should use your computer?

I am still using it though, because it's the most widely supported environment. I just installed a couple of extensions that made it look like W10 which I kinda like.