What do you idiots have against using GNU software?

What do you idiots have against using GNU software?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/unix/comments/6gxduc/how_is_gnu_yes_so_fast/
gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Formatting.html
gist.github.com/fogus/1094067
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing. I use it everyday and it just werks

Linux is a meme for poor fag neets

I love GNU you stupid frogposter.

there must be a reason the gnu one is much bigger
right?

D E P R E C A T ED

stallman's autism

Their C-style is insanely moronic.

>For the body of the function, our recommended style looks like this:
if (x < foo (y, z))
haha = bar[4] + 5;
else
{
while (z)
{
haha += foo (z, z);
z--;
}
return ++x + bar ();
}

They've made a lot of very useful software though. Also Guix is the future of package management.

retarded not really free license
bloated, slow programs
emacs

wtf

>bloated, slow programs
reddit.com/r/unix/comments/6gxduc/how_is_gnu_yes_so_fast/

Strange, but true!

gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Formatting.html

Thank christ I have a blazing fast implementation of yes! How else could I answer "yes" to a script's prompts BILLIONS OF TIMES PER SECOND?

yes doesn't even need to be a thing.
fn yes{
while()echo y
}

It's dumping

Avoid AT&T copyright claims

>>bloated, slow programs
>reddit.com/r/unix/comments/6gxduc/how_is_gnu_yes_so_fast/
I wrote this, can confirm gnu yes is the most bloated implementation of yes

>posting on reddit
kill yourself

it has 14 fucking includes, a bunch of legal boilerplate, and totally unncessary comments

the coding style sucks
that's about it

it has more features that nobody uses most of the time

It's not just their copyleft license...
It's not just their disgusting coding style...
It's also this
gist.github.com/fogus/1094067

It doesn't work or have support

>longcat.png
I almost just shared this with a coworker, but at the last second before hitting send thought that I should scroll down the entire longcat to make sure....

dodged an HR bullet.

wrong writed user libraries

and this

Honestly how can this happen? What does the GNU version do that the others don't?

I don't have the heart to read it all myself.

>Main(argc, argv)
>int argc;
>char *argv[];
What the hell is that garbage

Underrated reply

K&R-compatible C

Thank fuck we're maintaining compatibility with compilers that haven't been updated in THIRTY YEARS

That's the old pre-ANSI C function declaration style. Back when C was defined by K&R, not actually standardized.

>>Thank fuck we're maintaining compatibility with compilers that haven't been updated in THIRTY YEARS
It's not maintaining compatibility with compilers that old. It's maintaining compatibility with code that old.

Believe it or not, there is still a lot of very old code out there being used.

Because programmers should be allowed to charge for software they spent time creating without worrying that it will just be redistributed by someone else.

Nigger, GNU doesn't pirate software.

That doesn't make sense. If GCC supports K&R style and ANSI C, that should let us compile ANSI C fine, and we're still maintaining compatibility with K&R code. That's no reason to write K&R C code *now* though.

You can sell GPL software retard.

they write good software, but GNUfags are the most annoying people. shitty, massive, not really free license in every program and always look for an opportunity to jump on their GAHNOO/linux soapbox.

I wish the default C library and compiler of linux would be changed to musl/clang so they would stfu about requiring GNU to come before Linux, because GNU is better.

Well the title GNU itself is utterly obnoxious enough to drive me away. What's the G stand for again? Fucking cringe bastards.

Same shit with WINE...

Yeah, once. The first person you distribute it too will just make it freely available.

>I wish the default C library and compiler of Linux would be changed to musl/clang
Unfortunately Linux as it is requires GCC and glibc.

Are there really people this shallow that a dumb joke offends them?

a major point of GNU is being able to redistribute software at will though

Nigger, that code is from SysV, it was written in like 1983. ANSI C didn't happen until 1989.

>Unfortunately Linux as it is requires GCC and glibc
really? why? I thought I've seen people compiling Linux even with TCC (Tiny C Compiler)

and I think there are ways to compile most glib programs using a musl libc wrapper

I love these retarded comparisons. jk

Oh good. Thank fuck no one's writing code like that now.

gcc has a lot of specific optimisations and functions specially for linux, requested by linux devs.

>>Yeah, once. The first person you distribute it too will just make it freely available.
And yet CentOS hasn't put Red Hat out of business. Hmmmmmmmmm.....

Yes. Ita not goddamned funny its obnoxious

What does GNU stand for? GNU is NOT UNIX.

What does the G stand for? GNU...

Yeah go fuck yourself count.

GNU bc is way faster too than other versions and at least useful compared to the yes.

Not YOUR software. If you don't want to license your software with a GNU license, then you don't have to. GNU isn't the reason people are pirating your software, so your complaint:

>Because programmers should be allowed to charge for software they spent time creating without worrying that it will just be redistributed by someone else.
Is senseless.

>Yes. Ita not goddamned funny
So what?

>its obnoxious
So you're just easily triggered or something? Nice reddit spacing by the way. Why don't you go back?

For the same reason they say "open source" instead of "free".

That's because Red Hat doesn't make money by selling its software, it makes money but selling a support service FOR its software.

gnu is a botnet

I'm sure you can still find some old geezer stuck in his ways that uses K&R style still.

But it's definitely not something you'd expect to encounter in any modern software.

>g nu

It's not a retarded comparison. It's a completely reasonable comparison.

I'd love to hear your defense of the GNU version's length.

They can sell it without that kind of support and some bought it too for workstations.

They sell both. You can't get a free copy of Red Hat branded linux these days.

Furthermore selling software is an obsolete business model anyway because of piracy and because you don't get repeat business. All the pros sell subscriptions to support, software, services, etc. If you're trying to make a living selling copies of software the old fashioned way, you're in for a bad time. And the demise of that obsolete business model has NOTHING to do with GNU.

Actually it's have some documentation and follow its standards. Already BTFO'd the cat of Plan9, but at least the ADHD fags can feel smug about LOC as they may think it's measures anything at this size. Sadly it isn't.

and every single thing from GNU coreutils uses this with tons of unnecessary flags and "speed" hacks that result in 8+ levels in indentation and nesting... with this code style

The GNU program has many more options than their UNIX counterparts.
Not only that, but GNU contains a lot of comments explaining what each function does, as well as a summary and a licence notice at the beginning and a lot of spaces between code and comments.
All that is discarded by the compiler and helps developers understand and find functions, so it's OK. Plus, 3 KB more in program/library size doesn't make any difference in the real world.
GNU software has been shown to be fast and reliable, everything else from Plan9/*BSD/suckless is faggotry.
Yes, because there isn't any proprietary software being distributed illegally anyway.
The real purpose of proprietary software is that the competition cannot get a hold of your product and improve it.

It's not that fast, just add output buffering. 50 loc C code with that competes with GNU version.

The GNU version has an order of magnitude more code even with the documentation stripped out.

Cat is a trivial example. Less trivial software from GNU has trivial bloat. This bloat is bad for developers. Nobody enjoys working on code like that.

how hard would it be do to a 'clean room' implementation of glibc? maybe a modified musl-libc which behaves exactly like glibc. if someone did that wouldn't it be possible to use the new one for all linux binaries without any recompilation?

>8+ levels in indentation
FAKE NEWS

You piss off count. And take that fat hobo looking bastard Stallman with you.

Ya want a real complaint about GNU? Fine here's one. Of GNU/linux (or just fucking linux as everyone else calls it) had a goddamn ounce of consistency people would use it. But no its not 1 operating system its over a hundred.

And thus is why it blows and the vast majority of people avoid it like the plague. You cannot merely download a linux program...you need the program for your specific bullshit distro. Hardware is the same fucking mess.

He'll even if it could be cut back to just a handful of distros the issue would be solved. But nobody has any power to do that.

So while sure windows and osx are like totalitarian shitholes...but linux is a fucking lawless anarchy.in the end the one thing they have in common is they both fucking suck...but at least the first two fucking work somewhat.

kek, sorry I almost got you fired

It's possible? But at that point you might as well just use glibc. Can't you link against gblic with clang?

Sup Forums is so shit, you can't tell anyone sane you have been here.

seems easier to parse

+ levels in indentation
>FAKE NEWS
it's not fake news though. Check the longcat example: EIGHT levels of indentation. Count them, EIGHT.

So you want to build a libc from scratch *with* the GNU extensions bloat, that somehow would be compatible with existing software and must be comparatively fast, and on top of that without the GNU bloat?
I would say not possible. The bloat all these fags are talking about is what makes GNU great. You could for example take some notes from rob and redesign the bloat, by abstracting repetitive code. Like he did with the dial function in plan9.

good point, figures someone would have done it by now if possible.

Maintainability of code matters. That's why ifconfig, iwconfig (already replacement), netstat route etc. need replacement on GNU systems while getting new features and compatibiity on BSD systems.

wasn't iwconfig replaced because of kernel changes? (ioctls vs netlink sockets)

>Less trivial software from GNU has SIGNIFICANT bloat.
is obviously what I meant

I'm not sure if you're just a troll or a retard from reddit.

>had a goddamn ounce of consistency
It's more consistent than Windows and basically everything else which is why most servers run it.

>You cannot merely download a linux program
Yes you can.

>Hardware is the same fucking mess
Better hardware support than anything else.

>He'll even if it could be cut back to just a handful of distros
Having choice is not a bad thing.

you don't seem to know what you're talking about
linux has "consistency", it's just that different distributions ship with different versions of libraries
you can easily package your own libraries together with your application and create a runscript that sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH=. (which is how the linux teamspeak client does things)
flatpaks/snaps will also be portable across distributions afaik
hardware support is literally only getting better and you can update the kernel on most distributions to newer stuff (backports for debian/ubuntu work for sure)

>people would use it
they do, millions use it
>You cannot merely download a linux program
haven't you heard about google play?

>What do you idiots have against using GNU software?
Nothing. If it's good enough for Apple then I guess that it's good enough for me.

>GNU haters are so fucking dumb even frogposters think they are idiots
HA HA
HAHAHAHAHAHA

>muh proprietary software
Fuck off and get mpv.

Hurr durr reddit is bad...how about youkill yourself fiest

>defending reddit ever
you have to go back

It isn't as user friendly as it could be and it's pretty bloated on average. Also a majority of the DEs are lacking basic features that would make it more user friendly, such as out of the box thumbnails in the Firefox file picker. It's great for servers but not so great for desktop use. I still use it on a bunch of my desktops, mostly Fedora with XFCE.

Hopefully Haiku OS will take over as the open source desktop OS.

instead of focusing on functionality, all they trumpet all day long is about their free license, free as in freedom, let freedom ring, give me freedom or give me death, free willie.
shut up about freedom already. nobody cares. make something that just werks and ppl will appreciate you for it.

>what is glibc, gcc, gmake or autohell

/thread

itt: Only DEs are GNU software.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as GNU,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Video games for free time.
MS Office for work.

Honestly though: We shitpost anout GNU all day long, but there is not even one single real world gnu (the animal) as a picture here floating around. And over the course of several years it hasn't been much different.

Why is that? Why no love for gnus?

Nothing, really. I use quite a bit of GNU software on the daily.

GCC doesn't care if you declare ANSI or K&R. The programmers that will read the code later are the point.