3 weeks into new programming job

>3 weeks into new programming job
>buy mechanical keyboard for use at work
>written up 2 hours in by IT for plugging in unauthorized hardware into the network
>unplug keyboard to take home at the end of the day
>some IT guy sees me walking out with keyboard that clearly didn't belong to the company (no labels on caps)
>written up by for misappropriating company property
The weird thing is they didn't try to take it, are they just looking for ways to fire me legally?

explain to the supervisor that IT department is being dumb as fuck

lol it always amazes me to see what happens to these people in companies that actually have a security policy.

why didn't you carry it out in a laptop bag or some shit?

/thread

but that way how people would know OP is a mechanical keyboard enthusiast?

>unauthorized hardware into the network
what the hell? where do you work?

Any company that has a USB security policy. I worked for the air force for a while and you aren't allowed to plug in any USB devices into a computer for any reason.

I work at a company that has their computers pretty locked down, but they only block any sort of storage USB devices, anything else works just fine.
Blocking all USB devices seems excessive

>tfw your staff just plug their phones into wherever the fuck they want to charge

I mean these machines are pretty well locked down and we're barely worth targeting at all but still.

>work at a programming job
>guy brings in a genuine IBM Model M and wires it into his Macbook with a PS/2 to USB adapter

>written up
sounds like a elementary school than a work place

Yes, this seems reasonable. I like to use my own keyboard/mice.

I guess if I would want to charge my phone I'll just use a power plug.

You aren't allowed or is it blocked? I've copied files in secret without any problems.

I work at the bank it departement and all our usb ports are locked down and you get a call if you're trying to plus some unauthorizied hardware into the comp.

Blocking all is devices is secure, and your company obviously has no standards for security

>mechanical keyboard in a work environment
I feel sorry for your colleagues

We have a policy like that too but I ignore it because I am the IT department. I just bring in a dinky little wireless keyboard I bought so I can sit more comfortably.

I've never understood why any programming/computer job makes you come in to a building in a specific place and sit in a place you don't want to be surrounded by people who don't like you or each other and equally don't want to be there.
Since the dawn of networking, all of this sort of work could be done more productively from the comforts of your own home.
Can someone explain to me why that isn't how we do this?

I can never get a fucking thing done at home. I'd just go do gardening until they realised I don't do anything and fire me. I am real bad at doing work unless I talk to other people about that work almost every day.

People have no self-discipline, they need someone to breathe down their necks in order to do anything.

I prefer having a meeting with people in person. It's easier to build a professional relationship that way.
Though most of the work can be done from a remote location. I would highly prefer that. I can control my working environment and don't have to deal with traveling to and from work. Traveling is stressing and time consuming.
I guess it's a thing from the past. Working off-site is relatively new and people don't like change.

>buy mechanical keyboard for use at work

no one wants to hear your typing. i bet all your coworkers hate you

the literal babies that work there

I worked from home and would play PoE all day and still get work done. Didn't give a shit if the company didn't like it and they have no way of knowing.

>I've copied files in secret without any problems.
Thank you, citizen.

how many dicks do you have to look at daily

Have you tried to talk to other people about that shitty keyboard? You know the shithole under your huge nose, you use for eating and as i see breathing. That's it.

Wow, I was just thinking of a keyboard-based attack. I discarded it because I figured no one would ever hire so one so stupid to fall for it. I guess I was wrong. Thank you for existing.

/this.
OP would never get the attention that she was vying for if it was done any other sane way.

A security policy is completely fucking futile. Managers don't give a flying shit about policy after all, masters of the universe and all.

Either you have physical security (ie. you can't reach them without a key or power tools) or you have security theatre.

There are some very quiet ones out there. Not every mech keyboard has to be 24/7 machine gun fire.

I have a cherry red keyboard with hardware store O-rings, they only had one kind so I bought those.
It was like $2 for a bag of rubber o gaskets and then I looked online for keyboard "o-rings" and they were priced up the ass expensive.

It's pretty quiet if you don't bottom out.
What I didn't like is how the o-rings are pretty much mandatory if you don't want your fingers to hurt when bottoming out every time.

keyboard could have a keylogger in and upload results to network when you plug it in somewhere else. You should only be allowed to use ps2 keyboards and only if you keep it in a Faraday cage and it never leaves the building

Congratulations, you seem to have discovered that different things work for different people, many people who work remotely don't like the isolation and report that they are less productive

>in person
>easier to build a relationship

Yeah but VR and teledildonics are about to change that.

That's the opposite of the way it should be. And storage should still be banned in case the 'storage' turns out to be a hidden HID

You realise that non clicky keys are just as loud as membrane, right?

It's time for you to go back to Sup Forums now

most companies frown on unauthorized USB devices and some will just outright forbid it. Surprised they didn't can you on the spot, maybe learn to use the keyboards they give you next time.

Or you could just learn to stop typing like a gorilla

>>written up 2 hours in by IT for plugging in unauthorized hardware into the network
>>unplug keyboard to take home at the end of the day
>>some IT guy sees me walking out with keyboard that clearly didn't belong to the company (no labels on caps)
>>written up by for misappropriating company property
Did you actually ever talk to your IT staff?

MarshviperX is that you?

>She

sounds like IT hates you

OP is a fag

I burn Ubuntu .isos on my work computer, using company DVDs

they hate me because I use open back headphones in the open office

So essentially you're crying because you violated company policy? Are you fucking retarded?

If I plugged any USB device into work computers I'd be rightfully fired on the spot. There are certain jobs that you're just not allowed to pull that shit. Yours happened to be one of them. Why are you posting on Sup Forums for some sort of support/sympathy?

Not allowing unapproved devices or even physically blocking ports is perfectly normal for some places with high security. Source: I worked at a place with very high security.

> working for a place that would just fire you immediately for plugging in any USB device

Pleb-tier. Get on my level: USB device policy violations at my agency result in immediate summary execution and 20 years in a labor camp for all immediate family members.

You're kind of fucked. Explain that it was your keyboard and not theirs and prove it, tell them to examine your office. Now here comes the difficult part. Most companies will fire people when they plug into USB ports, so you better have a good excuse. Oh yeah, you should tell them it was a non mechanical keyboard with low decibel output, or they'll fire you because no one wants to listen to click clack. You're not getting fired for stealing but you might get fired for breaking the USB policy. Good luck :^)

t. north korean IT technician

Most people lack discipline
Not everybody is tech-saavy with online connectivity software, even in the tech industry
If you're not present when management is there, you're essentially out of their minds
Remote work positions typically seem to work better if you're working for a small tight-knit company or start-up, and they're generally reserved for senior lead positions
Being in-person is great for those spontaneous meetings, of course it depends on your team. Many teams and management that preach this don't have that hacker culture. You can't do this with a bunch of office drones.

I've remote worked for a couple years in one of my jobs and I wasn't high up in the ladder. It was nice while it lasted, but even for me I felt the downsides. I'll take a in-person gig over a remote-work position these days and makes me appreciate working in the office.

>keyboard based attack
It's actually not unlikely or unusual. I had an infected keyboard be an issue when I was an idiot child once, leading to me do several system restores and fresh boots before I realised.

Can you even fix that? Or do you just have to throw it out and get a new one.

I'm sure it CAN be done, but I think in many cases it's not really worth it to do; what little memory is on the keyboard is for holding drivers for PnP and other features and you probably won't be able to remove any infections without making it useless, not without an unreasonable amount of effort.

In the end I just threw it.

>tfw when using superior PS/2 keyboard

>op is a anime autist trying to impress people at work but instead confusing the fuck outta them

- I don't get really anything done when I work at home
- For me (and a lot of people) I need separation of "this is where I work" and "this is where I live and play"
- It's easier to talk things out when you're near each other vs remote
- It's really hard to stay in sync with in-office folks when you're working remote

Even a lot of our remote folks end up setting up an extra office that's purely for work in their house.

are you retarded? most jobs aren't just coding clearly defined programs. you need to figure out what the fuck you are supposed to do. discussions with users, management other engineers take up a lot of time.

I work for a contractor that works with most of the branches of the US military; we can't even plug in headphones to the analog audio jack.