Why do people use Kali Linux?

Why do people use Kali Linux?
Can't you just install the same programs on any other Linux distro?

Yeah but why would you bloat your regular install with al that shit when you can just boot a distro that's already set up for you?

You could say the same of any Linux distro.

Pentesting and yes they can.
Because people that work with *nix are lazy

Kali also has patched drivers for some devices to allow for injection when the regular drivers do not. Also, why would someone choose to spend more time on setting up their pentesting environment when they could spend less?

not everyone does.
I use a stateless fedora image already preconfigured with what I want on it and virtualize it on my hypervisor whenever its needed

Nobody should be using Kali Linux as their daily driver

Isn't Kali backdoored due to the developers' ties to defence contractors and the deep state? Apparently it's fine if you're a "legitimate" pentester, but if you're blacker than that you might get v&. Is there any truth to that? Who has audited it?

>why would you use this os that comes with all the tools you need when you can manually install said tools on another os and have to deal yourself with eventual missing driver or vompatibility issues
Gee i wonder

>Can't you just install the same programs on any other Linux distro?

Well, yeah, but Kali people did it for you, so you don't have to.

pretty sure the alphabet soup audits it yearly. It hasnt failed a single audit yet.

Audits mean nothing

I am sorry but I've had a little bit too much to drink. Could you elaborate on your meaning somewhat?

Could you please explain why?

Is there nobody else suspicous of Kali?

Audits only prove that it doesn't include something that has already been proven unsafe and doesn't include something that the audit found to be unsafe. It does not include any intentional, obfuscated backdoor that didn't get found.

So that you needn't have a dual boot just for Kali?

I understand. Thank you. In your opinion (if you have one), is Kali likely to be backdoored?

Kali is designed to be used from live media. Have you actually got any knowledge in this domain or did you just read the distrowatch page?

if your daily driver OS is a baremetal hypervisor like Xen you can just virtualize it natively with zero overhead

Not him but probably no the whole system is licsend under gpl v3

I was just reading through some penetration testing stuff and was curious about it
It wouldn't hurt to have it directly installed on the drive, but why would I need to if I can install the same software under any other distro that I can use as primary OS? Then, I also forgot I could just run it as a live media, although I guess you would have to configure some things every time you boot it in that case

Is the GNU General Public Licence infallible? But maybe their ties to defence contractors and the United States government could perhaps be of a more innocent nature?

kali is literally a meme distro

half of the tools are worthless while the other half is only usabe with one specific network adapter
fucking jews man

Look you can say that they have ties with federal agency's or some other shit.
But look at the big picture Kali is used daily by a lot of skilled guys that probably would spot such backdoor while monitoring the data flow.
Yes there is a chance that such backdoor may exist bit if you ask me that chance is rather low.

Yeah. Fedora Security Labs is better anyways.

Maybe those with the skill to determine if it has any nefarious functionalities are capable also of neutralizing them before use? I really don't know and am not in any way, shape or form qualified enough to make any accusations against anyone or anything. It was the developers themselves who mentioned their ties to the government in a Kali Linux video presentation I watched some years ago. I was hoping someone here may be able to shed some light and expertise on this matter. You stepped forward and I thank you for that.

>tfw Rami Malek located the marmoset colony

Why do people care what, people they don't even know, are doing?

Unless you make a persistent live usb.

Because they're noobs, I mean it's fine for learning the tools and basics of pentest but most professional pentesters build their own systems from their favorite Linux of BSD flavor or even OSX.

Kali in professional pentest companies is nice if you need everyone on your team operating from the same base evironment.

Fuck this thread gived me a idea imagine kali with openbox and win7 ir win 10 on top of it.

Yeah sure user but you will always get the argument of convenience vs prebuild
You can't go wrong with either of those

Digital forensics and penetration testing

cause muh mr robot haccing

>cracking on your daily driver

>not wearing kelvin kleine pants on head

well you don't exactly install your kali linux on your HDD

>implying

I've been using Kali as my daily driver for the better part of two years now, it's the only distro I've used that hasn't fucked up on me once in that sort of time frame. Meme on it all you want, it's solid as a rock providing you know what the fuck you're doing.

I use Arch linux, and download any tools i need from blackarch distro, works better then KALI