/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for atheists: youtube.com/watch?v=mxAARIAXFgI

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.de/itm/Gruen-Precision-/401422688719?hash=item5d76a821cf:g:lbwAAOSwlBNZ34C7
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tried on a duality today - Dufour's finishing was, ad advertised, flawless.

first for chink shitters

how do you read the minute on this kind of watch?

?? with the minute hand? The longer hand coming out of the center.

Second for the glory of Daini Seikosha

Even in this picture the quality of the finishing leaps out at you.

$20 automatic chinese shitter I picked up for work. Keeps better time than expected, and is basically disposable.

waiting for this to come back from service

The bridge finishing is surprising in person - the grain of it seems to change direction as you turn the watch. Never seen anything like it.

> captcha: Select all images with bridges
> Not even a single picture of a watch bridge

mine was about $19 from an old watch shop across the border, it's a fun piece to wear and i love the red second hand with white dial, yours is from ali? think I've seen it before there

Like any other watch?

how much & where to cop one?

Vager Hauers Shi Chen watch, $225 on good-stuffs

They sell them all over, I got it off eBay. They can be found on Amazon also for around $40. I honestly expected total shit, but its better than I thought and I don't care if it gets wrecked at work.

Posting chink shitters.

Rolex did the right thing

on hexad bracelet today.

Thinnest waterproof mechanical watch?

Depends on how "waterproof" you mean. I'm sure you could find some 4mm thick dress watch that's essentially splash proof.

> waterproof

Watches aren't waterproof; they are water resistant to a rated pressure. You have to define the pressure, or at least the activities you want it to endure.

looking for a dress watch.

thoughts about pic related.

I don't give a shit that it's a miyota movement.

At least 100m with a screw crown. 200m preferred.

Too busy to be a dress watch. Might as well get a junghans 3 hander instead.

Maybe this - 9.55mm and 200m WR

I'm seeing this described as both 9.5mm and 9.6mm so probably also a contender (a lot rarer than the nomos obviously).

>Watches aren't waterproof

It depends on how you define "proof". Like firearm proofing, it does not necessarily mean "immune to blowing up" but that it has passed a proof test meaning it's been tested to a certain degree of resilience so you actually know it can handle the tasks it's designed for. A waterproof watch, in the true sense of the word, would mean one that's undergone real world testing to verify that it actually meets the standards it's claiming.

Rolex does actual proof testing with big pressurized water tanks for instance, so you know your Deepsea actually is capable of going to the bottom of the ocean without being crushed or getting flooded (not that you have any actual use for that, but still).

I think Vacheron Constantin does wet proof testing too.

Oh baby, chalk another one up for ISO.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about ISO, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Watch makers school, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret dives on china, and I have over 300 confirmed meters.

Get a Poljot de luxe

They make a version of that without that power reserve and an ETA movement at the same price just so you know.

I love this watch!

me too! :) my wrist is probably too thin to wear it though

How does /wt/ feel about a generic(cheap?) Japanese movement in a not too ugly case?

looks like dad's cheap watch

A cheap quartz movement in a decent case still looks like a cheap watch.
But it depends on the look yours going for.
Can look decent enough if you're going for the 50year old office guy look

Perfectly acceptable, nobody will even look at it twice.

Decorating day so wearing my shittiest of shitters.
Bonus rabbit too.

Well it's dad's friend's watch.
He died. I wasn't able to salvage the strap, but as boring as it is, I like it.

Get a nice blue perlon or black leather to vamp it up

That looks like shitty English all of a sudden.
I wasn't able to salvage the strap.
But I rather like the actual watch itself.

is that a wood grain dial? I can feel the 1970s I'd trust the zenith over the NOMOS to be honest with you. A glycine combat sub is probably your best option in terms of price to performance though, being 10.6mm, easy to get, 200m waterproof with screw down and obtainable under $1000.

this. but try to find one of the steel ones if you're patient since chrome plating is kinda shit

>nice blue perlon
Is that just going to eBay, or is there such a thing as "the good brand"?

in /fa/ they talk about DW, Here we talk about the mechanics of watches rather than solely about aesthetic

Eulit perlon.

Fuck.
My sister has this swiss dress watch. It has a small face (3cm I think) and has curved sapphire with rose gold steel body.
She wants a new strap for it, one of those steel mesh straps, but I can't remember the brand name. It's something like **el iirc, the logo looks like "ae". I need the model to know the strap size.
Pls help.

tyvm
I'll have a ganders

my dad pulls off this look perfectly with his edifice chrono (you could fucking kill someone with that thing too)

The colours are half the fun of perlons, but Eulit barely seems to sell any that aren't black or 20mm.

i had no choice but to go ebay

do you not own a ruler you fucking idiot? just measure the gap between the lugs

Did you really pay to service that piece of garbage?

I want to get a fairly cheap pilot's watch, any recommendations?

Stowa flieger
Vintage A lange & Söhne
Seagull 1963

mid size is the ideal size

tisell

For that style? Orient and Seiko both make things that are close. Tisell makes a few closer to that.

I really love how the lugs overhang.

is that a welsh giant?

> Is that a wood grain dial
Yes, though I haven't been able to photograph it well. Seller's picture, though also not great - looks better live.

fuck that's a shitter

> 36000 bph
> flyback second and minute hand reset
If you say so

i just don't like the way it looks man

Slow day today on /wt/. Anyway the watch guy on the flea market offered me a tuning-fork Universal Geneve for $70, but I passed on it since it's likely broken. I kinda feel bad about it, but at least now I won a Citizen Hisonic on Yahoo Japan.

Also ordered a brown rally for this fucker.

huh

Getting a Hamilton Khaki, 42, 40 or 38mm?

Will have steel bracelet.

The 38mm (Swatch) of course.

Auction is finishing in 20 min so pls reply fast, should I snipe this Gruen Precision for like 60€?

I accidentally fully submerged it into a bowl of guacamole.

It survived the ordeal.

> asks for auction advice and doesn't even link the auction

That's all you need to know, you want to outbid me don't you?
No problem, he only ships within Germany anyway :^)

ebay.de/itm/Gruen-Precision-/401422688719?hash=item5d76a821cf:g:lbwAAOSwlBNZ34C7

lol no one wants to outbid you on that

so it's not worth it? Saw some user shilling them a few weeks ago.

Is there anything wrong with getting a used speedy? I mean, 2k for one is a really good price and it looks amazin in imags

OK, found it user.
> 401422688719

Pretty poor condition case. No shot of the movement is a red flag. I'm not an expert but compared to the examples I can find on google images that's not the right crown. I would pass.

There's a big difference between a precision in nice condition and whatever that is.

Hm I'm not actually bidding on it, but it looked pretty acceptable to me. Too bad the case is chromed brass, already had enough of that with slavshit in the past.

Fucking kill yourself, that´s a beautiful watch you cunt.

There is a group of autistic seiko males that believe they are persecuted by a ghost and hate the swatch group.

>saying "kill yourself" because he has different taste
Isn't that a little morbid?

Where do people find their Soviet watches from? Such as poljot de luxe?

The only places I can find them are etsy and eBay.

that's literally the only places unless you want to get into sketchy russian territory. Most russian watches are liquid shit anyways.

Ebay or more rarely straight from the excomecon through contacts.
Wouldn't really buy anything from ebay since they tend to beef up the price a bit.
But yeah, they still don't go for much.

i literally just bought one 5 minutes ago on ebay

Parnis makes unrepentant knockoffs of IWC Big Pilots if you're absolutely povo.

and i am currently selling a quartz luch on ebay as well.

>Not genuinely liking vintage Omegas while shitting on the new Swatch models for the meme

Link

The fact that it is beautiful has nothing to do with whether or not it is made in China. Please comprehend this.

I bought a quartz luch on eBay!

here now you know my name and where i live congratulations.