ITT: Sup Forums Memes you don't understand

I've never had a Seagate drive fail on me

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I've never had any problems with AMD drivers

Nah, I have 3 died on me.

Everyone tells me that, but I've been using some for close to 10 years for home servers (running nearly 24/7) and never had any problems

I've never used my trackpoint.

>Single digits sample sizes are good enough for me
This is how stupid you are

I have about 20 something (5 of which I've been using for nearly 10 years)

2 died on me, weeks apart.
In fact, of all 15 HDD's I own, only those 2 Seagates have died. I didn't use them any differently than I did my normal ones.

Seagate really did have a bad batch of 3TB drives during a certain period of time. I believe the failure rate was something as high as 12% as opposed to the usual 1%.

I actually quite like the new thinkpad keyboards.

No numpad, really?

Why the fuck do you want a numpad on anything less than a 17"

Why the fuck do you want a laptop without numpad?

>numpad
Sorry for your fucked up spine. I'd like my laptop to have a centered keyboard you fucking pleb

I like a comfortable keyboard in a portable form factor.

i get told they die all the time also. but have never had one die ever. (hope i don't jinx my self.).. i have had lots of other brands die on my but even my 15 year old seagate still works fine.
I guess its just luck?
but now i just use SSD drives for all my new systems. so i have not used a newer seagate other then the 2tb i put in my PS4 in years.

Seagate HDs only work on servers for me, it's weird.

>LE QBITTORRENT STALLED MEME
installed that shit on dozens of machines, never happened to me, not even once

That's not nearly enough or better. Look up studies.

Ive never had a hard drive fail on me

im literally looking at a pile of seagate 2tb drives that failed suddenly and caused my friends an i a lot of pain

never again, i wouldnt even use if it was given to me for free

>I've never had a Seagate drive fail on me
Me neither, but I only buy their enterprise quality drives. Hell, come to think of it, I've never had any brand of drive die on me.

>is ________ worth it, or is it just a meme?

One just died on me, kinda sucks, anyone have a better replacement that won't suddenly die on me?

>memes I don't understand
Well there are a few,
>macOS being bad (on the desktop side)
>mechanical Keyboards,
>cheap disposable chinese hardware that you buy repeatedly rather than a proper piece that lasts longer.
but that's about it famalam

Yeah, it's a bigtime memerino based on that Backblaze company saying a lot of their shucked external drives died. And all from one production run. And even their data show Seagate outperforming WD and other competitors in subsequent years.

Then you've got morons like telling you to look up studies as if there's anything other than the memetown Backblaze data. Fucking lol. Yeah man, show me those independent peer-review studies about HDD lifespan, please?

Had a Seagate die on me, had a wd die on me. Maxtor drive going strong for like 15 years.

My only Seagate drive that died was a 1TB external that my cat knocked off the table while it was writing. The only Brand of drives I've had issues with are Toshibas. Just absolute garbage.

>posting transphobic memes on a turkmenistani goat husbandry forum that's 57% girls with penises

Are those pre-flood drives? The floods seem to have been the turning point.

I believed the meme that seagate is good
then i bought one
and it died after like a month

I have a WD from FUCKING 2008

Because of that fuck up they made a few years ago. The one Seagate drive I bought failed on me, and out of the 8 WD ones none have failed so far. I was given a failing WD drive though, I suspect it was dropped.

>calling transtrenders out for being attention whores is "*phobia"
>every man in a dress on this board feels the need to post their gnarly man feet wearing weeb socks made for teen age girls.

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

Same. Never had a problem. Last few years AMD drivers have been pretty damn good.

kay

why

es

i have never used my touchpad

to be fair i've never actually had a hard drive die on me besides samsung

nb ain't real hon

zotac is fucking excellent
gigabyte makes horrible motherboards and GPUs

>vpn adds internet privacy

Exactly how does diverting all of my traffic through a third party server protect my privacy? If anything it seems like I'm directly handing all of my data over.

I have a 160GB seagate from an HP computer that I had over 10 years ago that I still use for my Windows install

>falling for the WD meme
>not using HGST

Never had a WD black die on me. But I'm using a 750GB Seagate as a coaster right now.

Keeping your hard drives cool is counterproductive.

vpns are for going over untrusted networks
if i'm going to contact my home computers from a foreign network, i'm going through a third party tunnel so that my network information is never known about to the foreign one

Shills shill against AMD and Seagate because they are cheaper and are superior to their competitors

Have you only ever used Nvidia?

>I've never had a Seagate drive fail on me, YET.
ftfy

they're shit, the only seagate that's not trash is the latest barracuda series

Me too, Anonymous. I've never had my Seagate® Hard disk drive fail on me!

same
i have a drawer full of HDDs.
ranging from 30GB to 500GB.
1.8", 2.5" 3.5"

i've been using a 320GB WD drive for the past 8 years. (it was probably in the drawer for a few years)

09 Power-On Hours (POH) 238d 0h

Sup Forums is not a good board for discussing Technology.

I got 6 WD fail on me

On the contrary.
I picked up a GTX 980Ti recently, and I've had nothing but trouble from its drivers.

Seagate isn't the meme, it's WD

mine failed after 8 years
Sup Forums is always right

so are you VPN'ing into your home network with a 3rd party VPN?

What did you use your drive for?
I read so many people complaining about drive failures, are you guys using them for something non-normie? How likely is a drive to fail if you literally just use it to store pictures and videos?

Same. I've used AMD devices for over a decade and the only issue I've ever had is one of the GPUs dying and it being immediately replaced under warranty.

you sound like my friend who refused to buy the cheaper external HDD because the more expensive HDD said it was compatible with windows and apple.

It has a numpad, you use Fn to use it. As it should be on a laptop.

The entire RAID5 will die meme is awful.

Our company standardised on 12-disk RAID5 arrays a good 10 years back. I must have deployed over a hundred of them and usually have about 20 running at any given time. The current round are using 6TB drives.

If you believe the maths people post, I'm looking at a five nine likelyhood of a data loss event.

It's never happened, and I don't believe I'm that lucky.

I've been using AMD (ATi) graphics cards in my desktop for about 10 years and I had 1 fucked up driver. The AMD relive drivers completely fucked my R9 380 until about 6 months of patches later and I had to use old drivers the whole time.

Meanwhile every one of my laptops has been Nvidia and I couldn't even begin to count the amount of fuckups from drivers I've had with those. Most recently my 960m would crash my entire laptop if I played CS:GO, GTA V, Fallout 4, MechWarrior online, or Fable TLC. Had issues for a solid 4 months and then one random update and it all stopped. And another driver update last year that locked my card at 100mhz if I didn't have graphics switching disabled

This is why Seagate's known for drive failures

This
Seagate is really good in my experience, had a bunch of WD die on me, all seagate are still working fine

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

Had some minor issues with them, but I had more issues back when I was using nvidia

Whenever I bought external HDDs I just got the cheapest price to space deal. Not even write speed is relevant to me because as I said I just store pictures and videos in them but it would still suck if they failed.

It's funny seeing retards become emotionally attached to a brand and argue why it's better and why you should buy it based on nothing but anecdotes. Some kid buys X branded product and has problems with it so he swears on his virginity to never buy said brand again because it clearly means all products produced under that brand forever will also have problems. Anyone with half a brain will just buy whatever is best value for money at the time.

This also, and I still have have seagate drives from 2003
I also had portable wd (wd black 1tb) die, a lot of goid anime was on it

>Meanwhile every one of my laptops has been Nvidia and I couldn't even begin to count the amount of fuckups from drivers I've had with those.

Every once in a while a faux like you shows up who *never* has issues with AMD claptrap, but *amazingly* can't get A-grade Nvidia/Intel to work. Get out lmao.

You are retarded, you dont need to use third party tunnel, just setup a vpn on your machine and connect to it from untrusted network. Thats what vpns are for.

Is this the company that compared 20 hdds to 3000?

There used to be a bug with optimus cards and later just plain M (mobile) cards. Switching for some/most programs would get disabled/set to integrated after updating drivers. This is ofcourse easily fixable but it was a common bug and most normies didnt even realise the bug was there. I know someone who had optimus laptop and for first two years had optimus disabled

> compared
They warn you against direct comparison ; moreover, it's a report, not a review.

I never had any problem with Creative drivers when I went Vista/W7 x64 after using XP32-bit on my X-Fi Platinum CE

I never had a Seagate drive that works perfectly

Makes sense desu. Cold hardware is more rigid and fragile.

No, operating devices further from their nominal conditions leads to more wear.
HDD's are designed for operation around 35-45'c, as that is the most common temperature within their enclosure. As you go further outside that optimal range, you would expect higher failure rates.

I would expect lower failure rates in cold temperatures in general, because less heat -> less wear -> less failure. You would need different lubricants designed specifically for those temperatures, but it would be a more ideal situation. The main reason that drives fail at lower temperatures is because the spindle lubricants is more viscous, and can't do its job as efficiently as it's nominal temperature range.

I have 2 ancient seagate and the only issue is their digestive sound from them.

Oil viscosity is affected by temperature, if it's too cold it's too thick to lubricate as well

I also never had a Seagate fail at home
At work the only dives that fail are Seagate HDDs and Intel SSDs. (and some WD HDDs from servers, but that's expected considering the wear on those)

Do commercial severs like iCloud run on HDDs? If failures happen at about 1%-5%, how come we never hear of people losing their cloud files due to server failures, or companies who have emails from gsuite, outlook etc experiencing the same problem? Are the HDDs used by those providers fail-proof, do they duplicate everything?

They replicate multiple times over many different locations.

just buy maxtor drives. they never fail.

Nvidia is the only thing to give me issues. AMD runs great

>radeon settings
>everything is laggy
>application is unnecessarily transparent
>crashes every time I try to close it
>turning off monitors will kill eyefinity groups

What the fuck do you guys needso many hard drives for? I have had a WD Black 4TB since 2014, that’s more than anyone will ever need.

>BUT MUH BR RIP COLLECTION

Just download from iptorrents and trash it once you’re done. In fact, the only reason I have 4TB to begin with is so I can seed 2 popular torrents that are over 1TB each; that way I currently have ~11TB upload credit on iptorrents.

>"Linux has good open source AMD drivers"
>try it
>get 20 fps on medium settings while windows gets 300fps on highest settings
Whew. So good. I bet my PC would run better if I just removed the GPU.

Same. My WD green is almost a decade old.

>and trash it when you're done
Fuck that, I'm not going to repetitively download things I can store locally.

>What the fuck do you guys needso many hard drives for?
because if I delete something I may not be able to retreive it again

Still better than nVidia control panel.

Believe it or not but the bar for good GPU linux drivers is so low they are actually good linux drivers

Only issue I've had with AMD drivers was the 150mhz memory speed issue (fixed now). Even when I was using a 4870. Other than that, sweet as

nVidia performs as good on Linux as it does on windows.

Only bought one Seagate drive before and it was broken right out of the box.

>systemd hate
shittiest meme ever
>Thinkpad love
They are nothing special
>watch threads
Go to >>/fa/ you literal homosexuals

>things working for me shouldn't be good enough for me
Consider drinking bleach.

If you use vim or into dev in general, NEED numpad, so useful

Seeding anime

>AMD/Nvidia is the worst combo