Who else is hyped for 10-core Psion Gemini Linux PDA/Smartphone?

Who else is hyped for 10-core Psion Gemini Linux PDA/Smartphone?

indiegogo.com/projects/gemini-pda-android-linux-keyboard-mobile-device-phone

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPD_Win
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3310_(2017)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I was interested to use this as a phone, until i saw the design, yes, it's nice, but it doesn't really function as a phone.
Everytime i got a call, i'm supposed to open it and talk to it as opposed to put it on my ear.

And more so, this design, doesn't seem really productive(atleast for the Phone area)

Fucking meme keyboards.

It's basically the same thing as the GPD win

>indiegogo
Scam

Huge amount of screen space wasted by bezels
Tiny keyboard
The keyboard can't be folded around so you can actually hold it to your face to make calls
Probably a lot more expensive then just attaching a keyboard and screen to a rasberry pi
Don't think that thing can run linux.

Get a dumphone with a 1 month battery life for calling and a smart device for web. I did that and it's a Patrician combo.

>id that and it's a Patrician combo.
Yes, but the thing is, what if i see a "cute thing" and want to send that to my friend?
Or what if i wanna send my cocc pics to my various gfs?

>Don't think that thing can run linux.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GPD_Win

this thing was a total scam, the gpd guys even do providing a mediocre PDA they had a track record of delivering good products. This guys haven't even delivered a functioning device for showcase.
You better of sending an email to xiaomi and asking them for a PDA

Use email like normal people do.

Software will make or break this thing. If it runs stock Debian, great. If it's a choice between barely 2 years of Android support and a hacked together non-free Linux distro, then it goes on the scrapheap with all the other similar devices before it.

>This guys haven't even delivered a functioning device for showcase.
This is fucking Psion, kid.
They have a good track record from the past.

Videos suggest that they actually have the prototypes working at this point.

Can't argue with GPD shills.

It's not Psion though, it's some startup
What#s the connection?

>Arch
I don't want that shit. Can you install a debian derivative?

By "normal" you mean "not-normal"? Cause let's be serious, we are tech, my gfs aren't , they don't even know what their email is, they keep asking me
>Haha you mean my gmail? Who uses that? I don't even know mine. Haha hit me up on whatsapp(that is the most used in my country) silly!

Tell your gf to get a real job and she will start using email.

>Or what if i wanna send my cocc pics to my various gfs?
fax it

Is your girlfriend a NEET? Never heard of a college or real job that doesn't require you to use email.

Don't know as I don't have the device, but the GPD pocket has an option with preinstalled ubuntu

Don't be silly user. An intelligent woman would cause troubles!
I'm sticking to my Stacies.

That's why i said GFS, cause they use groups and whatsnot...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3310_(2017)

has a 2mp camera for moeshit and sending diccpiccs to your waifu

the recent video update shows how they boot the thing into debian 9. though they don't have a clit mouse so you have to touch the screen for mouse clicks ... which wouldn't bother me because i3 master race. though normies who need their mouse will be disappoint.

I think I'll buy one as soon as it's available. Not going to give them money now because crowdfunding is more often a scam than it's not

Evolveo toughphones are pretty good at lasting forever on one charge.

Still, is not that, what about listening to music, making nice pictures of her cooter(to see later).
Well, what "mini pc" or device allows me to have nice pics, nice audio, let's me use all the messaging apps my GFS use, and the less pupular ones like those couple apps, that when you both touch the screen it vibrates?

I put my cocc on the phone and she her cooter so it vibrates and we can get nice.

iirc they designed the psions for psion. the tech was then handled by psion chinks

>Videos suggest that they actually have the prototypes working at this point.
ye a fucking promo video edited that's everything they have, they baited you using the oldest trick ever out there, using a fucking advertisement company to deliver a credible advert, nothing more. I also saw them on a convention and they showed up with a 3D printed dummy case with that keyboard slapped on top, if you research a bit you will find that the keyboard is probably striped down from an old PDA and glued on top.
> he look we are another startup that no one knows that invested a lot of money into a fucking cool video but there's no actual physical devices to deliver or even designed besides a fucking 3D printed case that a dumb idiot can build with a 3D aliexpress printed
fucking morons

iirc psion was a british company and they even manufactured the hardware themselves

>whatsapp
I always start ranting about jewish botnets whenever people try to get me on that shit. If you want something send me an email. No, don't call, don't IM - just an email.

Don't mention your normalfag life on this website

isn't chink the word for "people who produce hardware"?

I suppose you must have a lot of females around you.
Don't you, user?

enjoy being a virgin

If they could only get it working using a bunch of binary blobs and a kernel with a load of non-free patches, that's a problem. We'll see though.

quiet a few but I disregard their opinion on everything because I don't want to have """"discussions"""" with mentally 12yolds.

Bluetooth hands free?

They're not all doctored videos you paranoid mong.

>women use whatsapp
only in your country, india, pajeet.

yeah, I guess being a beta whiteknight is a magnet for pussy. pls teach me your ways of showing interest in roasties and being an understanding beta orbiter xD

I don't like those, i mean, ok, i may be an adult, but sometime i like to "run" or "jump on a three to impress my gfs"
>GFS calling me, i'm deep inside another gf
>w-where did i put that earpice
>later i find it
>Hey a-user you didn't answer so i started menstruating

That's a good thing, menstruation = no baby

Make photos and listen to music using your smart device. Why are you paying for sending MMS using phone line instead of sending them for free over the internet? Are you retarded?

Pretty cool!

ARM or x86?

10 core arm.

Yes, but like i was saying. What smart device allow me to take good pictures(usually there are no laptops with back-camera), and also, portability.
Carrying 1 device, insthead of 2.
And how about the second device, tiny or big? There is no point in having a little not-smartphone and a 19"inch laptop. If i want to do something, i'll stay at home, or better. Go to the Library pc.

Are you one of those guys that goes to Starbucks to "write code"?

>MOAR CORES
Please tell me what kind of parallelism do you need to run a fucking PDA?

>Are you one of those guys that goes to Starbucks to "write code"?
I'm a Linux Admin. I need a potato with a decent keyboard and ssh connection wherever I am.

You can turn off cores to save power. Plus you can have weak cores dedicated to always on background services. All mobile octa-cores do that.

Well, why carry a potato, when you can get a bluetooth keyboard? You can SSH from Android.
If you are into GUIs there is even VLC, and it sure runs better than an INTEL ATOM.

MMS is free on basically every plan here, meanwhile we get raped on data

a keyboard that small might as well not be there tb.h touch keyboards have come a long way and using one on a 5.5"+ phone can be extremely fast plus you have tons of options as far as different layouts, predictive text, glide typing etc etc

that little hardware keyboard is not making it a better phone, in fact it's making it worse

the only thing it is actually good for is looking muh aesthetic in marketing shots but after using a keyboard that small for any length of time you will realize why they basically don't exist anymore

Exactly what i tought, It would have been better it had dual displays, like one on the front, and a second one inside.

This way it's just a "it's not a pc, it's not a smartphone, it only knows what it isn't"(Balto)

The main (only?) advantage of that keyboard will be when using it with desktop Linux.

I carry around a 11,6 inch thinkpad

The Linux side will undoubtedly be half-assed and basically just a regular desktop version running on a tiny screen just like the Pyra, and with no actual mouse on top of it, it will be trash to use.

So if we purely look at the Android side, which seems to be the one people actually care about, it might be nice as long as they put some actual effort into it. A lot of these projects focus too much on just the hardware, when the key to making a device like this appealing to anyone outside of nostalgic UMPCtards is to have a software environment that actually feels like it was made for the device, whether that's just the design or pre-loaded optimized applications such as a PIM suite, mail client, etc.

The keyboard is fucking retarded, it hides commonly used things like brackets behind function keys so the autistic hello-world writing hipsters who really need to "code on the go" probably won't be pleased after they spend whatever god awful inflated amount of money they're going to charge on this.

I'd be more excited if it turned out to be anything but another half-assed or vaporware kikestarter grab, but that likely reality coupled with obnoxious UMPCtards that won't shut the fuck up about it before we even know anything really put the damper on that.

I wanna fuck it

Yes

>The Linux side will undoubtedly be half-assed and basically just a regular desktop version running on a tiny screen just like the Pyra, and with no actual mouse on top of it, it will be trash to use.
Both the Pandora and the Pyra have multiple options: XFCE, Minimenu and Openbox.
Minimenu is optimized for UMPC use but most users prefer regular XFCE anyways. Go figure.

>with no actual mouse on top of it
Also what the fuck are you rambling on about. The analog sticks are being used as a Mouse in the Pandora, Pyra and even GPD Win. It's way more usable than a touchpad, albeit worse than a proper trackpoint.

I'm hyped

i'm ordering one as soon as it is available

>this piece of shit again
look at that fucking ugly ass hinge thing
bitch is gonna break in a week

also it has only one camera and it's shit, and as another user said it has to be opened to use the phone

it is shit

No one uses email grandpa