BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, OPNsense, FreeNAS, etc.

Join IRC:
#baot @ irc.rizon.net
#freebsd,#openbsd,#netbsd @ irc.freenode.net

Documentation:
freebsd.org/handbook
openbsd.org/faq
netbsd.org/docs

Curious Linux user? Ask questions, get answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

sivers.org/openbsd
cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-mounting-usb-flash-drive-harddisk/
openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#Scrollback
man.openbsd.org/wskbd.4
man.openbsd.org/wsdisplay.4
libertybsd.net/
blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/llvm_clang_and_compiler_rt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

why can't ksh handle terminal resizing as well as bash (╭╮)

>Other Things
cuck things, by any chance?

Reminder for people trying BSD in a VM: the virtio NIC drivers need checksum offload disabled on NetBSD, OpenBSD, and DragonFly BSD at the moment due to a bug.

wot

what? i did something autistic once and wrote a system status thing and i wanted the terminal to be 1 pixel tall to serve as a bar

i could resize it as much as i want and it never broke

Been out of the loop for a moment, does Linux devs still steal drivers from BSD? Like the old 90's days up until madwifi I knew they would always steal.

can i please have some real reasons why i would switch from linux to bsd?(not bait)

OP Can you give me your point about use BSD?
For programming develp?

sivers.org/openbsd

well the only thing it keeps focusing on is that its secure a reliable but what I use is already both of those things. my os is already reliable and secure it even says the devs dont focus on making it do more so why the hell would I switch

Open terminal, find some file/dir that gets fully tab-completed, resize terminal, hit tab. Completion goes to new line. Some column-based outputs don't work etc. Need to run clear to notify ksh that dimensions have changed.

I'll check that.
Danke Henri.

ok

shit, can't even answer to right person

Will the graphics drivers get updated anytime soon on freebsd?

doesnt look a priority

>up until madwifi

Holy shit. That's a project name I haven't heard for the better part of a decade. Can't believe its been that long.

New idiot here, interested in bsd but dont really understand. can someone give me a rundown on why/when you should use bsd over linux?

Not OP, but the BSDs are great for programming in C.

>need to run clear
Actually, you only need to hit enter to let ksh know the dimensions have changed. That's why you change your terminal size before doing anything, not after doing anything. Then you hit enter. Then it's usable.

Personal preference. Mostly related to whether you prefer Unix or GNU software, and whether you prefer the Unix philosophy or GNU philosophy.
I use OpenBSD since it's easy, and the default install comes with a lot of stuff I need that doesn't come in most GNU/Linux distros: cc, yacc, lex, make, useful man pages. At the same time, while OpenBSD comes with more useful stuff than most GNU/Linux distributions, OpenBSD fits on a CD. Not a DVD, but a CD. All while having more of what I need.

Is Solaris considered BSD?

Solaris is the antithesis to BSD.
SunOS was BSD.

That takes only a second to find out, but no. It's a System V Unix, with BSD utils available until Solaris 11.
>Removed Xsun, CDE,[70] and the /usr/ucb BSD-compatible commands

Huh, Linux doesn't have this problem. Hmmm.

>SunOS was BSD.
This is what confused me.

>Solaris is the antithesis to BSD.
Can you elaborate on this a bit?

I installed OpenBSD today on my x220 next to Gentoo.
I've yet to set everything up and read some doc / man pages.
Here are my impressions/experiences so far.

The installation was quick and easy.
Using non-GNU coreutils is a bit strange (not as many features).
I have yet to figure out which device files correspond to which MBR partitions / disklabels (there's a LOT of stuff in /dev and I have no idea which one corresponds to my 3rd MBR partition that I formated in ext2 specifically to be shared between Gentoo and OpenBSD for example).
The thinklight works, but the brightness keys don't.
The volume key presses seem to be caught by the kernel, which is nice.
I have no idea how to check the battery level.
Scrolling through man pages in the tty seems a bit sluggish.
Ctrl+l doesn't work (hopefully it can be set up in a GNU readline equivalent).
Shift+PgUp/PgDn don't work for scrolling in the tty.
The font in the tty is very nice though.

You want to use disklabel to check what partition is what. This is also useful when you plug in a flash drive. dmesg and fdisk are handy too.

also, wait until you get into real devices vs virtual devices ie rsd1i vs sd1i. That'll really blow your mind.

>Can you elaborate on this a bit?
Solaris was the project created when Sun was majority owned by ATT. ATT had SysV (system 5) and they used Sun to switch the industry to standardize from BSD (sunos) to System 5 Unix (Solaris).

Read the wikipedia on The Unix Wars.

Also by using dmesg, you can have fun reading the man pages of the various drivers it detects.

`disklabel sd0` gives me the list of OpenBSD partitions, from a to m and `fdisk sd0` prints the list of MBR partitions, but how do I know which one corresponds to which device file?
If I want to mount my ext2 partition (# 2, id 83), what device file do I use as an argument?

Solaris is dead.

is the ext2 partition on the same disk? i believe it should show up in disklabel too but i'm not sure

see the letters on the left of the disklabel output? that's your letter, and i believe you want to mount the raw device (the one that starts with r)

Why does the BSD fish have nig lips?

cyberciti.biz/faq/openbsd-mounting-usb-flash-drive-harddisk/

take a look at this article.

It was opensourced and forked. It will never die.

Yeah, it does show up, I missed it for some reason.
I successfully mounted it.

How can you steal drivers under a free license? Isn't that the point of free software? To further the community? Oh, and pardon me if I'm missing something critical. There doesn't seem to be anything pertaining to madwifi online that seems relevant. If I'm wrong, please fill me in.

>There doesn't seem to be anything pertaining to madwifi online

Do you not know how to search?

As OpenIndiana.

You mean Puffers? He's OpenBSD's mascot, and, yes, he has delicious, succulent niggerlips, perfect for some high quality succ time.

>nig lips
they are fish lips. you know, like Jimmy Carter

I guess I don't.

yup you don't. Might try going to your local library and ask for help.

openbsd.org/faq/faq7.html#Scrollback
>Due to space limitations, the install kernels do not have this feature.
How does kernel configuration work on OpenBSD?
Do you edit a file or is there a nice TUI with descriptions of most settings like there is for Linux?

Will do, user. Thanks for the advice.

You edit a text file, but I think it's much nicer than the Linux .config file.

This is not recommended by the way, you will not get any support from the devs if you do this.

Also, install kernels = the ramdisk image used to install the OS. You shouldn't have to recompile OpenBSD to include that feature.

I just want to enable the scrollback buffer and remove drivers I don't need.

You don't have to recompile just to disable drivers either. Look up config(8).

>The instructions below will not work on modern graphics hardware that uses the drm(4) driver.
If you have the nice Sun font and not the IBM PC font, you have the drm driver.
man.openbsd.org/wskbd.4
man.openbsd.org/wsdisplay.4

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Also, you may ant to avoid being on the first virtual terminal. ctrl-alt-f3 to use a truly virtual one.

Or alternatively he could modify /etc/ttys.

Why? It can be useful to check up on the actual system console sometimes.

I'll look into those.

True, but those messages wind up in dmesg anyway. That, and you could always run xconsole I suppose.

>truly virtual one
What does that mean?

xconsole only works if you start X from the first (number 0) terminal.

>nig lips
Yikes, racist much?

Not the one system console messages will get printed on.

sheeeeeeeit

Do I need to install wifi drivers manually?

BSD has no drivers

Get a second hard drive, install to it, and find out. Generally, no.

>BSD has no drivers
That were not stolen by Linux devs.

depends. on my old thinkpad I did. just make sure you have a hardline ethernet available. after that a fw_update should fetch them.

>stolen
Err, but that violates the GPL, no?

it violates BSD 4 clause.

The virgin GPL vs the chad BSD

Should I bother with FreeBSD if I care about software freedom and ethics or just use use OpenBSD?

install netbsd

They're both free software. But check this out too:
libertybsd.net/

daily reminder to all that you should filter libertybsd

Why NetBSD and not OpenBSD?

netbsd is the only true bsd

LibertyBSD's sole purpose is to sate people who don't have the know how to avoid nonfree software themselves. The alternative would be explaining to them how dim they are over and over again to no avail.

Why?
Elaborate on that.

because its author is an obnoxious shill

Post your BSD desktops

Convince me to use it

I can get behind this. NetBSD is awesome for research. IPv6 was developed using netbsd.

>filter
>being so weak, you get triggered by words and need censorship

i obviously didn't filter it since i could respond to the post

You can make any BSD look like any GNU/Linux, what's the point?

How is NetBSD better than OpenBSD?

Rump kernel if you're a driver/kernel developer. Next release will also have Nouveau driver, unlike OpenBSD.
I myself use OpenBSD though.

NetBSD is more portable than OpenBSD

N'aww, they're both portable. They just produce binaries for different hardware now.

Why? Does it have more drivers? If so, why not port them to OpenBSD?

netbsd supports obscure little known hardware architectures

*most of which only run on VMs and are barely supported

DELET

Get lost shill

At least OpenBSD can compile itself on the architectures it supports. Even on VAX when it supported that.

Is it still a total pain in the ass/impossible to mount a USB? BSD, steadily punting on easy solutions.

you didn't read the thread

blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/llvm_clang_and_compiler_rt