Why don't you have your drives encrypted?

Why don't you have your drives encrypted?

There's literally no excuse for them not to be in this day and age

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/6891/hardware-accelerated-bitlocker-encryption-microsoft-windows-8-edrive-investigated-with-crucial-m500
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

unless you want a machine to be able to come up without someone at the console to punch in a password.

And anyway, if someone physically taking the machine isn't in your threat model, disk encryption doesn't really get you anything.

Why is OP such a faggot?

There's literally no excuse for him being one in this day and age

>in the current year
solid shitpost, sage

Cucks

encrypt my phone & work laptop
i don't encrypt my game pc since nothing secret nor illegal in there

It slows my system down.

Makes it look like you're hiding something bad. Rather not leave that taste in my peers minds.

I'm not a terrorist, drug dealer, or pedophile. Also if my laptop breaks I can still rip out the disk and recover my data on another computer.

My computer is not at risk of theft or seizure by authorities, why should I bother?

that would mean that i have to remember multiple long and hard to remember passwords that are required every time the system is booted and lost data if i forget the passwords.

ITT Cucks who don't care if someone steals their data and have to take their time and care in wiping/destroying old drives

If you have nothing to hide it's a waste of time.
If you do have something to hide it's a placebo at best.

>encrypted my harddrive
>kernel isn't encrypted or authenticated, keylogger in kernel can rekt me
>encrypted my kernel using GRUB plugin because apparently simple bootloader is a thing of a past, kelogger in GRUB can rekt me
>GRUB not encrypted
>put GRUB on separate drive, plugging USB everytime II wan't to boot
>anyone can just wipe my drive when stolen
>set password on BIOS
>hardware keylogger (or camera or whatever) can still rekt me
Now I need to plug USB drive and enter 3 passwords to use my computer. Literally why.

I only encrypt my laptop drives

Because I don't keep illegal crap like cp and bomb schematics and I don't live in a fucking police country so there is no reason for the extra trouble.

Why do you have passwords for email/social media/anything?

WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE?!?

IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE THEN DONT USE PASSWORDS AT ALL FOR ANYTHING

This is what Sup Forums has become. If it was not for the rare gems I'd leave you guys for the alternatives.

B-but they are, user-kun

good idea, fuck off little luddite

FDE is dumb imo, especially on a machine that's not being moved around. Selective encryption is far better.

>encrypting your drives because the bitlocker icon looks cool

thanks for the reminder, i still need to do it. but it takes so much time. ಠ_ಠ

My Iphone does this for me automatically. ;)

FOSSTARDS BTFO ONCE AGAIN!!!

only thing keeping me from it is me not entirely understanding the consequences of bit flips due to e.g cosmic rays potentially making the entire thing irrecoverable

what are the alternatives? seriously

But I do

Support for hardware encryption is still very weak.
The tech is there, but manufacturers don't seem to care much.

I don't want to use software encryption because it's fucking retarded and it's the current year already.

The default encryption for SD cards on android is complete cancer, I 'encrypted' an SD card on one device with a 17 character long password, entered the SD card into another Android device and was able to access all files on the card without any password. I've heard Veracrypt is supposed to be ok but don't think they allow SD cards to be used, only HDD and USB.

This is what I've found to be true, its not worth bothering with an attempt to secure yourself as it will never be 100% complete

No. It uses plain dmcrypt with aes-cbc-essiv:sha256 with 128bit key. It's almost impossible to decrypt today and for coming 20 years.

What is your phone and your OS?

You either fucked up somewhere or there was a bug. Usually it works.

But encrypting SD cards is a bit questionable, because it's done in software, so performance will suffer.

The problem is that Android is a huge faggot and you can't stop it from writing to the SD card all the time.

Its an old piece of shit running a rooted version of lolipop, If I was to do the same process but in reverse (encrypting on a non rooted device and testing access on the rooted one) then I imagine the same result would happen.

99% of encryption in 2017 is done via software

I don't have important information on mine drives, therefore I don't encrypt the drives.

This confirms you are retarded and probably doing something wrong. "root" has nothing to do with sd card.

Also, android doesn't have a way to encrypt sd card except in adopted storage mode. So you are probably using a stock os, and the manufacturer implamented the sd card encryption and they did it wrong.

>99% of encryption in 2017 is done via software
You wrote it wrong.
99% of encryption in 2017 is done via hardware.

I don't own a liberooted thinkpad with gentoo, so I must be retarded. Lol. In that case all I can try is to encrypt it off another device.

~ Retard.

Look who's retarded...

I don't know how it's done on phones for built-in storage (SD cards = always software), but on PCs it's mostly software.
Many new SSDs actually have hardware encryption enabled by default, but the problem is how to access and manage the encryption keys. Bitlocker doesn't always work with that.

You are securing the data, securing the machine is another issue completely (physically or remotely).

>Support for hardware encryption is still very weak.
in Linux, I guess

My data is of high value and irreplaceable, my laptop can be replaced easily and my insurance covers against theft.

>but on PCs it's mostly software.
Except its not. Almost all the new CPUs have aes acceleration, even my phone has it. And its fast. My shitty old laptop encrypts about 1GB/sec.

nigga look up aes instruction set, in just about all modern processors

Even in Windows. This was a few years ago, but I doubt that much has changed:
anandtech.com/show/6891/hardware-accelerated-bitlocker-encryption-microsoft-windows-8-edrive-investigated-with-crucial-m500
There's a better article elsewhere, but basically you need several conditions for this to just werk.

That's all software, dummy.

PBKDF2-sha1 601938 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-sha256 690761 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-sha512 543303 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-ripemd160 455111 iterations per second for 256-bit key
PBKDF2-whirlpool 326455 iterations per second for 256-bit key
# Algorithm | Key | Encryption | Decryption
aes-cbc 128b 308,4 MiB/s 1314,8 MiB/s
serpent-cbc 128b 36,9 MiB/s 261,4 MiB/s
twofish-cbc 128b 82,7 MiB/s 165,9 MiB/s
aes-cbc 256b 228,3 MiB/s 1007,3 MiB/s
serpent-cbc 256b 40,3 MiB/s 261,9 MiB/s