What went wrong?

What went wrong?

I'll use mine until it dies.

Nobody developed third party apps for it

Too late to the game to get established as a player.

ugly, outdated looking UI and literally no apps

no upgrade path from wp7 to wp8 kills the loyal userbase

MS is fucking stupid.

>best mobile UI ever
>"ugly, outdated looking"

>>best mobile UI ever
>>"ugly, outdated looking"

this is not true

it looked like something out of a Marvel movie but to use it was dog shit and didn't work well.

Everything being a billboard made it look like shit if you ever kept any third party apps on your home screen.

t. non WP user

Microsoft missed the chance to start up the UMPC hype train.

A PDA with a 5.5" screen, precision stylus, and desktop windows OS would have sold like hot cakes.

But instead of thag microsoft wanted to be a special snowflake and made a mobile OS that makes iOS look good.

SJWs ruined it. MS hired too many brown people, transgender and females.

people were wrong since apps are useless, and MS came too late, but productwise they did everything right 2bh

The only way to save Windows Phone is to introduce compatibility for Android Applications (which I believe is in the works) and then provide features that Android and iOS lack.

There were Microsoft PDAs. I remember that my father used one.

Why didn't they try to appeal to enterprise customers?

Quite stupid of Microsoft to release a OS so late into the game to compete against Android and iOS gigantic marketshare

What Microsoft should do is make a Android based phone with quality hardware and have features built in to easily sync between Windows devices.

Why should I have been interested in Windows Mobile, when Android is open source, allows you to install programs without an app store, and is in general just a freer OS?

I've always been a fan of Microsoft's Tablet PC initiative, though. I'm getting the new Surface Pro next year and I really hope they don't end up killing that line too.

How would they do that? Allow phones towork as active directory servers? They already had continuum

Even Bill Gates have given up and owns an Android Phone

Bill Gates hasn't been a CEO in ages. His influence is mostly historical.

Not with desktop windows. If microsoft would have done that I kinda doubt most people would be lugging around big clunky laptops.

He doesn't believe in Windows phone and that makes it a failure

>not even the father of the company believes in the product
What does such a message say?

It's not just that. Wasn't WP7 itself already a reboot from WM6.5? What was the point of rebooting your OS right after you just did before?

Microsoft Windows XP Mobile Edition was essentially just Windows XP with drivers for touchscreen interface

you never used it, i thought same, but after i got to touch WP for the first time (wp8) i was amazed at how good and responsive UI is, everything is so simple and clean. And that was on a fucking htc 8x. Android phone with same specs would lag like shit.
My favorite part about this UI is that you get content to your finger instead of moving your finger to content.
At that time (around 2012) Android was absolute lagshit, and apple was apple.

Source: 4 years in mobile service shop.

btw i still use lumia930 wp8.1 and i like it.

>that makes it a failure
I think it is more to due with the lack of apps.

The father who hasn't worked there in years...? Imagine if this was Windows

Could it run x86 win32 programs?

IMO, they should have started in the premium top end market, make a name for themselves, and then expand to mid or entry level. Developers looking to get paid aren't going develop for a market that consists of poverty grade phones. Where were the phones that you could say were better than iPhone or Galaxy? Also the name... Windows phone or Windows Mobile... you don't see apple calling their stuff MacPhone.

Because it's shit and I don't even use the App Store

>order Windows Phone
>the day after I miss an appointment because the alarm clock didn't work
>Outlook calendar constantly forgets events
>Browser worked quite well but over time it became a laggy piece of shit

Unironically, the best mobile OS of the big three. I'm rocking a 950 (after using for years an incredible good 920 and for a brief time a 930) and I'm shivering thinking at when I will have to replace it with a iOs or android phone. I had a Iphone 4 with ios from 4.1 to if I remember correctly ios 6 and it was fucking garbage. I have an experia tablet with the last release of Cyanogenmod and it is fucking garbage too. Using an SP Pro 3 right now. It feels comfy

Big companies didnt develop for them like google, facebook etc

They still charged money from manufacturers using Windows Phone up until 8.1
If that isn't bad enough I don't know what is

bad timing

app devs didnt want to develop for a phone that had a tiny market share and all the normie plebs just wanted the latest apple and samsung devices to look good in instagram pics.

also WP10 was shit. My Lumia 735 on 8.1 was god-tier
>shame the glass wasnt. RIP.

That's because you never used one.
My moto g died a long time ago and decided to buy a Lumia 630 as replacement (it was just 35 bucks brand new).
Windows Phone 8 was fucking great, fast as fuck and I ended loving the home screen, Then I upgraded to w10m and it was alright. Too bad microcuck decided to kill the support for my phone because lol reasons.

Pic related, my old Lumia with W10M back then in 2016

Started OK, but bad choices and literally no advertising killed it.
Liked it a lot. Still running my 535.

Wrong kernel

Don't know. It was a long time ago. Before your time, newfag.

No apps.
Literally the linux of the mobile phones.

Pajeet CEO. Ballmer would have payed developers and mobile carriers enough to push the system