What is your programming level Sup Forums?

What is your programming level Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

allseenalliance.org/framework/documentation/develop/tutorial
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How does knowing basic C and Bash make you an intermediate programmer? Retarded picture

You know what intermediate means right?

Yeah, I don't think you do though

Knowing basic C and Bash puts you RIGHT above the typical web developer. It's intermediate. When you know C (or any other lower level language) in depth and you've written several code safe, scalable and actually used products, then you're above the intermediate territory.

You went from saying basic C to knowing C in depth with shipped code. Which one is it?

5.5 I'd say. Not really interested in learning sepples or more languages. I already write clean maintainable and scalable code. Whatever you mean by scalable, you webshit.

6. I don't know webdev,

? out of bound

>What is your programming level Sup Forums?
Blue whistle.

The levels aren't really even or clear. I do some occasional web dev stuff, I know very little C and Bash, but I know Java.

I work with SAP software so you don't need to be a developer to work on complex technical configurations/root cause analysis and my skills have gotten a bit rustier on the programming end accordingly.

If you actually read my sentence you'll see I said that puts you ABOVE intermediate.

>now knowing what scalability means outside of webdev buzzwords
Your 5.5ness is showing

What do you mean by "basic" C then? Not C++? kek

somewhere between 6 and 7

feel confident I'll someday achieve 8

I'm not passionate enough to become a researcher/academic and thus never will be a 10

So, does scalability refers to better performance as you throw ,ore hardware at it? Or does it mean you wrote your code in a very inefficient way just so that you can justify spending more time squeezing more performance out of it later on?
Or do you mean extensible code which is a completely different matter?

Let's put it like this. If you can write a Tetris clone in C, you're above basic C. Below that, you're in basic C territory.

It means you write code that scales. That's all it means.

if your program/server/whatever performs a task in X seconds/serve Y concurrent requests with a certain hardware, being scalable means that it will perform the same task in nearly X/2 seconds/serve nearly Y*2 concurrent requests with double the resources.

your program can be a slow piece of shit and be scalable, or be really fast on a single machine and not be scalable. sometimes the first is preferred, as throwing more machines is sometimes cheaper/easier than optimizing software.

So scalable code is just a buzzword which can mean many things at once. Got it.
Thanks, webshits.

>Learning things other than JS in 2017

It's almost like you hate money.

it's obviously a highly contextual term and a total buzzword if not employed right.

it could mean any of the following, and of course more than one
>the code base is scalable and easy to expand upon
>the application is highly parallelized and can scale with higher end hardware
>the application can scale across multiple individual hardware systems
>the application can interoperate with other separate software systems thus extending its functionality

So now you're saying that people who can't write a Tetris clone have an in-depth understanding of C and have written "code safe" (I think you meant thread safe), """""scalable""""" products people use?

It's not about hating money, it's about not wanting to kill myself. I transitioned from web dev into embedded a few years ago, and I practically cut my salary by 1/3. But it was totally worth it.

>stupidity

I can't write a Tetris clone in C because I know fuck all about GUI frameworks or rendering engines.

I have, however, written code that allows multiple computers in a cluster to share an NVMe disk concurrently.

Would you say that I am in basic C territory?

I think you might be too stupid to have a conversation with me.

I don't know, depends on your code and how much of it is your own. Tetris was a metaphor. It represents a skill level. If you're competent in C, it would take you about 1-2 hours to familiarize yourself with the APIs needed to write a Tetris.

I know basic C, fucked around with some Python. I'm fluent in Octave/MATLAB and Fortran since basically all of what I do is scientific programming, mostly physical simulations that so far haven't breached 500 LOC. Where am I?

1. What are code?

You don't seem to understand the difference between basic and intermediate.

>I don't know, depends on your code and how much of it is your own.
All 5000 lines of code.

>If you're competent in C, it would take you about 1-2 hours to familiarize yourself with the APIs needed to write a Tetris.
I don't think that's true. Firstly, it would take me some time to actually bother to learn how Tetris works since I've only played it like once when I was 12. Secondly, merely finding and installing the tools I need would easily take an hour. Then it's a matter of getting the tutorials to work etc... It depends on the complexity, but even the simplest GUI frameworks out there are several thousand lines of code. I mean, from what I can tell, it requires around 150 lines just to draw a dark rectangle in a Window using Qt.

On the reverse-engineering side I'm probably about an 8, programming is maybe a 5.5 or 6

i am literally Donald Knuth

>getting tutorials to work
You're a 4

I dare you to get this up and running in less than an hour: allseenalliance.org/framework/documentation/develop/tutorial

>Level 4 is knowing C
>Level 5 is only knowing Java and being scared of anything lower level
wut
>number of programming languages you know is reflective of skill level
Experts usually work in one niche that uses a couple of languages. Knowing multiple paradigms is what makes one a well rounded programmer. Knowing a lot of languages means you are somebody who is looking for new toys to play with.

What noob wrote this

>tutorials
There's that word again.

Programmers read books. Tutorials are for web developers.

this

OP is a retard

Where is Terry?

>using frameworks and tools so antiquated they write books about them
Found the COBOL developer.

Knowing a lot of languages comes from actively programming for a long period of time. Jumping from language to language gets easier with time.

where is the level that is

>went to school to get a CS degree and never programmed after that

That's level 11

>HURR buks r dum.......

>iOS
>Objective-C bindings

why would you want to?

>lets write our project in the latest meme framework!
>deprecated in days
>abandoned in weeks
>breaks whole tech stack after a month

It just means you're comfortable with Java, you doof. You're terrified of going either lower or higher level. You're in your comfy Java programming world. That represents like the majority of programmers.

>thinking knowing basic C means you're a competent low level developer

For learning about recent software frameworks, yeah. By the time O'Reilly or whatever meme publisher someone writes a book about it, it's going to be considered antiquated, yes. The turnaround in this field is very high. Take for example Linux, the most recent book about Linux is talking about the 2.6 kernel, which is what, 10+ years now? The APIs described in those books aren't even used anymore.

I'm level 6. Just barely managed to get hired *whew*

This is dumb and you should feel dumb

>ignores the C API and C++ API because he thinks it makes him clever
It's a bootstrapping framework for bringing devices online using zeroconf methods. The fact that it has bindings to popular mobile environments proves that it is adopted in the industry.

So everyone that goes to school, learns basic C, then goes on to a boring ass job where he writes Java 99% of time, is immediately granted all the lower levels to programming?

Plenty people know basic C. Knowing it in depth is a different story altogether.

RHEL 6 still uses 2.6 and is still supported.

Do you really know six programming languages same time? Damn, I feel myself as moron. Where you got such excellent memory?

I'm a solid 4.

I like Python

>uses RHEL 6 as an example to prove that he isn't an old dinosaur
double kek

Not him but once you're very familiar with a single languages, learning others becomes way easier. Especially if they have similar characteristics.

>Knowing basic C and Bash puts you RIGHT above the typical web developer.
you learn basic C when you take an intro to computer science class. you learn basic bash when you first install linux. That does not make you an intermediate programmer. The reason you say that is because basic understanding of C and bash is the HIGHEST level of understanding that most Sup Forumstards will acquire
>protip: there is a lot more to webdev than writing HTML for the front end

humble 6

I like Python and do web development

I work at Google

>My meme systems trump stable enterprise grade supported systems because they are hip and new.

Do you mop the floors?

That doesn't entirely make sense in terms of skill level though. I know C but know nothing about web dev. I don't know JS, I don't keep up with the latest web frameworks etc. When it comes to webdev I can't do anything but I can write you a low level program in C. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

You're likely a 7

how does your shitty code handle
>more users
>larger datasets
>increased traffic
none of this matters to you since you're a codelet that writes sql queries that take O(e^n) time

It's not a strict guideline, more like a bunch of metaphors. Of course you can deviate from it. You can be a competent JS developer and still be a solid 6.

Or maybe I'm an EXPERT PROGRAMMER who hates buzzwords and likes when technical terminology has clearly defined meanings.

My "meme system" has IOMMU support, allowing me to assign devices to different VMs without the risk of malicious users using them to break out of isolation and take my entire system down.

But enjoy your rusty old shit.

If you know how pointers work, you're intermediate in my book.

>So everyone that goes to school, learns basic C, then goes on to a boring ass job where he writes Java 99% of time, is immediately granted all the lower levels to programming?
Never said that.

Most schools teach Java for their intro to programming course. Does knowing basic Java automatically make someone a more experienced programmer than someone who knows C and bash?
You know your image macro isnt very good when you are forced to come up with straw men to defend it.

>unironically using ENTERPRISE as an indicator of quality
I guess you just love all that ENTERPRISE QUALITY Java code around, don't you?

Pointers are easy. It's when you start casting that shit gets fucky really quick.

>java dev who cannot do pointers > c programmer who can.
I bet your better java monkey doesn't even understand how java's references work.

It wasn't meant to be a serious or strict chart. I'm just responding to your silly conclusions.

There's no reason to do that though. At least none that I've come across. All you need is basic pointers.

Defining an array of unspecified size would be bad anyway because C is all about managing memory and working with buffers.

Web developing includes JS (vanilla, jQuery or whatever else there is), CSS, and HTML package literally everywhere, some common extra shit like Angular and Bootstrap, and then depending on the framework in question, it'll also require Ruby, PHP, C#, Java, or whatever else you'll end up using - all of these just for the purpose of writing the client-side. You'll also likely to end up working more closely with the framework itself as no one's assed to make the server-side for you. So in addition to whatever the language your chosen framework utilizes, you'll have to deal with 1-3 DBs (SQL and no-SQL), usually a cloud service, at least a single VM (but generally more than that), and a bunch of solutions like ImageMagick, Twilio, some other shit you won't possibly be writing from scratch unless you're autistic (or are paid for).

So, no, being able to write a shitty Tetris clone no one had asked for in C doesn't put you above web devs, even if you really like to think it does. Even pure JS/CSS/HTML codemonkeys are more useful than you and have a better understanding of what programming really is.

t. not even a web dev at this particular moment.

PS Seriously speaking though, I like the idea of the "rating" - especially if it were to have less meme and more substance.

heck, i guess all those 2.6 hypervisors are boned then.

stability, not quality.

From my experience, competent web developers are also competent in several other languages and paradigms. Which puts them above "web developer" level on the chart. It's a kind of derogatory term, the chart makes fun of that.

>taking things this seriously

>competent web developers

lmao

11. I don't need to seek validation from a chart posted on Sup Forums.

did some dicking around with python.
so optimistically speaking 2.

how big of you :)

3 master race tbqh

>heck, i guess all those 2.6 hypervisors are boned then.
Seeing how they only do paravirtualization or SRIOV functions and not true passthrough, yeah.

Gods gods.

You forgot number 11.

Almost typed 8 but not yet sure if I'm saving or ruining the large scale project. Extracting coherent specs from the manager probably requires lvl 11 in some other discipline, and all of my work may prove to be worthless.

7.5, I'm doing the blunt of a large scale project but no way to know if it's good for real until it hits production.
Tests and QA are all artificial situations, users are dumber.

Expert in .net and embedded C, developed from scratch and shipped about 5 projects that were 50k to 250k LOC plus various other smaller projects.