/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated - blame /csg/)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Does the Google Pixel 2 XL have a screen burn-in problem?
androidcentral.com/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn

Pixel 2 XL - Green line appears on the display when pressing a certain area
youtube.com/watch?v=upLTjUzrRxw

Best Buy $250 off Note8, S8, and S8+ for ATT and Verizon
bestbuy.com/site/conditional-offers/samsung-phones-offer/pcmcat1507219279019.c?id=pcmcat1507219279019

Meizu M6 Note vs Xiaomi Mi A1: Best Budget Android Phones in 2017
youtu.be/vUwsO5ALRKY

Samsung's Note 8 feels as fast as the Pixel 2, and that's a big deal
thenextweb.com/opinion/2017/10/20/samsungs-note-8-feels-almost-as-smooth-as-the-pixel-2-and-thats-a-big-deal/

Google Pixel 2 XL vs iPhone 8 Plus Drop Test
youtu.be/hvZI8QO1QW0

HTC U11+: SD835, 4/64GB | 6/128GB, mSDXC, 6" WQHD+ LCD@ 538dpi, 12MP-f/1.7-LEDx2/8MP, 3930mAh-QC3.0, IP68, E.Sense, B.Sound
twitter.com/evleaks/status/921761852291502081

Moto X4 Android One review: A good reminder of what a great deal looks likepcworld.com/article/3233316/phones/moto-x4-android-one-review.html

old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/compare/meizu-m6-note4gb-64gb,xiaomi-mi-max-24gb-64gb-global,xiaomi-mia1,xiaomi-redmi-note-44gb-64gb-global
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I really liked the essential phone, shame they didn't include a headphone jack. Would've bought one if it did.

Next week I'm going to try the Galaxy S6 battery replacement mod to breath some life into my 2 year old phone. Going to put a S7 edge 3600mAh battery into the S6. Wish me luck lads. I would appreciate any tips or advice before I proceed.

What phone should I buy on ATT? I'm using a galaxy s4 and want something I can use that will last a while and get security updates. I'm not a power user and would mostly just use GPS and web browsing. Should I get a used Iphone 7 or maybe get the new iphone 8? Or should I get a galaxy s8 or LG g6?

iPhone SE or Galaxy S8

> gs6 too slow to watch videos
> no custom roms for my model
> Give up
> buy moto x4
> carrier says I cant use it
> back on slow gs6

WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO DO

Odin back to a older factory image. Samsung lowers the cpu speed intentionally on old phones.

where can I find a stock rom?

>slow gs6
you mean the galaxy s6?
mines is not slow at ALL. running on nougat.

V30 or S8/S8+ or Note 8 or wait for U11+

What meme carrier are you on that the X4 wouldn't work on it?

i'm on nougat as well. My battery life is shite, apps crash, calls drop constantly, and texts send twice.

battery life is shit I agree but I get no crashing or call drops. I made sure to disable all the bloatware with disabler pro. That's why I'm trying to improve battery life in a phone that still is fast for me.

US Cellular told me that "this phone isn't supported by our service, so we cannot help you"

How's the XZ1 Compact, Sup Forums?

I'll repeat since last thread died too quickly:

What is the cheapest phone I can get with decent battery life (3000 mAh and above I suppose) and a display of 5-5.5 inches that wont fall apart in maybe a year of use?
I need my Telegram but that's about it - no beefy CPU/GPU or some advanced gimmicks like underwater eye scanning please.

Can be chink too, I just need a screen with a battery and a more or less recent Android.

I was suggested ZUK and J5 2016 (both too pricey for this kind of usage and where I live).

what is the upper limit of your budget?

lmao I have a galaxy s4 and none of those problems

might want to look into flashing a custom ROM
got my S4 a new screen, flashed CM13 and now the battery feels like it lasts 50% more, if you've already flashed a custom ROM make sure you've updated your modem

Should i buy this guy on black friday to substitute my redmi note 3 pro or wait for redmi note 5?

Redmi Note 5 launch is imminent, wait for that

Around a 100 bucks, less is better since that'll be a company phone and I want to invest the change into a better data package.

Moto E4 if you're in the US, Redmi 4A otherwise

When the fuck the Redmi 5 (non-note version) will be announced? I need to know how the specs compare against the Redmi 4 Pro, which seems to be the only phone sub-220$ with a 5" screen that is worth to buy.

According to /csg/, you'll be better off buying it on ali for the 11.11 deals

What is the best feature phone/basic phone of 2017 ? ( Java app supported )

Friendly reminder to NEVER SETTLE bois

Can't find 4A atm, anything else I might look into?

Anyone here use a pixel 2 xl? i can trade in my s7 edge and get it discounted by $300, i'm not sure if there is a better phone I can get for $575.

Custom ROMs and rooting not available on my S6 AT&T version. But I have disabled all the bloat I can with package Disabler pro to give me some more battery and RAM available. Love the phone the only issue is just battery life.

spent 2 hours talking with the new assistant waifu lads
the app is a bit buggy though, for some requests she hangs until you lock and unlock your phone

c-cute

what app is this?

the default google one that opens up when I hold my "home" button, they updated it today

Google Assistant

What's a good amount of on screen time for a phone?

Ah, never used it so I didnt recognise.

What's the opinion on the Moto z2 force.

depends on how long it was off the charger

I want to get a nokia 8 in copper finish, should I do it lads?

1 day

well, I'd consider anything under 4 hours of SoT (from full charge to low enough to have to charge) to be bad in regular usage (stuff like gaming and using GPS will obviously tax the battery life more). 4 to 6 hours would be around average.

post more

Fair enough. I only get about 3 hours with my old LG phone. Time to replace the battery.

should all LG products be avoided because of that bootloop meme

Thoughts on Moto G6?

From a review I just watched it's sort of a one step forward, two steps back sort of thing. The smaller battery sounds bad, I don't know why Lenovo didn't waterproof it, and this is personal, but no headphone jack is lame.

I've had the V10 for 2 years. Screen retention is the only issue I've had.

same as always, little performance boost, awful camera and memory managment.

>trading a perfectly fine display for a horrendous POS panel
All of the display models I've seen have been uneven, grainy, and blue-shifted. Good luck with that senpai go with the Pixel 2 if you want one or go with an S8 and wait for it to be updated to 7.1.1 or 8.0 - it will be nearly as smooth (like the Note 8). The S8 would likely be cheaper and be less gimped in the hardware department.

Sucks too because I was hyped for the phone, but that's totally dead now.

I have a regular Pixel 2 and im liking it so far, no issues with it yet unlike XL model

a shitty upgrade of the G5?

I´m thinking about a Nokia 6. Anyone knows any decent problems?

LG should be avoided at all costs because of poor screen quality and awful customer support

Decent problems? What the fuck are those lmao

So I'm on Lineageos and I've finally found mild success in battery saving through ex kernel and lspeed (as recommended by user) where i get almost an hour more of SOT... But the performance is shit

Uploading, camera, and other """"""" high intensive """"""" apps suffer so much.

Is there an easy way to save battery? I'm willing to change my ROM, my os, my kernel, whatever.

>webm post is a test

swap battery for bigger battery

Undervolt it.

>tfw preordered the Pixel 2 XL
>tfw reading article after article of problems with the phone ranging from tolerable to fucking abysmal with burn-in and poor colours
>apparently the paint job scratches off just from being in your pocket too
ahh what have I done

SOON

Actually ordered it with the intention of returning. Going to see how overblown the issues are before I decide whether to cancel my Panda models.

Check the Jerry rig video... You'll shudder

That's the regular Pixel 2 doe

Did HTC win with the U11 Life?

>mfw HTC and OnePlus are the last hope of producing a decent flagship this year

>waiting for the 256th flagship

>tfw preordered the Pixel 2 XL
>tfw reading article after article of problems with the phone ranging from tolerable to fucking abysmal with burn-in and poor colours
>apparently the paint job scratches off just from being in your pocket too

I received mine on the 19th to replace my HTC 10. I haven't had any issues with the paint. The burn in is present, just barely and I believe that the colors are fine. That's just my opinion though.

Anything wrong with Xiaomi 4X? Would it be worth to spend a bit more on Huawei P8?

>the burn in is present
absolutely disgusting and unacceptable. you would think a 2017 flagship phone would have found a way to stop burn in already.

US, T-Mobile
Under $250 preferred
Looking for something smaller if possible, under 5" preferred. Have a moto g of 6 months but it's been giving me so many issues I'm just going to take the loss and replace it.

I'd rather not get a china phone as I'd rather not play around with it, I just want something that will work out of box. Highest priority is camera, headphone jack and battery life I suppose, I don't use my phone for much other than browsing, music and keeping in touch with people.

For fun I was browsing the xz premium xda section.

Apparently if you unlock the bootloader the camera stops working.

What the fuck is going on with manufacturers these days. They're driving away the very customers who recommends phones.

Lmao just file a repair request with your cc company and they'll foot the bill.

Free phone and you aren't even scamming.

>I'd rather not play around with it, I just want something that will work out of box. Highest priority is camera, headphone jack and battery life I suppose, I don't use my phone for much other than browsing, music and keeping in touch with people.

You might not realize it, but you want an iPhone. I'd shop around for an iPhone SE.

Used/refurb iPhone SE or Xperia X Compact

There are too many things about iOS that are deal breakers for me, if there was a bit more freedom I'd go for it. Messaging app is garbage, lack of persistent back button is annoying, etc.

I might still give it a shot though

I'll check those out, thanks

Will the s8 ever hope to be able to be safely rootable or even at this point flashable?

>rooting causes to bootloop on US version

I think this is the perfect phone aesthetically, don't see myself getting a new phone for a few years IF Samsung didn't lock the phone so much.

I agree with you, it shouldn't be an issue, especially this early. No excuses. I can only see it in single color backgrounds though, and the bar is always present when you're interacting with the phone. It's not a distraction, as you have to look for and almost go out of your way to see it.

Hey, considering buying a Redmi Note 4x from China through intermediarie (Linio.cl).
Any other choice i should consider?
Should i wait for CyberMonday/BlackFriday?

Pretty much never. They did an audit and couldn't find anything. The phone have been out for 6 months already, soon interest will taper off as people flock the newer updated models. New security patches will continously cause issues for rooting and it's a constant cat and mouse game. Samsung doesn't want consumers to root and unnecessarily prolong the time they keep the phone.

Should I even bother waiting for the U11+ with these Samsung Best Buy deals

Moto G5+

I have a moto x 2013... should I upgrade ?? I want to upgrade but I am not willing to dish out anything above $200

what's the best, convenient way to secure a phone in case it gets stolen like if I use a password manager and stuff? Should I just not do anything that requires security on my phone?

Get a 2016 model of the galaxy a3.

ZTE Blade X and Moto E4 are your only good options, and even those require you to stretch your budget slightly. Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck.

All I want is a

Of these four phones, which one should I get? I currently don't have a phone at all right now, so i'm looking to pick something up soon.
kimovil.com/en/compare/meizu-m6-note4gb-64gb,xiaomi-mi-max-24gb-64gb-global,xiaomi-mia1,xiaomi-redmi-note-44gb-64gb-global

Tfw dont know what to do about my pixel 2xl order

cancel it

really think I should?

what web browser do you guys use?

naked

not him but i prefer either of the new galaxy 8 devices

I can't stand touchwiz

not him either but yeah probably the whole thing looks like a dumpster fire

Opinions of LG V20

So now that Pixel 2 is confirmed a dud, should I upgrade into the Pixel XL instead? I have a Note 4 and it's starting to show its age... Seems that there are no major issues with the 1st generation Pixel phones.

Yes you should. When you get it you'll be looking for the screen issues, and you'll inevitably find them and regret your purchase. If you really want to spend $800+ on a device wait for the U11+. Not sure how much the OP5T will cost. Otherwise you can just get a chinkphone.

How do you bypass Factory Reset Data protection? My dad bought an LG Aristo and I have no idea how to bypass this screen. All the work arounds I've found need you to find some way to get to Google but those guides are a few months old, so those workarounds have already been patched out

Do it. Battery will easily last you 2-3 days with moderate use on a single charge once the battery calibrates itself.

>using a dumbphone