Hard Drive Thread

I want to bury a few terabyte hard drives in the woods somewhere.

what operating system should i use on the drives and whats a good way to keep them from rusting or getting destroyed in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15637W/Pails-S-15637WQ/Screw-Top-Pail-65-Gallon-White-Lid?pricode=WB0749&gadtype=pla&id=S-15637WQ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZTC8rSH1wIVhUOGCh0W6wFlEAYYAyABEgJjYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
youtube.com/watch?v=_3DLwC7FAaw&list=PLt5hKG8aUJEh9M-7pGL7ZCs4woHslI54F&index=4
thesurvivalmom.com/skill-of-the-month-make-a-faraday-cage/
homedepot.com/p/Power-Pro-Technology-1-000-Watt-2-Stroke-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-56101/205151118?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-AllProducts|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyvaBiIiI1wIVG1YNCh2S7grXEAkYDiABEgLEDfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CK7l65KIiNcCFROghwodiDQChA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

asking for a friend of course

What's your friend's name and why does he ask?

>bury in the woods
It's brainlet encryption.

he just wants to hide his christmas gifts of new hardrives and legally purchased movies from his family who find his gifts every year when the gifts are hidden in the house

Have "emergency" stash buried in woods (just some money).

I used long PVC pipe, two caps and sealed everything with silicone.

I guess this will easily last 30 years if not longer.

Stick 'em in one of those metal breifcases with inch-thick foam around the drives. You could put a few layers of electrical tape, or rubber sealant, around the edges to make it semi-water-tight, and paint the case brown to mske it harder to find (might not want to do that, depending on how hard you want it to be found later). You should also encrypt the drives, unless the whole point is for them to be found. As for OS, it depends. If you want security, go for debian, but if you want some stranger with a metal detector to find them, go for Windows.

im not sure the drive i have will fit in the pvc tube sizes available to me now, but i can try, that seems the sheapest way.

my problem with the briefcases is the rusting component because it rains a lot where i live so they would almost certainly have any exposed metal decay and crack over the time i plan to store them.

uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15637W/Pails-S-15637WQ/Screw-Top-Pail-65-Gallon-White-Lid?pricode=WB0749&gadtype=pla&id=S-15637WQ&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZTC8rSH1wIVhUOGCh0W6wFlEAYYAyABEgJjYfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

this thing seems more of what i need for the underground storage part since this is vaccum sealed.
im not worried about somebody sumbling upon it because id bury it deep enough so they wont find it but not enough for it to shift and get lost if it floods.

what is a good way to password protect the drives and maybe shield them from radiation or lighting hitting above where its buried.

>what is humidity
put the notes into one of those ziplock bags that you can vacuum and suck the air out, then put it in freezer for couple of days to kill all the bacteria/mites etc. Then put them into pvc and seal it

youtube.com/watch?v=_3DLwC7FAaw&list=PLt5hKG8aUJEh9M-7pGL7ZCs4woHslI54F&index=4

i cant find a video of it, but this mountain man had one episode where he store pic related tied to a rock underwater.
he had a cache of supplies hidden underwater in this thing for months without it leaking.

Would it not be safer using a few tb memory cards?

Even at 100% humidity for liter of air there is like 0.02 ml of water and that's nothing to worry about.

not usually no, but having that much water in watertight pipe will turn anything into slime or rust over 30 years

what are some good ways to remove oxidants from the containers so as to limit rust with what humidity cant be sucked out without expensive sealant equipment.

i heard you can use the freshness packets from beef jerky bags but i dont want my hardrive to smell like beef jerky when i dig it up,

Desiccant packs that come with hdds

Get bigger PVC and glue the end caps on. You can cut them off with a saw after the apocalypse. Saws will survive.

Sealed, done. Problem solve. You can bag the drive before insertion. Of course you'll need a computer buried in a faraday cage....

How do I bury electricity to power the computer after the apocalypse. Do I just charge up an extension cord and then bury it too.

If you cannot figure out how to produce power from plentiful parts, it's not hard to learn. Bury a 12 volt inverter if you like.

Simple Briggs and Stratton pull start generators will still work, and if extra autist you can buy a flywheel puller and a spare ignition trigger. Don't power a PC direct off one. Charge a battery, shut down generator, then run off battery.

Honda eu2000i and spares are good solution if buying new, but even Harbor Freight generators can do well.

It's simple to use parts you don't leave connected to grid. Batteries will live, unconnected solar panels etc too.

Have a multimeter and the usual electronic hobbyist hand tools too. You'll need them for working on vehicles.

You also have an excuse to buy a Harley, Evolution engine and prior, then keep a set of points ignition parts in a bag if you run electronic igniton. I'll still be riding after EMP. I also still have points distributors and other spare parts for my F250 and can harvest from wrecks easily.

Your best friend in SHTF is your mind. Next is your black rifle (with spares and ammo), then third is your extensive hand tool collection.

A Thinkpad or four sealed in plastic then boxed in a grounded ammo can will do for war reserve computers. You'll have plenty of PCs to scavenge anyway.

Burn live Linux DVDs at slowest speed possible and you'll have portable OS which can easily be copied. EMP won't fuck with those.

You can buy large dessicant packs online.

You could also spray your hd with electrical terminal protectant then turn it into a giant plastic turd of (sensor safe) RTV. It peels off nicely.

Study how EMP actually works. All da prep info applies to natural disasters so you can't lose.

inscribe the 1's and 0's deeply into granite slabs. Maybe fill the incription with a reflective material so you can easily take a photo of it and convert the data back to digital

thesurvivalmom.com/skill-of-the-month-make-a-faraday-cage/
is she retarded or ish she right.

also do you even need a faraday cage if you dont have the electronic plugged in.
this looks retardedly simple. i mean who cant afford aluminum foil.

homedepot.com/p/Power-Pro-Technology-1-000-Watt-2-Stroke-Gasoline-Powered-Portable-Generator-56101/205151118?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-AllProducts|&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyvaBiIiI1wIVG1YNCh2S7grXEAkYDiABEgLEDfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CK7l65KIiNcCFROghwodiDQChA
im checking out this generator. but im worried about wether it is to strong for my computer since mine has an input of 100-240V~1.4A. and 50-60HZ. the generator has an output of 120V at 7.2A and an amperage of 7.5.

flash memory degrades without power, hdd don't.

this thing puts out 120 volts as an output, and my computer takes 100 to 240 volts. is this output to low for my computer. im ordering this thing and am worried it will mess up my computer if i do.