Speedtest

>tfw this is my actual speed
Jelly?

should I be?

op btfo

>implying thats even possible. My fucking SSD drive cant even write that fast.

>write
hurr durr

I would post a 3000mbps+ one but speedtest-cli fucks up with speedtest results over 2000mbps.

You're a retard.

my HDDs can write at 150MB/s which is over 1.2gbps

SSDs can write at over 500MB/s which is 4gbps.

My PCIe SSD can write at ~2200MB/s or about 17.6gbps

That's a nice university you have. What's your speeds at home?
>6/28/2017
Is this even your screenshot?

>150MBps is bigger than 950MBps
go learn basic math fucking idiot

have you literally never heard of gigabit user

Not sure if trolling...

it's an old screenshot, i can post one from right now if you care. it wont hit that peak tho since that was taken during middle of the night.

retard. bits vs Bytes

1 Byte is = to 8 bits

so 1MB/s is 8Mb/s
150MB is 1200Mbps

>Image literally shows Megabits
>Hurr durr 950 is bigger than 150

Learn to divide by 8 lmAO

>nice university
>verizon FiOS

uh user...

a) it's possible, and not everything that goes over a network has to go to a disk
b) that's only like 120 MB, even mechanical drives can approach it

I mean, that's nice and all, but I pretty much don't pay for my Internet. Just saying.

Someone does, you're just getting it paid for by someone else, or many others (taxes).

Mine is cheap compared to elsewhere in my country and that's good enough for me, I don't expect to beat everyone in the world on price because that would be retarded.

So you expect Sup Forums to be jelly of a guy in such a bad spot in life he's not paying for his own Internet access?

t. poorfag 3rd world country reporting in.. I guess my speed is then about 4Mbps if this guy is right... But I wouldnt know what to do with faster internet aynways.

Technically "we" are paying for the Internet, without going into details.

>bad spot
kek

Anyway, I'm the one who's jelly now.

oh god...

I honestly don't know how I could go back to something under 300mbps.

Fucking hell am I jelly. Gibsmesumofdat.

You would be more productive though. While waiting for download, you'd have to do some work to distract yourself...

why would i be jelly? you are paying a ton of money for those speeds

Honestly it's all about location.

I moved to this area back in 2005 because I heard about the fiber rollout for the area.

In 2005 I had 10mbps. By 2007 I had 20mbps. 2009 came with 50mbps. 2012 I moved to 150mbps. Then waited until 2017 for 1gbps.

I've never paid over $100 a month for internet.

What price have you paid for this heavenly speed?

Surely there's something shitty about where you are?

lol, so you fuckers seriously could get bottlenecked by HDD write speed. thats fucking crazy.

will there ever come a future where internet speed BTFO disk wirte speed?

No because write speeds will always increase as well, and due to the fact that they're local, will always be faster than Internet speed.

No exceptions.

If you don't like urban or suburban life you're screwed.
You'll never see these speeds with rural living unless you are blessed by a local fiber ISP that is willing to run a fiber drop to you.

Most of the North east US in the wealthy urban and suburban areas now have at least 200-400mbps. Many areas with gigabit.

Glad I backed off DSL. This shit was awful, having ADSL with not even 6Mbps arriving at the router. To put more salt in the wound, they made me pay 50€+ for this shit, beginning in 2007 with some 1,5Mbps-conctract, of which only little actually arrived.
Telekom: btfo.

Faster than most Germans. Up speed could be way higher, but heh, TV-cable and shit.

Northern EU internet is pretty good, 20 euros for gigabit without a plan, no data caps, ISP nor government doesn't give a fuck if you torrent

Huh? Is that so special? I get about the same. Guess not everyone is on fiber yet, huh..

>ooh, almost 100 Mbps is alot huh guys?!
>Americans
Fucking plebs

I.. I'm Slovenian though... Y'know, Europe..?

It's fiber though.

Yeah, I was saying it might seem like a lot for those that aren't on fiber.

Even I get more speed than you on my crappy Mexican connection

slightly

having only one fibre isp is great

yes. only one isp here and they provide the connection through the cable tv network and the most expensive plan has only 20mbps upload and the prices are america tier.

>9.91 Mbps upload
Jesus...

Try asking them to like move 50 Mbps download over to upload or something at least.

MB = Megabytes
MB = Megabits
Retard.

why do poor third world countries have so good internet connections while less poor countries are still on fucking adsl??

not really how it works user

small countries = cheaper roll out
those gigabit connections often don't stay gigabit outside of the country/area

>not really how it works user
You don't say.

Still, make it happen. That's just sad.

>tfw Texas

i tried to get 100/20
they said no

not really
>tfw this is lower than my actual speed by about 15 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up
network monitor even shows 356/75 Mbps while running speedtest, dunno why speedtest shows a lower result

some bits are getting lost along the way :^)

>tfw 100 kbps down and 50 up

Not at home so no wifi, but here's my lte.

>50kbps up
>35KB picture
it took you a solid 5-10 seconds just upload that kek.

That picture clearly shows you're somewhere under the sea, Megacable?? You're stealing internet straight from the transatlantic communications cable!

>50 kilobytespersec
>35 would take me 10 secs
kys brainlet

user, I get consistent 80mbps down, but 3mbps up on a good day.

So does the NSA and GCHQ. Who cares?

It clearly says bits though.

the picture is 35KB or 280kb.
the post said 50kbps

so at full throttle that's ~6 seconds.

They're their own isps, you're just a mexican shitposter with a submarine.

its 35 kilo BYTE
it took less than a sec

user, just learn the difference between "b" and "B" and you won't have to look stupid the next time.

>tfw 100 kbps down and 50 up

50kbps is 50 kilo BITS

a BYTE is 8 (EIGHT) BITS

so 35KB would be 280 kb.

Learn the difference between B and b

I'm actually faster then someone!

Is there a difference between "K" and "k" or "M" and "m"?

Nope. Just bits and Bytes, the unit modifier.
M or m is still mega
and
K or k is still kilo

Steam actually estimates fairly accurately. I wonder when that started, i'm so used to steam saying it'll take an hour or two without any regard to my actual connection speed.

how do I get faster speeds in los angeles????

Look to see if any fiber providers offer service to your address or nearby and are willing to do a fiber drop to your address.

just kidding :'( I already have the fastest plan in my area that gives 10 upload at most

tfw capped upload

This is why i probably wouldn't move to RCN even if they brought their gigabit service here.

I have gigabit fiber for $90/month.

RCN offers it for like $60/month. But my fiber has 945mbps upload which just makes RCN look like a joke.

DOCSIS a shit.

its either this or comcast. comcast doesnt even offer gigabit around me

Where at, 210 here - my neighborhood got Google fiber but
>Google
Guess I'll just pay the same for 300mbps with spectrum.

damn, they offer gigabit DOCSIS and 2gbps fiber here. But the 2gbps service has a $1000 install cost, and the gigabit DOCSIS has the same issue as RCN with shit upload speeds.

steam used to ask you when setting up what your speed was, which was what it used to estimate before.

281, I have the unfortunate luck to be in a dead one when Im surrounded by suburban areas.
But apparently comcast is setting up lines on some of the telephone poles in the area but I'm not holding my breath.
Even tried calling them to see if they were putting up lines but ended up getting referred to hughes net.

jesus fucking christ

Nice upload to download ratio. I'm kinda jelly about that. But not your downlaod. I'm just over double your download, and have 10x speed available, if I decided to sign up for it. Yes I'm in America.

Did you buy some cheap SSD made in 2006? Just for the record, one byte = 8 bits. Most data transfer rates are usually measured in bits per second (not bytes). OP's total download speed is about 118.8 mega bytes per second. My $80 SSD is capable of that speed almost 19x over.

If it were a university, it'd probably not be that high, even if they were directly behind the gateway/router without any throttling. A university would probably have an OC3 or higher. OC3 is about 155 Mbps and costs about $10,000 per month, give or take like $3,000 depending on the location. OC18 is almost, but still not quite as fast as OP's speed, and probably costs as much as both of our houses combined per month. However, here's the major difference... Home ISPs are like a public highway. Yea, sure, the speed limit is 65 MPH, but during rush hour, you're never going to go that fast, because we're sharing the same road. But with something like OC3, it's like having your own private highway. The speed limit might be 45 MPH, but you're guaranteed that speed constantly, no matter if it's rush hour or not. And down time is unacceptable, even if it's only 30 seconds.

stop phone posting you stupid fuck

> Australia
> $90 "national broadband network"
> 17 mbps/ 1mbps

kill me

>b-b-but they promised 25mbps average across Australia

>tfw own a house with fibre
it's ok but where are the fucking gigabit plans you worthless nbn cunts

it's almost enough to make a bloke sell up and move to new zealand

They're likely only running a single fiber to your area on the backbone so you're probably sharing 2.4gbps (GPON) with 30+ other houses.

Ausfag reporting in... $100 a month for this + 600gb cap.

I'm honestly tempted to just get 4G 140GB for $70 offered by optus. Fuck, even maybe two of em. I use about 250gb a month anyway

>faster than 78%
jesus fuck

Meh, mine is 150mbps. Only have like 30mbps upload though. It's retarded. I rent a seed box that's 20gbps up though. It's helpful.

Yeah, unfortunately I can only get Vodafone 4G where I live now ~40mbps while other carriers are 5-10mbps on 3G. Nuskope isn't too bad, just get a lot of packet loss.

Fuck even australia kills your shitty internet. Pic related its my hybrid fibre coaxial connection.

My LTE even after using 258GB this month.

>even australia kills your shitty internet
just barely. We all know how shit most internet is over there. Even 13mbps is considered good.
>12.92mbps
>faster than 78% of AUS.

>tfw authentic Australian 20 Mbps up 4 Mbps down
Thanks Turnbull

Wait, who the fuck are you with to get those speeds? Last time I checked, the best we can get is 100/40

NBN did have plans for mid/late 2017
to upgrade some HFC areas to DOCSIS 3.1 which is 10gbps download and 1gbps upload shared between a neighborhood.

So if he's a lucky fuck he might be in one of those few areas.

>tfw live in Iowa and my ISP has 1gig everywhere

feelsgoodman

Ah makes sense. I'm getting HFC early next year around my area, hopefully they rollout DOCSIS 3.1.

Wrong, Mildura doesnt have the NBN and won't until 2018.
The HFC network was installed in the early 90s in Mildura as a test for Telstra to roll out Australia wide. Then the Liberals privatised Telstra and the plan was shelved indefinately.

From what I can see it's iiNet and they cap out at 80-100mbps for their cable plan, at least that's what they advertise as available
>exclusively in Geelong, Mildura, and Ballarat

So that means it's probably DOCSIS 3.0 and they're just leaving it uncapped and you get whatever you get.