/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Coffee Lake has been released! Benchmarks / Reviews
techpowerup.com/reviews/ (Search "Intel")
====
>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on the title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1
If you want help:
>State the budget & currency for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i3 8100 - Better budget CPU; extra cost of the currently available Z mobos lessens the value of the CPU
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs, platform support varies
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use
RAM:
>Check your Mobo's QVL before buying RAM or look for user reports
>Ryzen CPUs benefit a lot from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
GPUs:
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070 / 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
>GTX 1080Ti
General:
>Consider a 240GB or larger SSD.
>Consider a Wireless Network Adapter, 5Ghz is backward compatible with the more common 2.4 Ghz

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157763
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/7VZ2FT/asus-prime-z270-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z270-aboard?
techspot.com/review/1505-intel-core-8th-gen-vs-amd-ryzen/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/XGtBM8
pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCKgVY
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCKgVY/by_merchant/
au.pcpartpicker.com/product/fZKhP6/asrock-x370-taichi-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-taichi
youtube.com/watch?v=SZFSmtjpF1E
youtube.com/watch?v=KD9CRQp2YpA
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDNjm8
pcpartpicker.com/user/Saski64/saved/4zrzK8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Old thread that was basically dead:

Will 1070ti + r5 1600 be enough for 1440p 144fps? I don't really play much AAA games. Mostly play Tekken 7, Guilty Gear revelator, and Dark Souls games. Probably will get MH when it launches. Also looking to get back into racing games.

Does the i5 8400 perform any good in CEMU/RPCS3?

I just got a 1700 for REALLY cheap, so I was wondering if for the MOBO I should go for B350 pic.related or an X370 AsRock?
Looking to OC to 3.8 ghz and maybe 4 ghz later on if I want to. 16 GB 2666MHz RAM, RX 480 8GB.
What would I lose to going for a B350?
Also looking to maybe upgrade to Zen 2 if it is good enough in difference to this one, so that is in mind since this CPU was really a steal for me (could sell it towards a new one later).

>G4560/G4600
lol

What case is that and does it come with the mouse?

>What would I lose to going for a B350?
I/O

just get this newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157763

what else would you need
it would still overclock to 3.8-3.9ghz

Asrock b350 pro4 or asus ROG Strix b350? And why?

>What would I lose to going for a B350?
Quality components. From what I've read the B350's aren't expected to have very long lifespans with high OCs.

Dell S2417DG YNY1D 24 inch
Or
ViewSonic XG2703-GS 27 inch
Or something else?

Im looking for 1440p 144hz gsync. Budget is $350 - 700.
These two seem to be the least shitty.

There's always this retard, go back to the Apple/Android shill threads.

>try ordering parts on vuugo
>fight the site to find anything I'm looking for
>wait 30 minutes to load the cart
>page not available
>wait another 30 minutes
>get redirected to paypal
>create account
>transaction failure
>cart gets dumped
>repeat all night
Fuck this stupid site.

>a six phase VRM for a chip that will pull 170W
and these are the people calling intels house fire

New to this, hows this?

it's definitely a computer . . . what do you want to do with it?

Almost exactly what I just got with an extra SSD, but why the fuck are you paying for Windows 10? Just pirate it or another version of Windows.

2D animation and games mostly

c u t e

What is the pros and cons of an M2 SSD vs a SATA SSD?

>$370 for only a 1060
Nigga either find a 1070 on sale for that price, or go for a regular 1060 that's ~200. Or an AMD.

It's in Canadian monopoly money, stuff's pricier but I'll look for something else

Theres 3GB 1060s going for around $260, I'd recommend one of those.

I'm looking to build a computer that would allow me to play upcoming games on medium settings along with run Dolphin, Saturn and PS2 emulators without much of an issue. Could someone give me an affordable build for that?

Check the OP, you nigger

cheap gpu like a 1050ti/1060 and a decent processor with particularly good single core speed for emulation.

do i actually have to update my gpu drivers?

every game for me works fine and ive heard shit about nvidia nerfing their older gpus

>parts are coming ion earlier than expected

damn, i was going to wait till the weekend to upgrade.

thoughts on this au.pcpartpicker.com/product/7VZ2FT/asus-prime-z270-a-atx-lga1151-motherboard-prime-z270-aboard?

tyty

Technically you don't have to unless it solves a problem you are having.

>parts are cheapest on Amazon
>and they don't ship to remote regions
neck me

Is there any disadvantage to pirating windows?

I did your computer but better

so i can uninstall geforce experience and not ruin anything?

if i plan to get a 1080ti
8400 is the best one right?

I didn't attach the image fug

Had to mod my HAF XB to take a rear mounted 240mm AIO, what do you guys think?

Geforce Experience is bloatware unless you like using Shadowplay.

why not front mount?

it looks like there might be a clearance issue with the graphics card

thanks

im really new to owning a dedicated gpu

just to double check, i dont need any programs to ensure that when the gpu gets to a certain temp, the fans will turn on?

I don't think there is
even if that's the issue you can put it on the other side and take the front facing cover off

Nope. In fact you can uninstall the drivers completely without causing hardware issues. Don't do that though because you do actually need them to make good use of your card.

I had it in the front but It only has a single 200mm fan for intake in that config.

This way all of the intake moves in one direction before it would be split between the GPU and AIO, my VRM temps are already lower, though it's not as hot as it was during the day either.

so i assume that gpu's come with drivers pre-installed?

Most OS's have basic video drivers that work regardless of the GPU, they're just very limited.

>1080 + 8400 no problem
>144hz screens >1080p are all but unavailable and cost $1000+ in Aus
FUCK SAKE

well again, i havent manually installed or messed with any drivers since i got the card in june and games seem to work fine so i assume im good

Geforce experience is only required if you want the latest drivers

You'd want an 8700K for proper 144hz gaming anyways man

>poozen

Is it really bottlenecked by an 8400? I really can't see enough difference in benchmarks to justify literally 2x the price

Stop being a poorfag.

its literally 0-5 fps difference in 9/10 benchmarks

If you didn't notice that difference you probably should have just saved money with Ryzen

You can just grab the drivers from Nvidia's website it doesn't require GFE.

Windows, especially W10 will just download and install the Nvidia drivers.

the practically non-existent difference?
>techspot.com/review/1505-intel-core-8th-gen-vs-amd-ryzen/

Ryzen is fucking trash for gaming, stop with this retarded meme.

Should I buy a surge protector for my rig + peripherals?

Care to explain? Especially when using a 1080 tier GPU at 1440p 144hz?

Is $120 for this a good deal?

Not him but Ryzen 1600 and 1700 both have 1% ~5fps behind and average ~20fps behind the i5 8400 in most titles. I've had Ryzen on my build for the last couple weeks but have swapped it having seen the consistent benchmarks against it.

You'll need to install updates manually, but that's a plus at this point considering that Windows 10 will simply go catatonic at will regardless of what you're doing for hours at a time for the bi-weekly updates.

>20fps behind the i5 8400 in most titles
at 1080p, when benchmarked with a 1080ti most likely.

asrock b350 pro4

asrock is simply better, and cheaper.

>CEMU
the wii u is shit and had shit games

Get an ASrock Killer at around $130 if you actually want to push the chip to the limit

the B350 boards need fans on the VRM to even attempt anything, and will suffer from Vdroop.

No that's 1440p with the 1080 because that's what I'm getting. Just google it and look on youtube, there are plenty of benchmarks.

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/XGtBM8
and your thoughts?? ignore the keyboard I'm probably changing it

ASrock Killer if you're going to spend that much.

So link some? I've already looked into this a ton the difference between the 8400 and R5 1600 only really shows up with a 1080ti at 1080 as in this PC gamer benchmark

pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/

But why though?

The cheaper boards have trash VRMs for hitting the highest clocks

the board here isn't even too great I don't think...but there's not much choice in AUS

You know you can get 2 4k 60hz IPS free-sync displays at that price right? They'll scale from 1080p perfectly for harder games

Just flash the Vega 56 to 64 bios which takes 3 seconds and you have 1080 performance with adaptive sync.

Should just go for Ryzen if you're gaming at 60hz, you also don't need all of those fans

PCPartPicker part list: au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCKgVY
Price breakdown by merchant: au.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZCKgVY/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Shopping Express)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($198.00 @ Shopping Express)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($229.00 @ Scorptec)
Storage: Intel - Pro 6000p 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($335.00 @ Umart)
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 56 8GB Video Card ($657.80 @ Skycomp Technology)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.90 @ Shopping Express)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G-750 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($163.90 @ Newegg Australia)
Monitor: LG - 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($629.00 @ Shopping Express)
Monitor: LG - 27UD68-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor ($629.00 @ Shopping Express)
Total: $3210.60

Still tons of room in the budget actually

should go for the ASrock Taichi

AM4 is likely better for the long run as it should last until 2020

au.pcpartpicker.com/product/fZKhP6/asrock-x370-taichi-atx-am4-motherboard-x370-taichi

H7 for CPU cooler
Gigabyte 3-fan 1080
Noctua or be quiet! fans
gahnoo slash linucks
/mkg/

Thanks for the tips mate and I will check those out. I am EXTREMELY limited by the Australian selection, but I'll check those screens. 8/10 monitors available in the US are simply unobtainable here without importing which I do not want to go through. I either get 1080p at 144hz in which case the spec is pointless or I get 1440p at 60hz in which case its pointless too. I'm getting pretty sick of it t bh. I want EVGA for reasons below.
I swapped the H7 out before, thought it would be a little small? Why the gigabyte version? I want EVGA because any Australian vendor is going to give me the finger if I have any issues whereas they will actually help. Noctua fans only come in piss/shit colours seemingly and be quiet! have very low pressure? No doubt I don't need so much though with all these fans so I'll look at those again.

I updated my bios a second time, and my boot time is taking a while or. Any reason for this happening?

Is the asrock taichi good with a 1600x for gaymin?

H7 beats 212 evo in price, performance, size, and pretty much everything. Small =/= bad. I don't know if EVGA males 3fan cards, but ive always had good experiences with Gigabyte and 3 > 1. Be quiet! is fine

>>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)

Why do people keep using the word build? It should always be Learn how to assemble a PC.

That's the AUS part picker

EVGA is fine just don't buy NEX PSUs, go for GQ or G2

If those displays are the same price it's a solid buy, you'll likely never need to replace 4k IPS displays anytime soon. Or get one 1080p 144hz display and a 4k 60hz IPS side display, free-sync should always be cheaper than G-sync.

Thanks mate and I will look into the gigabyte one for sure.
Yeah I just checked and the LG - 27UD68-W is $700 new on ebay (within aus) so that's a solid solution to the screen problem I've been having. Thanks a lot and I'll take a look at the rest now

Buy a 4k monitor now or wait for reasonably priced 4k HDR monitors?

If you end up with Vega, stick to the 56, it performs the same as the 64 when you flash it, puts it right next to the 1080 with the bonus of free-sync on those 4k displays.

>reasonably priced 4k HDR monitors
kek

Just get one now, 27" 4k IPS free-sync displays can be had for around $40, LG makes most of them I think, pretty solid on the 68-W, the cheaper IPS one has a really dim display I think.

I'm an idiot just saw they are cheaper through your list. Also am I right in saying I should swap the ram to the corsair vengeance? I heard that its the best for ryzen chips

>check back into Sup Forums after a year or two
>see /pcbg/
oh ffs, Sup Forums was always shill, but you guys aren't even bothering to pretend anymore.

Samsung B-die is best for Ryzen, but with AGESA 1006b and soon to be 1007 in the BIOS updates, it's better for other things.

I have Ripjaws V 2*8GB 3200mhz CL 16 and it runs at 3066mhz now.

If you want the best still though make sure the RAM is B-die, G.skill's B-die is 3200mhz CL14, they have ryzen specific kits as well under Flare X branding.

Thanks mate. Also I'm not sure about flashing, this is my first ever build believe it or not. I'd rather not get too out of my depth off the bat. Is there a particular reason why I'd be better off getting the vega 64 over the 1080? I ask as going by benchmarks I will definitely be needing that performance for smooth 4k.

1080 and Vega 64 are about the same

It takes like 5 minutes or less to flash Vega 56 and make it perform nearly exactly like 64, it ups the HBM2 voltage to 1.3V making it trivial to hit 1000mhz on the HBM
youtube.com/watch?v=SZFSmtjpF1E

Here's what maxxed out/modded Vega 56 looks like, Vega should also get better with time, it's still missing features in the drivers.
youtube.com/watch?v=KD9CRQp2YpA

You'd want Vega with those displays because they have free-sync to further smooth out gameplay at 4k, just needs to run at medium high instead of high-ultra vs a 1080ti, if you don't care about free-sync shoot for a 1080ti

Thanks again, appreciate the run-down and I'll do some more research into them myself. My last question is with scaling on higher res screens. I know that the image can look less sharp, particularly with gpu scaling when I run at say 1440p instead of 4k (for when I want max settings and a really locked framerate). Is it still going to look decent and sharp with the monitor scaling on one of these 4ks if I did that?

1080p scales perfectly with 4k, that's the resolution you'd want when you have to upscale to hit max settings. Really though just tune the game to hit 60fps at 4k, like drop shadows and reflections, stuff that really doesn't matter.

More modern games have resolution scale sliders as well.

Quality. Cheers

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDNjm8
What can I do to improve this?

You can use the drivers without GeForce Experience.
I'd advise it.

pcpartpicker.com/user/Saski64/saved/4zrzK8

any suggestions to improve while keeping the price the same or lowering it?

I'm looking to build a PC with Ryzen 1200 8GB RAM and a GTX1050Ti

But upon further research I can get a Dell Optiplex 7010 with Core i7 3770 and upgrade that with the RAM and graphics card for 200$ less

Which one should I pick?

>Ivy Bridge
Man sheeit

Explain further