/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Syba-SD-DAC63094-Headphone-Amplifier-Packaging/dp/B00KGK5I38/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1508840269&sr=8-10&keywords=usb dac
amazon.com/External-Adapter-Windows-AFUNTA-drivers/dp/B01LH1NQ9W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508840452&sr=8-3&keywords=usb dac
audiobudget.com/
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub
pastebin.com/QQ4Gp7bQ
pastebin.com/rU7NmbH7
kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/new-sr-3.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Has headphones peaked?

gabriel dropout is bad and you should feel bad for posting it

What did Sennheiser mean by this?

Your taste is bad and you should feel bad for sharing it.

fuck off r/anime casual

What's your setup like?
Idol trash here.

Satania a cute. A cute!!

stop posting you cringy manchild

Sealed or ported subwoofers?

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

depends. there are good designs with either approach, as well as bad ones

Go away lol

The pic+timestamp.

>Budget
$50-70 cad
>Location
Toronto
>Source
laptop, phone, shitty bluetooth adapter
>Type of headphone
IEMs of the same form factor as shure's stuff
>Open or closed
>Comfort level
High enough to wear for a few hours
>Sound signature
Don't really care as I just want these for comfort and isolation but I suppose v-shaped would be nice.
>Past headphones
SPH9500s and crappy iems.

akg k1000

Hello my fellow gents.
Whats the go to cheap disposable earplug right now?
My stack of old Xiaomi Pistons is shrinking.
I need a refill.

The lord thy god in heaven hath given me his blessing to lead ye wretched sinners away from the ignorant lies and injustice of these cursed blasphemers so that you need not languish in torment for hearing the foul cacophanies of your heathen 'phones.

I'm here to tell you boys that the way out of the bottle is clear, and that the true path into righteousness and eternal life points to itself. And that truth, o' my blessed brothers, is the new Sennheiser HD 660 S. Now go, go and thank the mighty father who sheds the blood of his only son that you might be shown his mercy for gifting thee with such a majestic and awesome way to receive his rapture.

I figure you guys would know more about this than /tpg/:
my memepad makes really annoying buzzing, distortions, and other interference type noises from the 3.5mm jack.
Would a usb DAC fix this problem?
If so, what's a good cheap one that would work with linux/pulseaudio?
just looking around amazon I found a bunch that seems like they would work
>amazon.com/Syba-SD-DAC63094-Headphone-Amplifier-Packaging/dp/B00KGK5I38/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1508840269&sr=8-10&keywords=usb dac
>amazon.com/External-Adapter-Windows-AFUNTA-drivers/dp/B01LH1NQ9W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1508840452&sr=8-3&keywords=usb dac

yes, does it stop when you plug the power cable in? if so then it's your computer power saving. a dac will fix that, you can blutack one to the back of your screen. don't get either of those they look like they'll be garbage

I don't know what I meant to say by "if so a dac will fix that". A dac will fix the issue regardless if it's because of power saving or not

Nah it's always buzzing
I think the audio thing isn't isolated well on this 10 year old laptop
Got any recs then? I just have a regular pair of headphones so I dont need anything crazy expensive to drive some crazy set of cans or anything. budget is like 20 bucks or so
Do these things need speciail drivers by the way?

The xx20 series thinkpads and probably anything older have terrible audio circuitry. Definitely recommend an amp+DAC. They started getting better as of the xx30 series and the modern thinkpads might even be halfway decent but don't quote me on that.

>just have a regular pair of headphones so I dont need anything crazy expensive
I don't know I don't really spend that low. A fiio e10k for $50 used maybe?

this is a T500 by the way
fugg 50 is more than I paid for the laptop itself!
What's wrong with the ones I posted? they seem to have good reviews and what not, especially the $20 one

>Do these things need speciail drivers by the way?
also no, linux supports uac1 and uac2. dacs are plug n plug with linux and you can use any of them pretty much. there are some highend dsd ones that you have to build a kernel for but for the most part all of them will work. you may have some weird issues with JACK sometimes with some due to cadence bugs

What happens if you run your headphones straight from a USB DAC and don't use an amplifier?

>>fugg 50 is more than I paid for the laptop itself!
fucking lol.. I have multiple pairs of headphone pads that cost $50 and I have a pair that also costs $100. you'll have to wait for someone else to recommend you but I'd be willing to bed mostly anything will work

any of the ones you posted should work. I use one for my studio monitors and it fixed the problem.

Gotcha, thanks

Don't get the one with the volume pot.

>buying shitty headphones
lol

Just got my HD 600. My god the this was a jump from my Hyper x clouds.

audiobudget.com/

i want to fug gab-chan

you just fucked up

I flashed a different rom (actually just went from MIUI 8.0 to 9.14 or so) and now, on BlackPlayer EX, some songs will be reproduced with extreme bass and low quality and loud, but on PowerAmp, they will be fine. I already tried to reinstall the app and clear all cache.
Has anyone here ever get this shitty error before?

Maybe I should go to /sqt/.

My babies are slightly worn. Should I buy cheap muffs for 5bucks or originals for 30? How steep is the difference in quality? Audiotechnica m50x

>redditphones

pic+timestamp of headphones

I feel fine. Got a week to test them out. Like them so far.

I need a bit of health. I bought a pair of Knowledge Zenith ZS6 but they haven't arrived yet. Some people are complaining that the highs are too high on these iems and overpower the bass and mids. Also there's a bit of sibliance issue. So is there any way to fix these two issues? Pic attached is a picture of the iems. Is there any modding/ anything with software I can do? The grills can be taken off.

y u mad tho

what they look like with grills off

driver configuration

oops forgot image

>That nail

so this is the power of hifiman

post your setup

These are pretty appealing to me because they seem super portable (I'm at my desktop a lot but frequently go for walks and for transit) and I've only ever had $15 earbuds so I figure pretty much any pair of cans that are worth at least $100 would make a noticeable difference.

Is there anything better if I'm willing to increase my budget into the $150-200 range? Should I get some kind of small AMP if I primarily listen to music off my phone? Should I get any replacement pads for these?

>make kind of lowball offer for used HD600 on ebay because why not
>madman actually accepted
welp, guess I own HD600 now

not bad. Here's mine. Thoughts?

for 200$ you could get MSR7 which are considered on /hpg/ to be the best closed back headphones in that price range. They are on the bright side tho, so if you like a more laid back sound, they might not be for you.

enjoy your lice and nu-male grease

switching the pads isn't so hard, user

Decent headphones with replaceable pads for when they get greased up? Can't seem to find anything locally, including the MDR-V6 recommended in another thread.

- over-ear
-

why did I know you weren't going to read the OP lmao

>Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

almost every pair of headphones has replaceable pads to some extent

>Budget
Up to ~100 Euros
>Location
Europe
>Source
Phone/Laptop
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Comfort level
Not a big concern
>Past headphones
Soundmagic E10

I would go for headphones if I could use them while commuting without sound leaking.

etymotic mk5
should be able to get them for 70ish on amazon

for IEMs I think your safest bet is still the hugely outdated guide on the wiki

pastebin.com/QQ4Gp7bQ

as for normal headphones, if it has a decent clamp, closed back and pleather pads, there should be minimal leak at decent volumes

What's the best USB DAC for phones under £80

Did anything interesting come out this year?

If you want a more consumer friendly sound (bassy), then the m50x would be great. If you want something a bit brighter, then the msr7 would be better.

If you don’t mind a warm/bassy sound mdr-1a would be your best bet since they are the most comfortable- making them the best for desktop use. Isolation on them is subpar though

This user here
How does this look?
Main goal is a decent set of cheap portable cans that isolate library noises well and a usb dac to get rid of shitty memepad audio.
would those pads even fit by the way?

Seems pretty obvious

Is a thirty year old stax still good?

Didn't mean to make that post a reply

Why not just get some iems?

That's what I've been using for years now, but I'm "plugged up" for at least like 7 hours a day and it's starting to get uncomortable.
My ear canals are itching now and I'm afraid of hearing loss or an infection.
My board exam is coming up and I literally spend like 10 hours a day on my ass studying, so I need a set of cans that are isolating, sound as decent as my rock zircons and can be worn for a long time (the pads should hopefully take care of this).
I don't need the dac for any audiophile bullshit, the headphone jack on my T500 is very poorly isolated and is always hissing and buzzing with RAM usage

oh and i forgot to mention that im literally 200000 cuckbucks in debt so even those 66 bucks are quite a stretch for me on my 50 dollar budget
I'll probably skip dindins today to even it out if I end up ordering

>Budget
$30
>Location
America
>Source
Prefer Amazon, cause my prime membership runs out today
>Type of headphone
In ear/earbuds
>Past headphones
Apple earbuds

are the beyerdynamic custom studio good for gaming?
how about the dt770 250ohm?
any other options in that price range?

if you're specifically looking for closed, it's one of the best options in that bracket. Large soundstage for a closed back, bass to give explosions some heft, and comfy for long sessions. If you don't mind open: X2, DT990, K712, AD series

Does microphone questions belong here as well?

I recently got a K240 MKII, but I consider adding a mic of some sort, so I can get back on voicechat.
Is the ModMic 4 still a good choice? I consider finding something a little cheaper, but stuff like the Zm-Mic1 looks really cheap/bad.
Got the recommendations from this old paste:
pastebin.com/rU7NmbH7

Thanks!

muffs are made from? different pads can change the response, especially velour, there is also comfort as a consideration
jej
how much did you pay

What makes the HD600 so good?

reddit shills and post purchase rationalization

I don't know, I haven't listened to it.

do the hd598s need an amp?

Who does hd 380 and 280 pro make bigger noise isolation claims than other closed headphones? How are they different designwise to justify this?

bros should I go with this shit or what?

No, it isn't necessary, but it may still benefit from a better audio source

We're not asking for where you like to shop.
"Source" refers to the device which you will be playing your music from, i.e. is it a cheap phone or a fully-fledged hi-fi setup?

Even fifty year old Stax are still good. They generally don't die unless they've been supremely abused. I've got one that's twenty five years old and one that's seventeen and they still perform as good as new.

The most balanced sounding frequency response of any full-sized headphone.

No I mean, are they still competitive?

Any Stax newer than an SR-5 will trounce most anything midrange. You'll want to look at the tone of the models more than the year. A lambda is a lambda is a lambda.

kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/new-sr-3.htm

CLAMP.
No, they aren't.

BROS
HELP ME WITH YOUR AUDIOTISM

Is there any place where i can see gaming headset measurements? I know they suck but i want to see how much.

Can't you just get an M40X with that money? They will sound much better.

>are anything competitive with HD600?
No.

So they're just really tight? Ive had other closed headphones with a pretty stellar seal, so this won't be isolating much more?

is the fiio q1 alright for ath m40x?
on pc they sound good but on phone pretty meh
i need something i can carry around