/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=6f7AN3nUv3o

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1NLVgMlrWU7O2A_UfUObSMX_pW9s9QPbxcTKg-kaulxE/edit?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for One Handed watches. Any good brands outside of Luch?

no but i want that watch

No you don't

Do you actually have that one?
I have never seen the appeal in those myself, but looks alright.

I don't have the one in that picture no. I do have one that looks like that.

GW-5510 came in. Like it way better than my DW-5600.

first for fat seikomaleitis.

Idk why but the black sarb/sarx always look so boring to me. I guess i just like blued hands.

Third for enraged shitposters reposting your watch pictures.

What the hell am I doing with my life?

Also I'm certain I've overpayed a bit for one or two.

implying i give a fuck

jesus man why?

>mfw other people go down the Y! JP Auctions good deal rabbit hole.

You can probably flip them on ebay for double if you wanted

Yeah, I am glad I sold mine for a good price after a year of use.
They are boring watches and their non-coated high reflective sapphire crystals are unbearable. You are better off getting an elegant vintage Omega at that price point desu.

See
That's the plan.

Also three more that were already shipped, all Cosmotrons.

I intend to keep the Hisonic, one Cosmotron and either a Crystron or the Type II. Maybe both a Crystron and the Type II.

I couldn't get an Elnix, Leopard, Jet or LM yet. Fuck, this IS addicting. I don't even think about my little 3133 project anymore.

Luch strong
So basically they just use a ladies watch movement and removed the minute hand while making the hour hand longer?

Does anyone know what happened to the sarb 29?

do all seller ship international? how si the packaging' how much do you usually pay for shipment ? I live in eastern yurop and don't want to be raped twice by the rates and later by the customs

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk thats nice

It's seen some history...

i just got this yesterday.
it's HEAVY and pretty huge.
it's really too early to tell, but it seems to be keeping time close to perfectly.
nice bracelet and it came with one of their rubber straps + a screwdriver and some extra spring bars, polishing cloth and paperwork all in an orange knockoff pelican case
the bezel clicks very crisply and everything seems to line-up ok, especially in comparison to Seiko
my one complaint so far is actually about the bracelet. there's no micro adjustment on it and the bracelet just feels slightly too big.
also: pic of watch on right hand for the autists

I know I'm not supposed to like this because it's not Seiko or Combloc but I can't help but stare at it. Particularly glittering in the sun.

is this bait?

can you post a picture taken from further away in the correct orientation?

Impossible to buy since all their owners will keep them until their death. Most aesthetic Seiko ever. That domes acrylic makes it shine, way superior over shitty and glorified sapphire.

fuck. sorry for upside down
i think i posted this yesterday

Why did they stop making it? Its one of the two Seikos that i want out of every single one i have ever seen. The other one is pic related.

and this next to my SRP777
i like the watch and i feel like it was cheap enough for me to not really be too concerned about the quality.
it does feel nicer, more solidly put together than the two Seikos i have - the other is a 007 and i do like both of them.

RARE

what firm made this?

i gotta say, that green is pretty ugly on the dial and band.

>i gotta say
why? just to be a dick?

I don't own that and i would not wear it on that strap but the dial probably looks incredible in the sun.

First Moscow watch factory

I don't think it makes any sense to compare a brand new $350 steel bracelet sports watch to a vintage Omega that will have to be researched, serviced post-purchase, treated with care in terms of shocks, and for which there won't be a good steel bracelet option.

Also the SARX line has a double AR crystal which will have minimal reflectivity. On the SARBs the cream dial of the SARB035 will tend to show reflections on the crystal much less than the black dial of the SARB033 would, and both crystals are far less reflective than something like a Tissot Visodate.

that looks robust as fuck post dial shots when you can!

Not my piece, just telling the you what reads on the movement.

Here ya go.

A 36mm, acrylic dome, dauphene hand, baton indices modern Seiko?! Whelp, you guys just found my next watch. The only question is whether I end up getting the SARB029 or the SARB031.

Yahoo.jp doesn't deal with the gaijin. That's what Buyee is for, it's a proxy service. You win and auction on Y.jp through Buyee, and the item is shipped to their warehouse in Japan. Then Buyee ships the item to you. The costs that you'll have to pay are usually:
>price of the watch
>domestic shipping fee (from Japanese seller to Buyee's warehouse in Japan)
>some handling fees to Buyee
>international shipping (from Buyee to you)
Shipping method can be from EMS, which is fast, insured, but also expensive and customs officer bait to normal cheap airmail.

I also live in East-Yurop (Hungary), and customs already caught my EMS package. Now I'm trying regular airmail, see if that slips through and how slow it is. EMS is about 2200JPY and airmair around 900JPY.

thanks m8. Nice peice.

Sorry for the orientation. Its correct in the original thumbnail. I think the box is new but the watch is definitely from 56.

Nice Poljot De Luxe homage

Nope to share my opinion, some could see that as being a dick I guess.

Yes, after taking a second look I'm gonna have to agree with you.I don't think that pic does the polished metal any justice.

>some could see that as being a dick I guess.
k
just seems like a dick post user.
but thanks for caring/sharing

I think that was just the guy's opinion but i can see how you could think that i suppose.

ok fine.
hey user, sorry that i thought you were being a dick.
i'm sure you're a nice guy

Where did you get that from? Family heirloom or something?

How badly did you get slav'd in the end with that movement?

Online off a guy in Ukraine.

I really need to get a Perlon for my 710.

I kind of like it with the gold accents. It reminds me of that sort aesthetic that law offices used to have in the late 80s and 90s with the green marble, mahogany, and brass. Like, the image of a banker's lamp on a big ass solid mahogany desk in some stuff executive office.

Kinda bad, the drunk watch-destroyed who "serviced" it did a lot of damage, but I managed to fix most of it. I'll try to get rid of it as a parts donor, since 90% of parts are good.

I'll just get a used Sturmanskie instead, but I don't even trust Russians anymore, let alone Ukrainians. I'll try to find one from a Belorussian or a Bulgarian.

the feels just hit hard with this description. I miss some 90's aesthetics.

Somone post the price range chart please. I've just been using a F-91W up until now and I want to upgrade, but I can't decide if I want a Casio with more features or something a bit more like

this is outdated as fuck im gonna make a new one of these when i have time but it will be far shittier than this in terms of production value. Then you guys can tell me why i am retarded and ill edit the fucking thing.

Rubber strap recs?

>obris Whoregan
>Squeal
>Hamilton khaki
This is nothing more than a meme list. Looks old as dirt too. Needs to be updated to an only S E I K O list.

>Needs to be updated to an only S E I K O list.
this but unironically

This guide was already here when I arrived to /wt/ some three years ago. HMT and Bagelsport for instance should definitely be taken off the guide, they're useless as watches.

There should be a list of just affordable Jap/korean watches.
No chinese shit tho. Swiss industry is too bloated to have true affordable watches.

seagul chrono desrves a spot

Yeah but its hard to determine actual Sea-gull vs all those fake companies printing sea-gul.

Really nice watch, OP.
Pic related is the first actual watch I've ever bought. It was a gift for my gf and I really really like the design. What do you think?

you can order direct from them or from a certified distributor.

Thanks. Is there anything that has the same simple and clean look as the Visodate but is water resistant? Or is that not a thing? Don't know shit about watches desu

Funnily enough I have not had problems with Ukrainians.
Why didn't you just return the movement?

It looks so horrible. You should send it to me so i can just throw it away. Ill pay shipping. please.

I opted to keep it as a practice movement to get some experience on a mechanical chronograph.

>watch purchases
That's not why we're posting it.

Thanks user.
Clean and simple design, I like that.

alright you fucks comment away

docs.google.com/document/d/1NLVgMlrWU7O2A_UfUObSMX_pW9s9QPbxcTKg-kaulxE/edit?usp=sharing

Can anyone here tell me about pic related? How much is it worth? Is it decent watch or cheap knock off? Should I change bracelet if I plan to wear it?

Also, how much would it cost to replace the glass and clean it up a bit?

Keep the watches under 1k and state your case

when a reasonable list emerges I will make a chart

new watches only no vintage on this chart

>google
Not signing in with one of my google accounts to shitpost on 4chins.
Also too lazy to make a throw away.

make comments here then doesn't matter to me

running list as of now

Casio MQ24-1E
Casio AE1200WHD-1A
Casio GW-5510-1BJF

Vostok Amphibian 420059

Seiko SKX 007/013
Seiko Sarb 033 and 017

Seagull 1963 Chronograph 6345G-2901

Hamilton Intra-matic auto

Marathon WW194026
Marathon WW194003SS

add or remove anything make a case

thanks for the thorough explanation user!

Poljot/Luch 2209

oris classic date, Seiko sarb033/sary075/any seiko5, tissot le locle/everytime, Longines hydroconquest, Junghans maz bill quartz/manual wind, Laco 1925 altenburg

Theyre a micro brand but The tisell Bauhaus and sub homage are pretty good quality imo.

Nice vintage Girard Perregaux. They were an excellent production watchmaker in the period before the quartz revolution. After the quartz revolution they moved upmarket and become a haute horlogerie brand which is how they are known today.

>Adam Savage paid $600 for a modded SNK
Real shame finding out that he's a Seiko Male.

no used watches will make seperate chart of that

holy fuck thats a lot man i want to keep this simple just pick the best of those (new under 1000 usd)

the koraen divers and dress watches. Ill add that and then we can all vote on the finished list

you guys can also edit the link i posted im going for a drive now ill bbl

>Mechanical watches in 2017
>Pointlessly inaccurate.
>Pointlessly complicated.
>Pointlessly heavy.
>Pointlessly bulky.

You guys are fucking luddites. You know you can get a decent looking watch with a modern movement, like a Citizen Ecodrive right?

>Paying $800+ for a Longines Hydroconquest with a 2824-2 Elabore

>wow you guys are moronz for liking something i dont liek!! hehehhe lololol!

>applying a voltage to a nearly microscopic tuning fork and literally counting all 32 THOUSAND vibrations each second every second all day long to within like 99.999% accuracy
>unwinding a simple metal spring so slowly and carefully that you can use it to measure time to within 99.5% accuracy
>controlling the unwinding of a metal spring with a completely self-contained unit that stores energy, generates electricity from it, and uses that electricity to power a circuit to regulate itself
>take an atomic clock and shrink it down so much you can wear it
All watches are TECHNOLOGY as fuck and if you don't think they're cool you should get the fuck out of my face
t. user last thread
I agree with him, do you feel good about yourself choosing to go out of your way to post about how you don't like something in a thread you chose to enter that's about that thing?

>luddites = moronz
Good display of insecurity there dipshit.

At least the autists in /mkg/ can make the argument (valid or not) that their keyboards are actually more effective or better in practice in some way. All you guys have is "muh craftsmanship". I totally understand the appeal of having the best of something, in form, function, fit, etc. With a watch, I could justify learning enough about it to make an educated decision on purchasing a quality timepiece. Even two, or maybe three because it's also a fashion accessory and shouldn't clash with your outfit.

You guys with 10+ watches that are all less precise than a simple quartz watch though are no better than the people who collect old IBM's, Coca Cola memorabilia, or anime figurines. It's not "technology" in the spirit of the board any more than chipped obsidian knives are technology. Fuck out of here with your luddite /fa/ crap.

there is literally nothing wrong with being a luddite

>Intentionally limiting yourself to objectively inferior methods for no reason but pure vanity.

Why are you feeding an obvious shitposter (You)s?

Nice. What caliber movement?

I really just posted that quite because I thought it was a good edition to the thread. Just happened there was a retarded here to completely miss the point of it.

>quite
quote. I need more coffee.