Is programming a lifelong investment?

>0 (zero) knowledge about programming
>try codecademy's python course
>don't understand anything it's basically "copy this code changing this stuff and click next"
>come to a halt on certain lesson
>next day I forget everything, think I'm a brainlet and programming is not for me
>1 year after
>stumble upon some obscure website with a two page C explaination
>oh wow, this must be some top stuff, I couldn't even get python
>actually explaining everything detailedly starting from the basics to the point I recall the code without effort because my brain has made the appropiate conexions between the code and what I want to do
>feels easier and more logical than python
>do next step to a hello world
>so far so good
>remember things being posted here about needing about half your lifetime to properly learn C or C++
>consider that I don't really want to invest that much time, but I'm still intriged at programming
>don't want to waste time learning more if I'm not willing to commit fully

dont bother if you dont have a degree

I learned to program with C from scratch and it took me only 6 months to really get it.

Codecademy is the best anti programmer deterrent.

Or have connections in the field that will get you in a good position regardless of Degree

>me

yes

people love to hire people like you because you are cheap and they know that they can do whatever they want with you because youll take everything they throw even eat shit to secure that job

pathetic nigger

Nope not how it goes at all
>has Cyber security job
>Makes 110K a year
>Doesnt have degree

Dont get me wrong i plan on moving up and around (and possible an associates) but trust me you dont need a college degree in the field of computers.

nice mr robot larp

back to redxdit

Fuk reddit. Fuk Mr.Robot. All fake shit.

I apologise, user. I didn't realise you were telling the truth.

thank you user lmao

>Cyber
LMAO larper
If you don't have an ida license you aren't in security

what about making webshites and apps ?
like what is usefull outside the normal wageslave and wagemaster shit ?
how usefull is to learn programing for someone who wants to be independent?

even if you just learn a bit of programming and do small projects for a hobby it will be helpfull eventually in your life if you are going for literally any kind of STEM major.

Probably the most important question is: how old are you user?

Also,
>half your lifetime to properly learn C or C++
Can't tell about C++, but C is by far the simplest language that exists today. The fact that it's really powerful is another subject, but sintactically it is the easiest one.

Oh Im licensed user, i have many cyber security certifications and one of those ida license
Employer needed me to get that done first, still didnt have to get in 70k debt for some stupid piece of fucking paper, pleb.

depends, freelancing is very fucking hard to do because you need to compete against all the Indians and Chinese who work for absurdely low wages. So the only chance is to provide quality over quantity. For that you need a good portfolio and you need to market yourself right. And still in my personal experience freelancing is really hard and unless you get to the point where you are well known it is a struggle. Once you have created a certain brand around yourself and you have all the templates and similar projects you probably have the easiest job in the world because 90% of people will just hire you to customize your pre-built wordpress theme and pay you good money for literally 30min of work. But getting to that point is hard af.

Apart from freelancing app developement can be fun but you will need to do it for a while until you can actually create quality apps that are worth anything. Once again competition is hard so you need to first acquire the needed skills and then have a good and innovative idea so you have your own niche and not as much competition. Then you could theoretically make a lot of money.. or none depending on how good your idea really was.

Define what you mean by independant ? Making money or just making your/others lifes easier ?

C++ can definitely be learned in 2-3 years to a decent degree. You wont have deep insight into specific use cases or libraries but you will have a general knowledge and together with google and maybe a bit of guidance from more experienced devs you should be more or less fine.

If you have previous experience with stuff like Java then it's easy as fuck to learn C++ and you can definitely do it in a few weeks/months depending on how much programming experience you have overall.

Certs mean absolutely nothing
If you aren't doing VR you aren't doing security

Codecademy is absolute trash. I don't know why anyone would recommend it. The codecademy python course teaches you about classes and OOP two hours after you've written your first "hello world" program. Beginners can barely understand the concept of a function, why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Don't feel bad about forgetting any of the shit from codecademy. Python is a pretty simple, logical language but codecademy is so shit, they could make programming with scratch feel like programming with machine code.

Keep going with C user, if you find it easier and more logical, you'll have a much easier time transitioning to other languages later on.

In terms of lifelong investment, that depends. Depends on what you want to do and how far you want to go with it. If you work with anything involving computers, I'd say basic programming knowledge is a good skill to have even if your day job isn't going to be programming per-say. I don't think anyone really regrets learning to program.

>>try codecademy's python course
>>don't understand anything it's basically "copy this code changing this stuff and click next"
this
anyone vouching for these codecademy et al. shit is a moron and should fuck off

no1 vouches for them

but since you dont even know how to write a basic modulo, you are better off just reading whatever for 6 months to get used to the termsn

where is the money in programing user?

honestly your best bet is to just get a CS degree or something similar and then get a job at a good company. and then work your way up maybe into more project management related stuff rather than only programming. end goal would be to work for one of the big 4 if you are after money because they tend to pay more than other companies, alternatively the automotive industry also pays really well (atleast here in germany).

apart from that freelancing is hard as a programmer because there is a lot of competition so you should probably get some experience first before you jump into that shark tank. I cant say much about self employment but if you have a really good idea and know the right people you could create or join a startup just be aware that those endevours are inherently more risky.

I dont want to discourage you, programming is probably one of the fields where you can theoretically have the most success from your moms basement but it's hard work. the guys that create indie games and make millions usually spend thousands of hours on it and have previous experience. I guess it's somewhat similar to Youtube, anybody can be really successfull but the competition is immense. So probably best to get a job, acquire the skills and then do your own thing if you REALLY have a good idea.

also if you already have experience as a programmer and are confident in your skills the easiest way to become a millionaire right now is to create something that uses the blockchain to market a new cryptocurrency. It's ridiculous how just vague ideas can turn into multi million $ projects and make all the initial developers rich.

You definitely would need a few other people to start such a project but with a good idea that hasnt really been done, a few developers, someone who can build awesome websites and a highly skilled marketing guy the potential to become a millionaire is definitely there.

But again it's risky and you would probably need atleast some connections to people that actually know their shit when it comes to blockchain applications which is hard to find.

I have a VR headset so I most certainly am.

someone is butthurt that he fell for the comp sci meme you don't need a degree to have a tech job you need projects and by the way have you brushed the dust off your degree yet ? hahahahahahahaha......

What would you recommend? I've made stops and starts with python over the years and always ended up quitting on codecademy/similar courses. Should I just buy a book? I'd really appreciate some advice!

OP here, I'm 23. Thing is, I wouldn't learn for the money because I don't really end up coding some bussiness shit for some multinational, I'd rather have my own projects and stuff, but I don't really want to put like 20 years on it.
What's the point of learning C++? Isn't C turing complete too?
>Codecademy is absolute trash.
Strongly agree, it was a total let down. I didn't know what the fuck I was doing, it was literally copypasting code and switching some contents here and there.

coursera's course is pretty dope, you can try a standarb book for your language of choice once
you finished there and your up to go in the world of
coding , be safe mate

Same I've always been meaning to learn python but code academy sucked balls.
Any suggestions where can I get a good start?

It's not about the language, you just don't like codecademy's teaching style. You said you liked the long explanation for C, so just read a python book.

unless it's webdev, they'll take anyone.

Go on libgen and pirate one for free, it's a direct download site, so it's not even illegal in most countries.

I've been doing the MIT python/cs intro course on edx and it's been pretty good.
I'm also a CS student, but since my school is pretty shit I accomplished the same in 2 hours on edx which took 16 hours in my real school for others.

Any advice on what I need to know before getting a CybSec job? Is there an entry-level cyber security job? Or are you expected to be able to do high-tier shit from the start?

I'm getting into programming with c# because programming vidya and stuff
Is that a good start?
Is there another language I should start with?

UE4 uses C++, and that's the most popular engine at the moment. I think there is a way to use C# instead though.