Discussion: Smart tv's

Discussion: Smart tv's

Is it still possible to find a new, modern television made this year or last year that isn't a smart tv?

Every time I go to an electronics store, there isn't a single tv that isn't a "smart tv" except for much older models that are smaller than 32 inches

I just want a nice display. Why are these smart tv's being shoved down our throats like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock
youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GLoVtbKL1fk
lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor
youtube.com/watch?v=A48AJ_5nWsc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How can we monitor what you're doing if every appliance in your house isn't connected to the internet?

I would just buy a good computer monitor and use it as a TV.

Idk. My TCL Roku is decent and it was cheap as fuck

That's the sad reality of it. Feels like everything has too much excess. I already have seven devices that can stream Netflix and YouTube. I just want everything to be simple. I don't want a TV that needs to install updates, for crying out loud.

>computer monitor
>no sound
>no TV tuner
>no remote
>just use it as a teevee bro

What's it like buying a TV in 2017?
My TV is close to 10 years old now, it has 2 HDMI, coax, VGA, component, and 3 composite inputs.
It also didn't ask me to agree to a long winding EULA about how I agree to have my user metrics sold to the highest bidder.

Do new TVs even have composite in?

Expect to pay 600 for a decent barebones HD flat screen TV

Ultra 4k and all that shit is 1000+

Tvs havnt really changed much... Just got thinner and thinner that's all. And better quality of course.

Just don't connect it to the internet

this. my vizio came with a tablet remote to cast shit and I just use a roku and tivo and don't use any smart functionality on the TV itself.

>using a TV's laptop tier speakers
>using the TV tuner to watch shit tier cable
>implying you can't buy a remote for a PC

For non-TV devices you can just plug them in with a HDMI hub and into a separate HDMI splitter that reroutes audio wherever you'd like.
If you have a small living space, you can consolidate your entertainment area with your computer desk by using your monitor as a TV.
If you actually want to watch broadcast TV, there's ways around that too, but why?

There are even baking maschines with wifi build in. And people still buy it.

wifi appliances are pretty convenient DESU but the pain in the ass of connectivity and the fact that the software on them largely sucks are major downers.

you can tell a lot just by electricity usage from a smart reader, and most states/utilities don't give an opt out

smart tv's are only good for the usb support
its fucking nice plugging in a usb drive and being able to play mkv videos and whatnot

I have a 4k LG with webOS. Never use the smart features besides Netflix
Damn thing can't play 4k videos encoded in h265 so I either have to build a HTPC that can or get something like an Nvidia Shield TV

do they support HEVC?
I end up reencoding all my h265 anime just so it'll play on my fire TV, I even wrote a script to repackage the mkv containers with the re-encoded stream.

sony doesn't put Cinavia watermark detection on their TVs like they did on the PS3?

i stopped buying sony Tvs after my DLP TV from them took a shit (well, I bought a 3D TV for very cheap from them in 2011 in exchange for waiving my right to sue over the rear projection HDTV being a massive fire hazard).

Fug, I still have a Sony rear projection DLP

sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/sonyrearprojectionlcdtv-opticalblock
documents the whole saga, sony was selling tvs for $2,000+ when they knew they were all going to die

If some people really need it or at least think they do, fine by me. I just dont really see the appeal of wifi in machines like that. Or wifi in my car. They sell it as if it's nessessary to be connected with your car.

here
also here's where the bulb was, note the discolored wiring (red wire turns brown, discoloration from heat)
the plastic around the housing was also deformed from the heat

I didn't know this was such a big issue. It's been like 12 years though doubt I can do anything now

They ended the discount program in 2011
if you're fine with the picture quality keep using the TV
if you get weird colors or bluriness or whatever the optical block cannot be repaired economically and you're better off buying a new tv

>tell my dad not to buy such an expensive TV in 2014 because new tech is just around the corner
>he spends $10k on an 80" LG IPS panel
>fast forward 3 years
>you can buy 80" 4k panels with HDR for $3k
>for $6k-$8k you can get an OLED wallpaper screen

You want a panel and you want to order online.

Buy a smart tv and remove the wireless card.

I'm just going to get a PC monitor, build an small HTPC, and hook my 2.1 soundbar up to it.

>TV won't pass POST check because missing components

good going

Why would that happen? At least on laptops it doesn't.

laptops aren't TVs

the firmware probably panics if something is missing on startup because they don't expect or want you to remove bits and pieces, especially not the wifi card that allows them to monitor you

Well you don't know that for sure so i think OP should try it and let us know if it works.

I think all 4k TV's are smart
Though if you don't actually fall for the 4k meme there are plenty of 1080p TV's out there that aren't smart

4k isn't a meme, you're just poor

>I paid a thousand dollars for a difference I can only detect when I hold two TV's next to one another and squint
Stop projecting your TV induced poverty onto me

Keep shitposting poorfag

They really don't produce dumb TVs any more?

I bought myself some early 2010s Samsung ~50 inch TV and got it one of those chink 4-core android TV boxes. Was pretty comfy.

>go over to my gf's place
>60 inch samsung 'smart' TV
>restricted out the ass
>ads everywhere

Wow, her parents must be happy for paying 5x what I did

Samsung is cancer. Stick with LG on the high end or Vizio on the low end

Tell me more about these panels.

It makes a difference if it's large enough and you're not too far away. Also they go for like 800, maybe less now

You know the funny thing is that this is what poor people kept saying when HDTV's were introduced into the market.

And even smart fridges. Why does a fridge have to be a smart device?

We should murder rape these Jews

So the NSA can backdoor it and spy on you

Or worse, this thing:

youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

i can't believe data mining and the cloud meme has been around so long you can go back 10 years and find people shitting on it already
youtube.com/watch?v=GLoVtbKL1fk

my samsung "smart tv" used to be able to play youtube and browse the internet but a recent update removed them because they were "no longer supported". the big youtube icons are still there though.

I just bought the TV in OPs pic for $400

Good fucking deal

nice find

IoT NSA botnet

No. Rent a truck, go to the thrift store, and bring home the biggest CRT you can find. Even if you don't use the "smart" features of a smart TV the software it runs slows it down to a crawl.

>43 inch
monitor
>remote

lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

>They really don't produce dumb TVs any more?
Normies were too dumb to connect their laptops to their TV with a HDMI cable or install a chromecast/amazon tv/apple tv so this shit is what we got.

a-at least games look good on it

you can consider this as dumb TV

>tfw the TV doesn't read the HDD
I'm guessing 4TBs must be more than the TV can handle. I'll probably have to partition the fucker if I want it to work

I would say most do not support h265 from what I've known. Don't know if its different on 4k tvs, though.

depends on the age of the tv I guess
I have 2 samsung smart tvs, one from 2011 and one from 2014. The 2011 can't read GPT drives so that rules out anything larger than 2TB. My 2014 can use GPT, though.

>computer monitor
>>no sound
Funny cause mine has sound with this and I can buy a digital usb tuner if I wanted.

2012. I'm assuming it probably won't since it doesn't read HDDs as much as reads the files in them if that makes sense. Honestly, it'll be easier if I just use a smaller portable to watch shit and move files into there as necessary. Or set up an old laptop as a dedicated home media rig.

>there are people here seriously suggesting to use monitors over TVs
Enjoy your shitty contrast and colors.

>watching tv

This is gonna be a post addressing most of what has been discussed so far.

Buying a good PC monitor is the best option, it is multi-purpose and will satisfy basically every viewing need you could possibly have, along with having superior panels. The only thing it can't do is be put in a living room to entertain 5+ people, which is what those of us who go outside are usually looking for. Something in the 55" - 75" range would be good, larger is welcome, smaller is not.

So that leaves you with the need to buy a TV, but how do you choose a good 4K HDR TV? The price range for set's with this stuff is anywhere from $800 to $8000, literally.
I know the difference lies in panel technology, contrast ratio, form factor and all that shit. But at a bare minimum, a great panel would be something with little to no light bleed, OLED preferably if you don't have to fork over more than a semester's tuition for it.

So we can't get a TV with modern day specs without it being an NSA tap, let's get over it for the moment and just not connect the bitch.

The speaker system on a TV shouldn't matter, only fucking plebs don't connect it to their tube amps and shit. Good or decent sound is a plus though.

So far, the best brand seems to be LG. Sony doesn't have much selection and I don't know anything about Samsung or other brands.

Post some suggestions and let's figure this shit out.

Best I've been able to find is LG's OLED65C7P
>4K
>OLED
>65"
>HDR-Dolby Vision
>Dolby Atmos Sound

>Is it still possible to find a new, modern television made this year or last year that isn't a smart tv?
No

>Why are these smart tv's being shoved down our throats like this?
The NSA. Not even kidding. There's absolutely no way the panels are cheap enough to sell a 4K 55" TV for $600.

>want a 42' dumb tv for my room without spending alot
>Every tv is +500usd smart tv
The software is laggy and restricted asf.
I literally just want a youtube-netflix-spotify machine reeeee

If you're not worried about viewing angle or input lag you can get cheap DLP TVs off craigslist.

>LG's OLED
You supporting an LG OLED is the funniest thing in this thread. Be sure it also has a google logo!

youtube.com/watch?v=A48AJ_5nWsc

what's the point in owning a tv if we can't data mine you?

LG's "Model Number"

I'm specifying which of LG's TV's I'm talking about, not that LG invented OLED or whatever the fuck you're trying to say you freaking coke baby.

>2000$ TV
>input lag out the ass
>picture look like shit
>tons of motion blur
>filled with botnet bloat

How is that shit even legal