New to AMD/Radeon

Hi Sup Forums,

I am looking to make the switch from Intel/NVIDIA to AMD/Radeon. I just need some info to get me started, i.e. meaning of names/naming schemes, best starter GPUs, etc. Also, a somewhat unrelated question, are GPUs named in regards to when they are released (example, GTX 1050 came before the 1070, 1080 was after the 1070, etc.) or from low-end to high-end? Thanks.

www.google.com

Dont nother intel nvidia is better

Already tried that, fucko.

What's your budget?
Radeon cards are overpriced right now, I'm talking about RX 470/570/480/580. RX Vega is simply not worth buying at all.
You should typically go for a 1060 6GB (not the 3GB one), if you want 1080p 60 fps at maxed out settings. 1070 for 1440p 60 fps, 1080 or 1080 ti for 4k 60 fps.

I'm not here to discuss which is better, I just want answers.

Read the rules before you get banned kiddo, or maybe just take it back to

He won't get banned, the thread will be 404d at worst.
OP, next time go to

Best GPU amd offers for the value is the rx 4/580. Good luck buying one though.

My budget is no more than ~$150. I'm looking to play games like BF4, ARMA 3, and Rust at 30 FPS with Medium-High settings. Nothing too special.

Appreciate that.

Check out a RX 560 or a GTX 1050. Don't go lower than that. If you find a super cheap GTX 960 or some shit immediately go for it.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind.

hawaii architecture: R9 series, R9 240 to r9 290X,

Fiji arc: r9 fury and r9 fury x

new naming scheme since
Polaris arc: Radeon RX 400 series, RX 460 to RX 480

refresh arc with slight semiconductor improvements:

Polaris XT: Radeon RX 500 series, RX 550 to RX 480

current high-end lineup

Vega arc: Vega 56 and Vega 64, no custom cooler variants available at the moment...

next arc coming august 2018 called Navi which will introduce an entirely new architecture which basically fuses multiple gpu chips, kinda like multiple cores on a cpu, via infinity fabric technology

comletely forgot the Hawaii XT refresh R9 300 series lol

Appreciate that.

Don't switch. Stick with intel and Nvidia for now. AMD cpu are all shit except ryzen and apperently threding sucks on those. Not to mention Nvidia is just makes a better GPU, with the use of cuda cores.

He doesnt know that thought. He probably thing gee mods are nazis like they are on Sup Forums

AMD makes good CPUs since ryzen but their GPU game is still awful poo in loo shit
Just get ryzen and 1070 and you're set for the next 10 years

then try not being a fucktard

AMD/Intel are the only option on Linux

Don't even think of trying to use Nvidia on Linux. Nvidia hates free and open software with a passion. You will have nothing but headaches trying to get Nvidia hardware, especially the newer shit, working in Linux.

Rx 480/580 = GTX1060
Anything beyond that, go AMD. NVidia is shit because fucking fine wine baby.
All cards to consider beyond RX, in this order: Fury, R9 380, R9 290
Vega 56 >= GTX1070
Vega 64 ~ GTX1080
There is no GTX1080TI comparison. However, Vega drivers may close the gap but you have to waitâ„¢
AMD hates overwatch. If you play overwatch, AVOID.
AMD loves linux, it's free
Speaking of free, FreeSync is your friend. If for whatever reason you have G-sync don't even fucking bother with AMD and buy a 1080TI you fucking faggot.

hey friendo, thanks for the effort. definitely reading the documentation and applying some of the insights on my LTSB.