Other urls found in this thread:

win2k.dyniform.net/windows-2000-update-pack.html
blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's old and not as aesthetic as 95 or 3

Not free software.

It is not Windows Millenium

you unplug a usb drive with "safe removing" and it corrupts all your data. Also no wifi support.

EOL

I can't.
It was good. Better than XP even if I have more nostalgia for XP.
I miss it and no linux distro or new version of Windows will be able to replicate the feeling.

I miss firing up my machine, making a cup of tea while it booted and then coming back and going on my favourite forums and chatting with friends on AIM and IRC.

SSD memers will never know this feel.

Sadly, this.

>AIM

To me XP works as a shorthand for a hundred other stories of that stage of my life. Like when me and my friends used to give each other giant piles of CDs to rip in the awful .wma format. I've still got some of them somewhere in my TBs of hard drives in the drawer.

Discontinued.
>cry deeply

Only an issue if you want to go online. It could even be argued that it's so old that the viruses out in the wild simply wont work on it.

My god was this shit buggy...

M U H A E S T H E T I C

DOS/Windows+Win32s was cancer, looking back at it. My compiler toolchain can target NT 3.5, but cannot target Windows 9x at all!

this still happens. At least Windows 2000 would warn you of the possibility. (I disable write caching for USB mass storage, so the warning box is harmless.)

wasnt prepared for these feels, it was gr8, used it until XP got sp2. wish I could find some screenshots

After sp2 that came out around 2001 it was literally XP without the bullshit, and ran flawlesly on 128 ram

Renders fonts and scrollbars in the kernel. Global scheduler lock. Terrible command line interface.

>Renders fonts and scrollbars in the kernel
What's wrong with this, besides "it doesn't look pretty"?

>You can't got back.

It means he can't rice it like the cool kids.

It's closed source and a bit buggy. I still like it though.

There's actually a great thread on 8ch /tech/ about this Japanese NEET that's writing drivers for Windows 2000.

From that thread:
>A japanese autist is writing kernel extensions and API wrappers for the Windows 2000 kernel. Using his extensions, you can run modern browsers/software. He's also modifying chipset drivers and backporting security updates, though I wouldn't rely on it for anything mission-critical.

>You install your favorite flavor of Windows 2000 (from CD for extra authenticity)
>You install SP4 and a bunch of security rollup hotfixes
>Install every update from this pack: win2k.dyniform.net/windows-2000-update-pack.html
>Get the latest version of KernelEx from the Japanautiste blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

Mechanical hard drives (the 2.5 inch ones) last a lot longer than SSDs and have a better cost to storage space ratio. Even if SATA SSDs got to be as cheap as mechanical hard drives I would still use HDDs for backups and long term storage. I have an 80GB HDD from 2004 that I pulled from a laptop that still contains backups and install ISOs of Windows 98SE. I had left it unplugged since 2009 and I hooked it up with a cheap SATA to USB adapter earlier this year and all of my data was intact. I used the ISO to install Windows 98SE in QEMU.

Modern software doesn't run on it.

See Some of it does.

>Also no wifi support

What it doesn't support is WPA2 out of the box, but you just use a third party application and problem solved.

>some of it
If 2000 ran all the software and games 7 runs I'd switch to it in a heartbeat.

That is literally impossible because Windows 2000 is still x86 only.

And that's why it's flawed.

It isn't flawed for not supporting an architecture that was invented 3 years later, it just doesn't fit your needs.

I have it on my Thinkpad and works flawlessly for everything I use.

It is like saying a Super Nintendo is flawed because it can't play Game Cube games, it is not supposed to.

Progress bar is off center, text should not count as part of the width of the progress bar. Text should really be placed somewhere else.

a grand total of three patches to gcc's c++ runtime allows me to target _at least_ Windows 2000 for C++, and NT 3.5 for C and Fortran. And this includes C++17!

>NT Technology
>New Technology Technology

The whole fucking front page is full of cancer right now. There's your flaw

its proprietary and modern programs do not run on it

I remember it took a long time for Dark Age of Camelot to load when I was playing it on my crappy IBM desktop I had as a kid.

i miss it too but those days are gone, we have to let them go, 2000 was a peak, one of many

We have a winner.

I got my free copy (a long with many many parts) in high school because they stored everything in desk cabinets beside all the computer stations. They were locked up but you could stick your hand under the desk and reach in through a 4" gap and whatever you could pull through was yours.

>implying

>Modern software doesn't run on it.
This.

Old Cigarette's patches and a PE header editor only took me so far.

You got to admit, everything kinda fit together well.

>flaw
We're using the vernacular / being sloppy in our wording.
Using it in the sense of "fly in the ointment".

>gif wallpaper
This brings me back.
The Classic Windows interface was undoubtedly Microsoft's best attempt at UI design. Everything was consistent and well-made, and it all fit together very well. 7 comes close, but a few icons are still from the Classic era and occasionally you get programs that use the old "unthemed" controls.

didnt the source code for win2k get leaked ages ago ?

what happened ?

Holy shit everything matches.
):

>literally uses the same interface as 95 but isn't built on a shit codebase only retards wearing nostalgia goggles hold in high regard
>unironically thinking Windows "just 16 color palette my shit up" edition actually looks good
>you unplug a usb drive with "safe removing" and it corrupts all your data
doesn't happen
>Also no wifi support
what are drivers
nobody gives a shit about popping exploits microshit patched ten years ago on some random faggot's novelty shitbox hidden behind a firewall

>I miss firing up my machine, making a cup of tea while it booted and then coming back
if you really miss it then set some delays into your core drivers loading pattern. you dont miss long loads. youre an idiot for thinking you do

>being this autismo
it's called reminiscing back to simpler times in which everything still felt new and special. yearning and mourning over what has passed.

Ayyyyy lmao

>it's called reminiscing back to simpler times in which everything still felt new and special
yeah, which he did by mentioning irc/aim.

there is nothing to reminisce about three minute boot times and it freezing mid boot every tenth time, and you wouldnt even know until you cracked the shits and power cycled it. fuck yourself.

meant without clicking safe remove. And yes it does happen and it's the OS fault for not handling cache properly, win7 does a fine job

nope, not even without it
I pull flash drives out of my 2K systems all the time without giving a fuck and nothing happens, same for NT4 and 9x too

It didn't support some 3.1/9x softwares.

are your flash drives ntfs? because my 32gb usb drive got completely corrupted after I unplugged it from my win2k machine, wasn't even accessing/copying anything

mixed, mostly use FAT for Macs and the occasional 9x system
pretty damn sure I've had no issues removing them without safe ejecting on at least 5 different systems

RPC DCOM

why u so mad tho

When registry hive (WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM) outgrows 10MB win2000 will no longer boot. This limitation was never fixed.

>there is nothing to reminisce about three minute boot times

well, yeah, maybe not those things specifically, but he's has a feeling of nostalgia that's linked to multiple shit surrounding said stuff, like his living situation, friends, lovers, etc

Don't be a vessel for autism.

>muh aestethic
You have to be over 18 to post on this site.

all you fags do is circlejerk over your linux enviro's looks

Supports nothing now. But I used it on my main pc until XP SP1, because XP was outright horrible for a long, long time (underageb& were too young at the time).
Windows 2000 with the latest service pack was god tier. Rock solid and stable compared to 98/ME, fast, reliable, advanced features not found in non-NT Windows, oh yeah NT kernel based, in short was like XP but without all the shit. Loved it and I could never go back to 98/ME after having it installed for the first time.
Microsoft at their peak.

As another poster said, these things function as a short-hand for other stories.

No one misses slow storage mediums that only hold 1.44MB (or less), but they miss that time a friend gave them a copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook on a floppy and they read it while hoping their parents don't find it.

People, especially those that didn't experience the era being referenced, tend to take things in isolation. Like someone saying they miss floppy disks probably doesn't mean that right now today, they wish they were using 1.44 meg floppies for file transfer. They usually mean it's something specific about an era of computing that they miss.

The alpha and beta versions ran on quite some architectures, including Alpha

AMD64 silicon wasn't even on the market until 2003. The instruction set wasn't even released until mid Y2K.

My college(UK) had this. For some reason they disabled the ability to lock your PC so if you had to get up from your desk you had to log off completly lest you get meatspin'd.

it's not unix or anything better than it.

Bumbing, need to shit post in a while

Back in uni, Win2kP was my jam. Even when XP arrived, I waited years to move away from it; XP was slow and shit.

The lack of driver support killed it though.