>Choosing

>Choosing between Linux and Windows
>Not choosing the best of both worlds

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/41362981/nvidia-gpu-passthrough-fail-with-code-43
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I honestly don't see anything appealing about Windows and never use it.

good support for intel graphics

Linux?

Smoother desktop experience

Compatibility with specific applications

Better 3d performance

Better input latency

It's primarily for media consumption and not using it exclusively for that is a meme

Well in my case
>Smooth fallback for if I'm doing something cheeky and I fuck the Linux subsystem up
>Supported by everything
>Fantastic tablet support (I have a chinkpad with a stylus, so it's fantastic for notes)
>Great integration with every productivity program/website on the planet, like mail and calendars

Sure, other OSes can offer a lot of these features as well, but Windows wins in the "supported by everything" category.

Also, I'm a developer so it wins for a shitload of other reasons but those don't apply to most people so I'm not gonna cite them

all you dudes are constnatly shitting all over windows and macOS and various linux distros while i'm sitting here running all three along with a bunch of old-puters running old OSes. computers are cool, different operating systems are cool. only babies fight and scream about how ~their artisanal bespoke operating system~ is the best. a true master appreciates all forms of expression (operating systems)

This was kind of what I was going for, in that a combo is the best because they both have their pros and cons

Why choose?

The only downside is that this thing was a bitch and a half to get working

>Smoother desktop experience
I don't agree. It's always been inconsistent and clunky in my opinion.

I'm a developer and having to use Windows would make my job a nightmare. What do you do?

>Windows has redeeming qualities

HA

muh games

It's not "the best of both worlds." It's literally just both worlds.

Anyways, be honest, you fucking NEETs. You all have a secondary Windows partition somewhere for if Linux breaks, or you keep it around to play that ONE game or use that ONE piece of software you need.

>NTFS
NTFS is so garbage it works faster in a virtual machine on an Linux system than it does natively

every intel igp i had worked perfectly with linux
need to restart kde maybe once a month but i gladly accept this over the limitations in windows

im still waiting for easy mode pcie passthrough to have a vm for windows gaming. not interested in all the steps ive seen for xen a while ago.

>choosing the best of both worlds
>picture shows the worst of both worlds
What did he mean by this?

LSW is badass.
>full stack dev environment
>native compilation for either OS
>No shitty, buggy DE
>awk, sed, grep, perl, python, vim, emacs without leaving Windows, wasting resources on a VM or installing cygwin. rsync, ftp, nmtp...the list goes on.
>use a real shell like bash, zsh, csh whatever instead of a fucking DOS emulator, and gain all of the automation features that come with it
>Never worry about dual booting, vms or wine ever again. Never leave your proprietary Windows productivity software behind
>Do you just HAVE to use a QT or GTK app? Install a cross-platform X server and apt-get whatever you need.

I fucking love this shit

>dev
>having to deal with windows bloat and ntfs
>having to deal with shitty emulated linux

i'd rather not

even on powerful machines windows struggles with operations dealing with many files, it's almost like it was built for the year 2003

If you really wanted best of both worlds you'd run linux and windows in qemu+kvm. Runs even faster than native winblows.

Running it like that isn't even getting remotly the best of both worlds, if anything you're stuck with the nuances of both and none of the true benefits of a linux system.

It's like comparing unlimited free (as in free beer and freedom) pussy anytime you want no strings (other than GPL) attached vs being able to buy a pocket pussy, and it's not even quality jap shit or fleshlight tier.

>No shitty, buggy DE
dont know what trash you ran but you're literally missing out on one of the best parts. Windows GUI is abhorrent and being able to get away from it to something where you can be truly productive is a godsend.

>shitty terminal
>huge overhead
>slower than native
It was easy to drop this shit.

I've actually been running Linux in pretty much every conceivable distro, WM and DE combination since 1997. X11 is an abhorrant pile of superglued shit, and Wayland isn't even close to ready yet, regardless of what Ubuntu thinks. Most DE's are bloated, the only real evolution that Linux has to offer is tiling and that's just not going to fly for anyone but devs and admins.

I'm still scared of the stability of Linux distros. I had a major Manjaro KDE incident last year that rendered my system useless after a simple update.

I can't play VNs on Linux either.

I use Visual Studio
ehxclusively
for absolutely everything

My only complaint with the terminal (in the ubuntu install anyway) was that it doesn't support different encoding.
The overhead is considerable, but less than a VM, and only relevant if you are limited on RAM.
Slightly slower than native, still better than cygwin.

dont use manjaro then
use a stable os until you understand what an update does

Use fedora it just werks even with my shitty AMD igpu
rolling releases are NOT for anything you don't want to lose

>im still waiting for easy mode pcie passthrough to have a vm for windows gaming. not interested in all the steps ive seen for xen a while ago.
If you have an AMD gpu there's an option in the Virt-Manager interface. Unfortunately Nvidia gimped their drivers to where you have to use a workaround.

>Nvidia gimped their drivers to where you have to use a workaround.
isn't it just changing kvm from true to false or some shit?
buy a quadro goy

stable = outdated on Linux

Then I have to use outdated software and do a fresh install every release cycle

There are a couple of settings that have to be modified and in some cases (see: newer cards) you have to copy the GPU firmware and have it load off the hard drive.
stackoverflow.com/questions/41362981/nvidia-gpu-passthrough-fail-with-code-43

I have almost 500 Linux compatible games in my Steam library and haven't even found the time to play most of them yet.

>Manjaro
Found your problem.

if the 'best' of windows is program support then mac would be the best.

What is that bar?

windows shills gonna shill

half this fucking board are corporate fuckasses selling their morality, ethics and soul for a buck to hawk shit products on a fucking anime imageboard

Yeah I'm not paid by microsoft
Consider for a second that other people have different opinions than you do. I know it's easier to not do that, but consider the absolute fact that it is true.

Also, this was a bitch and a half to set up, but everything functions including italics in vim
Time to make an image so I never, ever have to set that up again

>WSL provides a Linux-compatible kernel interface developed by Microsoft (containing no Linux kernel code)
>best of both worlds

your opinion is shit and so is your setup

>windows in qemu+kvm.
>Runs even faster than native winblows.

>every intel igp i had worked perfectly with linux
i get tearing on my 3000 HD series

Do your homework first.
Intel has had better support in linux than in windows.
There is still a list of incompatible programs with intel's windows driver.

Tearing is not a driver problem.
You haveto configure X

Not the guy you're calling a dense mother fucker, but with the right hardware, windows 10 runs smooth in qemu with hardware pass-through enabled. I wouldn't dare say faster that native, but damn close.

>500
Filthy casual.

Same but with Linux.

>You haveto configure
stopped reading there

It's software side, not Intel's fault. KDE already does the configuring for you, while MATE had me edit some config files.

thanks

I had the problem on KDE though

Hardware under System Settings, there's a GUI option where you can select the method of tear elimination. Better than having to dig for a config file.

>>Not choosing the best of both worlds
Botnet+Emulate a real OS
Why???

You don't need the bleeding edge to use a desktop. You can install snaps or the package manually if you really need it for some reason. Once I matured and stopped using arch based distros and settled on Ubuntu lts, nothing breaks and everything just werks.

I am in the same boat as you. I don't game that much and when I do, I have a console. I don't delude myself into thinking I am a professional by using Photoshop or Sony Vegas to make ebin Pepe memes. I used Linux throughout my computer engineering degree and had no problems.