/nrg/ - Nyaa Replacement General

This thread is for the discussion of NyaaPantsu (pantsu.cat), a free (FOSS) torrent indexer, and other nyaa alternatives.
The aim of this project is to write a fully featured nyaa.se replacement in golang that anyone will be able to deploy locally or remotely.

FAQ
>pastebin.com/Gq9MrJN5

Links
>pastebin.com/40aFT7CN
Nyaa
>nyaa.pantsu.cat
Sukebei
>sukebei.pantsu.cat

>Why is Pantsu down/error 502?
Most likely because the team is deploying changes. Wait for a bit and refresh the page. It should be mostly stable now. The site also keeps getting DDoSd so that might be another reason why it's down. It usually happens around 5-9am japan time so it's likely some angry nip.

Latest news
>Upload page made user-friendly
>Moderator recruitment underway

General updates on the site
>J-List ads removed
>API uploading to Anidex, TT and nyaa.si is being worked on

Planned improvements
>Improve scrapers to scrape more sites
>Move db dumps to just nginx to prevent any issues/corruption
>Add in the nyaa.si and anidex scrapers into the main program

Dev live server:
>dev.pantsu.cat

Database dumps:
>nyaa.pantsu.cat/dbdumps

Local Client:
>An user made a local client in case the online sources are down: instructions and download at
>nyanner.net
qBittorrent plugin for Pantsu.
>github.com/4chenz/pantsu-plugin
NyaaPantsu android app
>github.com/NyaaPantsu/NyaaPantsu-android-app/releases

Development roadmap:
>github.com/NyaaPantsu/nyaa/projects/2

NyaaPantsu Status:
>status.pantsu.cat
>Copyrighters wall of shame
transparency.pantsu.cat

Development and discussion channel:
>github.com/NyaaPantsu/nyaa
>#nyaapantsu / #nyaapantsu-dev on Rizon
>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

lumendatabase.org/notices/15161886)
lumendatabase.org/notices/15181883
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It has been quite harder to get some things for a while, I don't wanna think the number of seeds in general is diminishing, but... There is no way to actually keep an eye on the total number of peers, through miao's tracker or something, right??...

Last two threads died miserably, I think you should stop making them OP.

The thing is to keep getting news (if there are any) for a while, and then we'll just completely migrate to the IRC, I think... People is still around, even if the progress for pantsu is slower, and there probably isn't anybody who was here in the beginning that will forget what this thread used to be like... Njalla and the bears were traumatizing enough.

Yeah the week after .si release from the 12th to the 19th may was really the peak of the /nrg/ threads, and the ones at the end of the month with snowfag which reach over 700 replies.
Pretty much dead afterwards and summer killed the development, the traffic is slowing down day by day and nothing will likely revive pantsu, I don't really believe in Miao's "secret project" either.

boards when

serious question: literally what is the point of these threads? there was no nyaa general before, now there are 2 nyaa's, what's there to discuss?
should i start a bakabt general and the thread theme can be everyone getting butthurt at the superior animebytes?

Update when

It'd be kinda amusing to see how Pantsu's traffic has fallen the past bit.

Alexa's statistics have Pantsu dropping in a perfectly straight line, which means their estimate for traffic loss is being throttled by their algorithms.

It actually looks identical to how Nyaa.se's chart looked when it died.

Pantsu really is dead. There's been zero activity in the -dev channel in a couple days, and no real activity numbering more than like 10 lines in a day for a long while.

R I P .

Nyaasi devs go home.

lol.

Kilo is white and based

Secret project? Where did he announce such a thing?

at this rate pantsu will probably have to offer something uniquely convenient/useful enough that people have a reason to use it over .si. and I do not know what this "secret project" is.

Maybe that HS alternative he wanted to make but it's not really secret.

lol last thread had 10 posts
Don't ever stop these threads, please, I need the entertainment

Apparently he has recruited more than ten people but no news since then.

It reminds me of the multiple nrg threads duplicates, but I never counted them as official, so I don't know if I should consider the last one as the 136th or not.

cannot connect pantsu.cat, what happened?

PANTSU IS DOWN

There were just like two that were counted as "official", basically because they reached bump limit either way, in spite of being as much of an obvious bait as the other ones. Easily distinguishable by checking the "alternatives: nyaa.si" or the false Sup Forums image in the OP. But two of them were just used anyways, since we were writing like machines then...

Probably just a little DDos...

Who would bother DDosing Pantsu?

nip IP, as far as I know...
Yeah, I don't get it either but who ever expects a jap to make sense??

Google delisted nyaa.pantsu.cat subdomain, site doesn't come up when you search nyaa (because of this? lumendatabase.org/notices/15161886) = no traffic

Sukebei brings up pantsu

>Sukebei brings up pantsu
wait no, it doesnt either
lumendatabase.org/notices/15181883

>tfw google joins the cartel

I would suggest getting a new domain with word nyaa inside (like nyaasomething.smt, sukebeisomething.smt) and don't use subdomains, google doesn't normally delist root domain for DMCA

Yeah I counted those ones because they were in the chronological continuity and could hit bump limit in less than 5 hours in peak traffic.

Nyanner doesn't support Sukebei?

i let this cute image drop in here

:^)

You'd better drop a line straight to .cat authorities about this blatant violation of their policy.

:^)

now that we are independent we have to promote our country in a more intensive way

you know you can change the language to catalan in the settings right?

i do

Being associated with piracy is a bad promotion. Besides, what promotion are you talking about when Google already delisted it.

We have to promote our great empire and the Paisos Catalans also people have a presets of beliefs that are false, we have to promote that Leonardo da Vinci was a Catalan and Don Quixote was written in Catalan first but the oppressive regime burned all proves. Also burgers have to relearn history Cristobal Colon was a catalan explorer that exported our language to the Canadians.

weebs are cancer

Objectively, comparing Pantsu to .si, what are the differences and which one is the best at the moment?
Then to go deeper, what is one or the other lacking?

So pantsu wont get any traffic until they spread the .pt domain so everybody know that they have another domain

The key difference is that pantsu devs have lost all interest in it since they couldn't make it stable and beat nyaa.si. So its future is vague and supposedly it won't last for much long. While nyaa is rock stable and will live at least as long as HorribleSubs themsevles.

I wonder what would have happened if .si never existed or was released longer after. Sure the cartel would never have agreed to migrate to pantsu where they wouldn't have any control or only as a temporary solution, but without considering the traffic I believe it could have been a great project if all the good ideas discussed could have been carried out.
However ewhal and Miao made stupid mistakes in a period where stability and user trust were primordial while .si prioritize the most important aspects since the beginning and didn't need further development afterwards. They had more than ten days to appeal to the community and then when sustainability is assured adding more features for the general improvement and considering the decentralization.
If Miao had accepted donations for a good server and ewhal didn't take the meme language route, I think there would have been more than one willing to help the project and being actually invested in it. Development was pretty active the first month but all the primary errors had cumulated resulting in the present state. Pantsu have never been a threat to .si, there was no competition at all because it never began, it ended pretty quickly and we can safely assume that it's nearing its imminent death if no effective countermeasure is taken.

If Nyaa.si hadn't existed, it would be someone else (but not Pantsu).

During the period shortly after Nyaa.se went down, most of the people who would otherwise have been inclined to start a project themselves, that the Cartel would have used, would've heard from others that work was already progressing, so didn't bother.

Established groups would much sooner use AniDex than something like Pantsu, put together by people with zero ties to fansubbing. And even that isn't likely, because Anidex is associated with Doki.

Of course, Pantsu could've snatched up less established groups, but the big "cartel" groups that most people care about would never have used Pantsu, and the big non-cartel groups (ie: Doki, Chihiro, and other groups like that) would have just used Anidex.

The only way Pantsu would've ended up as anything but primarily a scraper would have been if Pantsu got some people who know people in the fagsubbing scene on their team from early-on. But, that didn't happen, and it's too late now. The only possible future Pantsu has is as a scraper, or to pivot to some other audience.

Barring anything like when Nyaa.si went down for days happening again soon, Pantsu will just wither away into irrelevancy. The devteam seems to have lost interest.

Alright, I asked because...
In all honesty I've never used Pantsu, always used .si because it was objectively better, or at least more stable. I feel a bit guilty because I know you guys have worked on this for a long time and I'm super grateful to see people taking this seriously so something like what happened doesn't happen again, but as a random user I simply decided to use the one that felt more right without feelings involved. I've had a bookmark for Pantsu for months now but never used it.

I used it regularly until the whole hut on a stick fiasco. Started using .si then and never came back, because honestly there's no good reason to do so.
Still lurk this threads for some reason.

Well yes, pantsu didn't stand a chance to gain the major support of groups early on, but the purpose was to at least encourage uploaders to don't fail twice for the centralization problem and invite them to upload on multiple websites, including pantsu. Just as you said, after nyaa.se went down, a part of fansubbing (at least the non-english ones I know) used temporaly anidex as a solution, waiting eventually to be served with a silver platter.
Nonetheless, pantsu didn't achieve the necessary membership of common uploaders, who represent the essential of uploaded torrents by lacking relations and greatly because of the multiple downtimes it suffered in a short period. It resulted in most people starting to use .si because it was the only option they known of with the direct affiliation of HS, then the same aggregate phenomenon happened and the majority of groups switched to .si naturally, without even considering other possible options. While nips already known of pantsu as the sukebei replacement, I blame a serious lack of spreading with all the rare pantsu recommandations on the nyaa replacement articles being quickly replaced by a sole link to .si.
Combined with the decreasing trust of its base of users since its launch, the upload of contents was no longer assured and becoming a scraper to be on par with the contents was inevitable. Maybe options like the upload to multiple trackers should have been considered earlier to provide a very useful feature to uploaders when they were still giving pantsu a chance.

Personnally I use pantsu as a primary source, not by convinction, but because the scraping functions at least allow it to have the combined contents of .si, anidex and its own, with an acceptable latence with the original uploads, and because of features like more advanced search, original nyaa.se theme with categories navigation and more tools for uploaders and users. The tags and language system would have been pretty useful if all the torrent uploaded used them, and I'm still waiting to have a series name organization like shanaproject (but would require manual gestion).
Having only one RSS feed instead of multiple ones is really convenient, I only check .si and anidex as means of insurance because the scraper still can't be trusted completly (like the sukebei one being dead and still not fixed), and there are some few downtimes occasionnally. The only thing you could really miss are the tracker stats (but with a recent feature they are generated automatically when clicking on a torrent, with still a latance before it gets reindexed on the torrent list) and the comments on the orignal upload, but you can quickly check them by clickling on the scraped link. No torrent file and files list of scraped content are more problematic, a fix is still in development.
However with the serious lack of regular devs, we can no longer expect pantsu to grow anymore than that, and it's really a shame because objectively it is better but with some flaws responsible of the slowing traffic. From the moment the main dev of the project started to no longer care (or only to shill on the cartel irc), the development is doomed. I don't known what could bring more volunteer devs like kilo (but without breaking everything please) because this is what pantsu needs the most actually with the fix of stability issues (I still believed in Miao a few times ago, but with even doko.moe not being well managed we can't really expect anything).

bump

The catalan is still the first listed language for pantsu, the default language, and the main one on the site. It's just that it automatically changes to a more appropiate one anytime anybody access the site...