/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
themindofgame.com/2010/02/18/sennheiser-hd280-pro-blu-tack-mod/
youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Headphones-Headphone/dp/B00UG7QMPO/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508896753&sr=1-7&keywords=audio technica headphone 40
youtube.com/watch?v=83Ntgc_79XQ
youtube.com/watch?v=g8NI7sDSpn8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Imagine the best headphones in your price range and preferred sound profile has cat ears built into the headphone and you can't take them off.
Would you still buy them?

I'd buy them even more. tfw Tyll never responded to my e-mail about these.

In other words a cat eared HD600?

Why not I get to listen to the world's best headphone and be kawaii uguu at the same time.

thoughts on the audeze el8c, ma900, and he400i? I can get any of these at really discounted prices (300 for the el8c)

>audeze el8c
overpriced. but for $300 it's not bad, i'd rather use open backs though

>ma900
good for comfy casual listening

>he400i
good all arounder. maybe a bit fatiguing in the high end if you crank the volume, but it's a good EQ candidate

In what universe is this a negative?

>I can get any of these at really discounted prices
>ma900
are you a wizard?

I can only comment on the 400i, it can be an amazing sounding headphone but the treble's sort of a mess and requires a ton of EQ to fix. Also, the pad holes are quite small and bend the tips of your ears which really affects the pinna resonance (sometimes in a good way, I think it's why I percieved it to have a massive soundstage) and measurements.

FLAC Internet radio: mpv chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

Only top tier headphones like the SR-007 allowed.

I bought a hd 380 pro, buyers remorse me

bluetack + EQ it

>ma900
no sub-bass, etched 1k response, scooped upper midrange, shrill 4k peak, veiled treble

can't even have one decent thread without shitposting redditors like this invading

Also check if you have a speaker amp and wire it to your headphone jack. That combined with bluetack and you'll have a very strong bass headphone.

>posting factual information
>shitposting

DT880 or HE400i? What would be a better complement to an MA900?

>What would be a better complement to an MA900?
something closed like a th-x00

DT880. Do not ever buy HiFiMAN garbage.

(you)

now stop posting, t.noheadphones

post pictures of your KSC22I + HD598

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

Reasons why FLAC is superior for streaming music over the Internet:
- Free
- Smaller filesize to wav, wma lossless and alac
- Original data
- Lower algorithmic latency than opus
- Sounds better
- Lightweight compared to youtube videos
- More crisp highs, luscious lows, liquid soundstage
- Greater resolution detail
- Resolves better
- It's not the 90's anymore, you can stream FLAC

you can afford STAX but you can't afford a half decent camera
what the hell man

>liquid soundstage
lmao what

What is bluetack? My amp is unfortunately broken

thanks for the stream bro

It's a mod for the HD-280 where you fill in the space inside the headphone case, sinc the HD-380 is identical, it also works on it. themindofgame.com/2010/02/18/sennheiser-hd280-pro-blu-tack-mod/

You've been reposting the same images for years how do we even know you still own these

This won't make the sound super muddled?

No, it's a closed headphone. Tightening the case seems to just improve the bass and make it less of a monitoring headphone without any drawbacks. I never un-modded my HD280.

so this is the power of hifiman wow

Cool. If the bass is sufficiently underwhelming I might give it a try, very shy around diy though, I'm good at fucking shit up

No timestamp, plus everything else about your photos suggests you must have saved for many years to even be able to afford them along with the Mjolnir amp because you seemingly can't afford anything else.

I can afford server hosting and hard drives bro

So basically can't afford much then.

Recently hooked my headphones up to a receiver that drives them properly, and it enhanced the sound a ton. It introduced a lot of hiss when there's nothing playing, though. Anything I can do about that? Besides buying a real dac, that is.

100mbit home internet connection in US

Only thing you can do is get a lower sensitivity headphone.

I don't know why you're trying to brag about things that don't cost much if anything. I assume they're a lot for you because you're unemployed and live with your parents but they're too old to care about internet so you have to somehow pay for that yourself?

Don't bully him so much man, I'm sure life already does more than enough bullying to the poor dude.

I'm just telling you what's already evident from running chiru.no

But bullying autistic people is why I have come to Sup Forums for the last decade.

Then bully yourself you meanie.

By "lower sensitivity" you mean something with a greater impedance rating, right?

I'm depressed not autistic.

>I'm depressed not autistic.
is this the power of /hpg/?

Like I mentioned in the last couple threads, an HD600 or HD650 with earpads from the HD660S might be pretty nice, once Sennheiser starts selling them separately

Has it even been confirmed that they have different pads yet or is it just idiots on head-fi exaggerating things for hype and because they're not comparing two brand new products?

the pads are the same

whats that video of that guy getting really agitated at the sound of those really expensive headphones

could get a proper headphone amp rather than a thrift store stereo receiver

this?
youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

do I buy the atticus or preorder the auteur? I can't decide

>zmf memephones
stop

>is it just idiots on head-fi exaggerating things for hype and because they're not comparing two brand new products
Remember when people claimed the HD6XX and HD650 were different?

can't stop won't stop, choo choo motherfucker

Look at the FR graphs, they measure like $20 headphones. It's your money my dude, but think about this one.

>Look at the FR graphs
that's exactly why I'm buying them, if I wanted neutral I'd buy a monitor. I actually hate neutral headphones, they bore me to tears.
>It's your money my dude, but think about this one.
I have :)

Fr is a fucking retarded meme, it's dumbing down headphobes to one of thousands of factors. Sound is complex

Auteur

Auteur or Atticus + HD800?

I thought they were deeper or something like that. If they are the same, oh well.

HD650 + materials for modding + better amp

I just sold my lcd-2 to an HD650 owner and he just said they destroy his. nice try though, atticus + hd800 or auteur?

He doesn't know what he's talking about if he thinks the LCD2 destroy the 650, sorry. He's probably too distracted by the playynar bass to notice the complete lack of treble.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

>unironically believing this
>never heard an lcd-2 or a 2016 for that matter
you don't know what lcd-2 treble sounds like.

I do, the LCD-XC are better sounding IMO.

well, audeze has variance problems and there have been a ton of revisions, so I could see you thinking that. you still haven't answered my question, I'm buying a zmf headphone, nothing will change that, I just need to know which

I can't answer that question when I haven't heard either of the ZMF headphones. (Or any of his modded headphones for that matter). All I can say is that you absolutely need to SDR mod the HD800 if you end up getting them.

sup dudes, ultra poor med fag from the last thread.
I just found out that I have 70 bucks more in my account than I thought, so I can expand my budget a bit.
My question is, how durable are the are the ATH M40x?
Can they realistically last at least 3 years of outdoor use (walking around, having them around my neck, taking them on and off a lot etc.) I know the pads are replaceable when they fall apart, and so is the cable.

Also is it safe to buy from a reseller like this (comes with a case), or should I get just get the fufilled by amazon one?
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40x-Professional-Headphones-Headphone/dp/B00UG7QMPO/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1508896753&sr=1-7&keywords=audio technica headphone 40

update to this post:
i'm currently torn between the ma900 ($190), el8c ($300), and k7xx ($130) - i'm pretty sensitive to harsh treble, and i'm willing to spend a good amount on an amp/dac (fulla 2, maybe). opinions on each?

ma900

You're in a store and you wanna check some headphones. What song do you put on?

MA900

weeb shit female vocals and then think "man, everyone has been saying these have shitty bass but I can't hear it at all, literally"

why the ma900? why would it be worth the $60 over the k7xx?

do you think $60 more for the ma900 which has a driver literally almost twice the size of the K7xx is worth it?

>MFLB
Convection or go home. Absolute shit-tier.
>i'm pretty sensitive to harsh treble
Stay away from AKG then.

you said you don't like harsh treble

sorry about being so indecisive, but i've narrowed it down to the ma900 and ad900x's - thoughts? are the ad900x's sharp in the treble

stop being a faggot, the ma900 are amazing headphones.

Yes.

>ad900x's sharp in the treble
Well, they're definitely lively. Mids and treble are the focus on those headphones. After long sessions or if you raise the volume, it will wear on your ears. MA900 is a much smoother listen - it just sounds natural. AD900x are also less comfortable.

how the fuck do i know what songs playing tho

3DPD.

Get HD660S then; You're planning to spend money on dac+amp you might not even need; It's best if you allocate it properly.

You can always get an amp later.

typical 2d bluepilled fag. 1d is where it's at

this has to be the worst rec I've seen

Put the link in mpv or vlc or any other music player

how do for foobar

foobar2000 is noncompliant so you'll have to use ogg or mp3 stream

Hey guys, I need your advice. I'll be going on a vacation for about a month this summer to various states of my country (I live in Mexico so there's a lot of places to visit) and I'll be spending a lot of time inside vehicles so I'm planning to buy a Fiio X5 III to listen to music but I don't have any good headphones to use with it, any recommendations? Preferably closed because of all the noise there is in buses and planes

BTW, forgot to mention but my budget is around $250 USD

Currently using a pair of AT M40x's and thinking about upgrading
Would massdrop's deal on AKG K702's be good for me? I'm looking for a wide sound stage and good mids/treble, but I have a roommate so I'm worried it would bother him (a little sound leak is okay, but I don't want it to be annoying). Other recommendations appreciated, max budget is ~$300 but I could spend a few extra dollars if it really matters

Has anyone bought the HD660S?

i'm in your boat, there's a guy on r/avexchange selling some k7xx's for $130 - if i weren't so sensitive to highs, i'd snag those + an amp

youtube.com/watch?v=83Ntgc_79XQ
youtube.com/watch?v=g8NI7sDSpn8