Npm

>npm
Why does Javascript need a fucking package manager?

Other urls found in this thread:

conan.io/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/rage-quit-coder-unpublished-17-lines-of-javascript-and-broke-the-internet/
qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer-broke-the-internet-by-deleting-a-tiny-piece-of-code/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I have no idea

>also: dat annoying hipster art used for all the latest "#dev"-related websites

Everything about this looks terrible, and tells a very clear story about the dimwits involved.

>young merchant who tweets constantly about how he is deebly gonzerned the alt-right might expel his people from their extractive colonial perch
>deranged tranny who blogs about her penis at work
>extremely skilled black professional they both treat like a quota nigger and praise him profusely for doing literally anything correctly
this is the software industry now

Have you ever used it? It's pretty fucking convenient. But you're probably one of those guys that despises JS, even though it's a badass, practical language nowadays thanks to Node and the like.

Managing dependencies. What else.
Also use yarn, npm is slow.

>But you're probably one of those guys that despises JS,
No, see, I actually write the Javascript that I need
>you can't even type the word out without a third-party library

>I actually write the Javascript that I need
Unemployed or just a walking waste of money?

Every language worth using has a fucking package manager. Ruby, Python, C#, go, etc all have that shit. Stop being a turboautist

Npm is sjw trash now and i will not use it anymore.

for the same reason other languages also have their own, no one wants to build everything from scratch on every new project. why is that hard to understand?

What about the bear

>extremely skilled black professional
>skilled black
They're below Pajeets

Aging millenials respond the best when they're communicated to as children. Short positive phrases delivered through cartoons is the way to go

All companies that don't have an extremely skilled black professional are dead now.
As in they all hire those same people, but only the ones that lucked out survive.

I seriously think every language should have its own package manager as part of a standard toolset, you can always use whatever tools you want but at least everywhere the platform is implemented has the standard option.

Out of all the things I like about new hipster languages, it's that they come with a standard toolset, that almost every project uses for getting packages and building software.

A stable and consistent package manager would be nice for any given language. So many communities cycle through them like a seasonal trend

>Out of all the things I like about new hipster languages
I can't go on

>Unemployed or just a walking waste of money?
No, I write things for a secure environment dealing with sensitive material. I'm not integrating some third-party code that some 13 year old trans-fabulous mongoloid wrote following YouTube tutorials.

>No, I write things for a secure environment dealing with sensitive material.
Fair. For HIPAA stuff we don't give a shit, we just try to minimize dependencies (I do, rest of the team couldn't care less); but I do know of some areas where rolling your own is worth more in time and peace of mind than auditing third party shit.
But you do acknowledge at least that this situation is very much an exception to most web dev even when discounting all pajeet-tier code, right?

So they can control you from anywhere.

This is my frustration, especially in working with C++, there's so many god damn build systems that people use, it's absurd. I know there are popular ones for popular projects, but it's anything but ubiquitous. The same is true for every tool you would want, package manager, build system, linter, documentation generation, etc.

Don't get me wrong either, choice is great, but there should at least be a standard default for most things imo, at the very least so people don't just google "what's a good C++ build system" and use the first (varying) result that they come across, that I will have to learn to use as well.

I was originally going to write "I honestly prefer working with Go code over C and C++ code just because of the standard tools that it has, available on every platform that they've ported it to as well" but what do you want, people are going to say "hipster shit" and "it's easy to use therefore it's bad", so I wrote that instead. What do you want, I'm tired and agitated.

Well-said

to hide the botnet behind a couple hundred layers of abstraction and 3rd party libraries
that web"""devs""" will just include because the customer needs a working product 3 days ago.

Question is, why doesn't most other languages have a package manager?
>shit, this thing I'm trying to do isn't working out
>let me google it
>holy crap there's a library for it?
>npm install ...
>wow, this task is so easy now, all I have to do is call this function

One of these days, I'll try to get something like this up for C++. Should be easy

>One of these days, I'll try to get something like this up for C++. Should be easy
Good luck. It's likely going to be much harder than you're expecting. Look at the issues lists for various established package manages for other languages. There are a lot of considerations that you're going to have to end up making

peep the diversity tho
>bearded hipster
>turquoise haired sjw (possible trans?)
>brown-skinned nu-male

Pretty good but those two males look pretty sexist to me and not NEARLY ingratiating enough. We're going to have to work on this, Javascript.

See that's your problem. That's why you need package managers in the first place, because you don't continue learning. The workflow there should be:

>shit this thing isn't working out
>narrow down exactly where the problem occurs
>google the problem
>learn what you're doing wrong
>write the code correctly
>never make the mistake again

But keep doing what you're doing; companies will figure out the indians can do the same thing and you'll be out of your job in a year.

These are respectable languages that deserve a package manager. JS is just a pile of dog shit that some autistic pajeet decided to take out of the browser because he wanted to program even if he's too retarded to do it, with the consequence that other retarded pajeets followed him and it spread like cancer, leading us to a text editor that uses 800MB of RAM while doing absolutely nothing.

>leading us to a text editor that uses 800MB of RAM while doing absolutely nothing.
This is absofuckinglutely the problem right here. There's no art in efficiency anymore. Just bloat it up until it werks.

>Not recognizing the creature on the right as the tranny
Time to send you to the reeducation center

I've used npm frequently so I think I have a good grasp on how to do it. With C++, I think it might be a bit easier because all you need to do is link the headers, and hope the dll/so is available in the OS you want to support. Really, worst case scenario set up a build system like the one openSUSE that distributes dll/so files

Of course I'd need to go through the hell of making a make file for arbitrary code.

When your boss wants something done by yesterday, you don't have time to learn
I'm sorry, but the productive people are busy writing JS while you're stuck reading compiler messages :3

Because package managers are the fucking best.

You god damn retards not understanding that obviously don't write code to be re-used and modular.

You are dumb, C++ package managers already exist and your solution won't work on Windows.

conan.io/

>When your boss wants something done by yesterday, you don't have time to learn
So you're saying you're unqualified for your position. We already know.

Yes, NPM is shit, but why would you want to manage dependencies manually or constantly reinvent the wheel?

The problem doesn't have to be solved with NPM, but package management is a good thing.

>not invented here syndrome
Have fun writing a list for the 10th time you dumbass.

How is NPM shit?

You guys are acting like you can't write your own libraries once and reuse them. That's what any respectable programmer does. This thread is shit from start to finish.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/rage-quit-coder-unpublished-17-lines-of-javascript-and-broke-the-internet/

qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer-broke-the-internet-by-deleting-a-tiny-piece-of-code/

>just write all your own libraries
>just write your own compiler
>just write your own language
>just write your own OS
>just manufacture your own processor

Building on the work of others is how civilizations work.

""""""art""""""
Its hard to create something beautiful when your soul is dark and empty

Yarn is shit, it creates huge docker images, often double the size of npm.
Its locking mechanism is also inferior to npm 5.

I don't see a problem with any of that, can you elaborate?

I am glad not everyone thinks like you.

So you can't blame someone?

this

lol and it even has the token character cast of effeminate hipster nu-male, independent koder chick with blue hair, BASED black programming man

>Its locking mechanism is also inferior to npm 5.
You say that now, wait until either:
- npm annoyingly switches around elements in the list in other OSs
- npm shits itself and someone has to create package-lock.json again
- You give up and just add package-lock to .gitignore.

That's literally Sup Forums though

underrated

Because it makes it easier to install libraries you dipshit. Every programming language should have one. I love C++, but one of it's biggest downsides is the lack of a package manager. As a result it is often a pain in the ass to compile other people's projects (ie. dependency hell)

Oh hi second year student. One day you'll grow up and get a job and realize that no employer wants to use your shitty self-created libraries.

Building on your UNDERSTANDING of the work of others is how civilisations work.

It's almost like Sup Forums is populated by millennials

The people pushing these trends are closer to 40 year old neckbeards than hipster millennials

That picture is too representative. They lack this thing called self awareness

look at your picture bro and realize that it has the anwser.

>Node.js uses npm as its default "package manager" for installing software, much as Linux distributions use apt-get.

>Why does Javascript need a fucking package manager

It doesn't. It's not part of the language specification or even browser implementations.

It's a fucking tool.

NEET detected

Yeah, there's a good bit of bloat from different projects, but it's not that hard to get rid of what you don't need. And if you're suggesting that you write all of your own code for everything, it sounds like you're wasting a lot of time :P I had to get over the desire to be a one guy show in order to be a practical, on-time developer.

why do companies hire females who look like circus clowns?

>"female"

>I've used npm frequently so I think I have a good grasp on how to do it
holy fucking shit, is this the absolute state of Sup Forums in 2017?
>When your boss wants something done by yesterday, you don't have time to learn
Oh, ok, you're just a subordinate code monkey

These faggots can't even solve fucking fizzbuzz, they wouldn't be able to optimize shit even if they actually wanted to.

where the fuck did this "do everything in javascript" cancer from?

Of all the JS criticism I've seen this is probably the stupidest.

>pip
Why does Python need a fucking package manager?

Oh wait, because it makes it easy to install libraries. I hate Javascript too, but this is not a good reason.

>light brown hipster guy
>blue haired SJW
>token black guy

A more accurate illustration of people who actually write code would be chunky white man with long hair, lanky white bionicle man, and hunchback pajeet

You can't ask this without also asking
>Why the fuck does python need pip
>Why the fuck does rust need cargo
>Why the fuck does ruby need gem
>Why the fuck does java need maven
>Why the fuck does haskell need cabal
>Why the fuck does clojure need leiningen
etc

because it's an easy to learn scripting language and doesn't require compiling, retard

Skinny white guy with long hair reporting in
I pushed my first python package to pip yesterday, it handles custom workspace management in i3, do I count as a programmer

why does Sup Forums get so upset about trivial shit like this

>where the fuck did this "do everything in javascript" cancer from?

Lack of alternatives.

>PHP or Java, lol

Because it's a demonstration of what kind of people are welcome in our field.

Most of the time the answer can be "nothing."

>php
A (((language))) made for non-programmers

>java
That would actually take some effort to learn

I wonder why people use JS

C# has NuGet, so why can't js have npm?

Because it's rampant.

christ why would you do server side javascript

Have done some android apps and some runescape code in java -> what is the major attraction? The language seems very intense and during runtime very fragile.

it makes webprogramming more lego than it actually is.

can tell the second one is meant to be a moon faced twitter tranny

Why wouldn't you do server side Javascript? Node is comfy. What are some reasons not to use it?