Is it worth getting a HTC vive?

Is it worth getting a HTC vive?
I currently have $1.580, which I got from a husband of a family member.
But I need a new GPU too to even run it.
So would it be worth or should I buy a new GPU and a 144 Hertz monitor?

no

Your period and comma are in the wrong spot of the price.

Not American sorry senpai

How come? Seems fun to meet people in person like that

I ordered one yesterday and it arrives tomorrow, but I think it'll be worth the money especially since I plan on deving with it.

>should I buy a new GPU and a 144 Hertz monitor?
What's your current GPU? I'd say you should have atleast a 970 or 1060 if you want to do VR as smooth as possible.

More importantly, you need to make sure you have a good amount of space. I know it offers a standing mode, but you won't get the full experience unless you have minimum 6ftx6ft space.

Math is the same all around the world. Even in arab countries. Whats your excuse?

What the fuck? How's it related to math? In Europe we short numbers like this:
You do it differently in America.. it's not related to math you cuck

It's probably more sensible to buy the new GPU + 144hz monitor. VR isn't really practical yet.

I got a shit GPU so I need a new regardless.
(GTX 660)
My CPU is a Intel I5 something (currently not home, in China)
And have 8 gb of ram

To add: VR is more of a gimmick right now. If you had more to blow on it, I'd say why the fuck not.

But more and more games get support for it. And I like the idea of the games where you just meet and talk with people in VR

Numbers. Differently. Jolly old metric system. You posted the amount in US dollars, or your own funny peasant currency?

I'm from Denmark. We are not quite peasants but ok. And US dollars because all you fucks from America is too stupid to convert currencies or even speak a second language outside of Mexican or Spanish

If you want to spend the money on VR you can. The Vive is definitely the best headset to go with atm. There are a few experimental things like VR desktop you can play with.

>Mexican or Spanish
No one in the US speaks proper Spanish unless they're from Spain.

They don't even speak proper English.

fjols Your language is a confection in the US. Danish. Lol. What yall ever do worth the history books.

But on a serious note. Save the cash. VR will come down in price like 3d. Wait till the new year.

Eh, it varies.

VR is very good for spaceships and racing cars. Everything else feels like a gimmick or tech demo right now.

>husband of a family member
wut

>not fucking your brother in law for the hush money and buying VR kits with it

What about developing for it?
I keep hearing the consumers side, which I'm not really concerned with.

I think it'd be cool to try to create my own environment to interact with. It's fully supported in Unity/Unreal, and the Vive SDK looks to be quite easy to use.

Considering this is Sup Forums I thought there'd be more devs.

Well first of, chances are you root back to Denmark, since America is such a new country, all the citizens are from Europe and other countries.
Ludwig A. Colding's (1815–1888) neglected articulation of the principle of conservation of energy, and the foundational contributions to atomic physics of Niels Bohr (1885–1962); in this century Lene Vestergaard Hau (born 1959) in quantum physics involving the stopping of light, advances in nano-technology, and contributions to the understanding of Bose-Einstein Condensates, demonstrate the range and endurance of Danish scientific achievement

Sup Forums devs. You have to post from an arch linux build to get that Sup Forums board.

My grandmothers sisters husband died

Well personally I focuse more on infosec. I can do development, but not as fast as a dedicated developer

I've fucked with it. The trouble is, any VR application, even a non-game one, is going to lean heavily on game development-type skills: 3D modelling, making textures, shader programming, blah blah blah.

You can get going in Unity in about 5 minutes with the SteamVR kit in the asset store, but to build anything substantial is going to take a fair bit of time. You can't knock something out in a weekend like you could a regular desktop app unless you're already good at gamedev.

stepdad bought you something to win you over?

Don't worry op people care about you.

Not to mention we have the world's largest container shipping firm called Mærsk, we are the first country in the world to have our own flag, the developer of C++ is Danish too. We got a lot of things. And keep in mind we are only 5.6 million people in Denmark,. meaning that the few achievement we have are in theory more in ratio of people

funny how america is in your history books, but denmark is not in america's

c u c k e d

What.... No.. I don't know about your family, the woman is a family member, who married herself to a non-family member. It is the mother of my father's sister, whos husband died.

Depends. Most people read about Denmark in the history books, but I guess you wouldn't know hence they teach that in university, and as a highschool dropout it must be enough that you know about your own short history

how much bait are you going to take?

My bad it just sounded like you were angry at your mom for remarrying and was like "a husband of a family member" because you didn't want to legitimize him as "dad"

Going to take it all. I'm bored got nothing else to do

Well America-kun is a big guy.

Why? The Rift is objectively superior, AND cheaper.

Reddit's and Sup Forums's reasoning basically: newell botnet good :) zuckerberg botnet bad :(

this is the first post on Sup Forums ive read that said rift was better.

rift has objectively worse tracking
the headset does not allow you to wear glasses with it
the base stations arent as good as vive
vive looks more professional

Not really worth it, wait for 2nd gen

Lack of content, high price.
No, it always sucks to be an early adopter.

How would 2nd gen be any better aside from higher resolution?

Maybe better tracking?

Nah the tracking is already fine.

The finger gloves seems cool.
The only ground breaking thing that'd make me really want to say 'wait for x gen' is if they found a way to move around good. i dont think anyone wants to purchase an expensive walking pad

Rift has better lenses, Vive has some shitty fresnel ones. Rift has custom screens, Vive has a more visible screen door effect.
>rift has objectively worse tracking
Not noticeable to the human eye. Valve's solution will age really terribly when Facebook solves computer vision, which should be any minute now.
>the headset does not allow you to wear glasses with it
Who wears glasses in 2017 except some hipsters who want to look smart?
>vive looks more professional
Rift is more comfortable and lightweight.

POOR DECISION

Valve is working on the Lighthouse V2 currently and will be mass producing during November most likely.

Shipping of the product will begin early 2018. Please refrain from purchasing a Vive untill then. It will be cheaper and better!

"1 000 000"

Anything else is stupid tier

>Please refrain from purchasing a Vive untill then. It will be cheaper and better!
highly doubt it'll actually be early 2018.
as usual it'll get delayed and probably wont release until late 2018.

I can make $600 by working 2 weeks of OT, not a big deal for me.

Because using spaces between numbers really clarifies what you mean. Because numbers never end up in quotations naturally.

Valve has already confirmed that the numbers will be low on release. The main thing is that they are working with companies to find out how much they will need to ramp up production. It is definitely coming out early 2018 just not with a lot of them.

It doesn't matter how much you make, what matters is the increase between v1 and 2 of lighthouse. Their new controllers will likely debut with the v2

Ok, so I can just buy the lighthouses and be set. I'm sure they won't be more than $100.

It seems to me this is more of a range improvement. I really don't have the kind of space to see any major benefits from this upgrade since I have no issues with my tracking as is.

Even if Vive were to release a new headset which supports 4k res, I'd need a fucking Titan XP to get stable 90 FPS.

Still think besides devs, it's not worth getting it. Wish I can make something with one instead of just using it like every other consumer.

If your income is so expendable why are you even questioning purchasing one? Why not just get it? The three reasons to not own a Vive right now are price, current graphics card, and the upcoming release of V2. I feel like you would benefit from just buying two 1080ti's and a right at this point.

As someone who actually owns a vibe, I'd say avoid it. There isn't any good software and the resolution still sucks.

>Ok, so I can just buy the lighthouses and be set.
Actually I probably can't since the Vive headset would need to support those new lightboxes, but I'm sure they'll release a firmware update that makes it compatible.

>what matters is the increase between v1 and 2 of lighthouse
What's the big increase aside from the range and tracking?

>Why not just get it
its not expendable. I just found it to be be worth it for my case.

>I feel like you would benefit from just buying two 1080ti's and a right at this point.
Why's that? a single 1070 can handle any VR game at max res just fine. From the rumors I've read, V2 will have an audio strap(useless if you have headphones), wireless(I don't care about wires) and a better controller(Which I'm sure will be backwards compatible with V1.)

I highly doubt they're bumping up the res, because most people don't have $1200+ to spare on a GPU.

the Vive has issues with the wands. they have shit quality control and the touchpads will stop working after a while, and HTC has awful customer service and will take months to repair them except they won't actually repair them they will just take months to ship the same broken controllers back to you.

>should be any minute now.

t.rasheed

1 00 00 000

>VR thread
>Nobody even mentions there's around 8 new headsets that dropped a couple days ago.
They don't even need base stations.

>Who wears glasses in 2017

but the vive has this, in a limited space but still?

you mean your non-biological father

>a husband of a family member
So your wife's boyfriend?

All of you are stupid
numbers should be written without anything in them
only retards need spaces, commas or periods to read numbers

How do you represent the quantity of two and three fourths?

Also for the euros, is it called the decimal comma there or do you call it the decimal point even though you use a comma?

Next gen headsets should be coming out soon, but either way there are absolutely no games. I get a nice 1440p monitor and GTX 1080Ti instead.

Check again this time next year. The first second gen headsets (Pimax) are coming out sometime in the spring and we get to see the Volta lineup, I figure it'll take some time for stuff like foveated rendering and supersampling to be widely supported.

I mean yea if you got money to throw around its a pretty great experience. I wouldn't call it life changing but its something everyone should try in their life. If you get a Vive just promise you'll share it

This.

>I currently have $1.580, which I got from a husband of a family member.

Who cares? Is that relevant?

should i get a vive if i just want to make a cute waifu ai to play around with in my room

Rent a vive, there's no games but still fun to try out