>I use Cobol

I use forth.

>I use Lua

Wtf? I love js now

>I use ASM

>I use PHP

>I use basic

this

Probably not the right thread but im new to programming and cant get this to work, plz halp ;_;

#include
using namespace std;

// ask user for input between 0 - 100

main()
{
int feeling = 0;
cout feeling;

if (feeling < -1 || feeling > 100)
{
cout

what's the error?

>I use Fortran

what doesn0t work?

Error C4430 missing type specifier - int assumed. Note: C++ does not support default-int

- main()
+ int main()

You forgot int before main.

oh god im retarded, thanks guys

no problem buddy

OK kids its shill time, read Zed Shaw's "C the hard way", because for once in Zed's white trash life he as actually exposed C for what it is. So someone here just read the book which for some reason is not available on usual pirating outlets, and then we can move on from the C/C++ bullshit.

That's the most retarded way of using sepples.
All the down sides of using sepples compiler and not even using the languages offerings.

>All the down sides of using sepples compiler and not even using the languages offerings.
OK KIDS, WE ARE NOT EVEN USING THE """""""""""OFFERINGS""""""""""""" THAT SEPPLES PROVIDES US, WHY ARE WE NOT USING THE HOLY STL LIBRARIES THAT HAVE EVERY ALGORITHM KNOWN TO MAN??????????????????

Most of C++ sucks, though.

>I use frameworks that are written on top of jav*script

The only thing about C++ that sucks is cmake.

The only thing that sucks about C++ is
>OOP
>Inheritance
>Virtual functions
>Function overloading
>Operator overloading
>Templates
>Exceptions
>Constructors
>Destructors
>Lambdas
>Variable initialization
>STL
>Everything else

t. poor NEETs

enjoy finding job

You use what you need to use to make the code more readable and performing well.
Using OOP in absolutely everything because muh literal coding religion instead of just using Objects where you get a cleaner code solution is very stupid.

1.state the details(e.g. error messages,outputs,etc)
2.go to stack overflow

>I use object pascal

>I use Display lists

I never understand the MSpaint memes you guys post. Is that representing an idiot that is wearing a smug mask?

who /OpenGL 1.0/ here?

REPORTING IN

t.brainlet

pick any one of those features and I can tell you what's wrong with it.

I sadly started on 1.1

>i write nothing but asm open source clones of GB games and build them as ROMS

any .NET devs?

>>OOP
what a novel idea
>>Inheritance
mind blown
>>Virtual functions
wow, your programming language has inheritence
>>Function overloading
I can write 20 functions that do the same thing in a slightly different way, what freedom!!!
>>Operator overloading
wow, I can make an equal function so something I could do in a regular function, wow
>>Templates
you mean macros, right? using the name template makes macros soooo much more powerful
>>Exceptions
exceptions!!!! wow, another feature that every language has, but somehow its so much more powerful when C++ has it
>>Constructors
another feature that ever OO language has, how novel!!
>>Destructors
oh no, we dont have gc
>>Lambdas
another 'me too' feature, its actually just function pointers but we want to sound hip
>>Variable initialization
oh my fucking god I can initialize variables, sign me up, I am a fucking C++ slave for life!!!!
>>STL
the STANDARD TEMPLATE LIBRARY!!!!!!! wow, I love C++, they actually made a library of templates

SSSSSSSSAASAASAUAUAAUAUUSAUAUAAUAUUAUAUUACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Good , at least you have a job.

>I use D

>can't even tell when someone else is shitting on C++ too
C++ is shit, but so are the people who are overly eager to shit on it.

>OOP
It either fits your problem domain or not. And when it fits C programmers tend to reinvent OOP in C poorly (see gtk).
>Inheritance, virtual functions
See above
>Function and operator overloading
I also like to write "quaternion_add(q1,q2)" and "vector_multiply(v1,v2)" for my custom datastructures.
>Templates
Also reimplementing the same algorithms over and over again.
>Exceptions
Checking error codes IS slower on the happy path.
>Constructors, Destructors
RAII is the best thing about C++.
>Lambdas
It's just a syntactic sugar on functors. Functors are actually nice and allow for some optimizations that are not possible with function pointers.
>Variable initialization
I don't know what you mean here. The only thing that sucks balls here is uniform initialization, which is not actually uniform. They fucked it up bad.
>STL
It's getting better and better. You don't have to use the bad parts.
>Everything else
OK kiddo.

My criticism is not with the features themselves, but C++'s implementations of them. dtors, templates, lambdas and even OOP are all good ideas that C++ fucked up.
>You don't have to use the bad parts.
That's the defence that's always given by C++ programmers, but the fact is that the new C++ features which aren't crippled by their implementations are few.

How the implementation of lambdas, dtors and new STL features are fucked up? "I don't like the syntax" is not a valid criticism.
I can see how templates are bad, I can't wait till we have concepts.

>lambdas
C++ doesn't have proper interfaces, just abstract base classes. Since C++ didn't want to bloat lambdas with unnecessary vptrs, lambdas don't inherit from anything. Therefore, the only way to pass a lambda to a function (except in the cases where it can decay to a function pointer) is to use templates or the bloated and suboptimal std::function.
>dtors
Can't return errors, or anything at all. Not as broken as constructors which have much more cause to do such a thing and depend on exceptions or zombie flags to do it, one of which is broken and the other of which is suboptimal.
>new STL
STL in general is marrred by mistakes like std::map and std::vector. In terms of recent ones which are unnecessarily crippled (mainly by being a second class library feature rather than a library one) std::variant comes to mind.

Templates aren't too bad, and concepts are a sugar for what is already clumsily possible. But of course there are problems, like the source/header split, error messages and weird instantiation failures.

*rather than a language one

>variant as a language feature
IMHO it's better as a library feature. If it's possible to implement in library it should be implemented in library, no reason to bloat the already big language. I also don't see how std::variant is cripples as it is implemented now.
>lambdas a polymorphic types
This would be just as bloated as std::function's, I don't get your point. And then there would be no option for a lightweight lambda.
>dtors can't mark failures in any way.
Yeah, this sucks. I can't think of any good solution for this.

As a limitation of the implementation, you can't have two of the same type as different variants. A huge pita if you're trying to implement e.g. an AST where that situation would easily arise. If variants were a first class feature like C unions, you could just name the cases differently. Furthermore, they're misleading - it's supposed to be in only one state (one of its type parameters) but it's possible to get it in an empty state if your move ctor throws. And besides that it's awkward to use, the best way I've found to "pattern match" over one is to create a variadic template class that inherits from a bunch of lambdas and pass that to std::visit.
So, there are a lot of strings attached.
>This would be just as bloated as std::function's
Only since C++'s type system is too weak to distinguish between pointers to some class and pointers to some class extending another class. With this distinction you no longer need to add vptrs in monomorphic contexts and can inherit from ABCs at zero cost. At risk of sounding like a nu-male, look at Go interfaces or Rust traits (closures especially).

I use Python, post pics of me.

> I also don't see how std::variant is cripples as it is implemented now.
std::visit, std::valueless_by_exception

>I use C#

>I use Delphi

change "main()" to "int main()" and add a "return 0;" to the last line of your main block.

this

Python

The visual basic of unix

>I use Logo

You should make those if statements into an else-if chain like this

if () {
} else if () {
} else if () {
} else if () {
} else {
}

else-if chains are easier to read and should be used when you have mutually exclusive cases like you do here.

>I use vdhl

>Can't return errors
retard, there is a reason RAII is extremely recommended and VERY useful part of C++.

I use HTML

Burrrrapppfffrttt

>can't spell vhdl right

Wh-what's wrong with C?
Asking for a friend...

Nothing.
Ignore these faggots. They're the same type of faggots that go from post to post to say "LE XD NAZI" they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're autistic redditors.

>taking a shitpost seriously
C is a pretty old language that is good for certain things and not so good for other things. Nowadays it's used for kernel and systems programming, and embedded software. When it comes to languages, it's about using the right tool for the job. Don't use C for applications.

> tfw you're shitposting but get valid answers

OP probably displays the face of people that didn't listen to only to find themselves surrounded by GNU autotools, platform specific gettext bugs, obscure glib compatibility breakages, finding out that most C libraries out there are utter garbage when even compared to JS "libraries", dependency management sucks far more even than with C++ and many, many more.

Text substitution macros a shit.
No generics besides macros abuse and void*.
Arrays that decay to pointers a shit and semantically inconsistent. Also boilerplatey.
Declaration syntax is fucked and ugly.
Header files are a bitch to maintain.

That's... it, really. C is a small language so there wasn't much room to go dramatically wrong. It's probably the best at what it does.

In Haskell, this is just
feeling n | n < -1 && n > 100 = "ya big dummy!"
| n == -1 = "kys den"
| n >=90 && n >= (fmap feeling getLine)

>semantically inconsistent.
I understand everything except this

int x;
foo(x); // foo won't mutate my x

int y[10];
bar(y); // bar will mutate my y
Besides this, C has very strong rules about what's a value and what's a reference so it's easy to track what might cause nonlocal mutations. Also, arrays aren't pointers, before you give me any of that crap.

>It's probably the best at what it does.
It's not, though.
It killed of a number of technical better competitors in the beginning, think CPL. And as modern embedded development goes, it also killed a lot of better options here, because EEs are brainlets for a big part and enjoy a broken half-assed proprietary compiler for more than a well done proprietary compiler for another, more strict language.

>He doesn't program in assembly
You're not a brainlet are you?

>Also, arrays aren't pointers, before you give me any of that crap.
True, but they're similar enough to treat them as pointers. Not to mention that it's much easier to teach how pointers work by taking that approach.

Just be aware that you're technically making a mistake by using this approach (and remember while debugging) and you should be fine.

I don't teach C so I can't agree or disagree in that respect, but I feel like if you are taught that way then you'll get confused when your cute syntax sugar falls apart.

>i use html with KendoUI

>not programming in the language you created

Only if you're not made aware of the difference. Kinda like in school when i learned that you cant take the root of a negative... Only to later learn that it's actually perfectly fine to do so, even necessary sometimes. It's only hard if you have to un-learn the convenient lie.

>he programs in Rust

>{
>}
>{
>}
>{
>}
>{
>}

Man, i'm not a programmer but this is disgusting.

>we use Kotlin

>I use go

>Objects where you get a cleaner code solution
[FIZZ BUZZ DEVELOPS MORE ENTERPRISE]

It's you

>I use go, but I don't have a job for some reason

>I use Ruby on Rails

>I use VB.NET

>I use GO

>Thinking that programming is about having a job.

Wagie detected.

Nice butt.

FUCK

Well, I certainly want to Rail that Ruby.