Fine wine vs getting it right the first time

Fine wine vs getting it right the first time.
Which do you prefer?

I chose nvidea cause vega flopped, but I know it will be shit by the next generation.

vega 64 = 1170
1080 = 1150

Why would nvidia be shit by the next generation?

I like to know what I'm getting when I purchase something. I shouldn't have to pray for updates to improve my performance, and it isn't a guarantee that updates will improve them.

I haven't been happy with AMD GPUs. I just sold my RX 470 (for $75 more than I paid for it) and used the money to buy a used 1060 6GB. Nvidia just werks.

Ryzen was a similar experience for me as well. It took a few motherboard BIOS updates for me to get a stable OC'd system. But now that the dust has settled, I can't say that I regret it. It was worth the wait.

>1080 is superior than vega
>next gen 1080 will be a 1150 while vega will be a 1170
what kind of autism is this?

retarded post

I honestly don't know what to do. I have a 1080p144 freesync monitor. Don't plan to upgrade resolutions. I have enough money to purchase a high end graphics card. I could buy a 1080ti and just play everything above 144 making freesync pointless. On the other hand I could go for Vega 64 or 56 and wait for fine wine to kick in allowing to cards to become better than their current competition. However I feel like Volta is around the corner and I have no idea what to expect from that.

vega64 won't be that much more amazing than 1080ti, but pascal is getting a bit long in the tooth

because they do what apple does and release updates that bog down all of their old stuff

>Fine wine vs getting it right the first time.
More like "Fine wine vs getting it gimped over time". The choice is obvious, just look at that creators update for CPU and 17.10.2 for GPU gains.

So next gen my 980ti will be a gtx 1130, and my 1080ti will be a gtx 1150 while all the vega gpus become equivalent to next gen top of the line quaddros?

Nvidia cards love to break though, since the TNT2 days I've had 6 nvidia cards die on me, now I avoid nvidia like the plague

That's what AMDrones actually believe. Just ignore the 980 Ti over there still destroying the Fury X and giving Vega 56 a run for its money. We don't talk about that.

I have an hd7970. Maybe I should install it in my new system, because it probably fine wined into a gtx 1080 ti by now.

Kepler owners are comitting sudoku as their cards are now basically an entire tier worse compared to the AMD card they were competing against when new. Your 7970 fights a 780 these days.

This is likely more of a fault of the manufacturer.

I dont play any games but bought 750ti.

>bumpgate

k

>fine wine
That is just the dumbest thing because by the time it gets better, it is getting outclassed by the lower priced and more efficient new cards. Plus it takes 3-5 years when the fine wine starts taking effect is usually around the time you start looking to upgrade anyway.

>g-sync vs freesync
Dumb either way. Prior to Vega to was pointless to get a freesync monitor that was anything more than 1080p. Now that Vega is out you can buy an overpriced GTX 1070 that uses as much power as a 1080ti. G-Sync is dumb because you can either buy a 1080p monitor for a reasonable price, but a GTX 1070 or greater is just being wasted by such a low resolution. But to buy a G-sync ultra-wide or 4k you have to buy it with all this other Linus gaymer bullshit that makes the monitor cost $1,000 and all for pointless bullshit you will never use.

>CPUs
Honestly something of the least important component unless you are really doing something intensive like week long finite elements projects (where a 15% difference can mean a day) or video encoding.

>Your 7970 fights a 780 these days
This was the last AMD gpu I bough, because my next set of amd gpus caught on fire. That hd7970 is a trooper though I rmad it once, and it's been as strong s an hd7970 could be ever since.

Both vega cards will do 1080p@144hz just fine. Wait for partner boards.

I bought a Dell 1440p 144Hz G-Sync monitor recently for $375 for what it's worth. Horrible colors without calibration but a pretty good deal overall. No gamer bullshit and very subtle looking.

Excellent point on the fine wine bullshit too