/sqt/

Stupid questions thread
Ask stupid questions ITT (in this thread)
Sometimes stupid questions get stupid answers
Consult a search engine before posting, faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Acer-Predator-GeForce-Backlit-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C
cnn.com/TECH/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

stock os on my moto g2 is fucked

how to fix?

GPU died, warranty expired 6 months ago, heard some people had luck crying to EVGA corporate people and getting RMA'd anyways. Anyone have experience with this? Who do I send my sob story to?

Flash LineageOS.

No.

Photoshop the receipt

is lineage os best out of all the available roms?

how shitty are zotac cards?
how shitty is their rma?

Hey guys, I've been using Privacy Badger and Decentraleyes for a few days and Privacy Badger remained at 0 at all times while decentraleyes' counter is 0 too. Could it be that Ublock already gets everything, so Privacy Badger is useless while I don't visit sites that decentraleyes would be useful for? Thinking about removing them again.

Can I get a simple explanation of how ARP request replay attacks work?

first time PC builder here. Cleaned out my graphics card and CPU for the first time since finishing my build (in February 2015) and the CPU went down by about 25c which is great. I also cleaned and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU. But the graphics card hasn't been much different. Now when I play video games it hits low 70's when it used to hit low 80's. Is there anything I can do to get the temperature down? Should I clean and reapply the thermal paste in the card, too? I keep seeing on Google searches that 65c should be your graphics card max when you're gaming but mine stays around 67~72 on average. Would lowering my graphics settings fix this or is it a hardware issue?

They can check the part numbers on the gpu and find out what week they were created.

Phone microSD card started stuttering and freezing the entire phone. Pic related is me trying to bulk copy everything - it copies a few fine, then locks up. I can also happily read the entire card, it only fucks up when I copy. Any ideas?

Badger isnt something that shows a "0" counter anywhere. It is a slide on every website you go to, and at the minimal it will disable google analytics

Keep them installed

Well shit, I'd left it like this for about twenty minutes and suddenly it goes "interrupted, can't find storage medium". Hit "skip file" and it copied about twenty things, then got stuck again.

bad memory on the card, i know file recovery software like recuva works well for hard drives, dunno if it supports SD cards

pls reply, Google is not helping very much

But it shows a number in the icon...

I have a suspicious feeling this has frozen for the same reason. Shit.

Wont hurt to do so, maybe the GPU was bottle necked by the CPU and now that the CPU isn't throttling due to heat anymore it's working more. Who knows.

What GPU? Different GPUs have different thermal limits.

Speccy says:
S22E310 (1920x1080@60Hz)
3072MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (ATI AIB)

So there are countries where encryption is illegal.
What does this actually mean? Do i make myself a criminal if i take a piece of text, and apply caesar encryption to it? Do i make myself a criminal if i use VeraCrypt? Where exactly is the cut-off line of what's illegal and what isn't

Is anything over 16gb of RAM a pissing contest, or is that just poorfag logic?

Also, 3200mhz or 2133mhz? Worth the price diff?

32gb is standard/future proof.
Shit is going to continue to use more and more ram

Does Radeon Settings actually work and help optimize? Feel like it's a meme

I want to create a slideshow of pictures in folders and have them change every 30-120 seconds.

Googled it and it seems like the default windows slideshow doesn't let you change time intervals. Any idea what I could do to achieve this? Using w7. Lightweight program recommendations are fine too.

You'd be better of doing it on a per application basis

If someone were to buy a cheap new laptop today, for simple use ONLY (browsing) should they get 4GB or 8GB of RAM?

Is the airline gonna give me shit if my carry-on is about an inch taller and wider than the max or is it not really an issue?

They're going to strip you and search your anal cavity for heroin user.

Where was the nvidia option for 1 or 2 display performance modes?

I'll make it as short as possible: I had ssh login directly to root via ssh key for a while now and want to change to a sudoed user - I have already created a user and added it to the sudo group - do I now just create a ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on that user? but what do I have to remove from the root /etc/ssh, since there isnt any authorized_keys and the sshd_config has "#AuthorizedKeysFile" commented out, but I see some .pub files, which probably got created with the installer script of the server - do I have to delete them?

tl;dr: how to change from root ssh_key login to sudoed user ssh_key login

2x16gb sticks or 4x8gb sticks?

Is 3200mhz and above worth the price difference?

I honestly can't justify spending $500 on 2x16gb 3200mhz, but it's the only one that doesn't make me feel like a complete pussy

I'm fine with 4GB for normal computer usage like watching things, web browsing, programming, skype calls, university/office stuff, etc.. This doesn't include gayming or stuff like video rendering. I guess if you do those, then more is better

4x for more bandwidth
No.
You will when in 2 years firefox/chrome take up 16 gb with zero tabs open, just idling there.
Its all about caching

So I'm migrating files to a new pc (win10 to win10)
So far I've backed up %appdata% and /documents/, what else do I need?

Move over the whole user file if the name is the same

Intel doesn't care about 2666mHz right now
Ryzen's performance is almost linearly correlated to mem speed due to architecture

won't the UUID be different though

Look up "Take ownership"

I'm looking into getting a router because my current one is like 10ish years old.
Is DD-WRT worth it or not?
What the hell do USB ports on a router offer?
And is dual/tri-band worth it?

Again, does signal messenger support webmaster video?

If you're going to get custom firmware, go all the way and get something open wrt compatible.
It's worth it if you know how to use the various features. Good for network wide VPN pass through, or cutting off windows 10 from spying on everyone's web traffic.

>Is DD-WRT worth it or not?
If you take time to configure it, it is
>What the hell do USB ports on a router offer?
Allows you to expose an usb device to the entire network, so you could put say, a usb hdd on it and you could stream video from it directly on the router.
>And is dual/tri-band worth it?
Only if you need it

Well it's a soft duffle so I guess it's a risk I can take

how the actual fuck do you make the echo stop in Discord? I don't know what the fuck is the matter but my friend's echo just will not stop no matter what either of us do and it's annoying as all hell. We're trying to play games but he's on a laptop and his discord echoes like crazy. It's definitely a problem on his end because all my other friends who use it are on PCs and I've never had this issue. We've blocked out his laptop mic from the settings, we've both altered our discord settings and nothing has made even a slight difference in a fucking hour of dealing with this bullshit. Can someone please tell me what the fuck to do about this?

>more bandwidth
that's not how it works
Unless you're using one of those high end desktop motherboards, you're gonna be restricted to dual-channel. It doesn't matter if you're using 4 sticks or 2 sticks.

why is network manager so fast to reconnect to wifi after suspend/boot? it connects almost instantly, whereas with wicd and wpa_supplicant there is a 8-10 second delay.

How do I best optimize my settings for smooth gaming? I have a R7 370

What's best laptop for ~$1000 for gayman?

The one with the most red lights

Is there a Foobar addon that displays the media controls and now playing similar to this Windows 10 component, but for Windows 7
This also shows the song playing in your lock screen, but I doubt there'd be that for Win7.

I need a laptop faggot fuck off is this good? amazon.com/Acer-Predator-GeForce-Backlit-G3-571-77QK/dp/B06Y4GZS9C

What's a good way to clean the inside of the monitor(the part where the screen is inside the frame)?

Also, if there's a loud fan but hwinfo64 says everything is okay, is it just something noisy I don't have to worry about otherwise?

Yes, by far. You get weekly updates even.

I picked up a disc rip as a bin & cue and I'm assuming the only way to do anything with it is to mount it like an iso or at least burn it and re-rip. What's the current go to for this? I thought it used to be daemon tools but it looks like their free installer as adware.

Yeah but what matters by law is when you bought it in the store (at least here in Yurop that is the law).

ok so i just had a very strange occurance

i was using an online games search function that is ran through an in program browser and i opened the page to get a message reading a third copyright warning from time warner cable that wanted me to hit acknowledge but in all of the other browsers on my computer i was able to use them normally even internet explorer that and the company i am through has not been time warner cable in about 2 years its now spectrum on top of that i have not torrented in ages and only watch things through netflix/hulu and the like could this have been some strange error on my ISPs part or was i getting someone elses message? oh and i never got warnings 1 and 2 just jump right to 3rd

They keep track when they release batches.They find the info on the card and can pinpoint it to when the batch of cards when out. Then they see its 6 months past the warrenty period of that batch of hardware

More flies with honey user

Why do people use these? Only probable reasons I have in mind are:
1. Being a freetard
2. Being paranoid
3. Using a shit email service because of 1 or 2 that needs a local program to be functional
4. Having several mails (education/job) and wanting to read them in the same place
5. Wanting to have desktop notifications for new mail
Are there any other reasons?

Thunderbird fuses my five emails to a single client, uses gpg keys, rss, irc, literally everything. I can back up the whole dman implementation and move it to another laptop in 3 clicks, just need to retype passwords.

I'm tsundere idiot

Looks good, still avoid Acer laptops, get something from MSI.

And avoid U series CPUs, only get HQ CPUs.

You actually attract more flies to vinegar then honey

How does an e5450 compare to moderm CPUs?

25% of the power of a last gen I5.
That is a 10 year old CPU user.

How do I get into JavaScript? Is there an IDE I can use for it?

Not too shabby desu my senpai. Worth 13 dollars.

is dd-wrt still the best router firmware

I guess its fine but not really efficient.
A $70 G4600 beats it by a huge amount.

Good if you only have a old motherboard tho.

Depends on your build of it. Open wrt is nice because you can load modules from a repo to add more functions.
They're both loads better than a vanilla load out consumer router.

How can I tell whether or not I can upgrade a laptop? I got a used one that has 6GB of RAM, which may imply that it's modifiable and was upgraded previously, but I want to know if I could also upgrade the CPU.

I got a core 2 duo PC for free and internet says the socket, 775(?), can fit a xeon, 771(?), if you use a sticker. 7 bucks for the sticker, 13 for the CPU.
I have an old 20 pin PSU for the motherboard, so, just werks TM.

laptop cpus are almost always soldered on I believe

What's the best site to news about tech and science?

boards.Sup Forums.org/g/catalog

cnn.com/TECH/

I want have a FSF distro, but I just like Gentoo.

@FSF-APPROVED License doesnt work at all..

If i use @FREE is it then still FSF approved?

Fcking android keyboard, I mean webm

Wasting time
This is Puppy Linux coexisting peacefully with some other files of mine
It works like this but it's also ugly
I tried putting it in a folder called "autorun" but that breaks it
Is there a better solution than hiding it?

Irfanview

You'd have to mess with the bootloader on the drive and probably not worth it

What's the problem? Files cluttering your cdrom?

I've never tried to connect a PC to a TV before. If I have the required HDMI cable, do you guys think a laptop with no dedicated GPU could play a movie for a fairly large TV?

what cpu does the laptop have?

im using ffmpeg to rip music off youtube but it cuts the last second off
how can i fix this?

you're right, i'll just hide it.
I just think it's cool I can read files from a Windows PC without knowing the login this way.

It's actually not a CD rom, it's a flash drive. Should change that.

Use youtube-dl.

Can I use a seed to "store" a set of random numbers?

Details:
Say I have some operation that requires me to store generate a whole bunch of random numbers (e.g. a random projection). Rather than storing the random numbers, is it reasonable for me to just use the seed and pretend it's a "compressed" version of the random array that I can "decompress" whenever I want?

got a 2013 thinkpad Yoga for my bday. Saw it had a 256gb samsung 940 evo so I figured Id replace it with my main rigs 120gb.

I swapped em. but when both rigs booted up the laptop said it still had the 256 and desktop stil has the 120.

Even though the desktop is recognizing this as a Samsung 840 evo

Could it have been some chinkery (though it wasn't bought overseas or thru ebay) I'm going to put it back in the laptop ans see if it reads and actually holds 256gb.

Unless I'm doing something wrong in the Bios?

ACHI is on theyre running on sata 3 ports

Benchmarks for 1080 vs 1070 tell me about 20% rough difference

Friend tells me 3%

I'm assuming my friend is getting his information from someone that's either bottlenecking thier card. Probably true right?

Sure. That's why programming languages let you pass in your own seed - repeatability.

Yes, if you do the same functions with the seeds you'll get the same results

In the bios you should be about to reread the drive

I guess I'm more concerned with whether it's numerically okay. I'm mostly surprised I've not seen it brought up so far (I guess because I haven't encountered too many random algorithms.)

Also is it okay to use seeds to generate more random seeds?

its a shitty dell A20 Bios
don't think it has the option

Is it acceptable to put a dead squirrel I found in my backyard in the garbage can? Or is it not allowed to dispose of dead animals in this manner?

Excel shit

How do i fetch data from a table on another sheet to another table from another shit without having to fetch the other date below the table 1

>Sheet 1 Table 1 Data 1 to Sheet 2 Table 1
>Sheet 2 Table 1 gets Data from Table1 Sheet 1 Table 1 but also get the other Data below Table 1 Sheet 1

I need a restrictive range for it