What went so wrong?

What went so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

9to5mac.com/2017/10/23/apple-suppliers-imac-pro/
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/FZgWHN
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GH9DtJ
hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_-_fire_strike/rankings?hardwareTypeId=videocard_2878&cores=1#start=0#interval=20
hwbot.org/submission/3683195_gorod_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_27554_marks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No drivers Xd amd BTFO by Volta!!

Vega = 1070

Nothing? they're doing well

Nothing really. Just baby Sup Forumstards thinking that it would somehow be a GP102 killer which would cause price pressure on Nvidia.

Vega met all of its goals for those who had realistic expectations.

Volta is to going to be like the jump from G80/G92 to GT2xx. A minor improvement in gaming performance overall.

1.5 years too late.

chink&pajeet engineers and pajeet driver team

You don't think their heat generation and lack of non reference cards are problems?

Performance GPUs have always been blast furnaces for the past decade.

1080Ti and Pascal Titan consumes the same amount of power at full load.

Retailer pricing and late release.

Most benchmarks I've seen on cards such as the EVGA (not at all the best cooling solution out there) put it at 75-80c under load keeping clocks high. The vega 64 however has an 85c standard and frequently has to throttle to maintain a safe temperature. I have no doubt the issue would be solved with non reference cards but they simply aren't there.

EVGA 1080* which is the 64 equivalent, not the ti.

Apple put in a huge order for Vega for their Macbook Pro's. This meant resources had to be diverted away from stand alone Vega becaue Apple want the best binned chips. This resulted in less than ideal stock levels and AIB partners also being stuck waiting.

Addiotnally HBM2 is limited and running slower than it was anticipated to be. It's costlier to make and Hynix didn't get their fab making them in time so we are/were stuck with Samsung for now. Then of course there is the driver situation and the 4 triangles bottleneck. Not to mention the bundle bullshit. All in all it has led to lack of stock at MSRP although that is now changing somewhat. I got mine for £380 and after flashing to 64 and undervolting am pleased wwith the results.

>after flashing to 64
I read that they've disabled this now due to "windows 10 security". Is that true?

MAcbook pro's don't use Vega chips. They're Polaris.

1.5 year late
Overhyping
GP104 performance
Chip big like the GP102
Housefire
No drivers
No Aib
Fake launch price
HBMeme production issues
WAIT
etc

Nah thats BS. Also, everything that can currently be altered with bios flashing on Vega can also be done with registry mods.

So if I got the 56 now I can flash it and have an almost-64 for cheaper? Sorry I'm new to building, let alone modifying stuff like this. I'd just have to download the ROM, flash it with some ati software and restart, correct?

Vega 56 owner here
>1.5 year late
Didnt care as I just needed to upgrade when they were released
>Overhyping
I've taken a look at the benchmarks and press reviews before buying
>GP104 performance
Wait until Nvidia gimps Pascal
>Chip big like the GP102
Performs like GP102 in Blender Cycles
>Housefire
I put it under water and it is sitting at a comfy 45C while being unlocked to draw 365W of power (PP Tables).
>No drivers
The drivers are quite ok and bugs can be worked around if you are no brainlet.
>No Aib
Dont care, reference PCB is great and there are waterblocks and the Morpheus II.
>Fake launch price
Got mine at MSRP.
>HBMeme production issues
My 56 does 980Mhz on the HBM without flashing Vega64 bios, so the vHBM is still 1.25V
>WAIT
I bet you are waiting for Volta atm.

NVidia is superior?

>Overhyping
Meh, not by much. The suggestion that they'd beat the 1080ti was absurd but the 64 trades blows with the 1080.
>No drivers
The drivers are available and have been since launch.
>No Aib
Yea, not at launch.
>Fake launch price
No, that was accurate. Retailers have been dicking everyone because they think miners will overpay.
>HBMeme production issues
HBM actually is a preferable alternative but production is nowhere near where it needs to be.

Yeah either this or you grab a registry file from overclock.net
I would suggest you to not flash the bios as this voids your warranty and is not as flexible as registry edits (+ the risk of bricking it).
There is a nice editor with a GUI for modding Vega registry values where you would basically just adjust some wattage settings and HBM voltage and the card would behave as if you flashed V64 bios.

>all those "issues" that you addressed
and you still paid money for that piece of shit? No wonder AMD doesn't give a fuck about releasing garbage prematurely.

That sounds great. I'll definitely look into it and consider it for my upcoming build. Thanks user

9to5mac.com/2017/10/23/apple-suppliers-imac-pro/

>Xeon
Considering you can't overclock it, I'd rather have threadripper.

>The suggestion that they'd beat the 1080ti was absurd
Not true with all these transistors

Maybe legit in compute but that's not why people are buying Vega 64s for.

>actually buying WC block for vega
Either complete retard or paid shill.

I thought about it like that: Either get a 1070 and a waterblock or Vega56 and a waterblock. When OCed, both are the approximately the same performance. This is the *NOW* situation.

In one year the 1070 will be as fast as it is now. Drivers are already mature and there are no software improvements to be made.

In one year the Vega card will be at least as fast as it is now. There is a chance that the card gets faster. Maybe yes, maybe no, future will tell. But it also won't be slower than now.

Besides that, I have a 144Hz Freesync panel and I wouldn't want to have tearing again.

I dont think it is retarded to want a silent computer. If I bought an Nvidia, I would also have watercooled it.

>In one year the ...
No offense, but you're brain seems broken.
In one year I'll check out how much these vega cards are off ebay after their potential is fully realized. It might even be a good bargain by then.

>sento
>slut
come on now

s

Has this actually happened with any series other than the 2xx series? 3xx and sinceforth have all been g2g and havent gotten driver performance gains over time

It happened with every GCN card. 7000 series improved for a year after launch, 200 did the same. 390(x) are the same chips as 200 series so they already had their optimizations. Tonga benefited when games were optimized for FuryX and Polaris is still seeing improvements.

Hi all, I made this build
>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/FZgWHN
over the last couple weeks and I'm pretty happy with how it looks. However I'm still not decided on it due to present cost and also that in maintaining 144hz into the future. Because of that I decided to throw together an AMD build to see what I could come up with for a bit less but that would still be something new and exciting to me. I'd be using the regedit for 64 BIOS/changes.
>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/GH9DtJ
What do you think?

woops wrong thread

probably going to get the vega 64 liquid desu

Yes, because amd kept releasing the same gpu, so previous gpus benefitted from that as a byproduct.

64 liquid is great but you could also get a reference 64 and the Alphacool Eiswolf AIO for the same money. V64 liquid starts throtteling at 65C. Vega with an Eiswolf will never reach that temp.

>Alphacool Eiswolf AIO
quite pricy on amazon. ekwb water block is a fair amount cheaper

If you already have a loop, the EK stuff is better than AIO ofc. Do also have a look at the Aquacomputer Kryographics Vega. It is the most beautiful block for Vega out there imo.

>if you already have a loop

not sure what that means, I have a Fury X, I would assume if I bought a water cooler add on, it would be a standalone thing

EK is just the waterblock only. You would need to get a pump, a reservoir, tubung, fittings, coolant, radiator ... whereas the Eiswolf is a full preassembled and prefilled kit.

wew lad, thanks for that tip

people had the unrealistic expectation of it competing with the 1080ti despite nothing indicating it would
even for the performance it's barely worth it at msrp, which it almost never sells at because of shortages in the hbm2 memory it uses

Besides being launched with half the uArch disabled?
Nothing wrong.

Indians.

It is called pajeets you goddamn racist.

Everyting

Amd fuckin Sucks m8

what did you expect u cunt

gdi lol

Thunderbolt

Absolutely nothing?

show me those temps user and while you're at it record the sound it makes with load

Average Temp is something like 70C with that level of OC, noise doesn't matter when you're doing benchmarks like that.

Will be putting it under liquid as soon as an easy cheap kit exists for Vega.

>Either get a 1070 and a waterblock or Vega56 and a waterblock
What was wrong with just getting a gtx 1080 without a waterblock?

Have you tried changing the thermal paste? Most standard pastes used are ass.

I hear the Kryo stuff is good for this but to be honest if I am going to open up the GPU I may as well wait for a better third party cooling optione.

>wanted the silver 64
>instantly sold out
>selling on ebay for 700+

Even the third party ones use shit paste though, they just suffer less by slapping a bigger heatsink and more fans on top.

Alternatively just nig rig it, I glued an Intel fan on the back of my reference GTX570 because it was an overheating piece of shit. Figured why not have a fan blowing on the back too...
It helped a lot though even though it looked autistic.

Noise. I am running a full system loop with a 360 and a 240 with 1000RPM max. and it cannot be heared over ambient.

>tfw the system you built in 2011 and dropped a new graphics card into this year outperforms AMD's flagship hardware from 2017

The absolute STATE of AMD and the people who buy their shitty products.

More like the absolute state of Intel. Minor IPC increases since 2011 are what causes this.

>no drivers
>no yields
>no AIBs
>doesn't compete with 1080ti, barely competes with base 1080
>ridiculous power requirements for 64 models

>no drivers
Ye.
>no yields
Your dad works at GloFo?
>no AIBs
Kudos to Apple.
>doesn't compete with 1080ti, barely competes with base 1080
Well, no drivers!
>ridiculous power requirements for 64 models
How is it any different from other big die cards since forever.

Did you buy a 1080ti for your 1080p display? Why?

The people who really overclock vega have gotten up to 22,000 in firestrike, you're seriously bottlenecking that GPU

hwbot.org/benchmark/3dmark_-_fire_strike/rankings?hardwareTypeId=videocard_2878&cores=1#start=0#interval=20

nearly 23,000* actually

top stock 1080ti result is 27,000

hwbot.org/submission/3683195_gorod_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_27554_marks

>What went so wrong?
on top of everything else people have already bitched about: no SR-IOV support in consumer level cards.

even if they cut it down from 8 or whatever simultaneous VMs down to 2, it would be enough to have much better functioning 2-in-1 workstations, sandboxing Windows, etc.

Nothing's being bottlenecked, dummy. Fire Strike's overall score is irrelevant in that sense. The overall score is heavily based on your CPU score from the physics section, and simply having more cores raises your score. A stock Poozen 1700 destroys a 7700K in the physics section of Fire Strike and raises your overall score, yet in actual gaming, it would be bottlenecking a 1080 Ti and the 7700K wouldn't.

What actually matters as far as the GPU goes is the graphics score, and just over 30k is a standard result for a 1080 Ti, even with the most powerful CPUs around.

>stock 1080ti
>links to a benchmark of a 1080 Ti overclocked to 2.1GHz paired with a 6950X overclocked to 4.6GHz

Nice one.

Stock cooling

look at the graphics score, nearly 34,000 vs your 31,000, your CPU is bottlenecking that card, and are you running a 1080ti on a 1080p 60hz display? that's a 4k 60hz or 1440p 144hz card.

It's funny because you could've gotten a 1080 which would be better than the vega + waterblock

>look at the graphics score, nearly 34,000 vs your 31,000, your CPU is bottlenecking that card

No it isn't, dumbdumb. My 1080 Ti just isn't overclocked to 2.1GHz.

Your GPU is likely already boosting to close to that.

If you really don't think CPUs can bottleneck GPUs or something in firestrike underclock your CPU to like 2ghz

>1080 which would be better than the vega + waterblock
How is 1080 + waterblock better than Vega + waterblock?

No, it boosts to the low 1900s out of the box. And it doesn't matter whether they CAN or not. Mine isn't, so why would I care? Why would I perform some arbitrary non real-world test? I'm happy enough in knowing that I enjoy a better gaming experience than any Vega owner on the planet.

>3770K @ 4.6GHz + 1080 Ti = 32053 graphics score
>5960X @ 4.7GHz + 1080 Ti = 30318 graphics score

Clearly that 5960X is a CPU bottleneck and it's not just different overclocks on the graphics card.

>I'm happy enough in knowing that I enjoy a better gaming experience than any Vega owner on the planet.
That's not even guerilla marketing.

>I'm happy enough in knowing that I enjoy a better gaming experience than any Vega owner on the planet.

But I'm gaming at 4k 60hz with free-sync on my Vega GPU my combo costs as much as your GPU

You never answered if you're running a 1080ti with only a 1080p display

Who cares at what temperature your hardware runs at? GPUs are usually thermal throttled at 100C, anything below that is fair game

Wanna earn some extra cash bby?

enjoying my 1600 core and 1100 memory @ 220W

fantastic card for 399 and primitive shaders will really help

It's competing this well even with broken ass mostly Fiji drivers as well

I really wish AMD would FOSS their entire platform(s), would help them out a ton.

xbonex ports on vega will make the 1080ti weep

Well boost 3.0 on any 1080/ti card will go all the way to 1,987mhz given low enough temps.
That's without any big power consumption or longevity trade off.

My EK 1080 will boost to 2,012mhz all by itself.
And that's without adding more voltage.

And how is it better than Vega 56 + waterblock?

W H E N

N O W
Unless you want an AIB card; if that - so never.

Should I get a 1600 or 1700 for gayman with a vega 64?

Neither. 8700k.

I have a VEGA 64 at 1630mhz, can confirm it gets nowhere near those temps. Kill yourself

That's ~$310 more than a 1700 inc mobo and fan user

Then get fucking 1600.
Cheap and powerful enough to do everything.

Simmer down mate I'm just wondering if the $100 or so difference for the 1700 is worth it (and if the cores will make a difference now and in the future)

vega ftw

MAGIC DRIVERS

You can always upgrade to Zen+/Zen2 in the future.
But WHEN?

depends on what you do, if you need 4 more threads then 100bux is worth it, if you wont, then it's going to perform as expensive 1600

Poo in loos
Too late
Not cheap enough