I wanna get into photography as a hobby, not professionally, and want a nice but compact camera

I wanna get into photography as a hobby, not professionally, and want a nice but compact camera.
What are some options to look into? I don't want to spend more than 400€, any brands to avoid? What should I look into?

First, go to /p/. Second, lurk on /p/. Third, when you post about this in /p/, don't make a new thread, post in the gear thread.

Anyway the tldr version is that no compact camera is very good. They have the same sensors in them that smartphones have, tiny and with poor noise and low-light performance. They just have shitty superzoom lenses in front of them. (A good rule of thumb with lenses is that the longer the zoom range, the crappier the optics. You have to trade something away to get zoom range.) So unless you're willing to get an interchangeable-lens camera, and are interested in actually owning and using different lenses for different things (note that one lens can cost 400 yuros easily, and lots of lenses cost a lot more) then you should just use your phone.

Buy used RX100m3 or RX100m4
/thread

>nice but compact

That monstrosity is neither.

>no compact camera is very good.

Ricoh GR or Sony RX100

Nikon, cheap bodies, expensive lens
Canon, expensive body, cheap lens

>pic related: my travel/vacation camera

>no compact camera is very good. They have the same sensors in them that smartphones have
Cool story

seriously It's actually a decent board that isn't nearly as shit as this one and you'll get some good advice.

Where do you see a sensor in there lmfao

>35mm full frame Exmor

>It's actually a decent board

No it isn't lol.

All the pictures people post are absolute crap.
And the gearfagging is even worse.

Oh sorry I saw "frame" and just assumed they were mentioning the metal it's made of for the 4th time

only compact camera with a 35mm sensor is sony RX1.
Who would pay $2,400 for a camera without an interchangeable lens???
Sure, it's an exception, but that doesn't change that the camera is shit.

>compact

Sony Exmor sensors have been in 2 iPhones

better than this one.

oh, haha, this is even better, you linked the RX1r2! Which costs an even more exorbitant $3,800! Literally more than a D850 without interchangeable lenses!

They're correct, the camera they linked actually is a compact, since you can't take the lens off of it. But no, any interchangeable lens camera with nice lenses is going to be huge, especially when it's got a 70-200 1:2.8 on it, like the cameras you linked.

OP, if you want a compact camera with an electronic viewfinder and interchangeable lenses, get a used sony nex-7. If you want a DSLR, get a canon 7D used.

Except this one is about 50 times bigger (without exaggerating).

you need a hasselblad

Stick to a nikon or a canon, the kit lens (18-55) are supverb forma everything, stay away from micro 4/3 (sony etc...).

Canon t5i and nikon d5300, both are small and great quality.

I repeat, do not fell for memes /p/ suggestions.

t. /p/ fag

Maybe a used Canon Powershot G1 X ?

any shitty, cheap camera in good condition, then upgrade every 3 months as your skills improve

It's usually IMX sensors baka

Aiming and button pushing skills?

makes me wonder as well. what do people actually do, just buy expensive gadgets and spend all day trying to get a nice shot? doesn't sound too different from fishing.

>Niggoncuck

go take a nice picture then if it's so easy. I bet you know nothing about how to frame and compose a visually pleasing image, and I strongly doubt you'll be able to create something that's interesting to look at for more than a second.

Getting the perfect shot is the goal, but I enjoy the whole going outdoors to shoot a lot, and that is why I do it

/p/tards think photography is art. Don't listen to those liberal arts day.

*Liberal arts fags

I bought a used RX100M3 last year. Would upgrading to an Alpha 6000 or 6500 be worth it?

No unless you're buying a crapton of expensive lenses as well. Swap /add the RX10 whatever newest version if you want telephoto

> I wanna get into photography as a hobby, not professionally, and want a nice but compact camera.
If you want compact, there's the Canon 100D or 200D.
They're small and light, pretty decent, and not very expensive.

Also, you'll generally want to spend more on the lenses than the camera body.

A sigma 50mm 1.4 DG HSM can be bought used for around ~$300 USD and is very sharp.

get cheap dslr. photography as a hobby will surely work better when you have all of the dslr features.

some rebel + canon 50mm f/1.8 sounds like great start, but with 400 euro you can probably even find some kind of used canon 60d in good condition

>buying non dslr camera
get the cheapest dslr you can afford

Nope, with 6000 it won't be much of an upgrade, with 6500 it will cost alot also zeiss lenses costs abnormal and non-zeiss are soft.

buy a used Sony Alpha 5000.
It's basically the ThinkPad of cameras and more than good enough for a hobby photographer

Buy a used a6000 (body only) and some vintage lenses (pentax, canon, Nikon 50s). You can find those lenses for $50, sometimes less.

It's mirrorless so you have your choice of lenses, provided you have the proper $10 adapter.

This will have 2 benefits:
You'll be forced to learn concepts such as depth of field, as you will have to manually focus.

You get a camera with a modern-enough sensor and good image quality.

Stay away from shitty low-end Canon kits.

Also, avoid the trap of using super slow shutter speed to capture water all the time. It has it's place, but don't think you're being creative simply because you blurred the water.

Sonyfags can't stay in there whole fucking containment board ffs.

Op first post was best post for you

If you want the most compact APSC cameras - Ricoh GR / GRII, Fuji X70. All with 28mm full frame equivalent lens.