/wt/ - Watch Thread $17,752,500 Edition

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=oufOIzzNOq4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread: boards.Sup Forums.org/g/thread/63076353#top

Other urls found in this thread:

watchesbysjx.com/2015/01/explained-the-fine-art-of-black-polishing-aka-speculaire.html
youtube.com/watch?v=fOYs84heDb4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why are platinum Rolex watches more expensive than gold ones when platinum is cheaper?

As of October 23 2017, gold is $1,282 an ounce while platinum is only $927.

Yet platinum Daydate 40's seem to be about $10,000 more expensive than the gold models.

News, Paul Newman's Paul Newman Dayton sold for $15.5 million
Didn't he have a couple of them? I remember reading about a second one his wife gave him with a special different message on the back.

If you mean the one that said "Drive Carefully; Me", then that was the one that just sold.

That's the only one his wife gave him

Muh Paul Newman though. Meanwhile the unique gold and steel Dayonta sold for something like $130k right after.

>$15.5 million

$17,752,500 including buyer's premium as in OP

I think platinum is harder to work with compared to gold. Also the public perception is that it's 'better'.

This sale proves once again that Pop Culture >>> Engineering/Science/Technology

Who the fuck actually bought the paul jewman?

i was able to be 1m close to that watch, ask me anything.

Guess goy

Jay Z

Saw this 5029 in person was fantastic

I can't believe this went to a commission 300k compared to some of the other pieces.

So... when are we going to have a Mudmaster for small wrists?

Hopefully never

Get a Baby-G, bitch-boi.

Hey, shaved-arm LHD guy: Are your wrists actually 8 inches? Your skx looked to fit similarly to mine, but my wrists are 7.5 in.

If you have a wrist shot of your old Pelagos I'd appreciate it, since I'm considering a blue one down the line.

New strap

Does the black bay 36 come with the in house?

Anybody still watching the live stream? Has the dufour come up?

Can someone post the 4 panel movement comparison pic of finishing?

Looks like an ETA from a glance.

Here.

watchesbysjx.com/2015/01/explained-the-fine-art-of-black-polishing-aka-speculaire.html

shit like this is what really gets me.

Got a ~6.5 inch wrist here boys what are my options besides slav shitters? plastic surgery?

classic dress watches

Casio

You can do

do not listen to this person do not wear 42mm watches

lovely

My wrist is 6.5" here:

whered you get the band? having issues finding a nice 21mm band, also how are you guys liking your bambinos?

man I wish the power reserve on back was more common
I personally hate power reserves on the front (ruins some grand seikos imo) but it would be nice to have it there to check it before you put it on

Post sexy vintage peices.

That watch is incredible. It's a Credor micro-art studio haute horlogerie piece in Grand Seiko clothing. Retails for $55,000 apparently.

Better dial than the meme snowflake imo.

Stupid question: does the 38mm case look too small on my wrist?

I'm thinking of putting in a field watch style dial and different hands, but I'm not sure if I should stick with this size or move up to the skx007 for this mod.

... vs the 42mm skx007

>field watch style dial
You want the 38 for that mod, and in any case I think the 38mm size looks great on you anyway.

Why is it on your right hand? You're not some kind of LOSER are you?

Also the 42mm looks much better IMO.

this was my initial line of thinking. I just hadn't actually tried on the skx013 before now.

This looks fine, 38 almost looks too small.

Don't listen to and . Field watches are traditionally smaller sized watches. 42mm makes no sense for the specific mod you intend to do.

>2017
>not being left handed

this dial w/ a black date wheel

these or similar hands.

Mod the 013, the chapter ring and date wheel are worth replacing. It will look better as a field watch than a diver as far a proportions go.

Also, respond to me pls.

Why are Meistersingers so expensive? You're putting less hands on the watch, shouldn't it be cheaper? Are there any respectable watch brands that make a one handed watch OR a jump hour? I actually like the styling on Meistersingers but there are many other watches I would buy with that money.

Why does TGV get so much shit around here? In the last thread people were saying it's unfortunate he's the largest watch youtuber and he's a douche etc, but I just don't see it. I pretty well enjoy every vid of his I watch.

I'm buying an SKX and I'm wondering how difficult it is to get into modding them? Since I've seen some really nice mods to the SKX's.

My condolences.

ezpz

He's paid to shill chinese """Swiss""" watches and is never critical of cheap dogshit because he cares more about the ad money he gets than telling the truth about a watch. He's the epitome of the nu-male Redditor watch collector as he's all style and no taste or class.

I think if someone is genuinely interested in horology ArchieLuxury is the best channel on the subject as he gives absolutely zero fucks if he offends someone for telling them that their watch is dogshit, and almost all of his recommendations are solid buys that actually retain value.

youtube.com/watch?v=fOYs84heDb4

Archie is the archetype of Seiko male while also being an actual fan of chink shitter "swiss" FIRST WATCH ON THE FUCKING MOON watches. TGV and Archie are so similar that they deserve each other imo. Fuck them both.

it wears the same sizer on you but the 007 just has a bigger "circle" if that makes any sense

He gets paid by Squeal and refuses to admit it.
He is a massive dick to other watch youtubers.
He refuses to be critical and see faults in something, he just complements it.
The whole fake classy royalty thing.
He pumps out low quality content.
His community is autistic and dont really know watches and they spam on forums like /r/watches about how good he is when he is being criticized.

>He's the epitome of the nu-male Redditor watch collector as he's all style and no taste or class.
Don't forget the thing about him wanting to sell his Patek and take out another $24k loan for what is essentially the Seiko SARB of luxury cars.

Wait I'm retarded, I thought you were talking about the OTHER tasteless hack that shills Chinese made Swatch products.

kek

With Apple finally adding LTE to the watch, this is truly all you need senpai.

Do you guys think that a 15 year old boy can handle a 400 dollar watch?

Fuck no

My son has recently got into watches (2 months) he takes good care of his watches, but I'm not quite sure about getting him a 400 dollar watch for his birthday.

To be fair, even Archie is way too focused on the perceived status of brands versus their underlying merits, but at least he isn't a paid shill and complete fraud like TGV and all the rest.

What kind of watch? I probably wouldn't go over 200 (think SKX) for a 15 year olds first timepiece, preferably even lower like a Seiko5, although my first watch and the one that got me into watches was a $600 citizen given to me by my grandfather, and I treated it like I'd drop dead if it got a single scratch on it (I still do 15 years later). What level of respect do you expect him to show it?

I still don't understand how you can compare a used piece of shit Maserati to a SARB. The SARB is more like a used entry level Lexus (boring but reliable rebadged Toyota) than that Maserati, which is much more like a heavily used no-papers ugly Zenith depreciated to fuck or something like that.

Fairly good, he's a responsable teen, pretty meticulous with his stuff. I think I'll get him a seiko diver.

My brother got a $350 watch when he was 16. He bequeathed it to our neighbor in his suicide note after never wearing it.
To answer your question, no.

Yeah like I said the SKX007 or 009 are probably the best bang for buck diver you could get and they're 200 or under. They can take a beating, keep good time and they can go a really long time without a service. What kind of watch did he ask you for?

Jesus man, that's pretty fucked up!

Don't forget V O S T O K

Are you implying he hated the watch so much he offed himself?

He wanted a Laco that he saw at longilandwatch.com, yes, he likes tgv.

>charge your watch everyday
No thanks

what did he mean by this?

its the price for 24 karat gold. watch cases are 18k. 75% gold 25% other shit to make it a lot more durable.

platinum in jewelry is like .995 platinum or some shit, like mostly platinum. you get more platinum in a case than gold, hence why its a little bit more.

just came back from a visit to an old watch shop

looks pretty ugly avoid

I suddenly want a Black Bay 36 or Heritage Ranger. Where does this feeling come from? Am I making a mistake anons?

36 too small for a man, especially for a diver, wtf is the point of making a diver with such small diameter? it defeats the original purpose of the big divers: BEING EASILY READABLE

Heritage Black Bay 36 is not a diver.

>Heritage Black Bay 36
oh i'm retarded, i was thinking of this one

Wow thats really nice too.

If only tudor would make a 36mm black bay with a rotating bezel like the larger ones.

I prefer the indices on this one, it's unique and a little different from the (ever growing) mountain of pale imitations to the sub, though Tudor is part of the Rolex family so it isn't fair to call it a homage. This one just has more flavour, though it's pretty unpopular around here due to the size on the wrist.

if only

i'm focused on the kinetic