/hpg/ - Headphone General

Requesting purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAJGGA2/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01NAJGGA2&pd_rd_r=a46909b5-baba-11e7-8cdf-51a46fae6b0a&pd_rd_w=aIKwJ&pd_rd_wg=NFzny&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=28CXB1X1ACG96WB697HW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop
soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm
stereophile.com/headphones/408/index.html
clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/04/sennheiser-hd-600-over-ear-headphones.html
superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/mrspeakers-Æon-flow-open-early-impressions-and-measurements.5257/#post-171379
en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650
en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias
m.ebay.com/itm/2x-Voshkod-6ZH1P-EV-6J1P-EV-Matched-Pair-Little-Dot-Amp-III-IV/142138665883
monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

this is a blue board, why is she sipping on a condom

That's a frozen ice treat food thingie.

>soundstage
>real

HD600 is for deaf old coons who need extra treble to compensate for their hearing loss. True golden ears prefer the HD650.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Why is the HD 600 so good?

>HD650
>not veiled muddy garbage
kek'd

b-b-but user I thought my 6xx was supposed to be good? I'm about to get it too

Wowie zowie, what a difference

What do you think about bandori?

>bandori
Haven't researched it yet. I'm somewhat interested because mimorin is voicing some character there.

She's a side character but the milky holmes cast does have a song.

Yeah... I'll get some BD-sourced release for the anime at some point.

HD600 has matched drivers.

are you going to post your cherrypicked GE graph to support your statement because all other measurements out there don't

It has matched drivers though, just stating a fact.

back up your fact with evidence

High frequency peaks and valleys can shift dramatically with very small changes in positioning of the headphones. I'm not entirely sure measurements are a reliable indicator of driver matching in the high frequencies because of this.

tyll's measurements show more than just high frequency issues.

One driver is pretty clearly defective on InnerFidelity's HD600 measurement, as evidenced by the THD measurement. I'm really surprised he hasn't bothered to measure a different pair. Something is clearly wrong with the test sample when the 90 dB THD measurement of one channel measures significantly worse than the 100 dB THD measurement of the other channel.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAJGGA2/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i3?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B01NAJGGA2&pd_rd_r=a46909b5-baba-11e7-8cdf-51a46fae6b0a&pd_rd_w=aIKwJ&pd_rd_wg=NFzny&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=28CXB1X1ACG96WB697HW&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1cf9d009-399c-49e1-901a-7b8786e59436&pf_rd_i=desktop

Yay or Nay?

No, and don't post referral links.

What am I getting myself into

It was stated on their website but has been removed.

Here is old data from reviewers:

soundstage.com/revequip/sennheiser_hd600.htm

stereophile.com/headphones/408/index.html

>It was stated on their website but has been removed.

Gee, user.

I wonder why...

>Here is old data from reviewers:

Not relevant

Requesting purchase advice
>Budget
$250 USD tops + shipment and taxes if buying from another country
>Location
Mexico
>Source
Fiio X5 III
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Pretty fucken' comfortable if possible, will be doing some travelling with them.
>Sound signature
Balanced or V-shaped

That doesn't mean that they stopped driver matching.

Look at how closely this unit is matched.

clarityfidelity.blogspot.com/2016/04/sennheiser-hd-600-over-ear-headphones.html

After owning over 100 headphones I can safely say that the only headphone that really gave me problems with driver matching was my DT250 80 ohm.

Not nearly as close as their measurement for the HD650.

It's not that big of a deal having unmatched drivers in your HD600, user. You probably don't even notice it.

getting some ma900s in the mail soon, any song recs to show what they can do?

>Budget
$140
>Location
USA
>Source
PC and maybe sometimes a phone
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I've lived with uncomfortable headphones all my life, so I can handle uncomfortable headphones. I'd prefer better sound over comfortableness.
>Sound signature
Balanced or Bassy

The best music to test new headphones out is always music that you're very familiar with and have been listening to a lot lately.

I'm so excited about the HD 660 S and Audeze LCD-2c. I'm not sure which to get.

>first headphones
>getting Magni 3/Modi 2

Any advice? I'm leaning towards the Audeze.

shit thats good advice

Aeon Flow Open is literally the best of both.

m40x

DT770\ custom studios

What does matched drivers mean?

Send pic of RMAF ticket

what does it sound like

superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/mrspeakers-Æon-flow-open-early-impressions-and-measurements.5257/#post-171379

Comparable to an HD650 but is a planar. How much more of a cross between the LCD2 and HD650 can it get? (Not to mention it's not heavy as fuck or built like shit like Audeze headphones)

en-us.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

>Systems with narrow tolerances (± 1 dB), hand-picked in pairs

To put it simply, the drivers in the HD600 are not hand-picked in comparison.

en-us.sennheiser.com/best-audio-headphones-high-end-stereo-hifi-hd-600

You can see the difference it makes in the graph here, for example: Although I've seen measurements of the HD600 before where the lack of matched drivers is much more apparent than that. The one there isn't really an issue

>tfw a $200 HD6XX has hand picked driver matching while the more expensive HD600 does not

You sweating?

Sweating fucking hard

>To put it simply, the drivers in the HD600 are not hand-picked in comparison.
HD600's drivers are matched though.

No they aren't, the manufacturing is just very tight and consistent. Pick related is a seperate pair of HD650 and HD6XX which wouldn't be 'matched' in the way you're implying, but they're still very close together, moreso than the drivers on many headphones. In fact these measurements look eerily similar to L/R measurements of HD600s online.

There is no evidence to support that, and not even Sennheiser claims they are. But it's not exactly a glaring flaw, just a reason to consider the HD650 instead. Only a difference of $30 on Amazon nowadays, but there's the HD6XX as well

HD600>HD650 and all subjective opinions to the contrary are objectively false.

Nobody cares about your shitty opinions /r/anime

There isn't and I just checked my old HD600 manual and it isn't even there but they did state a 1dB matching on their website many years ago.

The HD380 used 3dB matching.

I'd say we end this discussion as an unknown state since they do not state it on their website anymore and that doesn't prove that they stopped matching drivers.

You have no evidence to suggest they ever matched them in the first place.

>The HD380 used 3dB matching.
The HD580 used 3dB matching. My mistake.

I really need to fucking sleep.

>but they did state a 1dB matching on their website many years ago.
Not him. Find it with archive.org and post it then.

>Budget
$300-1000
>Location
US
>Source
Fulla 2
>Type of headphone
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Open, not against closed.
>Comfort level
Reasonable at least
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
HD 600, DT770, CB-1, Carbo Tenore.

Considering the Audeze LCD-2, Oppo PM-3, or 712 Pro as a logical next addition to my current setup. Anything in the higher end of my budget I should look into?

>In cognitive science, choice-supportive bias or post-purchase rationalization is the tendency to retroactively ascribe positive attributes to an option one has selected. It is a cognitive bias. For example, if a person chooses option A instead of option B, they are likely to ignore or downplay the faults of option A while amplifying those of option B. Conversely, they are also likely to notice and amplify the advantages of option A and not notice or de-emphasize those of option B.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choice-supportive_bias

what new pads?

Sennheiser ones

Why does the HD 600 get all this love/hate?

Shills shitposting and anti-shills shitposting

will the 6xx come with those?

Because it's the 3rd most neutral full sized open headphone in production.

The actual most neutral headphones (SRH1440/1840) are no-bass shit.

Yes? What do you think they come with

>why does the 600 get all the love
It's a good headphone

>why does it get all the hate
It's too good

old pads, of course

>superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/mrspeakers-Æon-flow-open-early-impressions-and-measurements.5257/#post-171379

Considering it's not that much of an improvement, I'll stick with my HD6XX.

Now the closed back version I'm more interested in, something I could use in the office that was as good or almost as good would be great.

The closed version honestly looks better measurement-wise anyway.

This question is half /csg/ half /hpg/

Does anyone know anything about this brand? The unit looks like everything I'm looking for: bluetooth, usb, headphone jack, not $4k.

reviews are mixed, and I'm okay trying it for $150. Just curious if anyone's got any experience with the brand

Og He-400s are all you need

i have the sa-50, it never gave any issues
just be aware that the headphone jack on the ad-18 is kind of shit, the only reason to buy it over other devices is if you need to add a remote to your speakers

Is it me or is Audio Technica's wing headband system much shitter when they changed it and added the -x suffix to their A- and AD- lines?

Would it be worse than generic headphone inputs? I'm okay sacrificing some headphone quality for the convenience of bluetooth and usb connection at the price

i forgot one thing, the 80W power rating is for 4ohm speakers, if you use 8ohm it'll be about 40W, probably only 25-30W with low distortion
it's still more than enough for desktop settings

better than a pc's, worse than most cheap headphone amps

>Hifiman
Not even once.

sold

Some serious QC issues with some of their products, SMSL M3 for example. But if you can just send that thing back to Amazon if it turns out to be a piece of shit, it might be worth a try.

Why is the HD 800 so fucking good? This is the best $600 I've spent ever.

It's awful stock.

Can't hear what people complain about, aging and hearing damage finally working out for me!

Which is funny, I could hear it on the M1060 and did the fuzor mod/pad swap to calm it, but HD 800 just sounds good.

I tried out the HD 800S today and didn't hear much of an improvement, although it did have a nicer look, but not $1400 nicer.

Depends on what you're already used to, after owning the HD 800 S for a month or so I went to the store and demo'd the HD 800 again and they were painful to listen to, though depending on the track they were quite tolerable on the HDVD800 for whatever reason.

>Budget
max 300$
>Location
Europe
>Source
iPhone and PC
>Type of headphone
Small over ear, or comfy on ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Pretty high
>Sound signature
rich bass with a lot of sub bass, decent mids and and non piercing highs since sensitive
>Past favourite headphones
Dt770, X2, Apple earpods

Cheap excellent iems also accepted around 50$

The lord thy god in heaven hath given me his blessing to lead ye wretched sinners away from the ignorant lies and injustice of these cursed blasphemers so that you need not languish in torment for hearing the foul cacophanies of your heathen 'phones.

I'm here to tell you boys that the way out of the bottle is clear, and that the true path into righteousness and eternal life points to itself. And that truth, o' my blessed brothers, is the ROCK Zircon. Now go, go and thank the mighty father who sheds the blood of his only son that you might be shown his mercy for gifting thee with such a majestic and awesome way to receive his rapture.

would the shit fulla 2 be a noticeable improvement from fiio K1 with HAD 600s? I know on paper the schiit is much better but I'm talking real world perceivable differences here not 0.0000001% THD autism.

the fulla will be louder
that's it

They're both shit

What do you use?

Getting some tubes for the little dot mkII, I heard these pretty good, suggestings?
m.ebay.com/itm/2x-Voshkod-6ZH1P-EV-6J1P-EV-Matched-Pair-Little-Dot-Amp-III-IV/142138665883

monoprice.com/product?p_id=11567

I've tried these exact ones on that exact tube amp and couldn't hear a difference, but I couldn't hear much of a difference in general even with the tube so..

> not using completely neutral solid state amplifiers

Shame.

>tfw when you're can't afford both a tube and a solid state

By afford I think you mean "waste"

you don't belong here

It's back to the HD800S again after my new SR-007 crapped the bed and had to be sent to Japan for RMA.

Honestly I think I would be more than satisfied if these were my "end-game" cans. They sound marvelous with better audio chains.

>tfw waiting for headphones, DAC and amp in the mail
>tfw new speakers arrived today

when did you realise that sound actually has to be coloured to be neutral?

>Speakers arrived before headphones/IEM

Rip those. At least if it was the other way around, you'd get a solid few days of usage out the headphones before the speakers arrived and you never wanted to use the headphones again.

You positive it was the headphones and not the amp? Pretty rare for a STAX to die, even rarer for it not to just need a new cord when it does.