Land of the FreeBSD

>Try Ubuntu
crashes within 20m of finishing installing, shit as hell default desktop environment
>Try Manjaro
fails to install on 6 machines, same for sabayon.
>Fedora, Centos, Redhat
bloated, all packages are ancient, not even that many of them
>Antergos
crashy and buggy bullshit

>FreeBSD
just works desu, 0 problems, literally the best open source OS. Give me one real reason you aren't using FreeBSD over lincucks right now.

You can't.

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Gentoo
>Opensuse
>Arch
Did you even try, brainlet?

If your ubuntu crashed within 20 minutes you did something wrong and you can change desktop environmemt..

install openbsd.

>Gentoo
Like I am going to reinvent the wheel and spend a month compiling shit to use that barely functional "OS"
A grub prompt is more useful.
>OpenSUSE
Installer freezes, total garbage just like every linux OS.
>Arch
See the reason I won't use genpoo

oh yeah i did something wrong on the ubunpoo installer

lmao

>security by being unable to do literally anything

lmao

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

FreeBSD can easily be setup to used as a Workstation/desktop or server.

But... with linux, have fun either trimming out all the bloat and or reinventing the wheel and building everything from the ground up.

This is going to be a GREAT thread
Rev up those legal documents, boys

Ach is not source based.
Arch install is minimal but it has pretty much everything in pacman+AUR. Its purpose is not minimal builds but easyness of installing anything you may need.

Which DE did you choose for Antergos?
You must have shit PC and picked KDE or Gnome.

>cuck license
no thanks

>Try BSD
>Won't work because I have a PC less than 2 years old
>Use Linux
>Just werks

>fedora
>all packages are ancient
>first distro to support Wayland out of the box
>ancient

>Look how stupid I am guys.

>>Try Ubuntu
>crashes within 20m of finishing installing, shit as hell default desktop environment
You mean Gnome? Just stop using Gnome.

>>Fedora, Centos, Redhat
>bloated, all packages are ancient, not even that many of them
Why would you just lie on the internet like that?

>>FreeBSD
>just works desu, 0 problems, literally the best open source OS. Give me one real reason you aren't using FreeBSD over lincucks right now.
>You can't.
Ok, pic related. I'm the OpenBSD Chad that fucks your mom. It's called OpenBSD because she keeps her legs wide open for me. FreeBSD leaves you free of any and all pussy, dumb virgin.

Wow, I actually read through this whole thing. It seems like security is at the bottom of FreeBSD's priority list.

wasn't Hannah Montana Linux the first distro to ship Wayland?

I've heard many FreeBSD devs complaining that they can't push changes fast enought because leaders just don't react. Maybe there is something into it.

Because there exists OpenBSD.

That comics sucks. GNU GPL is very long because it contains definition of every relevant word and wording, yet comics GNU/dad does not explain what "toy" or "borrow" is, does not explain ownership of toy or consequential licensing of modifications or fan-fiction around the toy.

>yet comics GNU/dad does not explain what "toy" or "borrow" is

>"The Program" refers to ...
>To "modify" a work means to ...
>A "covered work" means ...
>To "propagate" a work means to ...
>To "convey" a work means ...
>The "source code" for a work means ...
>A "Standard Interface" means ...
>The "System Libraries" of an executable work include ...
>The "Corresponding Source" for a work in object code form means ...
>A "User Product" is ...
>"Installation Information" for a User Product means ...
>"Additional permissions" are terms that ...
>An "entity transaction" is a ...
>A "contributor" is a
>...
You think I'm shitting you? GPL is a dictionary, not a software license.

>muh compile times
Needed two hours to get to a working setup with XFCE and firefox and that was on a 2670qm. Sounds like PEBKAC.

Honestly, I'd rather go back to OpenBSD becasue of . I'm only using FreeBSD now because I have a project at the moment and can't be arsed to change OSes when I'm so fucking busy.

I used to use OpenBSD on my lappys ten+ years ago, it's pretty good and at the time I took advantage of Linux compat to enhance desktop usage. It would be nice if that were still available, but then again now you're forced to use free software and the free software landscape is much improved.

What exactly is it that you want to compile when installing arch?

I hadn't really touched FreeBSD since the v5 debacle but I gave FreeBSD11 a fair whirl as the primary OS on my desktop computer, gave it six months. It was pretty good but there were many things which annoyed me:

>no good defaults
Literally have to configure everything yourself, it's like Debian used to be back in the 90s.
>joypad support a chore
Fuck what a total chore.
>rolling pkg updates
After getting a lot of things configured, the pkg updates rev'd version and broke my configs.

I went back to Ubuntu MATE which felt identical but everything just worked. I would recommend trying FreeBSD to someone wanting to get a taste for more flavours of Unix, but really find it hard to recommend over OpenBSD which has many interesting features to study.

Sorry for being a noob but I got lately into Linux a little bit and now I am searching for a new challenge. I want to try a new OS after Mint etc. And wanted to ask if Gentoo or Arch or something else is better for me to understand Linux more

> one real reason
I need to build everything due to a "security" philosophy. I need to deal with bare jails instead of comfy LXC/Docker. Upgrades are painful, coreutils lack GNU features. BSD vs. Linux is like that GNU/Car vs. Tesla picture (protip: BSD isn't a Tesla), literally have to rig and organize everything by hand, to the point where Nginx, Apache, Postgres and other utils do not have a dedicated config folder, there's one config file for everything out of the box, at best. Same for system files: one file for isolated environments, networking configs and enabling Unicode.

anything without graphical environment preinstalled so you know what to set up

>Fedora
>Ancient
you stupid motherfucker

Fedora bloated and ancient? ROFL think again

Yes the whole GNU enterprise is an autistic one. Good point

There's nothing leet about configuring X and desktops, in fact it's the most plebiean thing possible and X pretty much just works now. In the old days you had to hand-craft the X configs and many other things. Save your configuration study for subjects which will actually teach you someting worthwhile.