Sorry, I just need to rant somewhere

>3 weeks ago
>yes, i'm finally not poorfag and I can play some modern games after years now
>bought expensive Dell gayming laptop for 1400 EUR (yeah, I'm faggot, but I had my reasons to not buy desktop)
>install windows
>found out it can't recover from any form of sleep/hibernation
>do factory reset
>now it's working
>fast forward few weeks
>decide to install Fedora as dualboot, so I can work on my side project
>install it
>found out I have to manually go to bios and change SATA settings every fucking time I want to change OS (Windows won't boot with AHCI, Fedora won't bott with RAID)
>it starts slow as fuck
>won't shut down or restart, have to turn it off by pressing the power button
>fuck this shit, I'm going to try Ubuntu instead, maybe there is something wrong with drivers Fedora is using and I heard Ubuntu and Dell work fine
>download Ubuntu
>fucks something up during installation process (custom partitioning, so I can have dualboot)
>somehow windows boot partition got deleted
>can't boot windows now, both with uefi and legacy bios
>tried every fix with recovery usb and command prompt, nothing works
>it says it can't find any bootable OS
>so the only thing I can do now is to set bios to legacy mode and AHCI and then boot Ubuntu, but again, it won't shut down, same as Fedora.
>wants to return the laptop badly, but they probably won't take it, because "no hardware failure"
>mfw I completely fucked up
Why the fuck does not 1400 eur expensive laptop work out of the box? I thought Dell is respectable company, but this is pure scam.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Laptops are for fags

tl;dr

Lol should've bought a desktop bro

just reinstall clean windows.

You have a working laptop, you try to put another operating system on it and you have issues so you moan about it?

Get over yourself

Nigga you dumb.

Dude VMWare or VirtualBox.

delete fucking everything and then start from scratch. stop doing your own "custom partitioning" and just use the defaults because you're obviously fucking something up. give windows however much you need (and install it first) and then leave the rest of the hard drive unpartitioned. install ubuntu, let ubuntu do the work for you and live with it. you seriously are doing something completely fucking stupid with your custom partitioning. not only that but you shouldnt have to go into the bios every time you want to change os. the only issue you should ever have with linux on a dell gaymen laptop is with nvidia drivers. ive installed many different distros on my dell gaymen laptop no problem and the dell gaymen laptops from the past 3 years or so are all the fucking same thing.

I didn't see dualboot option in Ubuntu installer. It had only "wipe disk and install Ubuntu" option or custom partitioning

>It had only "wipe disk and install Ubuntu"

that's because your entire harddrive was partitioned as NTFS

don't partition your entire harddrive for Windows, reinstall windows on its own partition, install Ubuntu on its own partition, you can't install Ubuntu over an existing NTFS partition

you dumb fuck

this man has it right: if you follow the instructions i gave then you will be fine. use windows installer to delete all partitions, then carve out your windows partition and leave the rest unpartitioned. and before you install windows make sure that you have your boot settings the way you want it. GRUB and windows boot mgr will work fine with bios default, as uefi isnt an issue with ubuntu (idk about fedora im not that autistic). id recommend just installing with bios defaults and then just dicking around from there if you even need to.

you'll see "install -whichever flavor of ubuntu- along side windows" when you start the installation process, it'll be selected by default

>Fedora won't bott with RAID
You fucked with the laptop's raid and powermanagement systems, and it's dells fault?

Thanks lad, I will do it tonight. I just have to somehow use the Dell Recovery Image, because otherwise I lost my Windows license, or not? I'd prefer not to pirate it if I can have official one

i heard Sup Forumsentoo fixes everything like magic

Give it back, tell them you wanted to buy it for some linux science fuckery.

Mention that you looked it up and it became apparent that compatibilty is a no-no.

Get your money back.

>t. EU lawyer

ya np. i deleted the recovery image a long time ago so i can't help ya there. should be able to download it off of their website though.

calm down, this guy isnt as autistic as you are

>installs linux over windows
>wtf it wont work??

When will FOSS weenies learn.

>Dell gayming laptop for 1400 EUR

Should've bought a Macbook Pro with touchbar. Bootcamp works brilliantly.

weeks ago
>>fast forward few weeks
You can't even make sense in your own imaginary timeline.
>fucks up partitioning
>can't just install it again

Most laptops that come with OEM windows have a sticker with the license key on it somewhere.

>Dell
>Ubuntu
oh boy

>gayming laptop
stopped reading

Try not being retarded HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. also just use a vm you retard, dual booting is shit

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

eat a dick retard

you fell for the gaming laptop meme

how is he wrong? youre the one that fucked up

Should've bought a thinkpad and installed 2 2.5" ssds

>I had my reasons to not buy desktop
no you didnt. most people who say this would be just fine with a desktop. you dont need much power on the go.

>laptop work out of the box?
It worked when you factory reset it, you fucked it up. Dell is awful, you should return it anyway.

>I thought Dell is respectable company

Laptops have non standard partitions. It's more complicated to install a 2nd OS on them than it is with a desktop.

>t. idiot

do you have an NVMe drive per chance? if so, that's why. you're gonna have to wait for kernel development to catch up a bit.

>buy craptop with intel cpu which doesn't have working pstates
>dualboot winblows with some faggot unstable distro
>halp
Serves you right.

>bought expensive gaming laptop

>gayming laptop
You brought this on yourself, famalam.

You can recover your windows installation but, yeah, don't buy Dell if you plan to use anything other than Windows.

Please tell me this is some kind of bait and OP isn't actually this retarded.

OP here.

I was fixing it till 3 am yesterday. Used Dell Recovery OS to factory reset Windows, haven't touched it at all and just installed Ubuntu again, this time with the proper dualboot option. It had issues with both suspend and shutdown, but after installing all propietary drivers and messing with grub config files it looks to be working for now. The next step will be to force Windows 10 to boot in AHCI mode, I read you can change that in registry but I will decide based on how much will I actually use it.

Thanks for all advices Sup Forumsents.

>change SATA settings every fucking time I want to change OS (Windows won't boot with AHCI, Fedora won't bott with RAID)
You are literally retarded, it is fixed with one flag in registry. Don't blame microsoft/redhat/dell for your incompetence.

You suffer well for a retard who bought a gaming laptop. Enjoy your misery, I know I am.

Your own fault for not getting a chinkpad.

>You didn't buy a laptop with a preinstalled OS
>You didn't make regular Backups
>You didn't make a Backup BEFORE YOU TRIED TO INSTALL A DIFFERENT OS
>You are too dumb to install Fedora right.
>You are too dumb to install Ubuntu without fucking up the boot partition.

>I thought Dell is respectable company, but this is pure scam.
It is not Dells fault if their user is a computer illiterate moron who can not be trusted with an administrator account or a BIOS password.
Seriously, if you do not know how to operate a computer properly then do not try to do "advanced" stuff such as installing a second OS.

>respectable
>company
L
O
L

should have bought a macbook faggot

Good, I though you can't boot into is with legacy or uefi kek.

Underrated Post!
>Composed on a Duelboot T460 with my T430 next to me doing a battery gauge reset on a sideloaded Lenovo Settings running Windows 10 LTSB.

Git good scrub, and stop blaming othe people.

Sounds like you're just dumb. Sorry...

This
Also reset your UEFI/BIOS to defaults