Microphones general /mpg/

It's about time we had a thread dedicated to microphones

What is the opinion of the Blue Snowball? Are there any other competitive microphones in the sub $60 price range? Is there a noticeable difference in voice quality versus the ice version?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0007NQH98/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B0007NQH98&linkCode=w61&imprToken=rzi07abzrP.ZPG9i7ig6rg&slotNum=1&tag=gr-02-20
amazon.com/dp/B0007NQH98
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Make sure you record in a soundproofed room, or at the least, under a blanket. Don't fuck with USB mics because they're trash and have way too much noise. Get the one linked below and a decent soundcard if you really care about audio fidelity. This is not a meme, or me shilling for MXL. I bought a blue yeti years ago and upgraded to this for less than half the price.

amazon.com/dp/B0007NQH98/ref=as_at?creativeASIN=B0007NQH98&linkCode=w61&imprToken=rzi07abzrP.ZPG9i7ig6rg&slotNum=1&tag=gr-02-20

I'm really just interested in a good quality microphone thats not too expensive, not interested in getting a soundcard either, I'm not trying to record a studio album here or anything

Blue a shit cus no fucking controls at all.

just buy this neewer kit for $40 with phantom power supply. if you need a better mic later you could just change it with a more expensive one and keep the boom arm, phantom power supply, shock mount and pop filter

What are we trying to do here? Competitive gaming? Stream? Podcast?

Not OP but I been looking at a Blue Snowball ICE and all I'm doing is chatting in discord and in-game and maybe some Youtube shit.

Just discord and voice chatting

then ur dumb

is the electrical interference from USB mics a thing?

It's a
>retard who thinks anyone cares about hearing his voice a little more clearly than with any whatever the fuck headset mic episode

Newsflash faggot, nobody cares about your 100$ dildo mic.

Some people with autism have issues noises and such.

jokes on you faggot, my M40Xs dont have mic

Can I just plug the XLR->3.5mm cable from the phantom power into a $5 USB DAC/ADC ("sound card") like pic related? Or do I need a more serious "sound interface" setup?

I got one for cheap on ebay, it's very nice for my usages (pretty much the same as yours).
Best mic I've had.

>ANOTHER FUCKING """GENERAL"""

i don't really know but guess so. the power supply is just sending a normal audio signal, every mic in should work

>opinion of the Blue Snowball
I've heard it sucks.

>any other competitive microphones in the sub $60 price range
They're all shit. Just do some research, watch reviews on youtube and you'll see for youself how much they suck.

Truth is, a good mic is not cheap and if you want the whole setup, it could cost you more than the mic itself, depending on how much quality you want to get out of that mic.

I'm surprised Walmart sells these in-store.

just got this yesterday, can't believe how OP it is

I just like to shout "Taiwan numba wuan" on the plane in PUBG in the Asia server when I play that game once in a blue moon. Otherwise, it is for talking with friends. I also use the audio interface for rocksmith.

moron

amazon.com/dp/B0007NQH98

if usb mics are trash why does every dac connect through usb in the end

i still cant believe what terrible hi-res DAPs recorders make... they record great but the playback and file navigation is always meh

the H6 nav menu feels intuitive to me but yeah the file management absolutely sucks..

what are you using for editing?

diamond cut forensics 8 for editing and noise removal and cdwav to generate a .cue file

also the virtual valve phono stage plugin is ironically great

The least expensive professional quality microphone you can buy is a Shure SM57. They're always available in any recording studio anywhere. The President of the US normally uses 2 of them when making speeches.
If you want something a little better suited for vocals instead of instrument recording, try a Shure SM58.
They're each about $100.
If you want a real sound interface for your computer instead of some shitty "audio card", try something in the Focusrite Scarlett series. I think you can get the least expensive one for about $100. Plug your mic right into it. Make sure it has a headphone jack and outputs for studio monitors.
Later you can get a set of studio monitors, or at least decent headphones, and have a 10X better sound system than you could get with any superduper computer sound card and wahooie speakers that you'd probably blow > $500 on.

I remember back when the snowball was 40 dollars and the yeti was 90, at those prices it wasn't all that bad. Stupid streamers driving up the prices.

We've got one of these at work, seems like it's all you'd ever want in a portable mic. I should pull it out and futz with it next week.

I laughed.

e609 a cute!

The cheapest mic worth using the SM57/SM58. You still need a decent pre-amp, the 2i2 is the cheapest that fits the bill.
If you have some more cash to blow, the SM7B is excellent for the money.
Audio isn't cheap, if you try to go the cheap route you're only going to end up disappointed.

You have to stick your face right on top of dynamic mics though, kind of annoying desu

have you seen the mics in /csg/ ? some of them are great

i think mics are vastly overated these days (mono, dickiing around with xlr cables and phantom power)

all in one recorders are just so freaking handy and love that proper soundfield and ambience you get from the coincident pair

t. sm58, ecm8000, zoomh4 owner

I posted this on /csg/ a couple of weeks ago, but here is my $1 eBay microphone mounted on my SHP9500s.

So, are you faggots just gonna parrot Weegee Plays?

Looks fucking neat.