/wt/ - Watch Thread When did Luch become a meme?

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for noobies:
youtube.com/watch?v=JubQL6yw8ck

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> Watch essentials 102: pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/four-revolutions-fashion-watches
meranom.com/en/amphibian-se/150se/vostok-watch-amphibian-se-150re2l2.html
electric-watches.co.uk/service-and-repair/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

black day wheel to be installed on this

Just hide the day wheel, fucking useless complication.
Yes, black day is still better than white on that piece.

Will look nice my dude.

this

>useless complication
I regularly forget what day it is. It's handy to know at a glance.

Maybe, but I like it. Plus, the black day wheel will be used with the japanese markings.

How much longer do we have to spend at this decompression depth Akira ?

WEDNESDAY THE 25TH

Akira? how much time has elapsed look at your bezel

ITS WEDNESDAY

makes sense

all jokes aside the day date removed a lume marker on a serious tool dive watch is borderline retarded

Not this meme again.

KEK

he's right, stupid. no date, or nothing.

way to fuck up a dial with a date.

How long do saturation divers go down for?

What did you wear today /wt/?

You don't necessarily need to even be at depth for a long time. 1 minute at 100' on regular oxygen could give you narcosis. timing is crucial.

6-8 hour shifts for sat divers, on 30-day rotations in the diving bell btw.

>on 30-day rotations in the diving bell btw.
so there is situations on a diver watch were day and date could be useful. Gets me thinking about how it's not a totally useless function (though I do agree it ruins the dial).

Absolutely. Full stop. Not open for debate.

love having alarm and hourly chime more than i thought i would

eventually will upgrade to the solar one with the red border.

You think commercial divers have a display case like us autists do, dispshit? You think at 4PM they hop out of the diving bell and switch their 200m for a casual day-date for the rest of the day? Is that what you think you dumb animal?

Does /wt/ approve of fossil?

No, but its your money so at the end of the day you do you.

Got bored and took a couple of photos

Thanks for the reply, can you redpill me on fossil watches?

The dial has a nice glossiness which is hard to photograph, the 214270 is more matte instead.

Nice 114270. That and the oysterquartz are the only two rolexes I'd actually buy.

You're a chinkshitter, lurk more faggot

I don't know what those retards do. I know they have an extremely high fatality rate.

And so I enjoy my BB (no date) and my Ceramic no date Sub.

Suck balls gypsy

Vintage watches are factually better looking than modern watches.

You're on a temporary block (Sup Forums Gold) for that photo/watch.

Over priced for what they are. That's about it really. You might find this article about fashion watches interesting. hodinkee.com/articles/four-revolutions-fashion-watches
Basically sold watches on looks rather than being cood watches.

Some of the wealthiest people I know own an Explorer. Sometimes only an Explorer. I can't blame them, it's a hell of a watch.

Permanently Blocked you piece of shit.

Blocked for inbloc

my nigguh

SDGM003

Do you wear flannels everyday?

>He can't read a watch without it actually telling him what the 12 individual indices mean

it really is that one watch.

Why? Even in the dark you know there's an index where the gap of light is.

the guy is literally made of maple syrup bro give him a break.

There is even lume there it's just a short slither.

what is this dial?

Why are you defending this? the defense is most people wear them and don't dive with them so they may want a day date complication. There is no defense in terms of tool design. If you want a watch as an actual dive watch it would have no day date as they are useless and the extra lume could prove beneficial.

i really hate those dials like the cocktail time. I much prefer a traditional sunburst dial.

It's a custom dial made to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Voskhod 2. You can still get the regular 150 GMT though.

Do you wrap them over your fists?? wtf

Only when taking watch pictures. Can't stop flannelposting now, after all.

The black guilloche sunburst is pretty subtle in person, unlike the cream version. I really like it, but to each their own.

Interesting. What is the red part used for?

It finally got cold here, so I can start flannel posting again soon.

Doesn't matter, it's ISO certified for diving.

Right Seiko male?

dont you dare insult fat canadian

I think so too... I'm thinking it's a must-have.

Leonov's first space walk lasted 12 minutes and 9 seconds. The blue and black bezel is the horizon of Earth seen from space.

It's meant to symbolize the 12~13 minutes that Alexey Leonov spent on the spacewalk.

Where to buy?

Limited edition.

I think it was a special commemorative edition, but you can still find it on Meranom although it's not in stock. It's more of a reference at that point really.
meranom.com/en/amphibian-se/150se/vostok-watch-amphibian-se-150re2l2.html

Is that the name of the online store?

hello i recently got into watches and started buying some prerequisites like all posible colors and dimensions of NATO straps using by teh military of the Netherlands this was on of the first recommendations TGV gave me when i requested him for advise on his patreon account. As you may notice having this many straps make me automatically a alpha male so retrain your self of calling me a faggot and proceed to the actual petition i will give you. I'm looking for a watch that wont fit a standard strap so i have to buy more of them also if its possible the recommended watch has to be in an acceptable price range and if possible not mechanical (mechanical watches are to ewww) an acceptable price would be something below 69 euros and above 12 euros. much thx for your attention.

I like old stuff.

Very cool, thanks.

help which one?
Most metal bands are uncomfortable with the exception of a rolex I tried on.but I feel like this one is quality
I also think the leather is more versatile but I don't know

Thoughts on this watch, /wt/?

Would I need to restore this watch or just change the battery? It belonged to my grandfather and is from the early 60's I believe. It's a movement with an electronic fork of which I know very little.

Bracelet > leather strap imo.

I would go right. I like blue though. You can replace the bracelet with a leather strap when you want too.

Does it work? If so, I'd just replace the battery and possibly get it serviced, I think restoring it would be disrespectful in some ways and ruin the sentiment of grandpas watch.

Do you know when it was last serviced? If not you should probably assume it needs one. Research into who can service tuning fork movements. Omega themselves could do it, but you'd be paying out the ass to do it (think around $1k).

just get the amphibia; the coolest part is the case design.

I was kidding, I'd never buy a soviet shitter, much less one with BBC printed on the dial lmao

I meant service so it works, not restore my bad. Not sure if it works I guess the battery has run out.

I have no idea, I'm even having trouble finding out what exact model it is. It probably needs a service though since I can't even remember him ever wearing it. I'll look into it, are tuning fork services generally this expensive or? I read these movements Omega used in that time period were really top notch so I kinda wanna make it work.

What's the opinion on modded Seiko's around here?

If it looks good, it looks good.

somebody shop the JUST hair onto this watch

Started my first tech job yesterday. Apart from the usual motivation, I am planning to buy a SKX013 or a Citizen NY2300 after I get through 3 months with good QAs and KPIs. I will have to wear them in person first to see if they would fit a 6 inch wrist, however. I have a feeling that the SKX013 (38mm) will be the only watch that fits my wrists. Everything else mid-size is probably out of my budget ($300) AFAIK.

What beaters does /wt/ recommend?

I'm thinking of getting a citizen nighthawk

Mostly cringe especially when the mods cost more than the watch.

SKX

The movement is an esa9162. Omega probably can't service it but there are independents who can

Jesus christ, that looks terrible. Why not change the dial as well if you want to do a PO homage? Also, it's not that much work to get the bezel insert to sit flush. god damn.

Seiko Mods in general are a lot of fun if you do them yourself. Homages are gay, but you can create some really unique looking mods.

nice selection, put a price on the Omega, Rolex and Sarb035 please shipped to the west coast

I rather the 214270, to me its the perfect all around Rolex. That being said I will never buy one because fucking neighbor has the 114270 and can't stop throwing it in everyone's face to the point that no one is left that is still impressed.

Shoot electric-watches an email, see if they'll service it for you.

electric-watches.co.uk/service-and-repair/

Some look pretty good.

It makes zero sense to buy a Seiko SARX without the bracelet, as the manufacturing quality and finishing quality on the bracelet are a large part of the point of the SARX and Brightz line-ups. The strap version is nowhere near cheaper enough compared to the bracelet version to be a sensible option.

Fuck, don't post that, I'm trying to resist the urge to buy one of those for fucks sakes.

No ceramic, no date sub? No Daytona?

huh.

>date sub
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, can you leave?

The only other rollies I actually would like to own are unobtanium tier because of their rarity (like a paul newman, 6538 sub, 1016 explorer, 6541 milgauss, etc). However the 114270 and oysterquartz can still be had for 5k, give or take.

Literally the only thing I like better about the newer 214270 is the slick lume. I guess the movement is improved too but not enough to make a big difference.

Daytona's fucking ugly. Personally the Rolexes I like most besides my Explorer would be the 1675 GMT, Oysterquartz, and some sort of simple steel DJ.

The Omegas and the quartz Seiko and the Rolex all have sentimental value, sorry user.

Reminder that the only other ways to get a 62mas in

it says "no date sub"

kys with a .45 shot through your reptile brain.

fair enough and understood friend

>No ceramic, no date sub? No Daytona?
Yes because we're meant to know what you mean when you're too stupid to use hyphenation.

oh. i'm a fan of panda chronographs.

frankly I don't trust one who doesn't fancy a panda (reverse or otherwise).

everyone else understood, because they're not A. autistic, or B. downish.

.45 round through your cerebellum. THANKS.

Panda chronographs are nice, I like the old-school Heuer Carreras and all that. The Daytona just has an ugly dial, I don't like it. I will never understand the insanity around the Paul Newman Daytona.

>brainlet, the post